I cannot believe I'm posting this. It's not done. There are lists of scenes not written. It's probably in the 20-25 part range. I have the first 3 segments of the SEQUEL written [don't ask. the muse was in a mood]. The first 6-8 parts are basically done and then there's 2 parts that need work, then 3 more done etc...

BUT...

I've been wanting to post this and I'm hoping that by doing so it'll make me finish it. I think I'm going to go with a once a week schedule until it's closer to done. If I can get parts 9-11 done, I'll go to twice weekly most likely.

I think I also want to post because I'm still in that depressive funk that makes it impossible to finish "It's a Big Bed..." and hopefully FDK on anything will get the juices flowing on anything.

So this is it. The NANO fic that I've been working on since Nov. It's up to nearly 70,000 words now. I can't even begin to thank everyone who's helped make this possible. There's a two page Author's Note in the file [mostly because I was padding my word count], but some of the names mentioned are: Missy G., Anna B., Bethy, LaraMoon, Elisabeth[Queen of D8a Land], James [D8a], Aromassa, Sheilah, JoJo da Crow, woody, lexy, Kaylle, LabRat, and all the others from the NANO threads.

Extra special thanks go to Alisha Knight who has been beta'ing this monster for me. Kaylle helped me figure out who lived or died at the end. MissyG had invaluable input on the outline. Nan graciously encouraged me when I almost stopped reading "Second Choice" because I felt it was getting a bit too close and also said I could use her "New Troy State University Clarion" but I ended up going with something else. Sheila answered questions about dangerous roads for me, as did others, but she went above and beyond.

I've got half an FFT done for it, but that's it and I don't know that it'll ever get done.

This first part includes a tween/teen Lois and Clark. I haven't been a teen in years and don't really know any so pretend it's pretty close to something resembling reality [and if it's not - would you mind sending me a private email with thoughts?].

So without further ado... /me takes deep breath and hits 'add new topic'

Learning to Love

Chapter 1
December 1976

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

The young boy ran down the road, yelling at the top of his lungs. He moved faster than humanly possible, running towards the two people he loved more than anyone else in the world.

The car careened towards the cliff and plunged over the edge into the river below.

Ten year old Clark Kent stopped as close as he could to the edge of the road – it was too narrow here for even a guard rail. The car was too far below him and the cliff face too vertical for him to get to it. If he could reach it, he could pull it out and they would be okay.

But he couldn't get to it and so they wouldn't be.

The hot tears streaked down his face, but he didn't notice them. All he knew was that his special vision couldn't always be controlled and he had to look away as it suddenly peered through the top of his parent's car.

It was bad enough that he'd heard the car squealing down the side of the mountain.

It was bad enough that he'd heard his mother's screams as it continued out of control.

It was bad enough that he'd been able to see his dad desperately trying to control the car.

It was bad enough that he'd seen his mom clinging to the dashboard, frantically checking to see if her seatbelt was securely fastened.

It was bad enough that he'd been no more than two seconds too late to grab a hold of the car before it disappeared.

He couldn't watch them die too.

He turned away, sobbing. Oblivious to the cold, to the snow drifting down around him, he sat, waiting for help that was sure to come.

After several hours, he realized no one was coming. He also realized that there was no way he could explain his presence in the middle of the wilderness, miles from the ski lodge where they had been staying, with no sign of frost bite.

Dissect him like a frog.

That was what his dad had always warned him about. He had to get back. And then he'd had to report them missing. And then he had to wait for them to be found. And then he had to wait for the police to tell him what he already knew. What he had heard as he sat on the side of the lonely stretch of Colorado highway.

Tell him that, for the second time in his young life, he was an orphan.

Spring 1978

Lois Lane sat in the rain. At least the walkway was covered and she was only getting the mist from the wind. The fourth grade was hard enough without having to wait for a ride. It just didn't seem fair that she lived 3 houses too close to ride the bus. She would have gladly walked those three houses, but that wasn't the way the Metropolis school system worked. She often walked to and from school, but it was almost a mile – a long distance for any ten year old, but it wasn't across any major roads which was how the school district got away with not providing service. But on days like today when it was raining, she had to wait for a ride. Most of the kids on her block were either too young for school or older than her and didn't go to the same school she did, so it was rare that she could get a ride from a neighbor.

Lucy, of course, went to a private school. Lois wasn't sure why public school wasn't good enough for her little sister. Maybe that she hadn't actually spoken in full sentence until she was 5 and her parents thought she needed a more intensive setting. Surely, her mom would pick her up after she picked up Lucy.

And so she sat, waiting in the chilly rain, for her mom to come to get her. But her mom didn't get off work until 4, so by the time she picked up Lucy and got here... Well, Lois would be here for another hour unless the rain let up.

As though on cue, a bolt of lightning split the sky, followed quickly by a long, loud clap of thunder.

She sighed. It was going to be a long hour.

It was many hours later before Lois flopped down on her bed. Her mom had been even later than usual. Turns out she hadn't wanted to take Lois *and* Lucy grocery shopping with her. The rain had let up about 4:45 and she had started walking only to have another storm come upon her, leaving her drenched. Her mom had only just arrived home when Lois did, seemingly shocked that Lois was soaking. Sure. It had just slipped her mind that her oldest daughter would need picked up in the middle of a rainstorm.

Several teachers, including her own, and the principal had asked after her, to the point where the principal had said she would take her home when she left about 5. Lois hadn't wanted to suffer that humiliation and so she had walked.

Her mother had already been on her second or maybe even third glass of wine by then. Lois had made herself and Lucy peanut butter sandwiches then helped her sister wash her hair in the tub. She helped Lucy into her PJs and then bed. She took a shower and got herself ready for bed.

And so there she was, staring out the window at the stars that shone down now that the clouds had disappeared. Would she ever find somewhere that she truly belonged? Somewhere with people, or even just one person, who truly loved her?

Summer 1980

"Welcome to Future Journalists of America Summer Camp." Lindsey welcomed the one hundred campers to the next six weeks of their lives.

Lois sighed. At least she wasn't spending the summer at home. All she had ever wanted to do was be a journalist. Her dad had other ideas of course, but finally agreed to let her go if she would spend the second half of her summer at a science camp for kids who wanted to be doctors.

She stood and headed to the tables looking for the "L" line so she could pick up her schedule, name tag and cabin assignment.

"Excuse me."

She looked up and tried not to gasp. She was only 12, but she could have sworn that her heart skipped a beat. She had no intention of ever tying herself down to a man, but somehow, deep within her early adolescent self, she knew that she would. Someday.

"Miss?"

She told the counselor her name and collected the forms from her. She headed out to the front hall where all of the suitcases were stacked like cordwood. She finally spotted hers, right smack in the middle.

She sighed and started to move the suitcases on top of her own.

"Here, let me help."

She looked up to see the smiling face of the young man she had bumped into just moments before.

"I'm Clark. Clark Kent." He picked up a couple of suitcases and set them to the side. "Which one's yours?"

She pointed to a tattered brown one. "This one. Thanks." She grabbed another suitcase and set it next to the ones that he had removed. "I'm Lois." She suddenly felt shy, something Lois Lane rarely felt. "I'm starting Metropolis Middle School next year."

"I'm from Smallville, Kansas. I'll be a freshman this year. I've already got a spot on the school paper." He unearthed her suitcase and handed it to her. "So, Lois, what cabin are you in?"

She looked at her piece of paper and made a face. "I'm a wombat. What's a wombat?"

Clark laughed. "It's an Australian marsupial. They're about 3 feet long when they're full grown. They're the favorite food of Tasmanian devils." He grinned at her. "I'm in the Tasmanian devil cabin."

Lois was suitably impressed. "How do you know stuff like that?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I read a lot. Let me see your schedule."

She handed it over.

"Hey, we're in Investigative Journalism and Introduction to News Photography together." He picked up both suitcases. "Come on. I was here the last two years. I'll show you where the wombats live."

Lois fell into step next to him. "I'm not sure I want you knowing where we live, Mr. Tasmanian devil."

He laughed and set down one of the bags to hold up three fingers. "I promise. I won't come eat you in the middle of the night. Scout's honor."

Lois settled into the last free bed in her cabin. She hadn't planned on making any friends, but it certainly appeared that she had. It looked like she would be seeing this Clark kid at least twice day. He seemed nice enough and if she had to spend three hours a day with someone, she was glad it was him.

Ten weeks away from Metropolis loomed large in front of her. In some ways it was a welcome respite. Her parents had been fighting more than ever and as much as she hated to leave Lucy there by herself for part of the summer, she knew her little sister was heading to camp herself in a couple of weeks so she would not be stuck at home with a half drunk mom and an absentee father with no one to help look after her.

She sighed as the dinner bell rang. Time to go.

Clark took a deep breath and headed towards the brunette sitting by herself at one of the round tables. He set his tray down. "Mind if I join you?"

She looked up at him and motioned to the seat. "Go ahead."

He sat down and opened his carton of milk. "How's your cabin?"

She shrugged. "It's okay. I got a bottom bunk which I'm not crazy about, but..." She shrugged again. "I'll manage. You?"

"Top bunk." He took a big bite out of his hamburger.

She grinned at him. "I'm happy for you."

"Me too. So..." He brushed his hands on his pants. "...let me see that schedule again. I'll help you figure your way around."

She pulled the piece of paper out of her jeans. "I could probably do it myself."

"I know, but why reinvent the wheel?" He smoothed it on the table. "Well, I noticed earlier that we had two classes together, but it looks like our schedules are more alike than that. We have different first classes, but after that... our schedules are the same. Investigative Reporting, lunch, Intro to News Photography and then free time." He took another bite of his burger. "Which one is it?"

She glanced at him questioningly and hurriedly chewed the rest of the food in her mouth. "Which what?"

"What are you going to be when you grow up? Investigative reporter or photographer?"

"Reporter, of course."

Clark laughed. "Me too."

Lois pushed her mystery meat around on her plate. Clark was still halfway back in the dinner line, but she could tell he was eyeing her. He was more perceptive than she would have liked, that was for sure.

Though just about anyone could tell something was wrong, and that was probably a big part of the reason why there were empty seats all around her.

Ten minutes later, as the campers who had been the first to arrive were beginning to leave, Clark finally joined her. Lois had actually been fifth in line, but she hadn't eaten a bite yet.

"Wanna talk about it?"

Lois shook her head. "Not really."

Clark took a big bite of the mysterious substance that was supposed to be meatloaf. "I think someone needs to investigate what it is their feeding us."

A small smile managed to sneak onto her face. It had become a running joke between them. One of them had made the same statement at virtually every meal for the last month. "Maybe it'll be our first big investigation for the Daily Planet. 'Mystery Meat Finally Revealed'."

Clark laughed. "I'm sure that'll get us above the fold."

Lois sighed and finally took a few bites of her meal, knowing he wouldn't leave until she had.

They were among the last students to leave the cafeteria. As they had many nights, they wandered towards the lake and finally came to sit on a big rock.

"Daddy's leaving."

Clark's opened wide.

"I got a letter from Lucy today. I haven't heard from her in a couple weeks, but I thought that was because she was at her own camp. I guess she never went and she said that, three days ago now, she saw him put a bunch of boxes and suitcases in the car and when she looked all of his clothes were gone."

Clark put one arm around her. "I'm so sorry, Lois."

She shrugged. "I'm surprised it didn't happen a long time ago. They hate each other."

They sat there for a long time, his arm wrapped around her, until they heard the call to return to their cabins.

"I can't believe we have to go home tomorrow." Lois sighed. "I don't want to go home."

"Me either." Clark shrugged at her look. "It's just another foster family who doesn't really want me. I'd rather be at camp. Or eighteen. As soon as I turn eighteen, I'm going to move back to my parents' farm and fix it up and live there."

"Sounds nice."

"I'm sorry your Dad won't be there."

She shrugged. "He wasn't home very much anyway. And at least I don't have to go to Science Camp."

"See? Silver lining." They sat on the big rock for a few more minutes. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you, too."

Clark tentatively put one arm around her. It wasn't like the time he'd hugged her when she found out that her Dad was leaving. This was different. He liked her a lot. Even though he was only fourteen and she two years younger, he liked her. He sighed, wishing that he lived in Metropolis. She rested her head on his shoulder.

Before he knew what he was doing, he turned to her and brushed his lips across hers.

It was short, that first kiss, but with it came the promise of friendship. They would be miles apart, but deep down each knew that they would always have someone else they could count on.

After the briefest of seconds, Clark pulled back. One part of his mind said he should apologize, but he wasn't sorry he'd kissed her.

He cleared his throat. "So, um, I've got your address. I promise I'll write soon."

Lois smiled at him. "Me too. After you get me your address that is."

Clark blushed. "Sorry. I just moved to this new family right before I came here and I honestly don't remember the address."

Lois laughed. "No problem."

Lois sat on the bus that carried her away from Journalism Camp and from one Clark Kent. She sighed. She'd probably never hear from him again, but for six weeks, he'd been the best friend she'd ever had.