Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Welcome smile And you are not alone with finding the boards last, i.e. via the archives.

Nice take, making the first lines so LnC and only going off later. Kind of sad, too, both the end of the vignette and the outcome later.

Oh, and I see you wrote a piece with Lois taking some form of revenge for Clark's 2nd identity? *puts on reading short list*

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Columnist
Columnist
Welcome! New authors are always welcomed with open arms. smile

This was a great vignette. I try to keep an open mind with the sort of story that doesn't list names. It's my way of trying not to fall for the twist at the end (even though I secretly love it). You definitely had me on this one! And it was written so well. I look forward to more!

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm so happy you decided to join us. I totally liked your first story, and am glad you decided to post it here since I often miss items that skip these boards. (I prefer WIPS--works in process. Sue me.)

As for your story, I liked it. I don't have time to quote from my favorite lines--I'll probably come back and read it again since I skimmed it so quickly the first time. That being said, I like the twist you put on the story, tragic and poignant as it was. The title speaks volumes.

Elisabeth

Features Writer
Features Writer
Hi there,

I liked this sad little vignette too. I loved the image of Lois and Lucy, it was on one hand very cute. On the other it was also kind of heartbreaking since you realize that although she might be too young to understand there, the events that unfold will greatly affect her. I liked those two sides there. Good job. thumbsup

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hi, Kevin, and welcome to the boards! I know very well that you uploaded another LnC story directly to the Archive. It was lovely.

I liked this one a lot, too. Poor Lois - I mean, poor - well, maybe I shouldn't even say who, in case someone rudely sneaks a peek here before they read the actual vignette! But the entire little fic was positively reeking with meaning, and perhaps it could even be regarded as a cautionary tale. Clark should be careful about disappearing all too often from Lois once they've married. If he allows his Superman persona to take precedence over Clark, who knows what might happen.

Like someone else pointed out, the image of Lois and Lucy as Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of Baskerville was absolutely delightful, and somehow almost heartbreaking, too. It was like watching two innocents at play and knowing where they are heading.

Beautiful job, Kevin! I hope to see more of you on these boards!

Ann

Columnist
Columnist
Welcone to the boards. I will have to pop over to the archives to see whatelse you have written.

I always felt so sad for Ellen Lane. She believed that her life would be wonderful working side by side with the man she loved.

Wonderful job.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
As promised, I reread it when I had the chance. (I hadn't realized it was a vignette when I first opened it. I thought it was simply a hello from a newbie.)

You do a good job of painting the doubled picture. The doubled pain also comes through quite clearly. We all know that Lois is extra careful of men due to her parent's situation, but you make it even clearer.
She had her suspicions, but she didn’t really believe them for a second. The patterns fit, as did his actions, but it was impossible that he would lie to her about this. There had to be some reasonable and normal explanation for his behavior. He was someone she respected and trusted – he was her best friend. He wouldn’t lie to her, she just knew it.
Somehow I never think of her parent's as being "best friends", but there must have been a time where they were. Thank you for pointing that time out to us. It's especially poignant when it is written by a sober woman who is just now turning to drink to "relax her." (Note how she sees his lies without realizing that she is lying to herself, as well.)

Just a note--most of the stories here are set apart by using a blue arrow as the message icon. If you want to add the blue arrow, you can edit your message by clicking on the paper and pencil icon to the right. Most authors also tell us which part of how many parts. Some people like reading WIPs and some will only read it when it is complete, so you get more readers if you tell if you say "1/1" then you would otherwise.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey there, welcome!

And wow. This was a fabulous parallel between Sam/Ellen and Lois/Clark. I never really considered that they might have the same kind of beginning, and well we all know how it turned out. Sam was really sneaking off with women while Clark was out saving the world...so a very interesting train of thought. Nice start here delurking for one of your first of many stories? *nudge nudge* wink

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Being a sucker for short vignettes, I really liked this one, especially with the twist at the end. Very nicely done. smile

perhaps it could even be regarded as a cautionary tale. Clark should be careful about disappearing all too often from Lois once they've married.
I disagree with this. Lois knew what she was getting herself into. Ellen did not. I find it highly unlikely that Lois would ever resent Clark for being Superman, even though she might by annoyed for a bit when he takes off in the middle of a conversation.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Blogger
Blogger
Blushing here - thanks for all the kind words. I appreciate the helpful comments too on how to notify readers that a story is attached. I also wanted to mention that after I'd written the story that Ellen's alchol hiding place just might be the reason Lois (subconciously) doesn't like to cook. The poor child probably found Ellen's stash about the time things were deteriorating. Weird to comment on one's own story, but that thought hit me about 2 weeks after writing it!
Again, thank you all for the kind words. I'll definitely be putting up more stories. As I wrote, I prefer WAFFy stories, although this one really isn't, and I'm writing a story right now I'm going to call "Night Fell" where Clark didn't land in Metropolis and didn't stop the fragment from striking the Earth. No WAFFs there! If anyone is aware of anyone else using this plot device, please let me know. I really don't want to tread on any toes.
Kermtzu/ Kevin

Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
perhaps it could even be regarded as a cautionary tale. Clark should be careful about disappearing all too often from Lois once they've married.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree with this. Lois knew what she was getting herself into. Ellen did not. I find it highly unlikely that Lois would ever resent Clark for being Superman, even though she might by annoyed for a bit when he takes off in the middle of a conversation.
Well, Tank wrote a story where Lois had enough of her marriage to Clark precisely because it was so hard to put up with Clark's disappearances in the long run. It's called Sometimes Love Isn\'t Enough .I can't remember that anyone else has suggested that Lois would not be able to take Clark's constant absences, but I was thinking of Tank's story as I wrote that part of my FDK.

Sorry about stealing your thread, Kevin.

Ann

C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Sorry about stealing your thread, Kevin.
I'm sorry, too. I didn't mean to hijack.

Just something else I wanted to add: I think having Lois dress up as Holmes "as always" is perfect and a very nice touch. It fits her personality so well and foreshadows her future as an investigative reporter. smile

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
If anyone is aware of anyone else using this plot device, please let me know. I really don't want to tread on any toes.
Even if there were, don't let that stop you, Kevin! Two authors might start with the same plot, but their differences in style and experiences will ensure that both stories turn out very differently.

And if we only allowed one author to tackle a plot we'd never have all those thousands of TOGOM rewrites. goofy

So...go for it!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Let me say, once again, that there is a possible parallel between Sam and Ellen's failed marriage and Lois and Clark's upcoming marriage. Whether the parallel is there or not depends on how you define Sam and Ellen. In Kevin's fic, young Ellen Lane comes through as a likable woman who loves her husband and still wants to trust him. What if this Sam is not necessarily a heartless womanizer, but rather a heroic champion of life and health, medical super-doctor Sam Lane? What if he slowly loses interest in his marriage because his medical career is so much more challenging and rewarding? And what if he can't take an interest in his wife because his his sick patients seem to need him so much more?

And what if Clark decides that the world's all train wrecks and oil spills and earthquakes and hostage situations and holdups and wildfires demand his attention so much more than Lois? Could what happened to Sam and Ellen happen to Lois and Clark? Yes, I think it could, although I really don't think it will. Ultimately, I don't think Clark will neglect Lois the way Sam neglected Ellen, and I can't believe - I won't believe - that LnC's married Clark will turn into a womanizer. But Lois just possibly might be more like her mother than she realizes. When people are young, they often think that they are nothing like their parents, but when they grow older they find that, yes indeed, they are. Even so I really don't think that Lois will meet with the same fate as her mother, but still, this fic reminds us of the possibility that it just could happen.

Anyway, I think this vignette becomes even more beautiful because it really brings home the fact that Lois really is her mother's daughter, and maybe Ellen once thought that she had found her soulmate in Sam Lane. Maybe the story about Sam and Ellen is really a story about a man and a woman who were both good people, but who ultimately couldn't make their lives fit together.

This is really a haunting fic, Kevin.

Ann

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Ann's right, Kevin, this is haunting. I really liked the point of view, and the fact that you completely hid the identity of the person who was musing in such a maudlin fashion until the very end. It's an outstanding first fic, and it should garner some Kerth attention next year.

So when's your next one coming to the boards?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Blogger
Blogger
At the risk of oversaturation, I'll put up my 'Keeping up with Lois' story. It's the first in a series of a super-powered Lois Lane. The story & its sequel are in the archive, with the third in the GE phase now.

Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard