Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50280 03/08/08 10:16 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thread started. My work here is done. laugh

I'm off to lie in the bath. Promise to read it later, Beth.

(Ok, the bath was left to go a bit cold.)

Jay and Ellie? Love/hate, fine line... What's wrong with him? And what's dad got in store for Kaylie?

Looking forward to seeing where this goes. smile

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#50281 03/08/08 01:16 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Can't wait to see where this goes!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#50282 03/09/08 12:02 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“It’s just that your heartbeat is kinda screwy,” she replied. “And there’s some inflammation in your corneas that’s consistent with-”
Drugs?

“No more than breaking into someone’s apartment and lying in wait for them to come home,” she replied sarcastically.

“I’m used to doing things undercover. So sue me,” Jay replied. “That doesn’t give you the right to be critical of what I do.”

“It does when it interferes with my family,” Ellie shot back.

“Jay,” I interrupted him before he could respond. “Can you just drop it? Please?” Why was he deliberately provoking her? Whatever tension that had build so quickly between the two of them dissipated at my intervention, yet I could still sense some stormy undercurrents
Hm. Could this mean more than just dislike between the in-laws. Could this actually lead to Kaylie and Jon becoming in-laws?

And what is Mr. Stewart going to be like? And why do I have the sudden image of Robert De Niro in Meet the Parents in front of my minds eye?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#50283 03/09/08 02:02 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Excellent chapter, Beth! I wasn't anticipating Ellie and Jay being immediate friends, but I didn't expect Jay to be so antagonistic towards Ellie. I wonder if he has some anti-Kryptonian prejudice that Kaylie doesn't know about? And what's up with his inflamed corneas? Has he been wearing colored contacts while in disguise, or has he been exposed to some toxic chemicals lately? Maybe it's chemicals; that might explain the wonky heartbeat, too.

Your writing is full of subtle and unexpected humor, but these two examples had me laughing out loud.

“There’s a lot we have to discuss,” I agreed. “We’re merging lives here, there’s got to be considerations! Whose furniture are we going to keep, and how are we going to deal with expenses. And,” I continued with mounting panic, “I drink skim milk, but you drink 2%. It’d be stupid to buy two types of milk, but who’s going to switch milks? I like skim. But you probably like 2%. It’d be completely unfair to expect one person to switch to a milk they don’t like just to cut down on grocery costs!”

“And we’re also going to have to fight over who gets what side of the secret compartment,” Jon added with a smile.
How many couples have both of those issues at the same time?

And this:
“You know, I can think of another thing that almost married people do.”

“Oh, really?” I asked innocently. “Care to tell me what that might be?”

“I’d rather show you.”

“Wait,” I exclaimed before he could kiss me. “My brother’s going to be home any second. We can’t let him catch us making out again.”

“Luckily, I happen to know a place completely free of sibling infestation,” Jon replied with a grin.
How funny! That means that wherever they're going, Ellie isn't likely to just drop in on them, so it probably won't be his apartment. And "sibling infestation?" Boy, I wish I'd come up with that phrase!

It's sad and more than a little poignant that Jon is flashing back on his grandfather's illness (maybe his last illness?). If that's foreshadowing, it's totally excellent, because you haven't hinted at the person whose apparent demise will impact our newest favorite couple. Or, maybe you're just showing us Jon's insecurities. Either way, it's a hint of something serious to come, something which will disrupt Jon and Kaylie's relationship and put intense pressure on them. Can't wait to learn what it is.

I'm a little surprised, though, that these two virgins are so casually talking about spending the night together. Whether by plan or happenstance, they have the opportunity to make their first intimate partners their only intimate partners. Maybe they're just talking about spending the night in the same place, not "smokin' the sheets" or something. Hope so, anyway.

And I'm also concerned about Agent Watson/Stewart/Sykes/Collins/(insert other alias here) and his abrupt response to Kaylie's engagement announcement. Will Kaylie tell her dad about Jon's "other job," or will Jay spill the beans? Or will everyone decide that having Jay in on the secret is dangerous enough for everyone?

Oh, one more thing. Lucy's hint about the tabloid reporter who caught Lois and Superman together was truly devilish. Now Ellie and Jon have more ammunition to defend themselves against their parents if they need it.

So where's the next chapter?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#50284 03/09/08 06:44 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Drugs were my first thought too, but it's possible I'm wrong...

More soon smile . Now. Now would be good wink .
Carol

#50285 03/10/08 09:46 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks guys for the feedback!

Jay and Ellie certainly did not get along. This is for a number of reasons (and although your theory is interesting, Terry, I had never thought of it that way) One, Ellie is a little upset that Jay knows the family secret. She's not going to complain about it to Kaylie or Jon, but that doesn't prevent her from being a little hostile towards Jay when she's given an opening. Two, Jay is a very private person, who is currently going through something difficult in his life. Being told that he looks ill, and therefore incapable of doing what he needs to do hits him very deeply, so he's likely to lash out. No to mention the fact that their personalities clash a little. Ellie is naturally open and truthful, and Jay naturally keeps things to himself. So it makes it a little difficult for them when they meet up.

And Terry, I tried to drop a few subtle hints in as to the status of Kaylie and Jon, but perhaps I should've just come out and said it. It's been two weeks after the events of Honesty, and they've been getting along swimmingly. I think Kaylie uses the term "Honeymoon-like bliss" or something to that effect. I think they were getting pretty close by the end of Honesty, plus having two perfect weeks of growing closeness... I know someone mentioned an nfic epilogue to HOnesty, and since I don't write nfic, you'll have to just imagine that it happened. Perhaps I cheated you guys a bit by not letting you see that. Hopefully you'll forgive me. wink

I've banned myself from doing anymore writing this week because "paper season" has kicked into overdrive for me, but I do have a bit of a buffer, so the next part should still be up sometime during the weekend

#50286 03/10/08 05:52 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
corneal abrasions? maybe a fight and someone threw sand in his eyes. or maybe he's been poisoned and is slowly dying...

anyway, as fun as it is to speculate, i would rather read the next story.

i still love ellie. she's a bit like lois really

cheers
Em

ps. maybe u might allow someone to write that nfic epilogue to honesty!

Lois: Clark, you don't have to be embarrassed. That's what friends are for. Just tell me how much.
Clark: Lois, I want you to go out with me!
#50287 03/10/08 06:04 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Hmmm... I didn't get that Beth. I don't do nfic - writing and exceptionally rarely reading - so that's not it. I just got the impression that they hadn't actually... you know... yet. That they'd spent time together and had some serious make out sessions etc, but not 'that'. Not that they were waiting to get married or whatever, but that maybe for a big date night or something - I don't know. The 'honeymoon period' or whatever line could mean lots of things and not necessarily... that... No fights since the engagement etc.

However, knowing that, makes the interruptus scenes read differently, imo.

Of course, we must take your word for it smile so if you say they have at some point... then they have.

That said, I would have liked to see you be a bit more specific about where that part of there relationship is. Nothing N or anything like that, just... remembering that night while making out in Jon's office or something. Being unable to keep their hands off each other [just like mom and dad *roll eye* says Ellie]. Something like that.

So, next part is when exactly?
Carol

#50288 03/11/08 06:57 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks Em for your comments. I also see Ellie as having some of Lois' characteristics, but unlike Lois, she has the benifit of growing up in a warm, loving environment, so the emotional scars that Lois sported aren't there. And of course Ellie has her own set of scars.

And anyone who wants to is welcome to write some nfic for the end of Honesty. Although I don't frequent those boards, I may have to ask the author for a copy so I can see what it's like. wink

Carol, I agree with you that I need some more concrete description of Kaylie and Jon's relationship. It's one of those cases where I as tha author know exactly what's happening, but somewhere along the road, I forgot to tell the readers. We'll see what comes up in the next few parts.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard