Next Thread
Print Thread
#50839 03/31/08 04:36 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

In answer to a previous question, yes, Cyrus is the analogue of the hobo we saw in the pilot, who though Clark was an angel.

Trust me, L&C will be back together soon enough.

#50840 03/31/08 04:40 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Well, Cyrus has his angel [who may or may not fly him to NO]. I enjoyed his take on this 'darker' America - that the government is paranoid so the rest of us don't have to be. That's not to say there aren't problems but... it was a good way to put it.

Lois needs an 'angel' or rather a "Superman" to help her most likely. She probably wouldn't say so but a little super-help will probably come in handy.

More soon smile .
Carol

#50841 03/31/08 05:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
wildguy

I loved the parts with Cyrus, btw, but Clark needs to go back to Lois now. Right now. Like, seconds ago. grovel

~•~
#50842 03/31/08 05:49 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! A new part, and only three days wait. Hooray!! hyper

I loved the scenes with Cyrus; it was a good way of airing the issues, and he's an interesting character. One question, though: when Clark rescued Cyrus, how did he know his name? I could understand if he knew it after talking to him in the diner, but Cyrus doesn't mention his name when Clark meets him the first time. Does Cyrus have an ID Clark x-rayed? Maybe Cyrus was talking to himself earlier?

And if we had any doubts that the person named "Lois Lane" was actually Lois Lane, they've been dispelled. wink Maybe she'll be in luck and Clark will already have memorized her heartbeat. Or perhaps she'll be desperate enough to try yelling "Clark, help!"

#50843 03/31/08 06:28 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
As much as I enjoy Clark's perspective on the "new" world, I have to say that Cyrus's view gave a needed balance. Here's someone who has obviously lived through some rough times, and yet he still can find something positive from the situation.

And now Lois - Lois, Lois, Lois... there's safety in numbers and she left her cameraman behind. *sigh* I'm wondering if this will be the event that brings Clark back around. I'm glad there was some mention of Lucy. I'm on pins to see just how the doppelganger issue is going to be resolved in this story.

All in all, great part. Intrigued to see where all the pieces start to fit together.

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
#50844 04/01/08 04:25 AM
Kerth
Kerth
This ought to be interesting.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#50845 04/01/08 05:08 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Another great part, Shayne.

“What's wrong?” Cyrus asked after a long sip of coffee. He held the cup tightly in his hands, enjoying the unaccustomed warmth.

“I don't recognize this place,” the angel admitted. “It's nothing like the America I knew.”

“It's not so bad,” Cyrus said.

“They're putting people in jail without trials,” he said. “Everybody is suspicious and angry and…”
Things are bad... but....

“Everybody isn't suspicious or angry,” Cyrus said, shaking his head. “Except maybe the cops of the government. Most people are the same as they always were. They get up, go to work, come home…live their lives.”

“I guess it's mostly the government I'm mostly talking about,” the angel admitted. “I don't remember them being so paranoid.”

“Next time you come back to earth, try coming as a black man,” Cyrus said. “Then you'll get to see what paranoid is.”
Yes! There may still be racism in America, but compared with what things used to be like, they have improved enormously.

“Thing is…the government gets paid to be paranoid so the rest of us don't have to.
What a great observation! (Not always true, but still great.)

“I guess it's just seeing it all at once,” the angel admitted. “Guards and guns and people locked up without trials. I never expected to see it here.”

“You weren't around in the forties, I guess.” Cyrus said.

The angel shook his head.
No, Clark, you weren't around in the forties.

“My father worked as a guard in one of the internment camps there. They locked up more than a hundred thousand people who hadn't committed a crime other than being born Japanese.”
Yes.

(And in Sweden, "undesirable" people like gypsies were being sterilized.)

“Sometimes you just have to have a little faith. As a colored man, my uncle couldn't join the navy as anything more than a cook.” Cyrus chuckled. “Of course, with the seasickness he had he wasn't even much good for that.”

The angel didn't say anything, just sat and listened.

“The year I fought in Vietnam, it was still illegal in sixteen states for me to marry a white woman. It was legal for banks to refuse me a loan for a house in a white neighborhood. I had relatives who had to deal with the Klan.”
Yes.

And the lynchings, can you believe them? I think there were still lynchings in the 1940s.

[Linked Image]

Just look at this picture. It's from 1930, I think. Note, however, how all those white people keep milling around the hanged bodies of the black men, as if they are not at all afraid of any sort of punishment. They are so confident that nobody will question them, and they are so pleased with themselves after having committed murder together.

Billie Holliday: Strange Fruit

When you look at images like these, and listen to Billie Holliday's song, then you realize how much America really has changed for the better.

And Lois got herself in trouble... please help her, Clark!

Ann

#50846 04/01/08 07:45 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Loved this post.

One thing confused me. After Cyrus ordered, Clark/angel shook his head. I always thought that was universal for 'NO'.

It would make more sense to me if Clark nodded, which, to my understanding, means 'YES'.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#50847 04/01/08 07:47 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by ShayneT:
As she began to turn the key in the lock, she felt something jab into her back.

There was someone in the Monte Carlo. In the side mirror of her rental car she could see a shadowy figure sliding out of the window behind her.

“Don’t move,” the voice was deep and raspy. When Lois made as though to turn around, she winced as whatever it was jabbed deeper into her kidney.
*LOIS!!!!*
shock

Normally I wouldn't worry, okay I still would, but this is the real world. Anything could happen.

Great to see Clark lectured by a homeless guy.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#50848 04/01/08 09:50 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Again an early update! You are pampering me/us! clap

Lois smiled politely until he cut the light off, and then let the smile drop from her face. It wasn’t the sort of job she could be doing. She had the story; on two separate occasions in three days fighter jets had scrambled in the air over Washington. Men had been found carting something away from a farm in rural Virginia, and rumors had it that a missile had been launched.
What´s that about a farm in rural Virginia? Did I miss anything in the chapters before or is this something we will get to know later?

“Don’t move,” the voice was deep and raspy. When Lois made as though to turn around, she winced as whatever it was jabbed deeper into her kidney.
With her satellite phone unplugged, even the government people watching her had no idea where she was. She was all alone, and there wasn’t anyone to save her.
Lois gets kidnapped. Hmmm, did I read something like this anywhere in another story? laugh Of course it happens to her all the time, and usually Superman is there to save her... is he? Perhaps she just tries her pepper spray on that thug?
I hope Clark gets to save her - and show his abilities in the process!

By the way, I have to complain! Your chapters are much too short! wink So you simply have to post the next chapter earlier. What do you think of that solution? peep

#50849 04/01/08 10:45 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I liked Cyrus' chat with Clark... the angel analogy was too cool thumbsup

Although at first I felt like both Cyrus and Clark were talking about different things (prejudice vs. government responsibility), I soon realized the similarity... it was subtle but in the end both were talking about individual rights. And Cyrus' positive outlook about things continually changing... that's so awesome. dance Definitely puts perspective on stuff.

Hmm, I get the feeling that Lois could face such barriers that eventually it'd be impossible for her to work as a successful TV reporter.. so her only option would be to move to a land far far away, perhaps to another world / universe wink

Anyways, looking forward to Lois' attack, er rescue. Maybe she'll get to use that pepper spray on the shadowy figure and then Clark could surprise her by coming to her rescue, get hit with the same perpper spray which rendered her attacker useless and not be affected. Revelation? :p

By the way who is the thug? Government wanting to unite her with Lucy? A nasty source? Just some drunk?

Looking forward to next part dance notworthy

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#50850 04/01/08 07:53 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I can't resist posting this, apropos the conflicting images of America that you showed us in this part, Shayne.

[Linked Image]

This is Sven Hedin, a Swedish explorer. Around the turn of the previous century he travelled extensively in Asia and made a small fortune by writing books of his wild and wondrous exploits. So, for example, did he claim to have walked on foot for seven days through a desert without a drop of water, while his camel and his native carrier-boy (or whatever designation he would have used for him) lay unconscious on the ground, victims of their thirst. Hedin says that he found a wellspring, drank from it himself, filled one of his boots with water, and trekked all the way back to his camel and his carrier-boy, saving them both with his boot-encased water.

I think that when you look at the picture, you get an idea of what a self-satisfied person Sven Hedin was. He certainly believed in the complete superiority of white European people over all other peoples and races of the earth. It is no surprise that he eventually became a fervent supporter of Nazism:

[Linked Image]

Sven Hedin shaking hands with Adolf Hitler.

But there was a country that Sven Hedin hated. Can you guess what country that was? Yes, that's right. America. Hedin thought that America was vulgar, loud and devoid of any glorious history. Worse, according to Hedin, America didn't understand that black people were not equal to whites. There was nothing that Hedin hated so much as black jazz music:

[Linked Image]

So I just wanted to say, that even though there were horrible things going on in America in the 1920s and 30s, the United States was still so hated by Nazis in Europe because it was precisely not Nazi. And it was such an inspiration to those who wanted to fight oppression.

Ann

#50851 04/02/08 03:17 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Nice chapter, Shayne. I'm wondering if Lois will get herself out of this mess (that's my vote) or if Clark will show up. Interesting thoughts from Cyrus.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#50852 04/02/08 06:45 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Can anyone say cliffhanger? Again?

The dark shadows from under the dock resolved themselves into five younger men, most in their mid-teens.
Nice poetry.

I like Cyrus a lot. I was just thinking to myself that he seems awfully stable for a person who has already said that he is mentally unstable when Clark said this.
“You seem pretty well educated for someone who lives on the streets.”

Cyrus shrugged. “I did some reading back when I was stable.”
I laughed at this. Apparently Cyrus prepared himself for either outcome.

Elisabeth

#50853 04/02/08 11:06 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
On the one hand, I'm disappointed that Cyrus needed to be rescued again... that one helping hand from Clark wasn't magically enough to save him. On the other hand, after thinking about it for a while, this story is all about the real world, and homelessness is a very complex issue. So now I think it might have been cheating to not visit him again in the story.

And what a conversation it resulted in!

As for Lois, well, a closing line like that is begging for Clark to swoop in and save the day. But I wouldn't be shocked if the story turns otherwise. Maybe it's Agent White in the car; the car's occupant is "shadowy" with a "deep and raspy" (disguised?) voice. :-)

#50854 04/03/08 02:07 PM
Blogger
Blogger
I just read part 1 until part 17. It's a really gripping story, so inventive to set it in our time. More, please! smile

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard