Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
You posted! Even though you've had a crazy last few weeks you still managed to get this up!

I really like how you delved into Clark's feelings in this part. I loved the flashback with him and Lois. It makes me feel that he's really starting to realize what he's missing by not having a real life. I am curious as to how you'll fix all this. Lois and Clark will end up back together in the end (Right?). But how will it work with Clark not legally existing anymore? And what's going to happen to John?

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I like this part. You are right, the fact that Clark isn't "Clark Kent" anymore is going to cause them trouble. Claearly Lois wants him. Well, I'm sure I've read fanfics where Lois and Clark have moved away and started over with altogether new identities. If Clark had told Lois that he was physically alive after being shot, even though his civilian identity had been murdered, then he and Lois could have gone for a complete makeover - Charlie King and Lola Dane, new arrivals in, say, Cincinnati. Now such a transition will be so much harder.

Well, I liked the insight into Clark's melancholy thoughts. You do make us feel how very, very lonely he really is. It was quite poignant to read the beginning of this, when Clark was thinking back on a dinner date that he and Lois had had a week before he was shot. Now the promises that that dinner date seemed to hold have evaporated like the aroma of whatever they ate that night. It does feel as if all doors are closed around him, and he will be forced to keep living a life of loneliness. It's impossible not to feel sorry for Clark.

I'm still wondering about something, however. My impression was that Clark was moderately okay during those ten years when Lois was going to pieces because she thought that Clark was dead. It was as if Clark had told himself that his life with Lois was over, so it was useless to dwell on the possibility that things might have been different between them. Now, however, he is thinking of Lois all the time, and he misses her terribly.

You have created the feeling that everything is too late.

[Linked Image]

I don't think that you are going to leave Clark to drown in his sorrows. One way or another you are going to make Clark and Lois find their way back to each other. It is going to be interesting to see how it will happen. Will Clark Kent somehow be resurrected? Or is he going to be transformed into Charlie King? Will Lois marry Clark Kent or Charlie King? Will her own name be Lois or Lola? Will I ever understand Clark's reasons for behaving like he did? And will he understand it himself?

Maybe not. I'm not sure that most of us can understand ourselves.

Ann

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Thanks for the great feedback, Beth and Ann!

I'm glad I brought out the loneliness that Clark is feeling so well. It's important to me as in the end I think it will be/is important to Lois. Given how much she suffered due to Clark's lie, it seems like in order to forgive Clark she needs to see that he suffered as well. It makes it clearer that whatever reasons Clark had, however misguided they may have been, they were likely not 100% selfish.

I have actually gotten a fair amount of writing done while I'm away, so hope to post something within a few days of getting home (it still needs a fair amount of polishing and I'm not sure it's finished yet and I'm not sure how much more writing time I'll have) and I have found the solution for the Clark/Charlie, Lois/Lola issue, I think. (I guess you will tell me if I fail.)

Also, you will see the importance of John and where he ends up. I have to say, I haven't mentioned much on this before as up until this week I was intending for Lois to end up with John. I wanted a happy ending, and hadn't yet determined what that would be for Clark, but still thought it was more realistic for Lois to go elsewhere. But now that I'm closer to the end, I've dashed that (as you thought I'd be doing anyway). I hope I've handled the John thing well as I really like him as a character. I haven't written nearly as much about him as I was intending, but he has a very full character in my mind and he's a very good guy.

Ann, I am hoping that it is my slowness in posting (and thus vague memories of earlier chapters) that makes you think that Clark was relatively okay during the years they were apart, as I'm not sure what else to do to make it clear he was not. During those years, up until the time she moved to San Diego, Clark spent most of his free time watching Lois and then once she moved and he didn't know where she was, he spent most of his time looking for her. Overall, he's had a pretty sad existence - just being Superman and trying to learn as much about Lois' life as possible when she won't talk to him.

I have also given a lot of thought to the challenge you gave me awhile ago of explaining why Clark didn't tell Lois he was Superman. I'm not sure I'm going to do this to your liking. I am at a point where I feel like actually a lot of the groundwork has been set and not much more is needed (for me, anyway). But I think it requires remembering that Clark is essentially human. He makes mistakes and is a result of his previous life experiences (he has the same baggage as everyone else).

Well, I'll leave the rest up to my post - I imagine I'm close to the end now - either 2 or 3 chapters left in total. But, then again, I foolishly thought this would only be 3-5 chapters when I started (I know, I was completely delusional to think I could solve this problem that quickly), so perhaps once I start writing the characters will take this someplace different than I'm currently thinking.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard