Next Thread
Print Thread
#50638 03/24/08 01:23 PM
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
This part may have been short, but you packed a lot into it.

Lois is turning down offers to date without mentioning that her heart may be just a little bit taken. For one thing, as her series with Clark is wrapping up she's going to great lengths to ensure that he sticks around.

Of course, the important part is that Clark feels threatened by Lois. Her amazing ability to make logical leaps and get them right is more than a little threat to him. Couple that with her curiosity and tenacity.

I was hoping she wouldn't open the manuscipt. If she had left the box unopened she could have used it as a tool to make peace with Clark. I'm not sure what she'll do now.

By the way, I liked that Lois wanted to ensure that Lucy wasn't packing any of Lois' things when she headed back to college. Hilarious!

Elisabeth

#50639 03/24/08 03:59 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I just discovered this story and I am impressed! I'm enjoying the ramifications of the small but significant changes you've made to our character's histories, and the tone of the whole story is very fresh. I'm looking forward to part eight!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#50640 03/24/08 04:03 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
You know, Clark really doesn't have any reason to be mad at Lois. As far as he knows, she just looked up his old stories. That's reasonable, IMO - for her to read her new partner's work. Now if he knew she had that manuscript... well, that would be a totally different issue.

Speaking of... why on earth would Herb leave a manuscript about Superman in his present day? Heavens!! Was he crazy? Oh, sorry, silly question wink .

More soon please!
Carol

#50641 03/24/08 04:39 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful.
she was now in possession of the fabled Anthony West manuscript
I love this! Herb shoots off his mouth in his old age secure in the knowledge that he'll never be believed!
As the rumors went, West had been determined to publish the book as non-fiction, but no one believed him. Eventually, instead of staking his literary reputation on a story the world would only accept as science fiction, West had locked the manuscript away, never to be seen or talked about again.
And Herb was right, almost no one did believe!

Now can we please have Herb talking about Lois BY NAME! No hints, no round abouts, I want to see Lois reading the book and find herself, described as fiery stubborn Metropolis Daily Planet reporter Lois Lane feared far and wide, often known as "Mad Dog Lane"!

It will give her the motivation to track down Clark. I'm assuming that since she knows about him he has fled and will switch to using an alias (perhaps Charles King?) and it will take her a long time, a year or two, to catch up with him.

Framework4
#50642 03/24/08 05:14 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks everyone!

I just wanted to comment on Lois's actions here. I chose the quote at the beginning of the chapter because I felt that it resonated with the situation. Lois, by profession and nature, is a seeker of truth. Her desire to get to the bottom of things has good and bad consequences. I think that where the manuscript is concerned, she knows she's teetering on the edge of something and ultimately chooses a direction. The fallout of which... well, we'll just have to experience along side her.

I enjoyed thinking of a way to bring Herb into the story as he always had a odd fairy god-motherlike quality in the series. We'll have to see what tall tales he might have told to his son about time travel and flying men wink

Thanks for reviewing! I really appreciate it.
~Sonia

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
#50643 03/24/08 08:04 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm a bit late to the party, but I really enjoyed this part(y)! laugh

Perry nodded. “There's already been Kerth talk in some circles,” he said.

Lois flushed with excitement – she hadn't known that. “See! Now, there's no question that I'm good by myself… but with these latest articles…” She looked at him pleadingly, begging him not to make her say it.

Perry clasped his hands together, unwilling to give her a break. If this was what she wanted, she was going to have to go the distance to get it.

Lois sighed, realizing what it was going to take. “With these last articles, I've been better than ever.”

“You want a partner?”

Lois paused a beat before replying. “Not for everything. I'm not dependant on him or anything… It's just, I think we could work well together.” When her boss didn't immediately respond, she tried again. “He's too good to be working freelance, Chief, and you know it. Everyone needs a home eventually.”
Wow! Oh wow! Lois wants Perry to hire Clark! Because she wants him as her partner! How totally different and delightful is that? notworthy

The pieces suddenly fell into place in Lois's mind. The prostitute had probably been attacked by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and Clark, being Clark, had jumped in to help. She really wasn't all that surprised to find him in situation like this one. In her mind, he was a naïve boy scout whose determination to help other people would inevitably get him in over his head. Luckily, she was there to save him.
I love it! Lois joins the fight to save Clark!

But then one of the thugs used his knife on Clark... and....

“I'm okay,” Clark offered, trying to block her searching hands with his own. “He missed.”

With wide eyes, Lois met his gaze as her hands stilled. “He missed?” she asked incredulously.

Clark's jaw tightened. The fingers of Lois's right hand were poking through a hole in his shirt.

Lois blinked and looked down at his shirt again. Frowning, she pulled the shirt from where it was tucked into his pants and lifted it. The undershirt had a matching slit. When she reached to lift the garment, Clark took a step backwards, effectively moving out of her reach.

“There's not even a scratch…”
His clothes have been slit, but he hasn't got a scratch!

“How did… What happened to the knife?” Lois's eyes were wide with unprocessed information.

“I told you it didn't hit me,” he answered, briskly walking over to where Lois's purse lay abandoned. He leaned down to pick it up for her. With any luck, he could encourage her to be on her way.

“Just like you didn't stop that bus.”

Clark stiffened, but he forced himself to slowly turn to face her. “I don't know what you're talking about,” he said with a forced chuckle.

Lois ignored his deflection. “And you didn't save that worker in Ilium Heights.” Her eyes began to flash with excitement as the puzzle came together. “Oh my God.”

Clark's eyes narrowed. “We should leave.”

Lois continued as if she hadn't heard them. “I didn't think they could be coincidences, but I'd have to have been crazy,” she muttered to herself. “Cairo – 2003 – the assassination attempt on the ambassador… You didn't just report that, you were the one who jumped in!” She snapped her fingers together. “Oh! And the tsunami survivors in Peru…”

Clark's head tilted and his nostrils flared. “I don't know…”

“That's how you do it,” she said, excitedly stepping closer again. “That's how you got the story all those times. You are the story!”
Lois has figured it out! She knows that whatever Clark is, he sure isn't anybody's ordinary farmboy!

But Clark is not amused.

“You investigated me?”

“I…” Lois's words stuttered to a halt and she tried to recall everything she had said in the last two minutes. She tended to speak before thinking when she got excited. “I checked your articles.”

Clark's expression hardened. “What else?” he demanded.

Normally, Lois was a master at lying to cover her ass but the angry look in Clark's eye unnerved her. She knew she had been found out – it was only a matter of admitting it. Maybe she should have listened to Jimmy…

“What else,” he asked again, startling her from her introspection.

At her apologetic expression, he pursed his lips together and dropped her purse onto the ground.

Lois's eyebrows rose in surprise as he turned and stalked out of the alley.

“Clark!” she exclaimed. She scooped up her purse and ran after him. “I'm sorry! Listen…” she tried, but when she got to the end of the passageway, he was nowhere to be seen.
What will this do to Lois and Clark's "relationship", such as it is? Will Clark simply leave Metropolis to get away from Lois?

A contact who worked at the Smithsonian Institute had helped her gain access to locked historical records under the auspicious reputation of the revered organization. A few arm twists, white lies, and grand promises later, she was now in possession of the fabled Anthony West manuscript that had made up one third of Clark's secret investigation.
Oh no!!!

I very much hope that Lois will try to bring that package to Clark, unopened. That would show him that she wants to be his partner, not his back-stabbing enemy. Unfortunately this Clark doesn't have an apartment in Metropolis. He could check out from his hotel at any moment and go anywhere, and then Lois would have no place to leave the package for Clark.

I'm eagerly looking forward to more!

Ann

#50644 03/25/08 07:17 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Like others, I want to know what's in the manuscript... (this probably isnt that alternate dimension hopping and time travelling story like I thought, hehe, but this so much more enjoyable) clap

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#50645 03/26/08 07:56 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great stuff. Can't wait what the manuscript says. And Lois hinting to Perry that she would like a partner. And then running him off. I hope she finds him, right at the forth Mahaghoni tree to the left at the sixth sidearm of th Amazon river.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#50646 03/26/08 09:46 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by AnKS:
(this probably isnt that alternate dimension hopping and time travelling story like I thought, hehe, but this so much more enjoyable) clap
To tell you the truth, I hadn't even considered the time traveling possibility until you mentioned it, lol. I've written one of those before, and it was quite the challenge. Rewarding - but none too easy, so unless my muse takes me in a chokehold, I'm steering clear of those puppies from here on out.

~s

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard