Clark reached over and turned the television back on.

“Clark,” Martha started.

“Clark,” Lois echoed. “You don't…” she sighed while she tried to think of the appropriate words. She thought back to what she had said to him less than an hour ago – that she would always be there for him to talk to after a difficult rescue. She wanted to cry for him now. This was so much worse than a difficult rescue. It was clear that not being able to help was tearing him apart inside. His voice from after the Australian earthquake echoed in her head. What's the point of being Superman full time if I couldn't save them? She took a deep breath. “Clark, it's okay that you can't be there. You don't need to listen to this. It is not your fault. And there are other things you can do to help…”

“Yes,” he responded, more firmly than she expected, although she could hear the guilt in his voice. “Like figure out where the kryptonite is coming from so I can get rid of it. Maybe if we listen to the news we'll get a clue. If Jimmy's theory is correct and whoever is doing this is looking for infamy, they'll likely be out and broadcasting soon.”

There was a moment while everyone absorbed the sense in this. Perry turned the sound up, but for now the news was just showing the wreckage - lots of what Lois thought were purely gratuitous shots of crying people. She leaned over to take Clark's hand.

Everyone sat in silence for a few more moments before both Lois' phone rang and there was a knock at the door at once. Martha offered to get the door and handed Lois the phone on her way. Her hand still in Clark's, Lois said, “Hello,” into the mouthpiece.

“Hey,” John's warm voice came over line.

“Oh my… Clark Kent!” Lucy's voice came from the doorway. She pushed past Martha, barely noticing her. It had been years since Lucy had seen her sister holding hands with anyone aside from Sammy and the sight had transfixed her from the moment the door had opened. After a moment she had felt the need to see whose hand Lois had been holding and had gotten the shock of her life at seeing Lois' old partner sitting there.

Lois let go of Clark's hand when Lucy lunged at him, engulfing him in a hug. Clark gave Lois a look over the top of Lucy's head and Lois stifled a giggle. Then remembering the caller on the other end of the phone she moved out into the hallway and said, “Hi, John,” into the receiver.

“You sound like you are in good spirits,” he commented. “Does that mean Clark is better?”

“Slightly,” she said. “I think it's good for him to see all the people he hasn't seen in ages. His parents are here and Jimmy Olsen is, too.”

“You have James Olsen there?” John asked. “You need to get an interview with him, Lois!” he exclaimed.

Lois stopped for a moment. An interview with Jimmy? But then she remembered, she was sitting with one of the countries youngest millionaires. It was hard to think of Jimmy that way. “Of course, John,” she said.

“Good. And then you don't need to worry too much about covering the wildfires. I know you're busy.”

This statement, too, took Lois by surprise. The wildfires – of course, they were big news. Somehow she had gotten so wrapped up in Clark, she had completely forgotten that.

“Right,” she said now into the phone.

“Lois,” John started, his voice suddenly hesitant. “do you know where Superman is? He could really help with the fires, don't you think?”

For a moment, Lois felt a chill go down her spine. Why was John asking about Superman? But after a moment, she realized the thought was ridiculous. This was John. And it was completely reasonable that he would ask about Superman during a natural disaster.

“No,” she lied, “I haven't seen him.”

“He didn't come to tell you about the tornado in Belize?” John asked. “I thought you just hadn't had a chance to write it up with yet with Clark there.”

“The tornado in Belize?” Lois said blankly, trying to determine what to say about Superman to hide the fact that he was hurt and in her living room. But her response turned out to be the perfect cover.

“You didn't hear?” he asked her. “There was a tornado in Belize. Superman helped out there.”

“Right,” Lois covered, deciding ignorance was the best cover, “I did hear about that, but Superman never showed up. He must be helping somewhere else. I forgot.”

“Of course, you did,” John said, compassionately. “You've been busy with Clark. Okay, I'll let you get back to that. I just wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“Thanks, John,” Lois said already mentally moving back to the conversation in her living room.

“It's never a problem. You know that, Lois. Take as much time as you need.”

Lois smiled. While some part of her already knew it would never be her, John was going to make some woman incredibly happy. And she knew that because she knew he wasn't being understanding because of his interest in her. This was just the way John was.

Lucy came out of the door just as Lois was about to enter. “I have to go start dinner, but I can not believe you didn't tell me about Clark!” she gushed. “It's so romantic,” Lucy said as she entered her own apartment. “Giving up his life and entering the Witness Protection Program for you.”

Lois smirked. “This is a man's life, Lucy. Not one of your romance novels.”

“Excuse me,” Lucy replied. “Those are your romance novels. Not mine. And it's still romantic and tragic.”

“Go make dinner, Luce,” Lois said before both sisters moved into their respective apartments. Lois resolutely ignored the fact that for the first time she did not feel the need to remind someone that Clark hadn't given up his life for her since he had not died. She did not want to think about what this change in her reaction meant.

“Did I meet her before?” Clark asked as soon as Lois entered. “As Clark, I mean. I barely remember her,” he said.

Lois blushed. “I think she's maybe seen a few pictures and heard a few stories about you,” she admitted. Clark said nothing, but gave an embarrassed look at the floor.

In a moment though, everyone's eyes moved back to the television as Governor Williams started a makeshift press conference. The room sat in silence for a few moments while the governor expressed grief over the casualties and explained that many of the fire departments from surrounding areas were sending in volunteers to help get the fire under control.

Lois saw Abby pushing forward into the crowd of reporters to get a quote. “What about federal help?” she asked Governor Williams. “Doesn't this qualify as a national disaster?”

The governor gave a sigh. “Yes, this is a national disaster, but unfortunately, there are other national disasters that take precedent. But the Red Cross will be taking donations as well.”

“What other national disasters?” several members of the press asked, but the governor turned around and did not take any other questions.

The news covered several of their own commenting on the governor's comments before Mike Skagle somehow got center stage.

“Excuse me,” he said politely a few times into the microphone until the reporters quieted down.

“If you elect me come November,” he started and Lois audibly groaned, “I will fight for better state funding for natural disasters. In recent years, California government has become lax in fighting for what is our right. The desire to assume that all will work out in the end has taken precedent over planning for the worst. Sadly, this is not based on the idea that if something happens the state will have the funds. I do not believe Governor Williams nor Senators Bibbly and McGilley are foolish enough to believe this. Nor the idea that the federal government will come to our aid. No, it is the idea that these things won't happen. The Big Blue Boy Scout won't let it.”

Martha gasped, but everyone else was silent watching the television in horror. The derision in Mike Skagle's voice when he referred to Superman was hard to miss. Lois found herself reaching for Clark's hand again.

“But clearly,” Skagle continued, “we can't count on Big Blue. He's not here now, is he? And have any of you heard about any disasters elsewhere? No, he simply doesn't care. California is not on his radar screen. We need to protect ourselves, we can't expect Superman to do it for us.”

“Hey, what are you implying about Superman?” cried Tom Myers from the San Francisco Chronicle. There was agreement from the crowd of reporters before Skagle responded.

“I'm not trying to make any implications. He's not here, is he?”

“I'm sure he's busy with something else,” Abby shouted out and Lois felt a rush of gratitude towards her partner.

“Check your news,” Skagle informed her. “Nothing is going on. He's choosing not to help.”

There was a pause before the reporters again started to mumble amongst themselves. Before the news cameras took over, speaking over the background discussion, it was clear that popular opinion was that Superman must not know about the fires, but there were certainly some reporters that were eager for the chance to let the superhero out to dry.

Perry leaned over and shut off the television again and for a moment no one in the room said anything. Then Jimmy spoke up. “So, Skagle is hoping to get elected by rendering Superman immobile? Is it really worth it?”

No one responded right away, but Lois finally said, “No, I doubt it. But maybe he needed to in order to get Weis' money. We knew there had to be something in it for Weis. Perhaps it was to get rid of Superman.”

“And it wouldn't be to immobilize me, Jim,” Clark said quietly.

“Could the kryptonite dust kill you?” Jimmy asked, his voice breaking slightly as he feared he knew the answer.

Lois' hand in Clark's tightened further and Perry looked at Clark with a sadness in his eyes Lois hadn't seen since Clark got shot. “If I can't get away from it, yes,” Clark said.

There was a pause and Lois could see that everyone was about to come over and give Clark a hug. In an effort to distract them and get them focused on what they could do to prevent Clark's death, she started speaking, possibly a little too loudly. “If Skagle had to hurt Superman for Weis' money, of course he would capitalize on it to win the election.”

“Wait?” Jimmy said, “Did you say "Weis'? Are you saying Mickey Weis is supporting Mike Skagle?”

Lois nodded, still lost in thought.

Jimmy sighed. “I always thought there was something weird about him. He spends too much time on fine wine and party girls.”

“Know him, Jim?” Clark asked.

“We sit on some boards together,” Jimmy explained. “But we rarely see eye to eye.”

“Good to hear,” Perry said.

Lois brightened a bit. “Jimmy could you come up with a plausible reason for Clark and me to interview him?”

Jimmy looked up in surprise. “Sure, but he's in Metropolis.”

“I know,” Lois said, “but we need to get Clark there anyway.” When Clark looked up in surprise she said, “We need to get you away from the kryptonite.”

“Lois is right, honey,” Martha said.

Jonathan stood up to place a hand on Clark's shoulder. “I know how much you hate commercial air travel, but I'm afraid you don't have a choice this time, Clark.”

Clark gave a slight smile to his father before asking Lois, “Could I borrow your phone?”

“Of course,” Lois said. “Why?” She paused for a moment seeming flummoxed before saying, “Forget that. It's none of my business. Of course,” and she held the phone out to him.

“It is your business, Lois,” Clark said softly. For a moment, Lois forgot there were others in the room as Clark looked directly into her eyes. “I promise - I don't keep any secrets from you anymore.”

There was silence for a moment before Perry coughed to remind Lois and Clark that they were not alone.

Lois ducked her head as Clark took the phone from her. “I'm calling Dr. Klein,” Clark told the room in general, although Lois knew it was mostly for her benefit. “We should make sure there's no kryptonite there before I go, don't you think?”

Lois could actually feel herself pale at his words. What if he was right? What if there was no where they could take him to get him away from this? She felt her eyes fill with tears almost as if she was no longer in control of her own body. She had not allowed herself to think about this before, but what if it was too late? What if there was nothing left but to watch Clark get sicker and sicker?

She felt Martha pull her into a hug as Jimmy wrapped an arm around her waist. “It won't happen,” Jimmy whispered to both Lois and Martha. “We'll get him out of this. I promise.”

It did the trick. Lois felt better. She could see with sudden clarity how Jimmy had become so successful. He was a bit like John, really. All the qualities that had made Jimmy so great at the Planet had not disappeared as he had gotten older. He was still dedicated to those around him. But he was a man now, not a boy. And when he spoke, Lois heard the confidence in his voice. He made her believe him. She reached over to give him a hug. “I'm so proud of you, Jimmy,” she whispered. “You are an amazing man.” She kissed his cheek softly as she pulled away and giggled a bit when she saw him blush. So maybe a little bit of him was still a boy.

Clark's voice in the room brought everyone's attention back to him.

“It's important, Dr. Klein,” Clark said into the phone. “Are you sure this line is secure?”

The question caused Perry to move towards the phone. “Call him back, Clark,” he said. He used his old editor voice and that got Clark's attention.

“I'll call you back in a minute,” Clark said.

Perry held out his cell phone. “We've already potentially given up too much information. Skagle has kryptonite on Lois' balcony. No reason to think he doesn't have her phone bugged.”

Clark took the cell phone from him with a quiet, “Thank you.” No one said anything about the thought going through all their heads now. What if the place was bugged aside from the phone? They had just given Superman's identity away.

Clark dialed the number for Star Labs again, and Bernard Klein answered immediately. “Good,” Clark said into the receiver and everyone understood that at least Star Labs was not compromised.

“I'm planning to make a visit to Metropolis later today,” Clark said, “but I need you to check something for me. Can you go outside and see if there is a greenish tinge to the ground?”

There was a pause before Clark explained more fully, “Someone has gotten a hold of kryptonite and turned it into dust. It was in Australia at the earthquake and Belize at the tornado. And it's in California as well.” There was another brief pause before Clark said, “Weak, but mostly okay now that I've slept. But no powers.”

“He's checking,” he announced to the room at large a moment later. Everyone stood in tense silence while they waited.

“Really?” Clark finally said into the receiver. “Yes, we can do that.” He looked up from the phone for a moment to announce, “Metropolis seems clean, but Dr. Klein asked if we could take some of the kryptonite dust with us.”

Lois immediately moved into the kitchen looking for something she could use to hold some of the dust on her balcony.

Clark turned back to the phone. “I'll be on the next flight out, Dr. Klein. And I'll be coming by with Lois Lane.” He paused again while Lois moved out to the balcony, removing her shoes just before she did, with a small plastic container in her hand. “It's not a problem. We'll take a cab. Oh, and Dr. Klein. I'll be coming as Clark Kent.”