OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#49785 02/16/08 04:00 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Awwww poor guy. Bet his bill has a picture of Elvis on it wink .

I'm intrigued with this, Shayne. I'm glad you had 3 posts this week. I can live with shorter parts if they're posted that often. Though longer posts that often would be good too wink .

Carol [who in this Kerth season is reminded that Shayne gave her his BNA crown and who once again is reminded that she was completely unworthy to have it after someone of such obvious talent]

#49786 02/16/08 04:42 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
So Clark is now in a world with a Superman Mythos. So he can pickup a suit and go meet Lois Lane.

I'm assuming this will be the Lois Lane from his Universe, perhaps she disappeared as a child?

At least Clark knows about libraries. I assume that will be his next stop. Review a few years of newsprint overnight and pickup a Superman suit the next day.

Perhaps he can catch the episode of L&C with Lana in it?

Oh my, can you just picture Lois lane's reaction to meeting him? If he uses Clark Kent she will be so angry.

Framework4
#49787 02/16/08 05:58 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I love this!

Of course Clark wouldn't know who Superman is; I had to slap myself over that one. I forgot he's still wrapped up in Lana-land. Answered a few questions for me as well--I was wondering where exactly Clark came from, so it's easier for me to pinpoint him in the AU we're used to since he's never heard of Lois.

Looking forward to more!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#49788 02/16/08 06:55 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
How rude! The guy saves a bunch of lives on an airplane and they shoot missiles at him! It should be great when Clark meets Lois for the first time. She's not going to believe him when he tells her his name, and she's really not going to believe his story about being from another world!

And will Clark confess that he has Superman powers to Lois? Will his funky ten-dollar bill lead Lois to him to begin with? Will he let her make that garish suit for him? And will he actually wear it? Will he eventually decide to stay in that world or will he take that plane load of people back? Will he ever make that lunch date with Lana?

And several people have suggested that Tempus is involved here, but I don't think so. Why bring Clark - who currently isn't Superman - to a world where he's going to meet Lois Lane - who may be the only person in two worlds who could convince him to become Superman - and risk eliminating all that lovely warfare and violence? If Clark becomes Superman in this world, he stands a good chance of improving the peace quotient, which Tempus would just hate!

Anyway, this is another innovative story from Shayne, whose fertile imagination is bringing us yet another wonderful adventure. I, too, want to see the next post like five minutes ago!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#49789 02/16/08 09:53 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Fantastic as usual, Shayne!

I love how you made us see the cogs in Clark's head slowly turning. This was so absolutely chilling:

He could come to only one conclusion. This wasn't his world.

If cities were disappearing, it would be all over the news. If these people made such a big deal about a plane landing, they'd be all over the disappearance of millions of people.

The only conclusion he could come to was that it wasn't the city of Metropolis that had disappeared…it was him and the plane he had carried.
Yes, Clark! That's the way it is.

This, too, was gut-chilling:

At Clark's look of incomprehension, the man leaned forward and said, “Lois Lane. You know…Lois Lane…Superman?”

Clark shrugged. “I don't follow the comics.”

His own life was fantastic enough that he had no need for fantastic tales. Also, when he'd been old enough to want comics, his foster parents hadn't wanted to spend the money.

“Four major movies, three or four television series…guy in a blue suit and a red cape? None of it ring a bell?”

Clark shook his head.

“Super strong, he flies, pretends to be a mild mannered reporter during the day, grew up in Smallville?”

Frozen, Clark said, “My parents didn't let me read comic books.”
Super strong, he flies, pretends to be a mild mannered reporter during the day, grew up in Smallville... indeed, Clark, doesn't that ring a bell?

How horrible would it be to be described like that by strangers who seem to know you, yet obviously they don't know you?

But of course, like Jenn said, Clark himself has never been Superman. He has never worn a colorful blue suit with a red-and-yellow 'S' shield and a red cape, and he has never shown his powers in public. Because Lana would never let him do such a thing, and he was married to Lana.

If he can get back, he will still be married to her. (Unless she has already had him declared dead, so that she could marry someone else.)

Oh boy, I hope he won't get back!

Unlike Patrick, I don't think that this Lois is from Clark's universe at all. I really think they are from different universes. I think they have just been drawn together by their overwhelmingly strong soulmate-ship. I very much hope so anyway!

Oh, I can't wait until Lois meets Clark! Please come back with more soon, Shayne!

Ann

#49790 02/16/08 11:23 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Clark is going to be REALLY confused by the comics, especially things like the whole Death of Superman story arc. And the whole "marriage to Lois" thing he'll find has to be fairly weird too.

He probably doesn't know about Wikipedia if he's from a few years in the past - if he goes on line he may not even know Google, assuming that either will actually exist in his universe - and the most famous news service, LNN, won't be there either. He may even get the idea that the world has gone wrong because Lex isn't there, if he doesn't know better.

Meanwhile Lois probably knows a lot about Superman and her fictional alter ego... but most of it will be wrong.

Greatly looking forward to more.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#49791 02/17/08 02:34 AM
S
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
S
Ann,

He's not married to Lana -- at least not yet.

Yet the longer he went hiding what he was, the more distant he felt from Lana. All she saw was the image of normality that she wanted to see. He felt like he was drowning, and now that she was pushing for marriage, he sometimes found himself wishing he could fly away forever and never come back.

He’d been losing bits and pieces of himself for as long as he knew her, sacrificing the things that were important to him for her sake. It was almost as though she’d been intentionally isolating him from everyone else in order to have him to herself.
And we can always hope (along with him) that the situation stays that way. Also, his parents are dead. In fact, except for returning the planeload of passengers to the other AU (not the one we all know and love, of course), he really has no reason to return.

-- Snave

#49792 02/17/08 03:27 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I was so happy Shayne put that little detail in--he's not married to Lana, but she still tries to control him as if she is. (Assuming that marriage gives a person permission to be controlling, which of course it doesn't.)

Very well done. As Ann already said, I love to see how the wheels of thought are logically turning in Clark's head. I also love to see how Lois is swinging into action, even as she makes the slow transition back to this time-zone and culture. This is obviously another of Shayne's gems.

Elisabeth

#49793 02/17/08 04:54 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
This is going to be so much fun.

This is the kind of story that all writers wish they could write, but the gentle readers are fortunate that it's in the hands of someone as talented as Shayne.

Yes, the meeting with Lois is going to be really interesting. Will she be his 'source' of information about Superman? Or will he do some independant research on his own. Either way leads to some fun scenarios.

Also, this Clark should be aware of the existance of a former reporter at the Daily Planet who was lost in the Congo before he came to the paper.

If you're going to keep the instalments short and punchy, then frequent posting is much appreciated.

As always, we look forward to anything from your keyboard.

Tank (who wonders which version of Lois Lane this world's version looks like)

#49794 02/17/08 07:54 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I'm really hoping this Lois Lane is his Lois Lane. smile1

Let there be sparks when they meet. wink

Keep it coming. More! clap More! clap More! clap

malu

#49795 02/17/08 09:01 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Tank (who wonders which version of Lois Lane this world's version looks like)
Are you asking Terry if she has long hair or short?

#49796 02/17/08 07:32 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm extremely afraid for Clark.

That's all I can say!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard