Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49197 01/20/08 11:59 AM
cp33 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Wow Tank, that was beautiful. Really very sweet and tender.

#49198 01/20/08 01:20 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
That was lovely. When I saw the title, I immediately thought that it was referring to Clark, and to how he has a hero's heart. When you showed us Clark's thoughts as he sat by his wife's bedside, I was even more certain that the hero's heart belonged to him. Because undoubtedly Clark's caring for other people makes him a true hero at heart.

But you fooled me. And it was perfect. It was Lois who had the true hero's heart:

People often shouted accolades at him, and called him a hero. But he was no hero. He had unbelievable advantages over normal folks and he only did what anyone would do given the great gifts he'd been given. People like the police, firemen, and rescue workers were the real heroes. They went to work everyday knowing that they could risk serious injury or death, yet they went anyway. The never wavered in their purpose or in the doing of what they saw as their duty.

His wife was like that. She saw herself as someone who was charged with shining the light of truth onto crime and injustice. If in the commission of that charge she had to place herself at risk, she never hesitated. She could sit on the sidelines and wait for stories to fall into her lap like so many others in their profession did. But she wouldn't. She knew how important it was to expose the evil in the city, and by doing so, help put an end to it. She knew that she fought for a cause bigger than one person, bigger than herself. In every sense of the word, she was a hero.

She had a hero's heart.
Your point is that Clark isn't risking his own safety as he is going after villains and helping out at disaster sites. Lois, however, is constantly risking life and limb in her own fight for truth and justice. That is an observation that bears repeating: Lois is, in every sense of the word, a hero.

In all fairness, Clark is a great hero too. And not because he risks his life, because he rarely does. No, he is a great hero because he chooses to use his amazing powers to do good. He could so easily have used them to subjugate humanity and to help himself to the world's riches.

Of course, Lois helps him be this amazing hero, because she believes in his ability and willingness to do good. I love the idea that Clark is Superman thanks to Lois. (Of course... huge thanks must go to the Kents, too. And to Jor-El and Lara, come to think of it.)

Anyway, Lois is a hero. And so is Clark. They are heroes together.

Ann

Oh, P.S., Tank. I always love stories that acknowledge Clark's love for Lois. This one certainly did that, so once again, thank you!

#49199 01/20/08 04:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tank, I think your getting soft in your 'retired' years, but you still have the right stuff. That was a fabulous story.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#49200 01/20/08 04:29 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Very nicely written. Of course, being set after the fourth season, you weren't able to give her your signature haircut. <sigh> Sometimes I miss the predictable things.

Elisabeth

#49201 01/20/08 05:01 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Man, you have not been nice to Lois lately. Still, this is a beautifully written piece. You hit on the thing that I think makes Lois so attractive to Clark/Superman: that she has just as much passion about making the world a better place as he does.

I also like how they have come to a place in their marriage where Clark accepts that Lois will be in danger and he can't always be there. Of course it still scares him, but at least he isn't panicing and trying to end things, or trying to convince her to take fewer risks. They really do understand eachother in this one. So sweet. smile

#49202 01/21/08 03:02 AM
Columnist
Columnist
People like the police, firemen, and rescue workers were the real heroes. They went to work everyday knowing that they could risk serious injury or death, yet they went anyway.
I like Clark's ( or your) definition of a hero here.
He's just a man who has unbelievable advantages over normal folks. Although I'm not sure if everyone would do what he does, if they had his ''great gifts''.

Anyway, it's sweet of him to think that Lois is the one with a real hero's heart.

-Camy

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard