Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm afraid that this is going to be a bit short, but I wanted to start the FDK thread anyway.

Let me begin with what you said last:

As a note, to make sure it is clear that very few good ideas are mine, it was my husband's idea to find some way of eliminating the kryptonite that took a lot of money so that Jimmy could pay for it. I know there are some people who are not exactly fans of Jimmy, but I've always liked him and seen him as a loyal friend to both Clark and Superman. And with Lois already doing so much to help Clark and Perry being the one to find him covered in kryptonite, I really liked the idea that Jimmy can play his part, too and solving this problem is something that is done as a group, not just by Lois and Clark.
I'm not a huge Jimmy fan myself. That means, among other things, that I wouldn't read a fanfic story that focused on Jimmy. But Justin Whalin was cute as Jimmy, and I have nothing against the guy. If your Jimmy is rich, then I think it would be very much in character for him to want to pitch in economically as much as he could to help Superman. I'm glad Jimmy (and Pam) are going to do their bit by providing the plane and the huge piece of titanium.

And I loved this:

“What problems?” Jimmy asked. “Titanium isn't that hard to come by. And neither is a private plane.”

Lois laughed, “You have one, Jimmy?”

“Well, no, but we could rent one and Alice could fly it.”

“Alice?” Clark asked, glancing at the older woman.

Alice smiled, “Well, I could. It's been a couple of years, but my pilot's license is still valid.”

“You're a pilot?” Lois asked, amazed.

“Well, I needed something to keep me busy while Perry was working at the Planet. After the boys grew up, I got bored. I'd always wanted to learn how to fly, so I did. Like I said, I don't get to do it much as it's expensive to get a plane, but I love it.”
Alice is going to fly the plane!!! Yeahh!!! smile1 thumbsup I'm interested in how you will resolve the B-plot, too.

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
I loved seeing Jimmy with his family! I'm also a bit of a Jimmy supporter, it was great to see him in a role where he could help out.

And Alice as a pilot! I'm loving the mental picture I'm getting of this...

I see it as a good thing that Clark was able to tell Pam about his secret. It shows his growth as a person over the last ten years.

Looking forward to the next (and last mecry ) part.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I cannot believe that I missed this or I would have replied sooner! Anyway, another great part and I still cannot believe that you're going to wrap up in one more chapter.

Lois got down on the floor and pulling over a toy truck she found under the table, she ran it over CK’s leg. He laughed, sitting down beside her and within moments the two were the best of friends.

“Well, I never thought I’d see the day,” came the voice from the doorway.
I never thought I'd see the day either.
“I never pictured you as being good with kids, Lois,” Jimmy said.

“What do you think I was saying?” Perry asked, referencing his comment on entering the house.

“Hey,” Lois looked up at them, her voice indignant. “I spent the last several years taking care of my niece. I’m good with kids,” she declared.

“No, Lois. You are wonderful with kids,” Clark corrected as he came out of the kitchen with Pam behind.
There is an undertone of desire for kids...with Lois...on Clark's part. He wants Lois to know that he's noticed these changes about her and he wants to be a part of wherever those changes take her.
“Pam, Jimmy knows something that is a secret. Nearly everyone who knows it is in this room. And I know Jimmy is struggling with keeping his word that he wouldn’t tell anyone and not wanting to keep secrets from you.” Clark turned to Jimmy, “I guess we should have talked about this before, Jim, but I don’t expect you to keep secrets from your wife for me.”

Jimmy immediately looked relieved and smiled. “Thanks, CK,” he said, his voice quiet. Lois reached over to takes Clark’s hand, feeling strangely proud of him for realizing that this was not a time to protect his secret at all costs. He really did seem to have started to come to terms with the fact that sometimes there were things that were more important.
There was a moment of silence before Pam laughed. “I should have known,” she said. “Jimmy put you up to this, didn’t he? I was wondering when it was going to happen.”

“When what was going to happen?” Lois asked.

“The prank. Jimmy goes into withdrawal or something when he’s been away, so it’s always bigger. I should have realized he’d rope one of you into it.”

Clark reached up to remove his glasses and placed them on the table and then pushed his hair back into a style more like Superman. He knew it would not be perfect without the hair gel, but hopefully it would be close enough. “I’m sorry, but this isn’t a joke.”

Pam, however, continued to laugh. “I have to admit, hon,” she said to Jimmy. “This is one of your better ones. Clark does look a lot like Superman.”

Clark walked into the kitchen and came back out with a steak knife. “I wish I could do something more convincing, but hope this will work.” Lois closed her eyes as Clark moved the knife over the skin of his arm. She knew Bernard had had some trouble getting the needle in to Clark’s arm yesterday, but he was able to do it. What if Clark was not invulnerable yet?
Like Ann, I have a problem with Clark so willingly sharing his secret with Jimmy's wife...whom he has known for all of 5 minutes and then provide proof to convince her when she didn't believe him but would not share this with Lois over 10+ years.
A tear slipped down Clark’s cheek and Lois got up to place her hand in his. Clark looked down at her with a look of wonderment in his eyes. “Yes,” she whispered to him. “All of us are glad to have you back.”
And there is that touch that says everything between the two of them. They know each others needs so well. Enough of the hand holding! It's time for them to kiss...and not retract it!

I think it's sweet that Jimmy named his son after Clark but what will Clark and Lois name their son? peep

Nice job and though I don't want the story to end, hurry back with part 25! BRAVA!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thank you for the feedback! It's always such a pleasure to find!

Ann,

Alice really got on my good side when she gave Lois that hug, by the way!
I was trying to paint an image with that. We don't see much of Alice on the show, I'm not sure she's ever there except in ways where she's hard to see (in the episode where she and Perry are kidnapped). But I've always figured it would take an incredible woman to be married to Perry who seems mostly married to his job. I was hoping with just a few words to have her come to life a little. (Thus the plane thing, too – it helped explain how she put up with Perry for all those years. She had her own passion she was pursuing.)

I tried to do the same with Pam, whom I see as a lot like Jimmy – enthusiastic and eager to help, and smart although not quite aware of how smart she is.

I wasn't quite so happy when Clark found it so easy to tell Pam his secret, even though he hadn't been able to tell Lois for ten years.
You know, given this comment from you and Sheila, I considered changing it. And I considered just asking if others thought it should be changed before archiving, just because changing would require basically rewriting this chapter. But I've decided not to. I know this clearly didn't come across to either of you, but it was supposed to be about Clark's having grown. Beth sums it up quite well actually.

The idea behind this was that Clark is getting a little better about recognizing that while the secret is a secret for a reason, he shouldn't be keeping it a secret at all costs. And in the same way he shouldn't keep secrets from Lois, he can't expect Jimmy to keep secrets from his wife. He didn't tell Pam because it was convenient. He told Pam out of respect for Jimmy and Jimmy's commitment to Pam.

Actually, what made me think of it was not convenience at all. It was a memory I had as I started writing this part. I was trying to figure out how Jimmy could donate a large sun of money to Clark without telling Pam (who her brother, who owns half of Jimmy's business) and then I remembered this. While as with most family relationships, it comes and goes, at various times throughout our marriage my husband has been friends with my brother – as in real friends aside from me. At some point a few years back, my brother told my husband something he did not want me to know. I don't even remember what it was. What I do remember was my husband telling me about it later. He was annoyed when my brother started the conversation with “Don't tell Nancy…” and he cut my brother off to say, “If you don't want Nancy to know, then don't tell me. I don't keep secrets from her.”

I grew up in a family where trust is really not that big an issue and more than one of my family members have clear lying problems to the point of some of them needing psychological help. My husband for reasons I'm not completely clear on is almost maniacal in being honest. And as such, trust is a very big thing in our relationship. I recognize this is not the case for everyone – my parents seem to have a pretty good marriage and I know they keep secrets from each other.

But for me, part of what makes me feel secure and safe and loved in my marriage is the knowledge that my husband would never lie to me. And it makes me feel good that he knows that despite the rest of my family, I would never lie to him.

I feel like given Clark's need to keep his secret a secret, and the length of time it took him to tell her (particularly in this story) the same would be true for him and Lois. Trust and honesty would be a cornerstone of their relationship. And while it's not the case for everyone, and they would know that just as I do, it is a bit hypocritical to say, “I don't keep any secrets from my spouse,” but to then expect someone else to keep a secret from their spouse for you.

So, in effect, Clark tells Pam his secret as a sign of his complete honesty to Lois, as this is the type of relationship he wants to have with her. One where people would know not to tell him anything they didn't want Lois to know, because there wasn't anything they didn't share. (I'm ignoring, of course, silly things like birthday presents and surprise
parties, but hopefully you get the idea.)

Beth,

And Alice as a pilot! I'm loving the mental picture I'm getting of this...
I know it's not accurate, as this story takes place in present day, but when I picture this, I get a mental image of Amelia Earhart. Open cockpit, protective goggles…

Sheila,

I think it's sweet that Jimmy named his son after Clark but what will Clark and Lois name their son?
Given that I only have one more chapter left, you can probably guess that I'm not going to have to figure that out for this fic. But feel free to make suggestions. smile In Packing Up Home, I named him Kyle. In my head, I decided he was named for Lois' maternal grandfather, but it didn't play into the story at all, so it was really just a random name.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard