Chapter Eight

It was very early, but Lois had already arrived to the nearly empty newsroom. After a while, Jimmy arrived and approached her.

“Good morning Lois, did you rest?” Jimmy asked.

“I slept perfectly.” She smiled at him.

“Hey, have you seen CK? I called him last night but he didn’t answer,” Jimmy asked worried.

“Might still be working as a farmer in Smallville,” Lois replied nonchalantly while making herself a cup of coffee.

“No, Perry told me CK called saying he was back,” he responded.

A reported who arrived to have some coffee too overheard their conversation and said “I saw him late last night, he was walking by himself; he seemed sad”.

“The city is dangerous at night; I hope he’s okay,” Jimmy said. At that moment, Lois looked up at him.

“I’m calling the hospitals just in case they checked Clark in last night, Jimmy you call his apartment,” she walked to her desk and glanced up again at Jimmy who looked at her in surprise.

“What?”

Jimmy smiled “It’s the first time you call him by his name and not Kent” he told Lois.

“That’s silly, that doesn’t mean anything,” Lois took the receiver and began dialing, just to distract herself from what Jimmy said.

After an hour, Jimmy walked to Lois’s desk. “He’s not at his apartment,” he said.

Lois looked frustrated. “I’ve called every hospital, none has been signed in with the name of Clark Kent. Where is he?” She put her elbow on her desk and a hand on her head.

At that moment, the elevator doors opened and Clark stepped out. Jimmy went directly to him.

“CK, are you all right?”

When Lois heard him, she looked up. Once she saw Clark, she let out a sigh. <Thank god>

“Yeah, I had just a rough night, this morning I took an early walk,” Clark replied.

“You had us very worried,” Jimmy seemed nervous.

“It’s OK, let’s get to work.” Clark walked to his desk ready to work and be invisible again.

At the end of the day, he sat up and gathered his things ready to head home when a voice made him tremble.

“First you wouldn’t even say ‘Hi’, now you won’t say ‘Good Bye’” said Lois solemnly, but without yelling.

“Hi--you were busy and I didn’t want to bother you, not then and not now so good bye,” he said it as calmly as he could and left.

Lois stood there watching him leave <What’s wrong with him? He is acting strange> But the thought didn’t last very long. She remembered it was time to go home and get dressed for her date with Lex.

That night after the theater, Luthor invited her to dinner, and to a walk around the city; he hugged her and kissed her constantly; she felt good. They were walking down a street when they saw a man go down his apartment stairs. He turned in their direction with downcast eyes. Lois recognized him--it was Clark.

“Well, good evening, Mr. Kent,” Luthor said.

Clark looked up. When he saw Lois in Luthor’s embrace he just wanted to turn around and run away.

“It’s an honor to find a reporter at this time at night,” Lex said sarcastically.

“I can’t say the same for you, Luthor. Have you planned your next murder?” Clark asked, looking at him straight in the eyes as if indifferent to Lois’ presence.

“I thought you knew better than that, Kent. Well, appearances can be deceiving,” Luthor said, resuming his walk with Lois.

“Takes a thief to know another,” Clark retorted defiantly as they walked off.

Luthor was about to answer but Lois stopped him and whispering, “Come on.” Luthor kissed her and continued walking. She turned around with a harsh look aimed at Clark.

Clark watched her go.

tbc.....

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.