Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#50206 03/05/08 06:36 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ten to one it's Clarkie boy in her flat. As usual, it's fockin' brill. dance

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#50207 03/05/08 06:46 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I too hope it's Clark who super-cleaned her apartment and is now in her shower!...

looks like Lois is already connecting the dots... now all she needs is to join forces with Clark. wink

All the politics and subterfuge is boggling.. wow!

And.. thanks for posting tonight!! thumbsup thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#50208 03/05/08 07:00 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Must be Clark in her shower! Serves Lois right for splattering him with mud! smile1

#50209 03/05/08 08:01 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
First: YAYYYYY!!!! party

Great part! So I see that they're going with the "crazed religious cult" theory. I hadn't even though of that as an "explanation" and it makes a lot of sense, except it still doesn't explain where the plane itself comes from. It could explain all the magazines and other "props". It wouldn't explain deeper things like Marcus was thinking about: masks on microchips and so forth. But they might not think to even look at that. The one place the explanation falls down is that even a religious cult would not go to the lengths to pull something like this off at the necessary level of detail.

However, no one, including Lois, is even entertaining for a moment the idea that any of it could be real. I guess Clark is going to have to demonstrate that the hard way. How convenient that he seems to have come back into Lois' life (and her apartment). laugh

“If she cooperates first,” Agent White said. “I wouldn’t wait too long. We’re working on all the others.”
...and Lois and Clark don't have much time. In a planefull of people, there is sure to be someone who would "confess" if they think it could get them somewhere. And if the government starts using "enhanced interrogation techniques," anyone would "confess" in order to get them to stop.

It just occurred to me: if Lois thinks this is a crazed cult, then surely the person calling himself "Clark Kent" must be the leader!

#50210 03/05/08 11:44 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Another amazing part!!! But please, Shayne, why are they so short??? The cliffhangers are killing me!!!

[Linked Image]

“If I can get her to turn State's evidence against the others, could she get a deal?”

“If she cooperates first,” Agent White said. “I wouldn't wait too long. We're working on all the others.”
Debbie said it perfectly: one or other of the other passengers will break and start "confessing" in order to save their own skin. And it's off with Lucy to Guantanamo, or worse.

“Conspiracy?” Lois asked, dreading what he was going to say next.

“Every person on that plane is telling the same cockamamie story,” Agent White shook his head grimly. “Try to sell a jury on the idea that one hundred and ninety five people are all crazy, sharing the same delusion. They'll throw her ass in jail so fast your head will spin.”
Of course... but it is shocking to read it all the same, and it is shockingly well written.

“Hoping to find an excuse to ship her off to Guantanomo?”

For the first time Agent White's face showed a sign of irritation. “I didn't have to tell you anything. As it is, I've pulled as many strings as I could because I thought you deserve to know.”

“Because you thought I might be able to get Lucy to talk,” Lois said.

“She didn't recognize me,” he said. “Not even after I talked with her.”
Lucy didn't recognize Agent White? Had they been seeing each other before she was killed?

“Have you thought that this might be some kind of Superman cult?”

“They don't believe in Superman.”

“They believe in Gotham and Batman. What if they are waiting for a Superman as a sort of messiah?”

“Like a Heaven's Gate sort of thing…poisoned Cool Aid and the Hale Bop Comet?”
Wowzers.

“There were kids on that plane,” Susan said. “You have to indoctrinate them pretty hard to get them to all follow the same line. Kids don't do politics much, but religion…”

“That would make Lucy pretty important,” Lois said.

“That would make you even more important.” Susan said. “Like the Virgin Mary or something. Be careful around these people. You don't know what they are capable of.”
Oh wow!!!! Lois as some sort of Virgin Mary! Or at least as the Messiah's chosen mate!!!!

What will it be like for Lois to come to Clark's reality, if indeed that ever happens? To know that she is destined to be with Clark, with Superman? To know that she is a sort of Virgin Mary?

Lois nodded and grabbed the door handle. “We're scheduled to go back there the day after tomorrow. Apparently that's when they'll have the results they need to convince them that Lucy is actually my sister and not somebody they can start water boarding right away.”
So in two days, the authorities will know that Lucy from the plane has exactly the same DNA as dead Lucy in the grave? Somehow, that suggests to me that this is about how long Clark has got if he wants to save the people from his own reality.

“Don't talk like that in front of them.” Susan said sharply. “Get on their bad side and they can make your life a living hell.”

Lois nodded shortly. “Tell that to my apartment.”
What a delightful bit of humour in the midst of all this!

As she stepped out of Susan's Lexus, Lois wondered briefly how it was that she and Susan, so similar in college in terms of determination and goals had ended up living such different lives. Susan had a career, but she'd somehow managed to balance it with a husband and a child.

Lois on the other hand looked to always live alone. She wondered sometimes if she was still going to be in the same apartment fifteen years from now, living alone with only a wall filled with trophies and awards.
I guess it's going to be like that, Lois, unless you can accompany Clark back to his own reality.

Heading inside, Lois headed for her mail slot. A service had been taking care of her mail and bills, but now that she was back the mail had resumed.

She scowled at the junk mail which she'd accumulated in only two days, then froze as she saw the familiar package.

The wallet had already come back to her. It was supposed to have gone to her P.O. Box, the one she kept for sources and other confidential business.

“Insufficient postage.” Lois grimaced. She'd used old stamps and the prices had gone up again.
Yes!! She's got it back!!

The door to the elevator slid open and Lois headed down the hall.

She was already opening the door when she realized that something was wrong.

The lights were on, the apartment was spotless, and she could hear the sounds of her shower running.

Someone was in her apartment.

Given the day she'd just had, Lois wasn't in a mood to run.
Please let it be Clark!!!! hyper

And please come back... pretty much immediately with more, Shayne!!!

Ann

#50211 03/06/08 05:36 AM
Kerth
Kerth
If it is Clark I hope he checked for bugs.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#50212 03/06/08 05:49 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by TOC:
Please let it be Clark!!!! hyper
Well, I can imagine a lot of people who might break into Lois' apartment, but no one else who would clean it up for her. wink
And please come back... pretty much immediately with more, Shayne!!!
Yes, please! grovel

#50213 03/06/08 05:59 AM
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
I've been enjoying this very much Shayne. Sorry I haven't posted before but I was hoping to take lurking to an new high (or low). :rolleyes:
I think the story is amazing for all the reasons others have said.

But there is aspect that you have only covered with Lucy that has been niggling at me. If this is some kind of parallel universe then the others on the plane have to have dopplegangers and I wonder when the feds are going to clue in on that. It didn't take them long with Lucy, and I'm sure if they do a check, they'll find that others have living counterparts. How will they explain that? Fiendish cloning? Or will it raise their antenna?

Just wondering.

And I wouldn't mind if you posted more frequently.

Gerry

#50214 03/06/08 07:02 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Shayne, I just caught up and I'm still loving it. The gritty reality of the story is very satisfying and I'm really looking forwarding to seeing how this ends up.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#50215 03/06/08 07:06 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Shayne - fabulous as always. More soon. Now. Now would be good.
Carol

#50216 03/06/08 08:22 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very interesting chapter, Shayne. I love your a-plot (one of your best) and hate it at the same time. I think I'm just uncomfortable with how telling it is about our real world.

I'm sorry we didn't get to see the conversation with Lucy, but glad to get the recap with Agent White. I keep trying to trust in him as one of the good guys, but if there's one thing I get from your story is that no one trusts anyone and everyone is suspect in our world. How sad.

I have to say again, I really like Susan. Hope to see more of her.

Yay! for Clark in Lois' shower. Can't wait for the next part, assuming that they actually converse in the next chapter wink

Gerry said:
But there is aspect that you have only covered with Lucy that has been niggling at me. If this is some kind of parallel universe then the others on the plane have to have dopplegangers and I wonder when the feds are going to clue in on that.
I thought I remembered something from an earlier part, so I took a quick look through the TOC. Check out part 7. Lois overhears the following at the hospital:
She leaned against a door and strained to listen as the two men made their way down the hallway.

“They aren’t conscious yet,” one man was saying into the satellite phone. “We can’t even be sure that this Evans guy really is military. His paperwork was just as phony as every other passenger on the plane.”

The man stopped outside Lois’s door and she tensed.

“The fingerprints do match, but we’ve already contacted our Lieutenant Evans in Georgetown, and he’ll be meeting with us this evening. Yes…like the others.”

Was that the reason everyone had been arrested? Every single person on the plane had phony documentation?
I assumed that because the Feds had checked on Lt. Evans, they'd been running checks on all of the dopplegangers, including Lucy. That's why they wanted to exhume her body and check DNA. I bet the Feds found that DNA and fingerprints are exact matches to those they've identified so far, but don't know what to make of it yet.

More soon, please.
BJ

#50217 03/06/08 01:49 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The lights were on, the apartment was spotless, and she could hear the sounds of her shower running.

Someone was in her apartment.

Given the day she’d just had, Lois wasn’t in a mood to run.
My dirty mind ran wild imagining a very angry Lois assaulting a very naked Clark in the shower. blush Oh, the possibilities... drool

Please, come back with more!!! The parts are so short that I need a daily fix. laugh

Andreia smile

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#50218 03/06/08 02:23 PM
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
BJ glad you found that. Once you pointed it out, I remembered.
gerry

#50219 03/06/08 03:41 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Something else just occurred to me: is no one thinking about the fact that the plane landed with no working engines? We know one of the fighter pilots saw Clark holding the plane up.

Lois doesn't know this, but someone in the government does...

#50220 03/06/08 05:13 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I think part eleven should serve to be interesting.

If it were me with an intruder in my home, I would get out of there so darn fast that rubber would burn on the bottom of my tennis shoes. A telephone wouldn't be enough; I would want to speak to the police in person.

Somehow I think that Lois will respond differently... even if it does sound like the intruder is naked. As I said, this will probably be interesting.

Elisabeth
who is reminded of the time my dad came home to find a whole bunch of people in his house. He screamed... only to realize that he had walked into the house two doors down from ours which looked quite similar after dark, but in the daytime it was intuitively obvious that it was a different house

#50221 03/06/08 05:24 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Love the story, Shayne. I can't imagine anyone else but Clark cleaning up Lois's apartment and taking a shower to wash off the mud she splattered on him. Not sure how he knew where she lived though. Did he x-ray her purse at some point and I missed it?

Kudos to the story. Now for a little hijacking.

A number of respondents have mentioned how "real" this Lois's world feels to them, how her reality seems to correspond with "our" reality so closely. I must take issue with the dark tone of the comments. (Not the story - the dark background in the story is perfect.)

The question of individual rights versus the security of society as a whole is not a new one. The American colonies were thirteen "free and independent states" under the Articles of Confederation from 1781 until 1789 when the Constitutional government was established. These same questions were argued back and forth quite enthusiastically for many months, and the US Constitution was eventually voted on and passed by all thirteen colonies, which then allowed the United States of America to begin operation as a viable political entity. We always have had - and probably always will have - disagreements between those who champion individual rights over the "good" of society and those who believe that individual rights must be preserved - but not at the expense of the rest of the society.

I do not agree that we as a people have surrendered too much to remain safe. There have been no more instances of terrorists killing Americans within our borders since 9/11. England and Spain have suffered deadly bombings, which shows that the terrorist enemy hasn't quit. I support a solution which keeps our society safe.

And just what would you do if you were charged with the safety of over three hundred million of your fellow citizens? How would you protect the rest of us who are unable to protect ourselves? Would you try to "negotiate" with the killers or would you try to destroy them before they destroyed you? Would you go to the United Nations and beg that august body to intervene and solve the problem? They've done so well in Somalia and Darfur and Bosnia, why not let them take care of Iraq and Afghanistan?

Remember that Saddam Hussein killed an average of seventeen thousand of his own citizens each year over a thirty-year period. He ordered the poison gas attacks on the Kurds and forcibly imposed his own version of Islam on his country. There was no freedom of the press, no right to habeus corpus, no legal remedy for his murder squads. And no one was allowed to express dissent.

And let's not forget the terrible treatment of women in Afghanistan under the Taliban. They were less than second-class citizens then - they weren't really even citizens. They were chattel, bought and sold and controlled from cradle to grave and forcibly dedicated to the service of their men.

I don't like the waterboarding at Gitmo. I don't like the way some prisoners were treated at Abu Ghriab. But before you come down too hard on these practices, remember that under Saddam or the Taliban or even in Saudi Arabia today, we wouldn't be allowed to even talk about such things. Those who condemn the US for allowing such atrocities (if that's the correct word) conveniently forget that there were legal repercussions for those involved at Abu Ghriab. They didn't get away with it. And few, if any, other societies would allow a public critique of the interrogation techniques used in Guantanamo Bay. You sure don't see such discussion in Iran about what that country does to people. How many Iranians published anything which disagreed with their government's handling of those British boats and their crews last fall? If any Iranians did publish anything negative, it wasn't printed in Iran. You want to protest totalitarian societies, why don't you start there?

(/end hijack)

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#50222 03/06/08 05:48 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Although politics are a hot subject, I'm not sure that everyone means that the security measures in place are always a bad thing. (Some may disagree on certain issues, of course.)

I think most people are bemoaning the NEED for these things, because what we sacrifice in the interest of safety and security IS a sacrifice. We lost our innocence as a nation and we've entered darker times.

Some things that are done may be looked back on by history with shame, just as we now look that way on the internment of innocent Japanese Americans during World War II. Other things may be with us for now on, and those may be freedoms that are lost forever.

Some things in hindsight might be seen as absolute necessities.

But even if the government is totally right in everything it does, it doesn't change the fact that we now live in a time where suspicion and paranoia are necessary, where freedoms are curtailed, and where the innocence of even fifteen years ago seems like a brighter time.

It's a darker world.

On the brighter side, thanks everyone for all the feedback. Some of the suggestions you have given I have already been planning for quite a while. Others hadn't even occurred to me.

Thanks again!

#50223 03/07/08 03:50 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Right on, Shayne!
I think most people are bemoaning the NEED for these things, because what we sacrifice in the interest of safety and security IS a sacrifice. We lost our innocence as a nation and we've entered darker times.
It is a changed world since 9-11.
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#50224 03/07/08 05:01 AM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
But even if the government is totally right in everything it does, it doesn't change the fact that we now live in a time where suspicion and paranoia are necessary, where freedoms are curtailed, and where the innocence of even fifteen years ago seems like a brighter time.
I think that was the point of my comments. I have my opinions about the things the US government has or has not done over the past 7 years, but what I'm really saying is that Shayne's story exemplifies some of the more bitter results. It's sad to me that my son isn't growing up in a world as kind as the one I grew up in. Although I want him to be able to trust in the goodness of other people, our decisions and situations require us to be suspicious and fearful of others. mecry

Shayne has shown that Lois has followed all of the rules, shown courage and bravery in the face of personal danger and yet, she's a suspect of terrorism through her relation to someone being held as a possible 'enemy combatant.' Susan's warnings are very real - Lois shouldn't do or say anything to piss off the feds, otherwise all the good will earned in the past isn't worth squat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard