Print Thread
#49950 02/23/08 07:22 PM
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
Quite delightful. Very well done.
Okay, I promise, no more writing of random things until I finish Ten Years in the Making.
Please take many side trips, don't let the other story get in the way.

Framework4
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ok, so it's Sunday, 8 a.m. and I'm already crying. Wonderful story *sniff*

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by lcfan4ever:
Ok, so it's Sunday, 8 a.m. and I'm already crying. Wonderful story *sniff*
Ditto!

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I like all yours first person POV, especially Kyle! I hate their teacher for expecting they’d be “excellent writters”, surely you can’t compare children essays with the work of prize winning reporters! It’s stupid...

Nice work!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Beautiful story, but now I'm all depressed. frown

Columnist
Columnist
And this comes from the person who says she doesn't like writing about death?

This was wonderful to read. I only wish I could have "distractions" that are as good as this.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go finish crying...

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm trying not to get spoilers from everyone else's comments, as I'm still reading.

It seems odd that they would both allow two years to go by without packing things up. In two years time, a lot of dust would settle. Food would go bad and drugs, herbs and toiletries would expire.

The scents in the closet would probably not last that long either. My daughter emptied a quarter ounce of very expensive perfume many years ago. The scent was very strong for several weeks. It was apparent for a few months, but it didn't last for two years--even though it was in a dark room without a lot of air circulation and where the sunlight wouldn't cause it to prematurely break down.

I think it's highly unfair that the kids were downgraded based on their parents' profession. If Lois had known, she would have put a stop to it. Children have their own strengths and weaknesses that may be entirely different from anyone else in the family.

Of course, that isn't what this story is about. It's about getting stuck in the grieving process. James and I made the decision this year that we wouldn't get stuck. It was a hard thing to decide, but it had to be done. It's hard enough on the kids if one parent is depressed. When two are depressed, things kind of fall apart.

We're doing better now, but we had to start with the little things--eating right, exercising and getting enough sleep. (The sleep is the hardest part.) It's took about four months, but we're back on our feet now.

However, it's different when you lose both parents at the same time. We're not the ones packing things up. That's Dad's job.

Anyway, I'm glad you wrote this.

Elisabeth

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thank you all so much for the kind comments! I wrote this really quickly – intending to set it aside and come back to it later, but then I kept having ideas for it. But when I write things quickly, I then agonize over whether they are any good or not more than when I've spent a long time thinking about them in the writing. So, it's very reassuring to read your comments.

And I'm sorry – I should have warned you all that it was going to be sad.

Blogger and Elisabeth – I think it is unfair to assume that Jessi and Kyle would be great writers just as their parents are, but I don't think it's unusual. I know that the rare times my younger brother had teachers I had had, they all expressed surprise at the differences in our strengths and he occasionally had teachers make snide comments to him about his “deficiencies” (I was a bit of a geek and my brother was not someone who really liked being a student.)

Beth – I know, right after I posted this I remembered telling you how much I hated writing about death and how I had trouble killing off a character in another story, so found away not to do it. I'm not sure why it wasn't that difficult this time. I think it was as in my head, this was a story about the farm, not Martha and Jonathan. Their death was a plot device. I know, the distinction is stupid, but I can't explain any better than that.

Elisabeth- I am really sorry to hear about your loss. I lost both my grandmothers two years ago and while I know it's nothing like losing a parent, I was incredibly close to one of them (much more than I am to either of my parents). I drew on my feelings from that a lot in the writing of this story.

It seems odd that they would both allow two years to go by without packing things up. In two years time, a lot of dust would settle. Food would go bad and drugs, herbs and toiletries would expire.
I wasn't thinking food so much as clothes and other things that wouldn't need to be dealt with immediately. My paternal grandmother waited five years to pack up my grandfather's stuff and my maternal grandmother just never packed up her husband's things (and he passed away 10 years before her).

The scents in the closet would probably not last that long either.
I wonder if it matters what the weather is like or something? My maternal grandmother went to live with my parents right after my grandfather died. She visited her house only occasionally (maybe once a year she'd make sure everything was in order), and so it was mostly closed up. Then about five years later, I ended up living there for a few months while waiting for an apartment to be ready to move into. The master bath still had the scent of the powder she used after she showered and the closet still had the faint smell of her hand lotion.

James and I made the decision this year that we wouldn't get stuck. It was a hard thing to decide, but it had to be done.
Congratulations on having the strength to make that decision. It can't have been any easy thing to decide or to carry through on. And I'm glad to hear that things are getting easier now.

Columnist
Columnist
I just found this and I am so glad I read it. Wow what a beautiful piece of writing.

I think you got each character exactly right. I can't imagine Clark handling the death of his folks any other way.

Features Writer
Features Writer
I really enjoyed this. I think it hit just the right emotionally, and it ended powerfully. Keep up the good work and don't worry about side trips if it leads to little gems like this.

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks so much for the feedback, cp33 and ShayneT!

Emotional pieces are always a bit difficult to post as it's hard to know if you got the emotions right, so the feedback is very much appreciated!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard