Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50404 03/13/08 10:34 AM
sunrei Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
So... a little more A-plot, and a few more questions, lol. I have to admit that I usually don't do alot of A-plot, so I am challenging myself here. Hopefully there will be enough of a mix of A and B to keep things moving along nicely. Feel free to let me know if not!

Thanks for reading!
~Sonia

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
#50405 03/13/08 10:41 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Awww - i was already thinking of a fun FDK title - like 'Family Ties' or something wink .

I LOVE the non-dysfunctional Lane family!!! Really! And 'Uncle Bernie'... CLASSIC!!

I'm thinking Jonathan's spells or whatever may be the reason Clark is on the story. I'm not quite sure what he's looking for in the DP archives or whatever though.

Very interesting and I can't wait for more smile .
Carol

#50406 03/13/08 02:35 PM
sunrei Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by carolm:
Awww - i was already thinking of a fun FDK title - like 'Family Ties' or something wink .
lol- the next one can be yours wink
Thanks!

October Sands, An Urban Fairy Tale featuring Lois and Clark
"Elastigirl? You married Elastigirl? (sees the kids) And got bizzay!" -- Syndrome, The Incredibles
#50407 03/13/08 03:18 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
YAY! smile Now I just have to make sure I'm around when you post it wink .

Carol [off to grade papers while studiously ignoring Momentum II grumble stupid 'random fic finder' opening Momentum which I'd never read [/grumble]]

#50408 03/13/08 03:45 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
My favorite part was Lois' reaction to realizing she would now have to go to the kitchen to dump her coffee.

Elisabeth

#50409 03/13/08 06:02 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Like Carol said...

I LOVE the non-dysfunctional Lane family!!! Really! And 'Uncle Bernie'... CLASSIC!!
Yeah!!! jump

And Elisabeth pointed out another little gem:

My favorite part was Lois' reaction to realizing she would now have to go to the kitchen to dump her coffee.
Ha-ha!!! Yeah!!!

That exchange between Lois and George the guard was delightful, too. People make happy small talk with this Lois. She isn't Mad Dog Lane here.

A favorite part of mine was the "motto" for this part:

Knowledge is not a loose-leaf notebook of facts. Above all, it is a responsibility for the integrity of what we are, primarily of what we are as ethical creatures. -- Jacob Bronowski, English historian & mathematician
I absolutely agree. But you know what? The fact that knowledge isn't a loose-leaf notebook of facts for us humans sometimes makes us more stupid than animals. Really. We have this compulsive need to see patterns in everything, and sometimes we see patterns where there are none, and sometimes we see quite the wrong patterns instead of the ones that are really there. Well, a friend of mine has just recently seen an experiment demonstrated on Swedish television, an experiment performed on humans and mice. Two lamps lit up in a totally random pattern, but the humans hadn't been told that it was random. (The mice hadn't been told either, I suppose. smile ) If the participants could foresee which lamp would light up next, they scored a point. (And the mice got a little piece of cheese or something. smile )

Well, the humans desperately tried to memorize in what order the lamps had lit up before, and they tried to make out a pattern which would tell them how the lamps would light up next. But there was no pattern. Trying to make out a pattern meant that the humans got, at best, a score of 65%. The mice, however, quickly figured out that it was the lamp on the right that lit up most frequently, and they ignored the lamp on the left and just waited for the lamp on the right to light up. And because the lamp on the right lit up 80% of the time, each and every one of the mice got a better score than each and every one of the humans! Imagine that!

As for seeing the wrong pattern... that was like how Lois refused to see that Clark was Superman in the show, so that she was forced to come up with the explanation that Clark was a flake who needed to run off whenever they had a serious conversation.

Last time, Lois seemed to be on the verge of realizing something interesting about Clark. I'm looking forward to more B-plot in the next part, and I hope Lois will be able to make out the right pattern! wink

Ann

#50410 03/14/08 07:55 AM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by TOC:
Two lamps lit up in a totally random pattern, but the humans hadn't been told that it was random.....

....But there was no pattern. Trying to make out a pattern meant that the humans got, at best, a score of 65%....

...The mice, however, quickly figured out that it was the lamp on the right that lit up most frequently,....

...The lamp on the right lit up 80% of the time...
rotflol rotflol Are you listening to yourself? You just said the mice quickly caught on to the pattern! The pattern being that the lamp on the right lit up 80% of the time.

So rather than being random there was a pattern just not a predictable sequence.

Framework4
#50411 03/16/08 02:49 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I really enjoyed this part. It's so weird to see the characterization upside down in your story, but it really makes it fresh.
The reality was that, like in the past, he could do this investigation from anywhere – he didn’t necessarily *have* to take up residence in Metropolis in order to work on the Cyprhen story. Gaining access to the Daily Planet’s advanced search engine was the real reason he needed to be there.
Ooo, the plot thickens. What is Clark really after? I thought that his father's episodes were tied to the chemical byproduct which led him to investigate in Metropolis in the first place, but now I'm not so sure. Can't wait to see what Clark's really there for.

Loved, loved LOVED the dinner banter between the Lanes. I think my favorite part was when Lois protested to her father about Ellen's claim that Clark was "hot" and his reply? "Well, is he cute or is he hot?" Totally LOL! rotflol

More soon,
BJ

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard