Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#50373 03/12/08 06:17 PM
Top Banana
Online Content
Top Banana
Well, at least Lois didn't have a melt-down at Clark looking through her Superman DVD collection. But watching the 9-11 attacks had to have been hell for Clark.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#50374 03/12/08 06:26 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ditto. Interesting that 9/11 was her big break. Kind of like the... Ashley? chick on MSNBC. She was a 'nobody' news wise [an assistant of some kind?] who was in the right place at the right time [such that it was] and became a 'big time' correspondent. Sheesh - does anyone remember who I'm talking about? She went to Afghanistan too... had short blond hair and short reddish hair at one point...

Anyway - wonder what Clark thinks of the DVDs [did you mean to say CDs there?] and how close they are to his life [I'm guessing she has the TV show? Or does this universe have a LC: TNAOS?].

Poor Clark watching that footage frown .

Good for Lois doing some investigating. Can't wait to see what else she turns up and what the pills the one guy is taking are...
Carol

#50375 03/12/08 06:36 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A late-night gift! Hooray! dance

Another great part, Shayne! I especially enjoy how you take the time to paint the side characters, like Javier.
If someone was able to use plastic surgery well enough to fool everyone, to the point of changing fingerprints, they’d be able to slip into positions of power.
Sigh... maybe it really is going to take a demonstration of Clark's powers. Even if Lois hears about the identical DNA, she'll just think that "the enemy" knows how to clone people! (Why does the line "there is no such thing as an invisible man" come to mind?) Though maybe knowing that Lucy is not her Lucy, but is still Lucy, would help.
Around him were CD cases for her Superman collection.
...and maybe Clark will realize now that the cat's already out of the bag, so he might as well 'fess up to being "not your typical male." wink
It took her a moment to realize what was on the screen that had him so transfixed.
I agree, poor Clark! He's experiencing it for the first time. And unlike the rest of us, he has the guilt of feeling he could have done something to lessen the tragedy if he'd had the chance. Maybe this will help him see that being Superman is something he needs to do.

Needless to say, I await the next installment with anxious anticipation! grovel

#50376 03/12/08 07:28 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
If watching 9/11 coverage doesn't convince Clark that he needs to don the suit nothing will. smile

Nice part.

Framework4
#50377 03/12/08 08:21 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
It's frustrating how Lois puts together all that evidence that the plane was full of "impostors", or identical twins, full of people already existing in the United States, and yet the only reason she can come up with for anyone to pull off something so mindbogglingly complicated and sophisticated and yet so unbelievably sloppy at the same time - why put all those impostors in the same plane and make sure that they would be caught??? - well, the only reason she can think of is the following:

The scope of it all was staggering. Even discounting the plane, which must have been stolen from somewhere, this would have cost tens or hundreds of millions of dollars. The resources required for this were out of the range of any known terrorist group.

That suggested that it was another country that was sponsoring the whole thing. Only another nation would have the sheer resources to pull something like this off, and if they wanted to put the military in disarray, that could mean only one thing.

An attack was coming.
Aaaahh gaaah. Okay. I admit it, if somebody tried to convince me that a plane from another reality had been caught in a "reality storm" and somehow been "swept away" over to our world - well, I would have laughed in their face and slapped my knees until they hurt. Another reality, indeed! A reality storm!!!!!

I don't blame Lois for not even thinking of such an explanation. Which is why I think that Clark needs to show her that he can fly. He must show her that, or she just won't believe him. I know that if a guy who looked so much like Superman showed me that he could fly, and if he let me feel the space above him to make sure that there were no wires, and if he went elsewhere and demonstrated that his flying worked in all sort of environments, and if he could fly even if he changed clothes, and if he was willing to, hmmmm, strip naked in front of me so I could see that he didn't have some amazing flying gizmo hidden somewhere on his person - well, if he could still fly when he had done all that, I would have believed him. Hey, show me incontrovertible proof, and I will believe!

I hope Clark will fly in front of Lois, either deliberately or accidentally. Doing it accidentally, like in his sleep, would probably be even better proof.

So Clark has just learnt about 9/11, eh? Well, that ought to explain everybody's paranoia to him. Me, I hope he also watched a good deal of Lois's Superman DVDs. They ought to have told him that this Superman guy is almost a copy of himself, except that Superman has gone public with his powers, donned a colorful super suit and turned his Clark persona into his secret identity.

Looking forward to more, Shayne!

Ann

#50378 03/12/08 09:12 PM
Kerth
Kerth
OK, at least Clark now know why we're paranoid - hopefully Lois will get him up to speed on the rise in terrorism that followed, so he knows it wasn't a one-off. His reaction ought to be interesting, especially if he thinjks something like that might happen in his universe.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#50379 03/13/08 01:48 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Great chapter, shayne. Lois's conclusion on where the plane and passengers came from is nuts, of course, but it's more reasonable than the alternate reality explanation, which Ann has already mentioned. And I, like others, wonder how much the 9/11 images Clark is viewing will affect him.

I was halfway across the country that day. I had dropped my daughter off at school and was playing recorded music in the car, so I didn't know about the attacks until I got to work. Everybody - and I mean everybody - stayed glued to the television sets while the entire horrible story unfolded. We got no work done that day, naturally, and I still feel anger at the cowards who killed over three thousand innocents with four airliners.

I can only imagine what Clark must feel. I think this will impel him to return to his own world as soon as he can figure out a way to get back. And I'd think he'd take both the plane and all the passengers back, too, maybe with one brunette tornado hitching a ride to a better place.

Of course, I've been wrong before. So please, Shayne, let us know what happens next! This is a great story. Kerth-worthy, I believe. I know you won't let us down.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#50380 03/13/08 05:17 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
So now Clark gets it, but Lois doesn't. I like the parallels you have written here.

I was on my way to a prayer meeting when the second tower fell. We got a lot of praying done that way.

It was amazing to me how everyone reacted that day. We all reacted with the same intensity, even though our reactions were individual. Hopefully, Lois will notice that intensity in Clark's reaction; it can't be faked. Hopefully, that will be a sign to her that Clark is telling the truth.

Elisabeth

#50381 03/13/08 08:52 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow, what a chapter!

“I heard one of them say he was ‘just like the others,’ whatever that means.” The officer frowned. “What did you say this story was about again?”
“I didn’t,” Lois said. “Did they have you bring anybody else in for questioning?”
“Two others. They took one look at one, checked his prints and sent him off right away. The other they took downtown.”
Hmmm... why the difference in handling those people? Are there some people who are not identical to their "imposters" on the plane?

Had they been trying to slip imposters into the military? That would explain why Homeland Security was so concerned. If someone was able to use plastic surgery well enough to fool everyone, to the point of changing fingerprints, they’d be able to slip into positions of power.
But imposters in such positions would make mistakes due to their missing knowledge of people and information. That wouldn´t work. And how does she explain the knowledge of Imposter-Lucy about very private details of their childhood?

The threat, and the implication was that someone already had been replacing soldiers, officers and even politicians. It must be expensive to do all of that, and so it was cheaper just to create confusion and distrust in the ranks.
Paranoia is rising...

She was going to have to get her locks changed, sooner rather than later. At this rate, she should be charging her intruders rent.
Nice idea! Would Homeland Security be willing to pay? If she tried it with Clark she even could be successful!

Around him were CD cases for her Superman collection. Although she’d never cared for the shows, her parents had insisted on gifting her with them, and after they were gone she’d continued the pattern.
You write `the shows´. Do you mean he has been watching `Lois and Clark´? Or did you mean the movies? Anyway, now he has enough information about Superman and also knows it´s futile to pretend to be a normal human being. Show her, Clark!

It took her a moment to realize what was on the screen that had him so transfixed.
It was an image that had been burned into the mind of every American, one that had been played over and over and over again until it had been seared into the psyche.
Images of planes and fire and death.
With seven words you have managed to send me back nearly seven years, and the images were there in the blink of an eye. I coudn´t get rid of them the whole day. (I read the chapter in the morning before work) It was the same for me, I came home, my telephone started ringing, and then my mother told me: "Turn the TV on!" I did... and then I was standing - not sitting - for two hours in front of it, and I was not able to move. And let me tell you: the images are seared not only into the mind of the Americans.

What is Clark feeling right now? I think I can imagine. And I hope he knows what he has to do now.

It also will be a disturbing experience for Lois. She sees a first reaction to these images, and I think it would need a great actor to fake this reaction. So she will hopefully realize that he really didn´t know anything about 9/11. There are not many people - except from North Korea and places like that - who don´t know about 9/11.

What a climax to this chapter - and what an evil cliffhanger! Come back right now and post the next chapter! grovel

#50382 03/13/08 10:59 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
And let me tell you: the images are seared not only into the mind of the Americans.
You're right. The whole world seemed to mourned. We felt that support from the world community, too.

#50383 03/13/08 12:34 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by TOC:
and if he was willing to, hmmmm, strip naked in front of me
rotflol
It sound like an ulterior motive to me.

Framework4
#50384 03/13/08 03:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You're right. The whole world seemed to mourned. We felt that support from the world community, too.
An extraordinary amen to that. I landed in Antalya, Turkey about an hour before the attack. Pretty much everybody I ran into all week apologized and made sure I didn't need anything while I was stuck in the country. I made friends that week that I will never forget.

Just catching up with a few parts, Shayne, and am loving the story. I'm with Ann, I can't imagine what would convince Lois of an alternate reality besides the flying...if I was Lois, I probably would guess an attack as well just based on who she's talked to in this last part...can't wait to find out what happens next!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#50385 03/16/08 11:52 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Superb part. Intriguing and realistic. Also loved the fact that Lois immediately relaxes once she realizes the intruder's Clark. Very telling! smile1

wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#50386 03/16/08 02:18 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Chilling end to another great part. It will be interesting to witness the next conversation between Clark and Lois now that Clark has a better idea what he's up against. He probably knows a great deal more about Superman and Clark Kent and Lois Lane, as well as the state of this world he's in. Depressed and anxious to leave, I'd bet.

Jenn said:
I'm with Ann, I can't imagine what would convince Lois of an alternate reality besides the flying...
I'm not so sure that even the flying would convince Lois now that she thinks an attack is coming. She's already made up her mind (almost) that the whole plane group is part of a cult. What's to stop her from thinking that anything she sees or feels while with Clark isn't the result of some kind of drug? I'm not sure what would convince Lois, short of time to really get to know Clark and/or time seeing him perform rescues in the suit.

Part 13 soon, please.
BJ

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard