Print Thread
#50795 03/28/08 06:24 PM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Wow. Is that Jon and Kaylie's first *real* fight? I know they had one when he first found out about the NIA and all but...

I had visions of early S3 *shudder*.

I'd write more but baby calls...
Carol

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This is very good. We get to see Kaylie in action again, and we get to see how her world and Jon's world don't quite mesh. Her investigation has to take priority in her mind, and Jon's insistence on calling in the police to take care of the bomber is the valid priority to him. They're not working against each other, not really, but Kaylie's right when she tells him that he can't order her around. She can't do her job if she's concerned about Jon's reaction to everything she does. Her world simply isn't as nice as his is.

That flashback was heart-rending. I wonder if Jon has fully dealt with those emotions or just learned to cover them up. This might explain part of why it didn't work out with Amanda. That hole in his heart may not be healed, and if he expected Amanda to fill it, he was asking something of her that she could never do. No woman could do that for him.

And now, in turn, if he expects Kaylie to fill it, this relationship is in deep trouble. There's no way for any woman to "fix" him without him becoming completely dependent on her emotionally, and Firestorm can't let that happen (because he has to be so strong for the people he protects), so Jon's between a rock and a hard place here.

That also brings up the question of his relationship with his father. Is that really as strong as we've been led to believe? If Jon's still in mourning for Jonathan, where does Clark fit into his life? Does still resent his dad for being a dad when Jon really needed one but didn't want one?

And even though I think Kaylie's anger was justified, I also think she might have gone overboard a little. Jon isn't used to working with her, isn't used to dealing with people as a spook, so he's not going to understand her until she explains it. Late at night on the street next to a bombed-out burning house probably isn't the best place or time to do that, but she still needs to trust him to listen to her. Besides, Jon probably didn't have to call the police or fire department. They're swamped with calls from neighbors.

Boy, I ask weird questions, don't I? I'm sure all will be revealed in due time, and that evrything will work out for the good. In fact, I expect Kaylie to come back to her apartment and find Jon sitting there with the Blonde Bomber all tied and gagged and waiting to be questioned. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks for the comments.

Carol:

Is that Jon and Kaylie's first *real* fight? I know they had one when he first found out about the NIA and all but...
Yeah, I suppose this is the first instance where they've seriously clashed over a difference of opinion. It was bound to happen some time, but I have to say I was a little surprised to see it spill onto the page when I wrote it.

Terry:

Kaylie was all but begging me to give her a kick-a$$ moment in this story after I was so mean to her near the end of Honesty. I did want to remind people that she is actually pretty good at what she does.

That also brings up the question of his relationship with his father. Is that really as strong as we've been led to believe?
I wouldn't say the relationship is weakened, but rather that it is scarred. Jon lost faith in his father at a critical time in his life, and used Jonathan Sr as a surrogate. Although there's been a lot of healing over the years, those marks are still visible under some lights.

I love your wierd questions, Terry. It's great to know what you're thinking about things.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Go Kaylie! She's got to be annoyed about not being fast enough, though.

I wonder what the actual laws are (either here or in the L&C universe). The L&C NIA seems to have rather... "independent" agents. Do they have jurisdiction to release someone who would obviously be wanted by the police? Do they need preapproval to do so? Kaylie and Jon should be able to reach a consensus (once they work on their communication skills) by agreeing to stick to what's actually legal.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Jon and Kaylie are growing up. and Lois and Kaylie becoming personae non gratae with their interview subject. Someone has a trai-ail smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Okay, not that I have anything to say on this that I haven't said before, but I have to mention once again how much I liked the flashback. It has so many emotions involved. I both love (in a very sad way) how Jon is dealing with his grandfather's death and how Clark is still Clark as a father - putting aside his own grief to be a dad.

And Jon's lying to Clark is heartwrenching.

Columnist
Columnist
I wonder what the actual laws are (either here or in the L&C universe).
The way I see it is that Kaylie could flex some NIA muscles and spring the Blonde Bomber (I like the name, Terry) out if she wanted to. But there are several reasons why she won't.

One is that she doesn't want to involve the police yet, even on a very limited level. She's got a negative prejudice towards them that she inherited from the NIA.

Also, Kaylie doesn't entirely trust the NIA as an organization. That comes from her investigation into NIA corruption. There's only so many times you can uncover dirty agents before you start to loose faith in the system. So I don't think Kaylie will be anxious to use NIA clout in her investigation.

And lastly, if Kaylie flashed an NIA badge to get past police, there's a risk that the bomber's boss will find out. So even if Kaylie convinced our bomber to help out, there's a chance that it will backfire on them, leading them into a worse situation.

I agree with you Amy when you said that Jon and Kaylie should've communicated better. They were only thinking of their own individual needs/responsibilities as opposed to their responsibilities to each other.

Lois and Kaylie becoming personae non gratae with their interview subject
Gee, Michael, that's never happened on LnC has it? wink

I agree with you. Jon and Kaylie relationship is maturing here. They've gotten into some real issues that need to be worked out between them before they get married.

Okay, not that I have anything to say on this that I haven't said before, but I have to mention once again how much I liked the flashback.
Thanks, Nancy. blush You'll notice that I decided to bump it up to this chapter. It just seemed to fit better here.

Thanks everyone once again for all the great comments!

Top Banana
Top Banana
I haven't deserted you, Beth. wink

I'm still reading - I was just offline for a week.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Wow, big fight is about all I can think of to say. Great part, Beth.

Columnist
Columnist
Thanks gr8shades and Alisha!

Glad to know that you haven't left me, gr8shades. I was a little nervous when I brought back to dreaded Thea in part 5, but apparently you're going to let me off the hook. Whew!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wish I had time for more comments, but I'm still reading! Loved this part and seeing their first real clash (which sound suspiciously similar to the fights L&C used to have...maybe Clark can give a seminar on SuperHeros Who Date Women With Dangerous Jobs.)

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard