Next Thread
Print Thread
#50136 02/29/08 10:48 AM
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
Oh my heavens, that's hilarious! He's such a nice guy he can't turn down a marriage proposal from a stranger.

Elisabeth
BTW, your title reminded me of some kind of a movie about a serial killer. Boy was I relieved when I remembered the date.

#50137 02/29/08 12:38 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Marvelous. Especially loved that you set it after Superman's already married! smile thumbsup

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#50138 02/29/08 01:01 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Alisha

That was wonderful!!! I'll even forgive you for not sending it to be beta'd smile . I too love that it was after Superman was married. I wondered but wasn't sure until you actually said it.

Is that really an old law somewhere? It sounds just kooky enough to be true smile .

Thank you for a wonderful piece of waff smile . I'll have to read it again later to enjoy it properly!

Carol [who read it even though she still has a page or so to write and therefore didn't enjoy it as much as she should have]

#50139 03/01/08 07:08 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Very nice, Alisha. I liked the part where Superman just sauntered in to talk to Lois because she wasn't in immediate danger and was halfway out of the ropes anyway. And I think the ending was perfect!

"Lo-is, you got some 'splainin' to do!"

"Clarkie, it wasn't my fault! Honest!"

(As long as he doesn't call her Miss Goodbottom.)

I don't think anything any of us could write would be better than just leaving it like that. Excellent all the way through.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#50140 03/01/08 08:45 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I heard something about an old law in Scotland making it sort of mandatory for a man to accept a proposal from any woman who might propose to him on February 29, although I'm not willing to swear that such a law has truly ever existed! wink

What a sweet, funny story! Although sometimes I'm so slow on the uptake that I can hardly believe it myself, so I just have to ask - Lois had arranged her own "emergency situation" herself, hadn't she, just so that she could call for Superman and propose to him? Or rather, to remind him that it was too late to accept proposals from other women?

It was an adorable story, in any case! clap And so appropriate for February 29!

Ann

#50141 03/01/08 08:54 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Oh, this was so great!!!!!!!!

I think my favorites lines were :

"What!!" Lois exploded, her flirtatious manner vanishing in an instant. "You said 'yes' to *28* women!"
rotflol

and
"She was *that* desperate to marry you, huh?"
but really the whole story was wonderful!

-Camy

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
#50142 03/01/08 11:11 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I loved this story Alisha! It was so cute and sweet. The conversation between Clark and Lois was perfect!

I'm very glad you didn't wait another four years to post this. laugh

#50143 03/01/08 12:26 PM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Yay, people liked it! clap Thank you all for leaving me nice feedback!

To be honest, I 'um'ed and 'ah'ed over whether to set it pre or post revelation, but I thought Lois' reaction to the other proposals would be better if she was married to Clark. However, I didn't want to make it obvious straight away wink

The law is real, apparently, although I don't know if it's still enforced! laugh That little gem was mentioned on the radio after I got the idea for the story. I did search for it online to check, and apparently if a man did say 'no', he was fined. If I remember correctly the fine ranged from a kiss to buying her a purple dress.

Lois didn't manufacture her emergency. In my head the last line continued into something like; "remember that story we were working on? Well at dinner I saw the person and decided to follow them" etc, but continuing that would have meant me coming up with an a-plot!

And I doubt that Clark really agreed to marry those women, although he probably did give them a kiss on the cheek instead wink

#50144 03/03/08 12:38 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lovely, Alisha. What a nice, WaFFy story.
Lois didn't manufacture her emergency. In my head the last line continued into something like; "remember that story we were working on?
See, now I was thinking that she used a story as an excuse to get out of a dinner with Ellen Lane.

BJ

#50145 03/03/08 03:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That's adorable, Alisha! Thanks so much for sharing. I hadn't picked up on them being married, btw, but the surprise worked as I'm sitting here thinking, "hey, wait a minute..."

I also liked the 29 proposals (28 plus the first one) to go with Feb. 29th. And the title, of course.

Favorite lines:

Besides, there's an old Scottish law that made it illegal for a man to turn down a proposal made on February 29."

"Yes, but there's a current law that makes it illegal for a man to have two wives, let alone 28."
Very cute. thumbsup

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#50146 03/03/08 04:26 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I love this. Very cute.

Here's how I picture those scheming ladies:

[Linked Image]

Desiree

Don't think about the pink elephant... I dare you!

Thanks to Tineke for the avatar
#50147 03/04/08 03:15 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Very cute. I guess I am slow on the uptake also. I didn't get the ending line either. I thought she did it to fill some Superman fantasy to celebrate the leap year. laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#50148 03/05/08 09:12 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Wow, even more feedback! Thank you.

If it makes anyone feel better, feel free to consider the whole situation a set-up rather than an actual (if not very life-threatening) capture. It doesn't matter if that's how it comes across, it was half-way to being so anyway, just so long as you enjoyed reading it. laugh

#50149 03/05/08 03:00 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
wow everyone has said this story was either cute, adorable or sweet. love Yet I can't think of any other adjectives to describe this.

It was a very cheesy smile inducing story. I loved the twist. laugh I enjoy unpredictability in stories and you did that very well.

Haha, Clarkie still can't watch his sports on tv! Its a conspiracy amongst all women to entice their husbands away from watching sports devil

Cheers
Em

Lois: Clark, you don't have to be embarrassed. That's what friends are for. Just tell me how much.
Clark: Lois, I want you to go out with me!
#50150 03/08/08 07:20 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Thanks for your feedback, Em. Repeated adjectives are just as valid as original ones! laugh

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard