This is really all of the story I've written up but I've found that I do better when I have people expecting more in the near future <g>. While I'm working on the plot for the sequel to The Hottest Team in Town, I thought I'd come up with another Home story. Don't expect it to be quick -- I've got some healing to do still, but I wanted to see what people thought of this idea.

Disclaimer: The recognizable characters and settings in this story are the property of D.C. Comics, Warner Bros., December 3rd Productions, and anyone else with a legal right to them. I have no claim on them whatsoever, nor am I profiting by their use, but any of the new characters and situations are mine, and the story belongs to me.

Home: Murder by Earthlight
By Nan Smith

"She goes to bed at eight," Lori said. "We read her three bedtime stories out of her baby books and she has to have Harold with her."

"All right." Lara Kent accepted the large, fuzzy pink frog with a nod and held it up for the eleven month old girl perched in her other arm. Mary Lucille instantly grasped the toy and squeezed vigorously, simultaneously stuffing the creature's right hind foot into her mouth.

She was a beautiful baby, Lara thought, regarding her tiny half-sister approvingly. The dark curls that she had been born with had grown longer and darker and now floated in soft, ebony waves around her cherubic face. Her lovely almond-shaped eyes had turned very dark, like her mother's, darker than her father's golden brown eyes, and she had the smooth, olive complexion bequeathed to her by Clark. The child was going to be a beauty, and was certainly the apple of her daddy's eye. Of course, Clark had always been a sucker for little kids.

"I guess she'll be all right," Lori said. "You certainly have taken care of kids."

"Something like that," Lara said with a cheerful grin. She hesitated. "Besides, she'll get me back into practice."

Both Lori and Clark did a double take at that, and then Clark's face broke into a wide smile. "You mean, you're --"

Lara nodded, aware that she was blushing, which she normally didn't do. "As old as we are, Bill and I are going to be parents again. Ronnie just got the results back. It's a boy and he's carrying the telepathic trait. Ronnie's finally going to have a brother."

Clark reached out to hug his oldest daughter. "Congratulations, honey. I'm happy for both of you."

"Well, Bill's a little shell-shocked," Lara said, "but in a good way."

"I'll bet," Lori said. "This is wonderful! Have you picked a name?"

"We decided to name him after Bill's grandfather," Lara said. "Robert Bernard Klein."

"Thank heavens," Clark said. "I was afraid we were going to have to start calling the Clarks A, B, C and so forth. This is great!" He glanced at his wrist talker. "But we need to go or we're going to miss the shuttle."

"And that wouldn't be good," Lara agreed. "Superman might be able to make it to the Moon without a problem, but how would you explain Clark and Lori getting there before the shuttle did?"

"We're not going to have to find out," Clark said firmly. "We'll see you in a few days."

Luna Shuttle Flight 287 was right on time and Lori and Clark arrived just under the wire. They passed through the security scanners and followed the crowd to the boarding gate for economy class passengers.

Unlike the ships of the Twentieth Century that would roar into space on the exhaust of flaming rockets and then establish a pre-plotted trajectory that would allow them to coast over a period of several days to rendezvous with Earth's large satellite, the Luna Shuttle employed the principles of the space drive, the prototype of which had emerged from STAR Labs in 2015. The Luna Shuttle lifted off on the wings of the anti-gravity field that had been one of Bernard Klein's contributions to human science in the first decade of the 21st Century. Once out of the Earth's atmosphere, the space drive cut in and accelerated the ship toward the Moon. Depending on the position of the Moon in its orbit around the Earth, the trip could take anywhere from fifteen to forty-five minutes. Clark smiled to himself as he and Lori took their seats, thinking of his first flight into space when he had debuted as Superman. He had boosted the Messenger II into space, bearing the last section of Space Station Prometheus, constructed under the aegis of the Congress of Nations. It had been the final chance for the success of the space station program and had scuttled Lex Luthor's attempt to put his own station into orbit, and with it who-knew-what kinds of schemes the billionaire had cooking in his head. That it had been for the ultimate good of Humanity, Clark strongly doubted. The thought had occurred to him more than once that if Luthor had managed to put some kind of weapons delivery system onto such a satellite, the Earth might have found itself under the control of a new emperor. The extent of Lex Luthor's megalomania had been terrifying. Even now, over a century later, the memory was enough to send chills up his spine.

But that was long past. Luna City was only one of four large lunar cities where human beings had established themselves. Luna Spaceport was the launching spot for the trading ships that made regular trips to and from Mars, as well as the scattered mining posts in the asteroid belt. It had been from Luna Spaceport that the Mayflower colonists began the last leg of their journey to the big colony ship orbiting the Moon before it embarked for the star system of Alpha Centauri to found the first colony outside the Solar System.

Luna Shuttle Flight 287 touched down at Luna Spaceport thirty-two minutes after it had left Metropolis and the passengers waited until they heard the metallic clang that told them that the flexible tube extending from the gate had clamped onto the shuttle's airlock. A moment later there was the hiss of compressed air as the inner door opened. Lori made a face. "My ears just popped," she said.

Clark nodded. "The air pressure in the cities is equivalent to about 8000 feet on Earth," he said. "Kind of like being up in the mountains. They'll be letting us off in a couple of minutes. Then we'll have the rest of the afternoon and evening to see the sights before dinnertime."

"Do you suppose any of the others are here yet?" Lori asked.

"Probably," Clark said. "We can go check in and see if we see anybody we know while we're at the hotel."

Lori giggled. "At least this time nobody will say anything when we check into a room together," she said.

"True," Clark agreed. "Even Vane won't be able to gossip -- not that he won't try. The last one of these we went to wasn't your usual International Conference of Investigative Journalists, though. Let's hope we don't have any murders this time around."

"You and me both. I have other plans for my leisure time at this conference," Lori said. "I hope this is a normal, slightly boring convention. At least," she added, "I don't have any expensive stolen jewelry in my bag this time."

"Hey, it won us a Kerth," Clark pointed out. "Don't complain when Lady Luck smiles on you. She usually seems to have it in for us."

"Better knock on wood when you say that," Lori said.

Clark grinned and lightly knocked a knuckle against one of the cherry wood rings that fastened the shoulder strap to her bag. "I can't help wondering if John didn't send us in the hope that we'd scare up another big story, though."

"If I have any say about it, he's going to be disappointed," Lori said.

Abruptly the gravity field that had encased the passenger compartment where they sat began to fade away, and in seconds he felt very light. The soft voice of the shuttle's computer announced that they could unfasten their safety belts and disembark.

Lori stood up and gasped slightly as the motion sent her several inches into the air. She grasped Clark's arm. "Mind if I hold onto you until I get my Moon legs?"

He put an arm around her. "Any excuse I can use to snuggle you is all right with me," he told her. Around them people were getting to their feet and it was obvious which were experienced Moon travelers and which were not. The newbies moved too quickly and paid for their Earth-reflexes with small hops and lurches into the air, and ended up grasping at handholds on the backs of the seats in order to keep their balance as they made their way down the aisle toward the exit. Clark watched his wife approvingly as she observed the motions of the more experienced travelers and made an obvious attempt to emulate their movements. "Good," he told her. "You'll get the hang of it pretty fast. Remember, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Just don't make any sudden movements and you'll do fine."

She nodded, obviously concentrating on keeping her movements smooth and careful. After a moment she sat down again. "Let's let the mob go past first," she suggested. "I don't feel like fighting my way through that."

Clark grinned. "Good idea."

They waited as the crowd passed. When it had thinned considerably, Clark rose, stepped into the aisle and held out a hand for Lori. Together, they made their way toward the exit. Lori gripped the backs of seats and Clark realized that she was concentrating on her motions as she tried to learn to adapt to the change in gravity. It brought a wave of memory. For their fiftieth anniversary he had taken Lois to the new Lunar resort and he had watched her do exactly what Lori was doing now. At last they made it to the exit and stepped into the tube that allowed them to cross the airless landing field and enter the Luna City Shuttle Terminal.

An hour later, after having reclaimed their baggage and passed through the security and health scanners, Lori and Clark stepped out of the terminal and onto the slidewalk that carried shuttle passengers into Luna City. They walked along the moving surface that trundled steadily forward at four miles an hour, into the fabled domed city, Lori gripping Clark's arm somewhat more firmly than was her usual habit, and Clark looked around, recalling the last time he had been here.

Things had changed somewhat. Luna City had grown in thirty years but it was still the greenest city he had ever seen. Plants of all kinds grew everywhere. The surface dwellings were covered in vines and climbing plants and around each one flowers, decorative plants and bushes grew in riotous abundance. Trees and shrubbery lined the slidewalks and emerald lawns covered huge expanses. Gardens, growing every sort of fruit, vegetable and decorative plant imaginable, were situated on all sides.

The surface homes were built, he knew, as an outer structure each surrounding a central patio, each with its own garden, and that was the heart of each home, giving privacy to each family even in the crowded living space of the domed city.

No air vehicles were visible anywhere except those of the Luna City Police but there were ground cars here and there, usually designed for one and two persons. Bicycles with wide heavy tires appeared to be a favorite mode of transportation, but the most popular seemed to be foot traffic. People swarmed the slidewalks or strolled on the stationary walks and across the green, spreading lawns that carpeted most of the open areas. Above them, the enormous geodesic dome arched across the city, the polarized panels regulating the amount of sunlight that reached the surface. On the great supporting structures huge lights, now unlit, would come on when the city was turned away from the sun, depriving it of sunlight. Beneath them, far below the surface, he knew, were passages and living quarters as well, for the colonists had burrowed deep beneath the surface of Earth's barren satellite to establish their city. Clark could feel the faint vibration and rhythmic throb of the giant air pumps like an enormous heart, far underground, that circulated the air to every part of Luna City.

Lori was trying to look in every direction at once. "What happens if a meteorite hits the dome?" she asked suddenly.

It figured that his practical wife would think to ask that. "The dome has an outer force field to protect it from most space debris," he told her. "It repels mostly everything. If something bigger does manage to get through -- and that's only happened twice in the history of the city -- there's another field that comes on to protect the area of the hole and prevent air from escaping until the repair work can be done."

"Oh," Lori said. "Good."

"We leave the slidewalk here," he told her. "The Luna Hilton is right through that little park. Think you can walk on a regular path without bouncing?"

Lori grinned. "I'll just keep hanging onto you until I can."

"Good idea." He stepped off the main slidewalk onto the slower border, which made it possible for persons to board and exit the walk without abrupt changes in speed, and then helped Lori onto the firm surface of a narrow, pebble-lined path. "Right through here."

Of course the actual hotel wasn't visible. The tiny building with the sign that announced the Luna Hilton was simply the surface entrance. Lori and Clark entered through the double doors and stepped onto a platform that lowered them with smooth speed to the first floor -- that being the first floor *down*. The entire hotel was situated beneath the lunar surface. The platform slowed to a stop even with the floor, beside a discreet sign that informed them that this was the hotel lobby. Clark glanced around, taking in everything and everyone present, as they crossed to the desk opposite the elevator where a young man monitored a board of tiny pinpoint lights. He glanced around as they stopped by the desk and Lori rested her arms on its surface. "May I help you?"

"We're with the journalists' convention," Clark told him. "Kent and Lyons, from the Daily Planet."

"Ah yes, Mr. Kent." The desk clerk was probably about nineteen, tall and gawky with a flaming carrot top of hair. "Your bags are already here." He glanced at Lori and smiled. "I've seen your articles," he added. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Just thumbprint the screen there and you're all set," he added, holding out a pad for Clark to comply. "Here are your keys," he continued, handing over two thin pieces of plastic. "I hope you enjoy your stay here in Luna City."

"Thank you," Clark said. He looked down at Lori. "Shall we go freshen up before we take in the sights?"

She nodded. "I'd like a chance to see a little of the city before the conference starts."

The clerk handed them an envelope. "This will tell you what's available," he said. "We have something for everyone. There's a total eclipse coming up in a couple of days. It'll be pretty spectacular from outside the city."

"That should be worth watching," Clark said.

"You'll be able to sign up for the tour group here, if you want," the clerk said. "And maybe you should take her to Heinlein's Cave."

"Heinlein's Cave?" Lori asked, looking up at her husband. "Isn't that --"

"That's the cave where they fly," Clark said. "Named after a Twentieth Century science fiction author who came up with the idea."

Lori nodded excitedly. "Andrea was talking about it," she said. "I definitely want to go there before we have to head back. You know how I love to fly."

"That's for sure," Clark said. He grinned at the clerk. "You just created a monster," he told the man. "I may never get back to Earth again."

The man snorted. "Enjoy yourselves," he said. "It's the closest you'll ever come to flying like Eclipse."

"Eclipse is your superman, isn't he?" Lori asked.

"That's right," the clerk said. "He doesn't get the publicity like Superman and some of the others, since he's here on the Moon, but we appreciate him."

"I imagine so," Lori said. She smiled at Clark. "Let's go. I want to see the city."

"The boss has spoken," Clark told the other man. "Okay, honey, I just want to change my clothes --"

They were not, however, destined to leave the hotel as quickly as Lori would have liked. It was a strange system, she thought, counting floors *down* rather than up, however, given the living situation on the Moon, it made sense. They stepped off the elevator platform on the fifth floor a few minutes later and as they did so a voice hailed them.

"Clark Kent, as I live and breathe," a male voice with a strong Aussie accent said clearly. "I haven't seen you since Budapest."

Lori turned to find herself looking up at a tall, freckled strawberry blond man with a wide grin on his face. He looked vaguely familiar, although she was sure she'd never met him before.

Clark solved the puzzle, however. "Hey, Pete," he said. "I wondered if you'd be here this time. Lori, this is Pete Swanson, from the Queenstown Courier."

Instantly Lori recognized the name. This was the Pete Swanson that had nearly been killed during the convention in Alta Mesa the year that she and Clark had met. She had never met him face to face but she had seen his picture when she had downloaded it from the Queenstown Courier's archives. "Pleased to meet you," she said.

"I know who you are," Pete said. "Probably everybody at this conference will. You're Lyons."

"That's right," Clark said. "She's also my wife, so don't get any ideas."

"Wouldn't think of it," Pete said, looking appreciatively at Lori. "I heard from someone that you finally got married, you lucky dog. How long does your contract have to run?"

"Indefinitely," Clark said firmly. "It's lifetime. Watch out for this guy, honey. He's one of those ladies men you hear about. Dads lock up their daughters when he walks into town."

Lori laughed, thinking that she'd never seen a man match the description less, but, of course, appearances were often deceiving. Pete also laughed. "Anyway, it's nice to meet you, Ms. Lyons."

"Likewise," Lori said.

"So, got any plans this evening?" Pete inquired.

"Clark is going to show me around Luna City," Lori said. "He's been here before but I haven't. I want to make the most of the opportunity."

"Good idea," Pete said. "Maybe you guys could join me at dinner. I'd like to catch up -- and," he added, with a grin at Clark, "further my acquaintance with your charming wife."

Lori felt her face growing warm and Clark raised an eyebrow at him. "We'll be back around six," he said.

"Great," Pete told him. "See you then." He hopped onto the platform they had just vacated.

Lori and Clark headed toward their room: 504, according to their room key. It was at the very end of the corridor and, Lori discovered, had an actual window that provided a view of an enormous lighted cavern where, far below, plants grew lushly under the brilliant artificial light and the stalactites on the roof and the very walls themselves glittered with myriad colors, like a million gemstones lining every surface.

"This is beautiful!" she said.

Clark came to stand beside her. "It is, isn't it? This is one of the Rainbow Caverns. There's a whole series of them. It's just quartz, you know, but it reflects the floodlights and acts like a prism."

"I don't care," Lori said. "Whoever came up with using it for a scenic view was a genius!"

"Actually, that was CJ's idea," Clark said innocently. "He met Rachel here, while Luna City was in its early stages. Rachel's a mining engineer, or was, before she retired. CJ, of course, was the xeno-environmental architect. When they designed the living quarters for the construction workers, they found the cavern. Later on, the Luna Company took over their old living quarters, renovated it and turned it into the hotel."

"You know," Lori said, "I've learned more about the way history really was from you than I ever learned in school. You make it come alive." She paused. "By the way, which one is Eclipse? I know he lives here on the Moon but have I ever met him?"

"Sure," Clark said. "Jonas's brother, Zebadiah. You met him at the picnic, back in July."

"I remember," Lori said. "Zeb. The good-looking guy with the weird sense of humor. I guess he doesn't have any difficulty getting back and forth from Earth to the Moon."

"Nope," Clark said. "Go ahead and change. I thought we'd drop in at the Crater Café for lunch and then we can take in all the sights."

"Is there any way to see the Rainbow Caverns up close?" she asked, starting to peel off her business suit. "Tour groups or something?"

"As a matter of fact there is," Clark said. "There won't be time before the conference but I'm sure we can find some time to see them before we head home."

"Good!" Lori said. "I definitely want to make time for that in our schedule."

"You look like you're getting the hang of walking in low gravity," Clark said.

"I am. It's not too hard -- especially when I have your example in front of me," Lori said. "And if I start to lose my balance I can always grab onto you."

"You can grab onto me any time you like," Clark said.

She smiled, but looked speculatively at him. "Is this how it is for you all the time?" she asked suddenly, startling him. Most people didn't make that correlation.

"A little," he said. "It happened to me gradually, though, so I had plenty of time to adapt."

"I guess. It must be hard, though, controlling everything you do, every second."

"It isn't bad," Clark said. "I had my chance to live on a world where I was like everyone else and didn't have to watch every move I made. I gave it up without a second thought and never regretted it. My heart was here -- or on Earth, anyway -- and it still is."

"Lois," Lori said. "She was your heart."

"And now you are."

"If I hadn't met her, I might not understand," Lori said, "but I think I do. Sometimes I still dream I'm her, you know. Some of the things you did together, even some of your fights." She looked down at the ring on her left hand. "I dreamed a few nights ago that I was talking to Jimmy Olsen -- I asked him if he won the pool that was going on about CJ's birth. He told me he did."

Clark frowned, thinking back. "He did," he said. "He was right, exactly to the minute."

"I wondered if he followed my tip," Lori said. "I told him, you know. He took those pictures of Lois, Perry and me. It was my way of thanking him."

"And you made history come true." He put a hand on top of hers. "Do you still have déjà vu?"

Lori nodded. "Yeah, but now I know why. It isn't scary anymore. I know it's just Lois, or the part of me that's her, remembering."

"And that isn't scary?"

She shook her head. "I suppose it might be if I hadn't gotten to know her but I did. That's the thing. I saw part of me in her, and that made it real." She looked at him, a trace of speculation in her gaze. "You know, I wonder who they are in this time."

"Who?"

"The ones you knew in the Twentieth Century. I wonder which one is Perry White and which one is Jimmy Olsen. Or Bernard Klein."

Clark smiled, shaking his head. "The one who could tell you would be HG Wells. I saw him the night Mary was born, you know. He stopped to see her and to congratulate us."

"And he didn't come by to see me?" Lori looked slightly offended. "Well, if you ever see him again, tell him I want to meet him. That shouldn't be such a big deal."

"Yes ma'am," Clark told her, smiling. He went to the window to look out at the Rainbow Cavern. "Let's hurry a little, shall we? Dinner is in about four hours."

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.