Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Haha. Can't believe you haven't gotten FDK on this yet.

Pretty well written. Charactization was spot on. I'm just wondering who the familiar crewmember was.

And, a time-traveling asteroid? Only in in the ST universe...

James.

[Just adding in the part no. to the post header - LabRat]

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Eva Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I haven't read your story yet and have to go back to studying but I at least wanted to tell you that I think it's a great idea - I really liked Voyager (Torres, Paris, the Doctor and Seven especially).

I will read this soon and then come back with feedback smile

Also congratulations for being the first to post something for the fic-a-thon!

Eva, who's afraid that she won't make the deadline

kill a cliché, save a reader
Kerth
Kerth
Is Tempus going to turn out to be Q or something? Neat idea anyway.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Welcome back, Nancy! Great to see you here again.

And you paired LnC with Star Trek: Voyager! Great idea. I liked the crew of that series a lot, better even than the first one with Kirk and Spock (because the other characters, apart from Kirk and Spock, weren't so interesting). But so many characters in ST: Voyager were really good. I like Seven. (Did you notice that her first name, before she was absorbed by the Borg, was Annika? That sounds very Swedish to me. smile )

[Linked Image]

And Captain Janeway was great too, and Chakotay was handsome, like you said, and Tuvok was so likable and long-suffering and dependable, and that hologram doctor was a great idea!

In his no-nonsense way, Tuvok responded, “Captain. We impacted with what is apparently an asteroid...”

Janeway interrupted, “An asteroid? Here? How is that possible? We aren't in a planetary system.” The last sentence was almost, but not quite, a question.
Aha!!! I like that observation. No, there aren't any asteroids out in deep space, far away from planetary systems!

“Yes, Captain. That is correct. None-the-less, this appears to be an asteroid, and sensors did not detect it prior to impact. It apparently came-” Tuvok swallowed, finding this hard to say. “-out of nowhere.” He paused. “It wasn't there. And then it was.”

Lieutenant Paris interrupted. “And Captain, that's not all. It's pulling us along with it. And its course is... is... Well, it's like its course is *purposeful*.”

“Purposeful?” Kathryn questioned.

Chakotay looked up from some computer readings he had been checking. “Not only does the asteroid apparently have a guidance system, and not only is it taking us along with it, it's also pulling us through time.”
Wowzers!!!! eek Hey, I'm thinking of of "2001: A Space Odyssey", somehow. That almost-living monolith in it reminds me of the asteroid with a purpose!

[Linked Image]

(And because I fear that that image is too good to be hotlinked, here is another one. The caption read: Holy crap, it's the monolith!)

[Linked Image]

Clark stood quietly and watched the eclipse. The eclipse that no one knew was coming.
Shocking, indeed, because there aren't any of those! I like the explanation that this asteroid literally appeared out of nowhere! (Or out of the ST: Voyager universe!)

Kathryn sighed. “It's obvious they see the asteroid. Do they see us? We don't need to make... "time' any more problematic. And we certainly don't want them to find out that aliens really exist - not at this point in history.”
And do you know what this reminds me of? That crazy cult that thought that comet Hale-Bopp (which was designed the Great Comet of 1997(!), see Wikipedia ) hid a spacecraft in its tail! The cultists thought that a super-advanced alien race used the comet to get a lift through space and visit the Earth! And in order to get to those aliens and be picked up by their spacecraft, all the members of the cult committed suicide!!! (One of them was a relative of Nichelle Nichols from the original Kirk and Spock Star Trek show. frown )

[Linked Image]

Is there a spacecraft in the tail? I think not.

Chakotay had been monitoring the communications from EPRAD. He suddenly looked up. “Captain! EPRAD is sending this "Superman' to the asteroid to... hit it.” He was confused. “It sounded like they actually wanted him to hit the asteroid. I think I must have misunderstood. I believe they mean to hit the asteroid with a nuclear weapon.”

Captain Janeway jumped up from her seat. “Breaking up the asteroid is one of the worst things they could do.”
Good! Captain Janeway knows about science.

They watched as he hit the asteroid. They watched as the asteroid shattered. And they were surprised as most of it not only shattered, it actually disintegrated. At least most of it did.
Wowzers!!! Maybe the laws of physics are different in the LnC universe.

He was drowning. He was dying. All he could think of was Lois - and their unborn child. She didn't even know he knew yet. Lois!
She's pregnant! And she doesn't know that he knows!

Lois paced in the bathroom of The Daily Planet. She was pregnant and her beloved husband didn't even know.
No, she doesn't know that he knows!

The man - no hologram - leaning over him was reaching for something so he quickly closed his eyes.
I don't understand. Who was that man, if he was not the Doctor? And if he was the Doctor, how could he not be a hologram?

The lady in charge had said something about first contact and Vulcans. What did she mean? He knew Vulcan was the ancient Roman god of fire, but what did that have to do with this?
I love that!!! Star Trek doesn't exist in the LnC universe, so Clark thinks that the word "Vulcan" can only refer to the Roman god of fire!!!

[Linked Image]

(Speaking about that, if you asked a typcial teenager or twenty-something of today if they know two meanings of the word Vulcan, do you think they could come up with anything else than pointy-eared aliens known from TV and movies?)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

(Actually... in the 19th century, astronomers speculated that there might be innermost planet between Mercury and the Sun, a hypothetical planet which they named Vulcan. I was going to post a link to the Wikipedia article about it, but there is a parenthesis in the address, so this site won't link it. Check it out yourself!)

“He is Kryptonian. They were a very old and powerful race. The Borg believed them to all be dead even in the 20th century. They were the only race that was ever able to completely resist the Borg. We were never able to add even one of them to the Continuum.”
Wow. That's impressive.

But he ran past one eerily familiar crew member that watched his movements with interest.
Who the heck would that crew member be????

Come back soon with more, Nancy!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh! Voyager cross-over! *dances*

As Chakotay rushed to her side, the sexual tension between them ever present, she looked at him gratefully as he helped her to her feet.
*giggles* YES! It should have been him and her -- not him and Seven!! Janeway/Chakotay is the OTP!! (sorry, it's hard to get the Trekkie out of me sometimes)

Ralph, ever the hysterical one, cried, “It’s the end of the world!”
ROFL! (how we <3 thee, Ralph Spagoda. <snort>)

Tom Paris’ eyes lighted up. “Superman?! Did they really mention Superman? As in... he’s real?” Maybe his knowledge of 20th century history would help save the day. Tom Paris loved to be a hero.
Heeee! smile That is SO cool! And, omg, yes, Tom does love to be the hero.

“I, like many other aficionados of 20th century history, think of him solely as a comic book character.”
Pfffft! Of course, Superman is *real*. Duh. I have pictures of him in my office! Really, I do!

He rolled his eyes and humdrumly answered, “He flew.”

Tuvok stated, “The Earth of this time has no craft that can make that flight.”

Tom grinned. “No. I mean *he* flew. Under his own powers.”
*giggles* I love that! Most excellent!

“You are *not* going to disassemble my molecules!” He quickly scanned the ship with his x-ray vision and ran towards a deck that was open to space.
Oi... poor thing - probably thinks the machine works like the one the NK villains had...

But he ran past one eerily familiar crew member that watched his movements with interest.
mmm... eerily? *ponder* Chakotay might have been familiar, because of Fly Hard, but... who else?

Couldn't find him, so I went looking on IMDB. LOL! Do you know we could make a list of at least 20 people from L&C with a connection to Star Trek? Jonathan Frakes, Denise Crosby, J.G. Hertzler, David Warner, etc. -- heck, even Sharon Thomas, in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock . *giggles* Anyhoo... so I found the guy, after over half an hour of looking. HAHA! Very clever of you to spot him, btw. thumbsup (and here... just to prove I really know who is it, without spoiling it for anyone else, he's in ONE ep of Voyager and one of his lines is "Harry, just relax!" ROFL.)

Nice start Nancy - I can't wait to read the rest! laugh

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Eva Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey, still don't have a lot of time but wanted to leave feedback before I forgot.

It's a great idea to use the nightfall asteroid as an explanation for the Voyager's visit.

Also, I love Tom Paris and his 20th century obsession - and it looks like he might have a few more things to contribute in this story so that's great smile

Made me curious: is this just an obscure reference (*waves in Lara's direction smile ) or will this play a bigger role in your story development?

We were never able to add even one of them to the Continuum.”

Clark thought to himself, ‘Continuum?’
Same thought as Marcus: is this really Seven or is this one of Q's mind games?

All in all: really nice, I am intrigued and hope you will be back with more soon.

Best,

Eva

Originally posted by LaraMoon:

As Chakotay rushed to her side, the sexual tension between them ever present, she looked at him gratefully as he helped her to her feet.
*giggles* YES! It should have been him and her -- not him and Seven!! Janeway/Chakotay is the OTP!! (sorry, it's hard to get the Trekkie out of me sometimes)

I so feel the same way, Seven and Chakotay never felt right or even natural to me.
If she really had to find a mate, I would actually have found the Doctor not to be such a bad match for her after all - or even Harry Kim.
But Chakotay: come on, he needs a woman his own age, preferably one with investigative skills she developed as Mrs. Columbo smile
Having said that, I loved Seven as a character; she was a great addition to the crew.

kill a cliché, save a reader
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Hey, guys, I know I've been away for awhile, but I do like feedback. I hope I haven't lost all my readers because A New Hero is still not finished. I promise it's not forgotten, and I am working on it.
You have to drop out for a lot longer than that before you lose your readership. Heck, our ancient friend Tank has been retired now for going on sixty years and we still read his work everytime he gets a bit dotty and forgets he's retired.

“Not only does the asteroid apparently have a guidance system, and not only is it taking us along with it, it’s also pulling us through time.”
That would certainly get MY attention.

Ralph, ever the hysterical one, cried, “It’s the end of the world!”
What a wimp!

The Captain narrowed her eyes. “What do you know about this Superman, Tom? I’ve never heard of Superman.”

“Well, Captain, most people think he’s merely a myth. But the people from Utopia in the old state of New Troy swear that he really existed.” He shrugged. “I, like many other aficionados of 20th century history, think of him solely as a comic book character.” He quirked a smile. “From what Tuvok says about the chatter, it seems I was wrong. It seems that Superman is quite real.”
What an excellent explanation.

Curious ending.

Elisabeth

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
The man - no hologram - leaning over him was reaching for something so he quickly closed his eyes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand. Who was that man, if he was not the Doctor? And if he was the Doctor, how could he not be a hologram?
I took it to mean that he was correcting his thought. At first he thought it was a man and then he realized it to be a hologram.

I'd better scoot, since I made a promise I would actually go to bed at a decent hour tonight.

Elisabeth

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by LaraMoon:

Couldn't find him, so I went looking on IMDB. LOL! Do you know we could make a list of at least 20 people from L&C with a connection to Star Trek? Jonathan Frakes, Denise Crosby, J.G. Hertzler, David Warner, etc. -- heck, even Sharon Thomas, in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock . *giggles* Anyhoo... so I found the guy, after over half an hour of looking. HAHA! Very clever of you to spot him, btw. thumbsup (and here... just to prove I really know who is it, without spoiling it for anyone else, he's in ONE ep of Voyager and one of his lines is "Harry, just relax!" ROFL.) laugh
Well I haven't figured out who it is. BTW did you know Mindy Church was Tom & Kes's daughter?

Framework4
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by Elisabeth:
[QUOTE]The man - no hologram - leaning over him was reaching for something so he quickly closed his eyes.
Expand it;

"The man, no [not a man a] hologram, leaning over ...

Clark is correcting himself

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for all the lovely feedback guys. Just had a horrible night at work and I'll make more comments later...

and here... just to prove I really know who is it, without spoiling it for anyone else, he's in ONE ep of Voyager and one of his lines is "Harry, just relax!" ROFL.
rotflol You don't have even a clue... Really you don't... Giggles.

The man - no hologram - leaning over him was reaching for something so he quickly closed his eyes
Yes, as others have mentioned, Clark was correcting his thoughts. With his special abilities I figured he'd be able to recognize a hologram when others couldn't.

And thanks, Lara, for pointing out my glaring errors. I'll fix them ASAP.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
rotflol You don't have even a clue... Really you don't... Giggles.
You're kidding? You mean, I'm wrong? It's not... someone who could be.... a.... you know.... an alien.... from.... Krypton.... agh!

It's not??

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I haven't watched any ST for a long time, but I do remember enough of these characters to follow along. What an interesting plot line - I'm very intrigued to find out why the asteroid moved and what happens to our poor suffocating Clark. Oh, and I love stories with pregnant Lois. I hope we get to see more of her in part two.

You're kidding? You mean, I'm wrong? It's not... someone who could be.... a.... you know.... an alien.... from.... Krypton.... agh!

It's not??
Wouldn't it be funny if it's Mr. Mxyzptlk?
BJ

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I don't know much about Voyager, but I'm familiar with Star trek in general, and I think the hook you used to cross these universes is brilliant. Although I'm interested in learning more about the fact that the asteriod apparently has an internal guidance system.

“Well, Captain, most people think he’s merely a myth. But the people from Utopia in the old state of New Troy swear that he really existed.”
I. Love. This. So much time has passed that most people think he's a myth. (Kind of like Jesus Christ, now that I think about it.) I'm guessing that the "present" of Janeway and her crew is from long after Tempus's time, since he clearly did realize from the start that Superman was a real person.

Suddenly he felt a familiar feeling. A feeling he remembered with great disdain. A feeling of having his molecules disassembled. He tried to scream but couldn’t.
What a nasty return of that particular nightmare! Clark, of course, has no way of knowing that this is for his own good.

Might that be a member of the Lane-Kent family?

His last jumbled thought as he plummeted towards Earth was ‘home’.
A la Dorothy! All he needs are some red ruby slippers. laugh

I'm looking forward to part two, Nancy!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you, everyone who posted feedback!! You know I love feedback!

Is Tempus going to turn out to be Q or something? Neat idea anyway.
What an interesting idea, Marcus, but no Q = Tempus here.

(Speaking about that, if you asked a typcial teenager or twenty-something of today if they know two meanings of the word Vulcan, do you think they could come up with anything else than pointy-eared aliens known from TV and movies?)
I seriously doubt it, Ann. No Roman god and no possible planet. And no vulcanized rubber either. smile I think most would only know the beings from Star Trek.

I so feel the same way, Seven and Chakotay never felt right or even natural to me.
Oh, yes. I absolutely agree. I was so totally bummed when Chakotay ended up with Seven. frown

Made me curious: is this just an obscure reference (*waves in Lara's direction ) or will this play a bigger role in your story development?
It won’t play a huge role in the story, but it will be, shall we say... ah... very interesting.

We were never able to add even one of them to the Continuum.”

Clark thought to himself, ‘Continuum?’
Same thought as Marcus: is this really Seven or is this one of Q's mind games?
I’m just re-reading the feedback, and here I thought no one had noticed my big blooper. That’s what I get for posting in the middle of the night (and without a beta). No Q here. That was a mistake (a BIG mistake) - should have been Collective. Oopsies... I fixed it a day or two after posting (and thought no one had caught it...) I remember driving home from work and thinking about what I'd done and I just kept saying, "Idiot! You idiot!" Especially since I so know better.

You have to drop out for a lot longer than that before you lose your readership. Heck, our ancient friend Tank has been retired now for going on sixty years and we still read his work everytime he gets a bit dotty and forgets he's retired.
ROFLOL! I wonder what Tank would think of that comment, Elisabeth. I thought it was hilarious.

BTW did you know Mindy Church was Tom & Kes's daughter?
No! I didn’t know that, Patrick. She sure looked different.

Wouldn't it be funny if it's Mr. Mxyzptlk?
Yes, it would be, BJ. But it’s not our favorite game show host...

I. Love. This.
Aww... Thanks, Elisabeth.

So much time has passed that most people think he's a myth. (Kind of like Jesus Christ, now that I think about it.) I'm guessing that the "present" of Janeway and her crew is from long after Tempus's time, since he clearly did realize from the start that Superman was a real person.
Well, I checked on the timelines. According to what I found on the internet, ST: Voyager was set in the 24th century from the years 2371 to 2377. In Tempus Fugitive, HG Wells says that Utopia exists in the 22nd century. It seems like there was another ep that said Utopia still existed many years later, but I couldn’t find the reference. The only reference I could find was that Tempus had stolen technology from the 25th century.

Thanks again guys for all the feedback. I embellished part 2 so much that the story has turned into a 3 parter. LaraMoon has graciously beta’ed the 2nd part to help keep me from feeling foolish - thanks, Lara. But right now I just really need to go to bed so I’ll get it posted on Saturday!

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Took me a while to get things and find picts...

POSTER

James, who hopes you like it.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awww.... Gee thanks, James. You have made my day!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard