Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50535 03/20/08 12:23 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
The government really can use cell phones as eavesdropping tools.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6140191.html

Well, what do you think? (of the story wink )

#50536 03/20/08 12:58 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, I just got myself caught up with this story. Very interesting so far. I like how you have a Clark from a relatively peaceful time transported into a seemingly post apocalyptic (well, that's what it would feel like to me, anyway!) America where people can't even trust their own shadows anymore.

And hee! How will Miss Lane ever explain away the escape through the window to herself?

Good story so far, looking forward to the next bits.

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#50537 03/20/08 02:45 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
It was a good thirty more minutes before they were satisfied, and this time they took her laptop and film equipment too.
I hope she is using PGP on her laptop!

Framework4
#50538 03/20/08 04:20 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Hmm... so where is Clark?!?! Hovering nearby still I hope.

Stupid men from the FBI or wherever. I don't like them!!!

More soon!!
Carol

#50539 03/20/08 05:31 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Fascinating. The article implied (I note that there is a paucity of technical information) that this technique is best used on advanced cell phones and not just any phone. But I could be wrong.

There's a connection between Clark and Lois. They both can feel it, although they're both probably chalking it up to the absurd situation they're in. And Lois will eventually wonder how Clark knew they were about to have visitors, especially once he reappears behind her in the apartment without her spotting him.

And their assessment of the current mood of the country (I still maintain that it's darker than the reality of our today) makes me think that when Clark does save the day and the plane and the passengers and gets the heck out of Dodge, Lois will want to go with him. First, of course, they have to figure out how they all got where they are, then how they're going to get back. But Lois will be of some assistance there, I'm sure. She'll have some black ops contact who'll give them exactly the information they need to do the job.

Still taut, Shayne, and pulling tauter by the chapter. Something's got to give soon.

Like, tomorrow, maybe?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#50540 03/20/08 06:46 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Part 14! Hooray! hyper
First though, she had to find Clark and get him out.
I see he's graduated from "maniac" and "terrorist" to "Clark." wink Slow but steady progress...

You're certainly dragging out the revelation, but it's going to be all the better for the wait. laugh Though poor Lois is going to realize at that point that her Lucy really is gone... frown

This continues to be a great story. The A plot and the B plot are both strong, and the overall effect is riveting. I can't wait for part 15! notworthy

#50541 03/20/08 08:41 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I had been thinking that this story takes place more or less in "our" reality - well, with the obvious exception that there isn't any even moderately famous reporter named Lois Lane in our reality, of course - but I don't believe we are in Kansas anymore after reading this passage:

“We're under attack,” she said quietly. “Every day they push just a little bit farther, and we have to push back. Sometimes we lose a little of ourselves in the process.”
I don't think the United States is still under attack. It was under attack on 9/11, but it hasn't been attacked since then. Yes, individual Americans may certainly become targets abroad, particularly in some Muslims countries, but that is just not in any way comparable to what happened on 9/11. And I really think that most Americans will agree with me about that. So if this Lois says that the United States is still under attack, then I have to conclude that she doesn't live in our reality.

Anyway, it was great that Clark said this:

“It explains a lot,” he said finally.

“What?” Lois asked.

“Why you are all so damaged.”

Instantly she bristled. “We aren't…”

“I feel damaged,” he said quietly. “Just from watching this.”
By saying this, Clark just showed Lois that he understands why everyone here is so paranoid. Moreover, he understands her. For once they are not speaking past one another. For example, Lois is now ready to at least ponder the possibility that "her" Lucy might indeed be dead, while another Lucy still exists:

“If I'm to believe you, that means that Lucy isn't really my sister…she just happens to look like her and come from another universe.”

“You share the same genetics,” Clark said. “Effectively, it's no different.”

“If I believed your story, that would mean that Lucy…my Lucy really did die in the accident that killed my parents. It would mean that the girl in the car wasn't just some homeless person they'd picked up on the way back.” Lois shook her head and stepped away from him. “I'm not ready to believe that just yet.”
She may not be ready to believe it, but she is at least considering the possibility.

And suddenly, Clark is not a crazy terrorist or a cult leader to Lois:

“Lois,” he said.

His voice was oddly deeper, and when she turned to face him she felt the urge to laugh.

If he'd had glasses, he'd have pulled them off.

“If you are going to tell me you really are Superman, save it,” she said. “This is the real world, not a movie.”

She shook her head. She must be more jet lagged than she'd thought. She'd actually allowed the thought of alternate worlds to cross her mind once or twice.
The scene from Superman II where Christopher Reeve changed from Clark to Superman in front of Lois, where he stood up straight, took off his glasses, and spoke to her in a deeper voice - that was always my favorite scene from that movie. (Along with the heartbreakingly sweet bedroom scene, of course.) I love that this Lois would think of that scene here, so that some part of her actually expects Clark to transform himself into Superman before her eyes. Slowly and imperceptively she is beginning to believe him.

And then Lois gets plenty of evidence that her own country has become a frightening police state where individual humans so easily get crushed underfoot when the big government machinery starts lumbering after real and perceived threats. I loved how Lois scared Agent Randal, however.

I loved the hissing window. It goes without saying that Clark flew out that way. The question is whether he is hovering outside or if he has flown away somewhere.

Eagerly looking forward to the next part, Shayne!

Ann

#50542 03/20/08 11:03 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Framework4:
It was a good thirty more minutes before they were satisfied, and this time they took her laptop and film equipment too.
I hope she is using PGP on her laptop!
You really think PGP can't be cracked?

Another fascinating chapter - still very interested to see where it's going.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#50543 03/21/08 04:51 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The next chapter! hyper

“I feel damaged,” he said quietly. “Just from watching this.”
I can understand that so well...

It surprised her a little, the moment she said it. It was true. Her life had been empty since her parents had died. Losing her family had left a void in her life, one that had already begun on the day she’d been on that street in New York and had the foundations of her life begin to crack.

She’d had friends who hadn’t made it.

Those two defining events in her life had led her to where she was today; an empty shell living alone in a home that wasn’t really a home.
Seems perfect for her to go with Clark to his world.

If he’d had glasses, he’d have pulled them off.
Simply great! laugh

One of them went into her bedroom and she tensed. However, other than the sounds of things being flipped over, there was no sign of conflict from the other room.
Clark is long gone out of the window...

I didn’t get the information from Agent White,” Lois said, finally realizing where she knew the man from. “Actually, I got the information from you.”
Scowling the man said, “There’s no point in lying. If you don’t cooperate, I’ll…”
“I’m not lying, Agent Randal.” At the expression on his face Lois grinned. He hadn’t introduced himself, but she’d seen his name tag and had remembered the name. “You were in Walter Reid hospital talking on the telephone about there being two Lieutenant Evans, fingerprints matching and you complained to someone…a shorter man, heavyset man about him even being there.”
Serves this agent right, I don´t like him! So he gets what he deserves! evil

“Clark?” she called out softly, not wanting to alert anyone listening through whatever bugs they’d left in her bedroom.
There was no reply.
Where is he? On the roof? On in the air a few meters over her window? Revelation time, Clark! Come out!

Next chapter, please, soon! grovel

#50544 03/21/08 06:43 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This is an amazing story, and it touches on alot of things. I've been reading different books lately...one I highly recommend is CONSTITUTION IN EXILE by Judge Andrew Napolitano. Another is THE END OF AMERICA by Naomi Wolf. One book was written by a conservative, the other by a liberal, yet they both point to the blatant disregard for the constitution both before and increasingly so after 9/11. So many have been willing to trade in liberty for security, which is understandable to a point. The problem is, when the gov't gets power, they rarely give it back. The Bush Admin. has justified the holding of the people in Gitmo based on their not being under the jurisdiction of the Constitution, but this is dangerous thinking. The assumption they are making is that the government gives rights to people, not that men are "endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights"--the laws of nature and "nature's god." So if the gov't gives the rights, then the gov't can take them away.

I have been reading this story eagerly, and my heart aches for the Lois of this universe as I do for all of us. My impression is that this Lois indeed lives in this reality, because even though there have been no more attacks on American soil to date, there is among many a sense that with our country embroiled in war in Iraq and Afghanistan, that we are still so vulnerable. While I myself believe that we should be getting out of Iraq, I also have family and friends within the military and I honor them for their service to my country.
Mostly, I feel the same apprehension you so vividly paint Lois feeling, as our rights are stripped away and hardly any seem to care.

Thomas Jefferson said, "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
It is sad that we live in such times, and I fear for the future of this great country. Too bad Clark Kent can't swoop in and save us. Unfortunately in this reality, it is up to us to save ourselves. mecry
Please keep writing...perhaps it will sound the alarm to others.
Marcy

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
#50545 03/21/08 10:11 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
You really think PGP can't be cracked?
Of course it can be cracked. If you are careless or use a short pass phrase but otherwise only by spending a vast amount of computer time on very powerful expensive supercomputers systems.

It is very unlikely anyone would be willing to spend several million dollars just on the hope maybe Lane has something on her laptop.

And if they did, well it still takes time.

PGP Backdoors
cracking pgp
PGP public cracking

Framework4
#50546 03/21/08 11:22 PM
Kerth
Kerth
There's a plausible scenario in which the US govt. initially opposes the release of PGP because they can't crack it, then continue to oppose it because they can and it's in their interests to appear to be unable to crack it, then caved in to industry pressure because it was doing exactly what they wanted.

But assuming it's not easily broken, in the case of e.g. Lois the first thing the government would probably try is a few dozen passwords generated from names associated with the fictional LL - Krypton, for example - and the real Lois's life e.g. Social Security number, payroll number, family birthdays and anniversaries, license plates, etc. etc.

Incidentally, it's probably a safe assumption that any message using PGP gets more than its fair share of attention from the security services. Tracking PGP traffic, evn if you can't decode it, is probably a useful intelligence tool.

Marcus L. Rowland
#50547 03/22/08 02:52 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
There's a plausible scenario in which the US govt. initially opposes the release of PGP because they can't crack it, then continue to oppose it because they can and it's in their interests to appear to be unable to crack it, then caved in to industry pressure because it was doing exactly what they wanted.
That scenario is addressed by Philip Zimmermann in the link PGP Backdoors .

Incidentally, it's probably a safe assumption that any message using PGP gets more than its fair share of attention from the security services. Tracking PGP traffic, evn if you can't decode it, is probably a useful intelligence tool.
You do know you can encrypt more than just messages? Entire hard drives? Removable media (Keydrives, and SD and CF and MiniSD and so forth)...

Framework4
#50548 03/22/08 04:30 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I *love* this story so far! Thank you so much!

#50549 03/24/08 10:54 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm enjoying the way this unfolds. Neither Lois nor Clark seems quite ready to trust each other, but that seems only a matter of time. When Lois returned Clark's wallet, that was a great matter of trust exhibited. While she didn't have much to lose, since someone was at the door, she did give up her physical evidence without knowing for certain that it was the government.

I do see this world as darker than our own. I think that someone who spends eight months of each year in a war zone would tend to see the dark sides easier, however.

I am less concerned with what the government will find on her computer than with evidence that Lois has lost.

On a side note, Lois never checked to make sure the warrant was legal. Assuming it isn't?

Elisabeth

#50550 03/24/08 11:43 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Framework4:
[b] There's a plausible scenario in which the US govt. initially opposes the release of PGP because they can't crack it, then continue to oppose it because they can and it's in their interests to appear to be unable to crack it, then caved in to industry pressure because it was doing exactly what they wanted.
That scenario is addressed by Philip Zimmermann in the link PGP Backdoors .

You do know you can encrypt more than just messages? Entire hard drives? Removable media (Keydrives, and SD and CF and MiniSD and so forth)... [/b]
You can go around in endless circles on this, the bottom line is always going to be that we just don't know - but it's safe enough to say that PGP is probably the no.1 target for a LOT of cryptography research, and may not remain secure forever. Using "social engineering" methods to find out likely key sources from e.g. birthdays etc. will work just as well for encrypted disks etc. as for individual messages - I know I drifted slightly away from the original topic, the encryption of the drive, but it's a point that sometimes gets forgotten amongst people who put reliance on PGP.

If you want to feel really paranoid take a look at some of the ideas on what quantum computing may eventually do to previously secure messages etc.

Marcus L. Rowland

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard