Print Thread
#50151 03/01/08 07:28 AM
R
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
R
Villain

“Let’s make sure I understand you. You are an envoy of Lord Nor, a noble of New Krypton who is busy consolidating his power there and to do this he must first defeat a lord Kal-El, who we on Earth know as Superman. He would like me to assist in this because I am a well-known foe of Superman and because this would make lord Nor disposed to appreciate me, feel gratitude and offer me compensation. That compensation to include being able to rule a substantial portion of Earth after lord Nor conquers it. The alternative would be his future enmity. And you, personally, believe I would entertain this request because I am considered a villain on Earth. Is that correct, Hoth?”

Hoth nodded. It was, after all, a good offer and the alternative was foolish.

I gripped the armrests of my chair and drew myself up a little taller. I said, “The answer, Hoth, is-“ and I pressed the button under the padding of my chair. Three lead lined ports popped open revealing three glowing chunks of Kryptonite.

Hoth gasped and staggered. He looked for an exit.

I’d had the system installed in case the inevitable confrontations with Superman happened in my office; I was rather pleased to have an opportunity to test it. I rather suspected that even as trusting Superman appeared, he would have stood so he had a clear line of escape if needed. Hoth wasn’t as prudent. He stumbled and fell to the floor.

“On earth we call what you made ‘the offer that can’t be refused.’ No one offers Lex Luther the offer that can’t be refused. But more to the point, Hoth,...”

“I may be a villain, but I am an EARTH villain.”

#50152 03/01/08 07:31 AM
R
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
R
I wrote this as microfiction, which meant it had to come in under 300 words.

That has the interesting effect of making me consider every word and tighten it so there are no wasted words. It actually seems to make the writing more energetic.

I did consider having Lex say he wanted to defeat Superman on his own, but I thought that distracted from the main point, and I didn't have the words if I wanted this to count as microfiction.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard