Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I mentioned in the comment thread for part 1 that I was going to slap canon in the face and stick the space rats episode in season 1. I decided it wasn't really necessary, so I cut the reference out. Just an FYI.

This will be my last post until 1/15. I have some RL due dates coming up and I won't be online much for a few days. Yarg.

Anyway, without further ado...

Last time:

Lois rolled her eyes and plopped into her chair. What was she going to do? The double fudge crunch bar lay partially-eaten on her desk. She took a big bite and glanced up at the television screen. Superman was still hard at work in Japan. He should know about what's happened. As soon as he got back, Lois resolved to find a way to tell him. She glanced at her partner's desk. Empty. Could she trust Clark? He would want her to report the kid to Henderson too, but she knew how to manipulate Clark. He'd go along with her plan of secrecy in the end. He could probably get in touch with Superman sooner too.

The phone rang. Maybe it was Clark? She answered, only to be on the receiving end of a very angry Bill Henderson.

And now...

"Mind telling me why I have one of Metropolis' most prominent citizens lying in a coma and your fingerprints all over the assault weapon? I'd have you in cuffs now, Lane, but so help me I'm giving you one chance. What happened down there?"

So Lex was alive. She realized with a start that she hadn't even bothered to check. What kind of person was she? "And Tempus?"

"What?"

"The other man, how is he?"

"What other man? There wasn't anyone else there, Lois. Are you saying you weren't the one who bludgeoned Lex with that crowbar? Who's Tempus?"

Tempus was gone. Did he have the time machine? "Was there anything in the warehouse? Anything out of the ordinary?"

"You're asking me? I don't know. Some empty crates. Listen, I'm not going to answer any more questions until I get mine answered. Got that? I don't think you realize how bad this looks. You could be in serious trouble here."

"I know. I appreciate your consideration, Bill. I do. Listen, I know you've got to investigate this, I know it's a big deal. But Lex isn't who you think he is and I need time to prove it. What happened at that warehouse, it's tied up with a plan to destroy Superman." That much was true.

"Why would Lex Luthor, a leading business man and the city's most prominent philanthropist to boot, want to kill Superman? Aren't you dating the guy?"

Lois rolled her eyes. Did everyone in this city read those gossip rags? "Let's just say I'm in a position to realize there's a lot more going on with him than people know, Bill. Give me time and I may be able to bring you The Boss."

"You're kidding. You really think Luthor has dealings with The Boss?"

Lois didn't respond. Bill would probably think she'd really lost it if she told him the truth.

"Okay. I can't promise anything. I'm going to have the FBI on my back if I sit on this one too long."

"Thanks, Bill!"

"Just get me something good, Lane." The phone clicked and Lois replaced the receiver.

---

Lois held Kal's hand tightly in her own as she led him back to her apartment. She felt so exposed, standing in the middle of the city with him. Like at any moment an FBI agent or kryptonite-wielding thug or Lex Luthor himself was going to come rushing at her and rip him away. She'd considered carrying him, but Kal proved to be much heavier than his size would suggest. Probably something to do with being alien.

For his part, Kal took in the city sights blithely. The thick crowds that gathered at intersections bothered him a bit, but otherwise he loved to bask in the towering skyscrapers and myriad of people who dotted the streets. Occasionally he'd point to a pigeon and look up at Lois with a smile, but he hadn't tried to say anything since he'd been at her desk.

Thank goodness, Lois thought as she reached her apartment door. But risking Kal's exposure in the middle of the world's largest newspaper wasn't something she planned to try again. She needed to get in touch with Superman.

The door clicked open and she gestured Kal inward. "This is my place," she said. She pointed at her couches. "Why don't you go have a seat."

Kal pointed at the couches as well. He murmured something that vaguely ended in "have a seat."

Lois rolled her eyes and walked over to one couch. With a flourish, she sat on it.

He didn't follow her. "Lois home?" He gave the apartment a slow sweep.

Had Perry taught him the word 'home'? "Yes, this is my home."

Kal made his way over to the couch and perched on the end of one cushion. Suddenly, his eyes welled up with tears.

"Oh no, no. Don't cry!" She took one of his hands in her own and wiped at his eyes with the other. "My couches aren't that bad are they?" He just snuffled. "What's wrong, kiddo? Gosh I wish you could speak English. What's the matter?" She tried to pull him into a hug, but he jerked away, wailing a little louder.

She stood up instead and started towards the kitchen. "Are you hungry? I can make something. Well, not really. Maybe a sandwich?"

His eyes had followed her to the kitchen, still watery.

"Do you need to use the bathroom? Um, you know." She gestured vaguely downwards. No response, just more tears. "What was I thinking." She approached him again, stopping behind the couch. "I'm no good with kids. I should just turn you over to Henderson and let the police take care of you. Find you some nice foster parents until I can track down that time machine." Her voice wavered a bit on those last words. How was she supposed to find a time machine? Even a needle in a haystack you knew had to actually exist. What if Tempus had fled this time period altogether? Did Superman have a time machine?

She looked down at Kal. Now probably wasn't the time to ask. He looked back at her, opening his mouth to speak, then shutting it again. His stare was so intense, she thought she'd cry herself if he kept it up.

"Home." The word came out slow and his eyes tried to convey the rest of his meaning.

"Home," Lois repeated.

"Kal home."

"Oh!" Was he homesick? Did he want to go home? "I understand, I know." She came around to the front of the couch and sat beside him, wrapping her arms around his small frame. He didn't fight this time. How hard it must be, to be ripped from everyone you know at such a young age. And for him it must be doubly traumatic, to suddenly find yourself on another world, where everyone spoke a different language and had habits so unlike your own. "I promise you I'm going to try to get you home."

The phone rang and Kal jerked. He looked around the room. "Hello?" he called. It rang again as Lois pulled away to answer it.

"Hello?" she said into the receiver, watching as Kal stared after her.

"Lois? It's Clark."

"Clark!" Kal must have overheard. "Clark," he said again, pointing at himself.