Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#51056 04/07/08 02:04 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I can't decide what to make of this. Is Clark being incredibly kind or is he just short-sighted and selfish to marry her? Probably both.

First thing I thought was 'What? Are you crazy?? Interesting choice of solution to your problems. Teenage marriage. Like that's not gonna go south fast.'

Or is it? I can't see it lasting, but at the same time I can't see him leaving her. So the question becomes will she learn to love him in time to save the marriage? My guess is not. They'll go their separate ways for several years and then find their way back to eachother. That at least is a given, right? No Tank endings allowed here.

Nicely done Carol. smile

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I thought this was really, really good!

I was upset when seventeen-year-old Lois married Clark in another fic because she was pregnant with another man's child. I just couldn't stand the way this situation seemed to turn our favorite couple into Saint Clark and Slutty Lois, and it didn't help that the kid would be a constant reminder of Clark's chastity and Lois's lack of it. Of course I know that Clark would love Lois's child as if it was his own, and he would never blame Lois for getting pregnant by another man, and I'm certainly not saying that all those who loved this story was wrong about that. It was just totally wrong for me.

Oh, but this situation is totally different! Lois has three things to choose between: staying with Aunt Louise (like the name, by the way, since it may have had something to do with why Lois was called Lois), going into foster care, or marrying Clark. In so many ways, marrying Clark seems infinitely preferable. However, I was really glad when Lois said this:

"Clark..." She took a deep breath and started again. "Clark, marriage implies... certain things..."
Yes, it does! I'm so glad that Lois pointed out that she wasn't ready for this. Of course she isn't. She has no romantic feelings for him at all, so why would she want to have sex with him? Of course she wouldn't, and she trusts him enough to tell him so. I liked Clark's answer even more:

Clark chuckled. "Lois, I understand what you're saying. Don't worry about it." He stroked her cheek gently. "I would never pressure you or ask you to do something you aren't comfortable with."
I totally believe him! This is my kind of Saint Clark. This is the Saint Clark who won't have sex with Lois until he knows without a doubt that she is ready for it.

Lois breathed a sigh of relief. "I know that, Clark, but what about Social Services?"
I'm glad that Lois is relieved about Clark and worried about Social Services.

"What about them?"

"They'll want to do home visits right?"

He shrugged. "Probably."

"Then for Lucy's sake, everyone has to believe it is a real marriage. That we got married because we're in love and not to just keep us out of the system."

"Not a problem. We will get a place in the city somewhere. A two bedroom if we can afford it and I can sleep on the floor in our room."

Lois sighed. "No. That wouldn't be fair. We'll share." She grinned at him for the first time that evening. "Just no funny stuff, mister."
Good!

He laughed just a little bit and leaned over to kiss her on the cheek. "No funny stuff." He got down on one knee and pulled a box out of his jacket pocket. "Lois, will you marry me?"

Lois gasped. "Clark, where did you get that ring? It's beautiful."

"It was my mom's. She would want you to have it."
Aaaawww. That's beautiful. I love that it was his mom's ring.

She had his mother's wedding band tucked safely away and she'd raided her secret stash to buy Clark a ring the day before. Who knew you could get a wedding ring for under forty bucks? She hadn't told him that though – she hadn't even told him she'd bought it. It wasn't a very nice one, but someday – if this all worked out – she'd get him a better ring. And have it engraved. Engraving for this one was too expensive. Hers was engraved. His parents had had them engraved when they got married. Hers said 'I've loved you since the beginning...' His dad's had said, '...I'll love you till the end', but his dad's had been lost over the years.
So moving. Lois bought Clark a ring. Her parents' rings had been engraved. Her mother's ring had said 'I've loved you since the beginning...' and her father's had said 'I'll love you till the end', but his ring had been lost. How typical, and how appropriate. Because I don't believe he loved her till the end, even though he did come back to her.

Ten minutes later, the minister said the magic words. The words that would keep her and Lucy out of foster care.
But I can't help it, this is so sad. Lois said 'I do', because those were the magic words which would keep her and Lucy out of foster care. She didn't say them because she loved Clark, not that way anyway.

Clark placed on hand on the side of her face and leaned in until his lips gently touched hers. A shock ran through him, leaving him tingling from the roots of his invulnerable hair to the tips of his invulnerable toes. This was what he had longed for since he first set eyes on a young lady most would have described as a gawky preteen, but who he always thought was beautiful; since he'd kissed her the first time on that rock years earlier. It was only a brief kiss, simply the merest touching of the lips, but it was enough to solidify in his mind that he had done the right thing. The slightest hint of a return kiss was enough for him to know that someday she would feel the way he did.

That his *wife* would someday love him the way he loved her.
Aaaawww!!! That's just lovely.

The older woman nodded. "They're my family and I would take care of them as best I could, but, in general, I don't like children. Lois and Lucy are the only two I could ever tolerate – even their father as a child..." She let the sentence trail off. "Besides, I live in a retirement community that I love. While they would allow Lucy to live with me, she wouldn't enjoy it. There are no other children, except the occasional visiting grandchild, and she would be quite lonely."
Aunt Louise seems nice, but that retirement community is no place for Lucy!

The judge nodded and then looked at Clark. "Mr. Kent, you are willing to take in your sister-in-law as a foster child?"

He stood and took Lois' hand. "Yes, your Honor. I know it would mean a lot to Lois and it would to me as well."
Of course he is willing. This Clark is every bit as nice as we have ever seen him.

She cleared her throat. "Mr. Kent, why did you marry Lois?"

He looked taken aback. "I love her, your Honor."

"I have looked into it a bit, Mr. Kent. You met several years ago and have not seen each other since then."

"We've written regularly, your Honor. I knew the first time I saw her that I'd marry her someday."

"Still, I am more than a bit suspicious of the timing."

Clark took a deep breath. "Your Honor, I love Lois, truly I do. The timing... well, you're right. It's highly unlikely that we would have gotten married if Lois' parents hadn't died – at least not until Lois was 18 or maybe after we graduated college, but as I said, I've known for years that she was the woman I would marry. I know what I'm getting myself into. I love Lois and she loves Lucy and doesn't want her to go anywhere else. I'm an orphan myself. I know what it's like to bounce from family to family, never staying in one place too long. I don't want that for Lucy."

"I can appreciate that." She sighed. "I mean it, Mr. Kent. I will be keeping a close eye on this situation and if I ever feel that Lucy would be better off elsewhere, I will move her."

"Understood."

"This is a huge responsibility for someone so young."

"I know it is, but I've essentially been on my own for a long time and I know I can do what I need to do to take care of Lois and Lucy."

"See that you do, young man." She watched as Clark left the room. Somehow she knew that Lois and Clark would make it.
Sorry about the long quote, but I love it. The judge questions Clark about his motives, and when she is finished with him, she believes in Lois and Clark. That's lovely.

"Aunt Louise, you don't need to do that," Lois protested.

"Nonsense. You may have been right that I don't particularly want to raise children, but I do love you and not just in that we are family so I have to way. And I want to do this."

"Ms. Lane, it is really not necessary," Clark told her.

"Clark, please call me Aunt Louise. You're family now. And I insist. It's your wedding day. Now, Lucy and I weren't there for the wedding and I may have a thing or two to say about that later, but I'm not going to ruin your wedding day with that kind of griping. What I am going to do is get you two a room for the week. You do not need to start your married life living with your crotchety old aunt and your little sister. Lucy will be moving in with you two soon enough. So, I'll get you a room at a nice hotel, which I'm sure the two of you can't afford right now anyway, and you can spend your time together and looking for a place to live rather than being with the two of us." Her face softened. "I remember what it is like to be young and in love." She held up a hand as Lois opened her mouth to question her. "No, I never married, but that's because the man I loved gave his life for his country on Iwo Jima. My heart never recovered. Consider it a birthday and wedding present."
That's lovely, too! Aunt Louise may not like children, but she is adorable anyway. She pays for Lois and Clark's wedding night, and she gives it to Lois as a birthday present, too. And she never got married herself, because her loved one died at Iwo Jima.

Iwo Jima. So moving.

[Linked Image]

I think there is supposed to be six American soldiers in this picture, although I only think I can see five. But I have read that three of these soldiers didn't make it home alive, because they were killed at Iwo Jima. One of those who were killed was the front man in this image.

"I am also going to put some money on the account – order room service, get a massage, do something nice for yourselves. I'm going to tell them that I get whatever is left back so don't think you can just not do anything and keep the cash. It's for you two to spoil yourselves for the next few days. Now, Clark, get the keys to Ellen's car and load your bag into it. I will help Lois pack up a few things."
Aaawww! sloppy

Louise sat down on Lois' bed. "This is something I reluctantly gave your mother because I wanted someone to have it. I knew she wouldn't appreciate it, but I couldn't die without passing it on to someone. She later told me that she had never even taken it out of the box. I found it in their closet the other night."

She opened the box reverently. "I bought this when I wasn't much older than you. Joe had gone off to fight in World War II and we were going to be married as soon as he came home. It never occurred to us that he would never be back." She pulled the nightgown out, holding it by the spaghetti straps. "This was for our wedding night. I could never bring myself to actually get rid of it until I found out your father was going to marry Ellen. Even then, it didn't feel right, but, as I said, I didn't want it to completely go to waste."

Lois fingered the white satin. "It's beautiful, Aunt Louise." She didn't have the heart to tell her that it wouldn't get used on this night either.
Louise gives Lois a wonderful nightie, which she was going to wear herself for the wedding night that never came to pass. She gave it to Ellen, who never wore it with Sam. How sad that Lois doesn't want to wear it either, although I most certainly don't blame seventeen-year-old Lois for that!!!

"It feels right this time. I can't explain it but it does." Her eyes glinted with unshed tears as she looked at Lois. "Don't think you're fooling me for a minute, young lady. I know you don't love Clark like a woman getting married should, but I see the way he looks at you and I know that, deep down, someday, you will know that you love him too." She smiled at the younger woman. "I know you won't use this tonight, but I am right that you two need some time just the two of you to figure this whole thing out. When you're ready, you'll have it."

Lois' eyes filled up with tears. "Thank you, Aunt Louise."
That's lovely! Lovely! And I'm glad that Lois understands it, too. I'm sure she can see that her Aunt Louise does love her.

Clark opened the car door so Lois could get in. He shut it behind her and turned to Aunt Louise.

"Thank you, Aunt Louise."

She held out her arms. "Come give your new aunt a hug."

Clark willingly obliged, wondering how Lois' impressions of her aunt could have been so wrong.

Louise pulled back and looked up at her handsome new nephew. "I know you love her, Clark. And I know that right now, she thinks she doesn't love you. It's going to take some time – probably a long time – but someday she will come around." She smiled slyly. "Tonight, I gave her something I bought for my wedding night that never happened. Someday, she'll wear it and then you'll know."

Clark pulled her in to him again and squeezed her quickly. "Thank you." He released her and headed to the driver's side of the car. He turned to thank her again, but all he saw was the front door closing.
Aaaawww! Adorable!

I love this, Carol!

Ann

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by TOC:
She had his mother's wedding band tucked safely away and she'd raided her secret stash to buy Clark a ring the day before. Who knew you could get a wedding ring for under forty bucks? She hadn't told him that though – she hadn't even told him she'd bought it. It wasn't a very nice one, but someday – if this all worked out – she'd get him a better ring. And have it engraved. Engraving for this one was too expensive. Hers was engraved. His parents had had them engraved when they got married. Hers said 'I've loved you since the beginning...' His dad's had said, '...I'll love you till the end', but his dad's had been lost over the years.
So moving. Lois bought Clark a ring. Her parents' rings had been engraved. Her mother's ring had said 'I've loved you since the beginning...' and her father's had said 'I'll love you till the end', but his ring had been lost. How typical, and how appropriate. Because I don't believe he loved her till the end, even though he did come back to her.

Ann - I read through this two or three times because I wasn't understanding... Lois has Martha's ring, but Jonathan's was lost - they were the ones that were engraved - not Sam and Ellen's. I totally agree with you there - even if they had been - I think you're right about Sam and about Ellen too. The phrases don't describe either one of them.

I had a hard time figuring out why you would think Jonathan wouldn't have loved Martha till the end wink .

Carol

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ah! I see. Well, I thought you talked about Sam and Ellen's rings.

Another thing - just the other day I read about poor Marilyn Monroe. Her mother was sent to a mental hospital when Marilyn was quite young, and after that the girl had to go to one foster home after another. She got married at sixteen to get away from the foster homes - poor girl, her husbands weren't very good for her, either. Well, she certainly never married Clark Kent.

Ann

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Sorry, Carol. I thought you were referring to Sam and Ellen, as well. Now that I reread I realized you said, "His parents had..." but in the context of the rest of the paragraph it was easy to misunderstand "his" and "hers." You might want to change it to "Mrs. Kent's" and "Mr. Kent's."

On to bigger and better feedback...
Lois' and Clark's wedding was so bittersweet. On the one hand, it was a means to an end. They chose a difficult road because they thought it was the better of three evils.

Aunt Loise is an interesting character. On the one hand, she's very blunt with the judge that she has never liked children. On the other hand, she's an old softie who thought that love couldn't come to her twice. She pays for a honeymoon and gives Lois a negligee that she knows won't be used for the purposes intended for a long time. Very interesting.

Elisabeth

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Okay - that part had bugged me too but it was added at the last minute and unbeta'd so it's not Alisha's fault wink . I've changed it to the following:

She nodded and patted her purse. "Yep." She had Martha Kent's wedding band tucked safely away and she'd raided her secret stash to buy Clark a ring the day before. Who knew you could get a wedding ring for under forty bucks? She hadn't told him that though – she hadn't even told him she'd bought it. It wasn't a very nice one, but someday – if this all worked out – she'd get him a better ring. And have it engraved. Engraving for this one was too expensive. Martha's was engraved. Clark's parents had had them engraved when they got married. Hers said 'I've loved you since the beginning...' and his dad's had said, '...I'll love you till the end', but Jonathan's had been lost over the years.
She grabbed his hand and held on tightly. "Let's go."

Is that better?
Carol

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Carol. Wow.

"Just no funny stuff, mister."
Some time later.
Clark: I thought you said no funny stuff.
Lois: Clark, this is deadly serious.

Engraving for this one was too expensive.
Don't worry, Lois. Clark will take care of if wink

And Aunt Louise was just great. And quite quick witted. Might explain certain talents in our intrepid reporter.

And the best part:
I'm going to a 2x a week posting schedule - Mondays and Thursdays.
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Yes, Carol, that's better for those of us who read at ninety miles per hour, glossing over pesky details like who the heck we're actually talking about. As I had said earlier, there was nothing wrong with the way it was written, but this reads better nonetheless.

Elisabeth

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, too, think your new version is better, Carol. I didn't miss the fact that Clark was giving Lois his mom's wedding band, of course, but I thought that Lois was just contemplating her own parents' rings when she started wondering how she'd get a ring for Clark. Of course, I can't see her wanting to give Clark her father's ring and so "invite him" to follow in Sam's footsteps!

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
So they'll be sharing a room, eh? Clark doesn't seem too worried about accidentally floating in his sleep....

This is a lot of fun to read. It may be a little odd that Lois agreed to marry Clark, but it's plausible, and it's going to make for an excellent plot. I'm looking forward to it!

Columnist
Columnist
Amy made a good point. When is Clark going to tell Lois about his abilities? Soon, I hope.

So half of me is a little scared of the teen marriage thing, but the other half is thinking it might work out. I think Lois and Clark have a lot to work through, and hopefully we'll see more of that in the next chapters.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I forgot to mention this earlier. Somehow I didn't mind as much this time that Clark didn't tell Lois EVERYTHING before he proposed this time. This were complicated enough without that.

Elisabeth

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
hail Wow, wonderful.

Originally posted by gr8shadesofElvis:
Teenage marriage. Like that's not gonna go south fast.'
Depends on a lot of factors. I got married at 18 and have been married over thirty years now.
Clark placed on hand on the side of her face and leaned in until his lips gently touched hers. A shock ran through him, leaving him tingling from the roots of his invulnerable hair to the tips of his invulnerable toes.
I wonder what Lois was feeling during this kiss?

Framework4
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I agree that Clark certainly needs to tell Lois about his powers. But I, too, didn't mind so much that he didn't tell her before the wedding this time. Considering that that she is marrying him to stay out of foster care (and out of Aunt Louise's retirement community) and considering that she is not forseeing having intercourse with him any time soon (right now it may seem to her that she never will), it is not so overwhelmingly important that she knows about his powers right away. But of course, she does need to know before long.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow!!! Can't wait for some of the difficulties the newly married couple might encounter smile1 thumbsup

(sorry for not commenting on earlier part.. but definitely reading and am enjoying this story)

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Lovely story! WOW, marriage! I didn't see it coming. But I'm loving this turn of events. smile1 It's going to be hard for Clark to keep his secret 'secret' living together and sharing a bed with Lois. wink How is she going to take it? I'm anxious to find it out. hyper

More, please!

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Can't wait to see where this goes, Carol! Finally caught up on the last couple of parts!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Not to hijack the thread, but I just saw Ann's comment that in Second Choice it portrayed Clark as Saint Clark vs Slutty Lois. I think that entire interpretation is off. Second Choice followed the canon in the show itself where Lois was experienced and Clark wasn't. And I don't see how carrying it a little farther changed things. In the show Clark didn't regard Lois as slutty, and no one else did either. And I'm quite sure that if Lois had had a child in the show, Clark would have loved that child as his own. So just how did what I wrote differ except in degree? Neither Lois nor Clark were saints as teens in Second Choice, as Clark admitted to himself -- he deliberately made spectacular touchdowns a couple of times to impress Lana. That isn't perfect behavior, either.

My apologies, Carol, for going off topic, but I felt thoroughly mischaracterized by Ann's post -- especially since she didn't apparently feel it necessary to read enough of the rest of the story to judge it fairly.

Anyway, I'm sorry I haven't been posting feedback, but life has been incredibly hectic recently. I'll continue to read. You have an interesting story here.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Okay - I really should be going to bed now but I need to unwind for a few minutes smile .

Gr8 - that actually is where the whole premise for the fic came from. What if Lois and Clark got married young? What could cause that? SQD's wonderful Coming of Age showed what could happen with a teenage romance, but I wanted to see what would happen if they felt the need to get married while in/just out of high school. I emailed Nan at one point during Second Choice and told her that I was going to have to bow out because it was hitting too close. This was in October before Nano started. More on SC in a bit.

Ann - Aunt Louise totally shocked me. I honestly had her pictured as the horrid old, shriveled up nasty woman and then she goes and throws Joe at me. Literally. As I was typing, I didn't know what she was going to say until I saw it on the screen. The whole sleeping together [as well as *not* sleeping together] thing was something else I wanted to explore.

Ann and Elisabeth - thanks for helping me see what I could rework in that paragraph about the wedding rings smile .

Michael - you keep calling things I didn't see myself - like Lois wanting the top bunk and being the top banana. I didn't even see Lois in Aunt Louise, but you're right - there's definitely a similarity there! I'm glad you like the new posting schedule - I have another surprise to go along with that later this week wink .

Elisabeth - I read at 90mph too. I'm constantly having to go back and reread some things more carefully to make them make sense. Maybe I should just read more slowly in the first place?

Amy - I'm glad you brought up the powers! I'm not sure Clark's thought that part all the way through.

I'm glad to see that many of you agree that him tossing all of that into the mix at this point would have been too much. He does start obsessing about it soon - I promise wink .

Beth - /me takes a quick glance to see if there's any more Fidelity - they do have a lot to work through. Though they've written letters for four years, and each knows the other better than just about anyone else, but in other ways they hardly know each other at all.

Framework - wow! Congratulations!!! We were 20 and 21 though looking back I'm not sure why we didn't get married sooner. We've been together since 17. Our 11 year is coming up. What does Lois feel when kissing Clark... hmmm... Inquiring minds want to know! /me whistles innocently

AnKS - I'm glad you're enjoying it. I had the feeling the teen marriage was going to throw a lot of people for a loop. There seemed to be that 'oh I hope they don't lose touch for ten years' vibe. Of course, I knew that wasn't going to happen!

Andreia - you do get the gold star for the Norcross and Judd question!

JD - Glad you're reading!

Nan - no problem. I was planning on addressing that here anyway. I hope you know how much I enjoy just about any Nan-fic but in particular Second Choice in this case. I was so worried that we were going in the same direction when I read the proposal, but we weren't - not at all. I'm glad to hear you're reading even if you haven't been commenting smile .

Forgetting about Clark for the moment, I didn't think SC's Lois was Slutty Lois at all. If she'd slept with half the football team... well, I'd reevaluate. 'Our' Lois dated Joe - the football guy in high school. Though the only person they ever actually say she slept with was Claude, it wouldn't surprise me to find out she'd slept with Joe. She labels all of her relationships as 'federal disasters' and I know VD aired a couple months before Small World so Dean may not have known about her relationship with Joe when he wrote it, but for it to have been a disaster [though not on the scale of Lex of course]... I could see it, is all. Sleeping with one guy, one time and finding herself pregnant does not make her slutty, imo anyway.

SC's Clark asks her to marry him, I thought, for a lot of the same reasons LtL's Clark does. He loves her. She needs his help and he wants to do what he can. He'd want to marry her at 18 or 28, but in both stories, for different reasons, it's 18. She needs help and in both cases, marriage - something at least he wants anyway - is an answer and it makes sense. Clark's not a saint in either fic - as you pointed out with the touchdowns etc. For now at least, he's still Saint Clark here, but in the future he does make mistakes, as we all tend to do.

I've got the next few parts about ready to go but once I finish tweaking the one I'm on... well, the next part is still a list of half scenes. And Clark surprised me after Kerths on Saturday with something he said while I was tweaking part 4 so now I have to deal with that - and I couldn't make him take it back [and honestly, I didn't want to wink ]. Pesky characters!

Thanks guys!! Watch a message board near you on Thursday!
Carol

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I feel like I ought to apologise for not spotting the ring confusion when I went through this part - Carol, I did warn you that I may not make a very good beta!

And also I apologise for not leaving feedback for the last part.

- Alisha (who'll try a bit harder next time!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard