Print Thread
#49059 01/09/08 03:42 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Okay, now I understand. Clark/Superman is still here, and the kid has been brought here from an alternate dimension or another universe (I think). I thought that if the kid was here, then the adult Clark/Superman would have disappeared and been replaced with the kid.

Anyway, it was really funny to see the kid from Krypton - is Krypton still intact in the kid's universe? - interact with Perry. The kid recognized Elvis! Talk about conquering Perry's heart.

Well! It's going to be interesting to see Clark meet a very young version of himself. So Lois is going to be Superman's mom (for a little while) and Clark is going to become the father of himself?

I'm really, really interested in seeing how this will play out!

Ann

#49060 01/09/08 04:17 PM
Columnist
Columnist
My take on this is that this baby "Clark" is from another time and so the Clark Lois knows is getting ready to come in and see himself as a toddler.

Can't wait to see how fast you get Martha here! wink

#49061 01/09/08 04:47 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Yep. That's what I got too - instead of trying to kill baby CK before M/J find him in L/C continuity, Lex/Tempus bring the 4yo, newly arrived Kal-El to the present before M/J found him.

Too bad Supes is halfway around the world frown .

Can't wait to see what happens!
Carol

#49062 01/09/08 06:02 PM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
"Can you say 'chief'?"
huh

~•~
#49063 01/09/08 06:34 PM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
More FDK later

Temp paradoxons. If he gets back again in time to grow up as Clark, he would be there to be Superman in the present.

Otherwise, Lois wouldn´t remember either.

See Back to the Future for instance.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#49064 01/09/08 06:48 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
This suggests that two versions of the same person from the same universe, Clark Superman Kent, is physically present in the same time frame. A four-year-old Kal-El is going to meet and perhaps shake hands with his tweny-nine-year-old self. Back when I was reading science fiction, I was often told that two differently-aged versions of the same person can't exist in the same time frame.

Not that you have to obey any of these rules, Mercy. After all, what do those science fiction people know about time travel anyway? For that matter, what does anyone? To my knowledge, no one has ever traveled back in time in real life, or jumped ahead in time, either. I'm fine with you making your own rules, as long as I understand what your rules are. I didn't at first, which is why I was confused.

Ah, but let's get on with the story, shall we? smile

Ann

#49065 01/09/08 07:05 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Well, they do in canon...

Clark and Lois go back in time in TF and baby CK is there - Clark even holds him at one point and takes him back to the spacecraft.

Maybe it's different because it's back in time instead of forward...?

However, if the little CK doesn't get back to his own time, before long our CK will start to disappear a la Marty in Back to the Future or even Clark in TF because the past has been changed too much. How long that window is... well, that's up to our author I suppose smile .
Carol

#49066 01/09/08 08:44 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I have to admit that one thing still confuses me. If this kid is really, truly Clark himself - Clark snatched from his own childhood and dumped in the time frame when he is an adult - then why doesn't he speak English? Surely "our" Clark did that, when he was four years old.

Still a bit confused, I guess. dizzy Ah, but that is what a good story is supposed to do - first confuse you, then enlighten you. smile

Ann

#49067 01/09/08 09:09 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
From the author's note in part 1:
"For the purposes of this story, Clark came to earth at about age 4, Green Green Glow of Home never happened, and Clark never lost his spaceship. "
C

#49068 01/10/08 03:33 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Woops. Meant to comment in this FDK. Loving this story Mercy!

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#49069 01/10/08 06:16 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Please ignore. (browser cache and post requests don`t mix)

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#49070 01/10/08 08:18 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Very fun story so far. As for the time travel thing... I tend to just ignore any niggling questions in the back of my head and enjoy the story. One question though: Is this going to be anything like that one movie called "The Kid"?

#49071 01/10/08 10:34 AM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
From the author's note in part 1:
"For the purposes of this story, Clark came to earth at about age 4, Green Green Glow of Home never happened, and Clark never lost his spaceship. "
Ooops! Yes, Missy did say that. Shame on me for not remembering. Thanks for pointing it out, Carol.

Ann

#49072 01/10/08 11:38 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Is it too early to beg for the next part?

Should someone be calling Martha?!

#49073 01/10/08 02:36 PM
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lovin' it and I can hardly wait for part 3.

My take on it is that little Clark was already found by Martha and Jonathan (hence the t-shirt/jeans and the knowledge of Elvis), but he hasn't been here long enough to have picked up on the entire language yet.

It'll be interesting to see whether Clark has any memory of the nice, dark-haired lady that saved him from the bad men when he was little. LOL - no wonder he had a crush on Lois from the moment he saw her! What an imprint!

BJ

Edited: fixed nasty syntax error. grumble

#49074 01/10/08 04:38 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wowza, thanks for all the feedback!

Okay, now I understand. Clark/Superman is still here, and the kid has been brought here from an alternate dimension or another universe (I think). I thought that if the kid was here, then the adult Clark/Superman would have disappeared and been replaced with the kid.
Yeah, I'm going for what cp33 and carolm said--little Clark is from this universe, just brought forward in time. Any suggestions for how I could make that more clear?

Can't wait to see how fast you get Martha here! wink
wink

Yep. That's what I got too - instead of trying to kill baby CK before M/J find him in L/C continuity, Lex/Tempus bring the 4yo, newly arrived Kal-El to the present before M/J found him.
Yes, that's basically what I'm going for. Lois doesn't know when/where L/T grabbed Kal from, but it was from when he was a kid, so she's assuming he was taken from Krypton.

"Can you say 'chief'?"
I love poking at Perry. He's such a lovable teddy bear, once you get under that gruff grizzly exterior. smile

Temp paradoxons. If he gets back again in time to grow up as Clark, he would be there to be Superman in the present.

Otherwise, Lois wouldn´t remember either.

See Back to the Future for instance.
Man, I love that you mentioned Back to the Future. I watched those movies so much when I was little (the first came out the year I was born). I could probably repeat the whole script, and so could my parents--though I doubt they are happy about that fact. goofy

There will be more talk on the consequences of time travel in future parts.

Not that you have to obey any of these rules, Mercy. After all, what do those science fiction people know about time travel anyway? For that matter, what does anyone? To my knowledge, no one has ever traveled back in time in real life, or jumped ahead in time, either. I'm fine with you making your own rules, as long as I understand what your rules are. I didn't at first, which is why I was confused.

Ah, but let's get on with the story, shall we?
Yeah, if I let the physicist in me tear into this story, there would be nothing left. Sometimes the best way to handle the bullets of time travel is to just duck 'em.

Well, they do in canon...

Clark and Lois go back in time in TF and baby CK is there - Clark even holds him at one point and takes him back to the spacecraft.
That's the precedent I'm basing this on. smile

Woops. Meant to comment in this FDK. Loving this story Mercy!
Thanks steph!

Very fun story so far. As for the time travel thing... I tend to just ignore any niggling questions in the back of my head and enjoy the story. One question though: Is this going to be anything like that one movie called "The Kid"?
Ha, no, it's not like that movie. I had to imdb it to see what you were talking about. Basically, I made Kal come to earth at an older age so that I could play with the idea of an alien child thrust into our world. Add in Lois Lane--notoriously not a kid person--and things are bound to get interesting!

I called the story "The Kid" because that's what everyone (er, all the fanboys) were calling Jason in Superman Returns when filming first started an Lois was seen toting a small child. Back before people knew she was supposed to be a mommy. (And even after--he wasn't very popular.)

Is it too early to beg for the next part?

Should someone be calling Martha?!
Posted! But no Martha yet, sorry. angel-devil

My take on it is that little Clark was already found by Martha and Jonathan (hence the t-shirt/jeans and the knowledge of Elvis), but he hasn't been here long enough to have picked up on the entire language yet.
Exactly!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard