Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49594 02/12/08 08:22 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I CALL FDK! HA! dance

Now I just have to read it... ps tonight you're saving me from Die Fledermaus. frown At least this one's in english.

Hmmm, I see you employed the I-don't-know-what-else-to-say-so-I'm-going-to-write-the-same-thing-over-using-different-words technique. I was going to complain to management about that, but since I was a true devotee of said method in my essay writing days as well, I'll let you get away with it! Plus you're management, so what would be the point? But maybe as penance, a little epilogue is in order... Yes, I am a pest. angel-devil

Thanks for the great entertainment, Beth. I look forward to criticising, erm, commenting on your next work. laugh

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#49595 02/12/08 08:26 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
AAAH - it's over? grumble

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#49596 02/12/08 10:37 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I really liked this story and that is unusual for me to like Next Gen. You made the characters come alive with great chemistry. Now I want a sequel or an nfic epilogue. wink Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#49597 02/12/08 10:45 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Beth, I also really enjoyed this story, and it's always a toss up if I'm going to like Next Gen! But it ended a little too quickly for my taste, so I hereby sign the petition a waffy epilogue!

smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#49598 02/12/08 10:59 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by MrsMosley:
Beth, I also really enjoyed this story, and it's always a toss up if I'm going to like Next Gen! But it ended a little too quickly for my taste, so I hereby sign the petition a waffy epilogue!

smile
Think I agree with this, this last chunk was OK but felt a bit rushed. Rather too much of it is tell, not show.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#49599 02/13/08 06:41 AM
Columnist
Columnist
See, this is the great thing about these boards. Always pushing me to be better. When I got these last night, I started writing some more and was able to send some stuff off to Nancy, my BR. Hopefully I'll have something up within a few days that will be an improvement. I don't write nfic, Laura, but I'll see what else I come up with.

And gr8shades, I think you might have me confused with another Beth. I'm definitely not management!

#49600 02/13/08 10:44 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
And gr8shades, I think you might have me confused with another Beth. I'm definitely not management!
I'm getting that now. Apparently we're management. We say jump, and you say how high.

I've always wanted to be somebody's boss... now get writing or you're fired! evil

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#49601 02/13/08 02:39 PM
Blogger
Blogger
sequel... epilogue... something because that was way too short. Great fic though. thumbsup

Here…poke that.
#49602 02/13/08 03:28 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Honesty is done! Sob!

I'm all better now.

I agree that there could definitely be a lot more to this story, but on the other hand this ending leaves the gentle reader with the choice of imagining his or her own future collaboration between these two. I, for one, believe it was a wonderful ending.

Assuming, of course, that there is indeed more to come. I want to know how Kaylie and Jon work out their relationship and how much interference Kaylie will permit in her chosen profession. Being basically an internal auditor for the NIA has got to be hazardous to her continued good health.

And I'd love to see Kaylie and Lois cooking together. No kidding. Lois can share some of her hard-won culinary acumen, and Kaylie can cringe at the very thought of actually creating a meal which won't injure non-super-powered people. And I want to hear her tell her brother that she's getting married but she can't tell him who because then she'd have to kill him. (Her brother, not her husband.)

Lots of neat stuff just waiting around for you to pick up and run with. But this was a great story, and I'm truly sorry that it's finished. Except for the obligatory sequel, of course.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#49603 02/14/08 02:20 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I liked the take on the first time they meet seeing through Jon’s point of view. That’s something I miss in the first person POV, you never know what the other is thinking. The way you finished the story was good, it was a happy ending without being a “Haply ever after” kind of happy ending!

#49604 02/14/08 07:59 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks everyone who left comments on this story! A sequel is already in the making and I'll probably start posting within a couple weeks. I won't say much about it right now Terry, but there are quite a few elements of your ideas within the story (in one incarnation or another wink )

#49605 02/14/08 09:40 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I got onto the message boards to leave some fdk for the last part of Honesty whinging , to find that an epilogue had been posted so, yay, instead of leaving insightful and articulate feedback I'm off to read that!! dance

- Alisha

#49606 02/14/08 03:14 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Beth S.:
Thanks everyone who left comments on this story! A sequel is already in the making and I'll probably start posting within a couple weeks. I won't say much about it right now Terry, but there are quite a few elements of your ideas within the story (in one incarnation or another wink )
Ooh there's a sequel in the making? I'm really excited about that! Loved the ending and this whole little world you have created for us!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#49607 02/15/08 11:57 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nice, if a bit slow. But since you are going to give us a sequel, well smile

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#49608 02/16/08 04:44 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I'm not generally a fan of next gen stories, but since this was about a grown kids and it could be a story about adults I found myself giving it a go.

Well done. You did a nice job of giving us a parallel to the Lois and Clark relationship that we are all familiar with, yet kept your main characters their own people.

The A plot was strong enough to allow us to 'see' who these two people are and how they react to the situations that make them who they are in their respective lives. But it never got in the way of the B plot (which is what most of the gentle readers really want to see).

Even though I'm a Lois and Clark guy, I found I liked Jon and Kaylie and would look forward to seeing more of their 'adventures' together.

Tank (who thinks there could be a lot of future conflicts between Kaylie's job and Jon's ability to let her 'do what she has to do')

#49609 02/16/08 09:23 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Wow, more feedback! Thanks guys! I'm especially happy to hear that some people who don't normally like nextgen enjoyed my story. I think that nextgen can either go one way or the other, and I'm glad you think mine went in a good way. smile

You're all very right in saying that there is a lot left to be explored with these characters. The whole idea of Kaylie not knowing who Jon is for the majority of this story meant that we didn't get to see what their relationship would be like out in the real world. So that's something I really want to try to explore in this next story, among some other things.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard