#47875 11/01/07 05:43 PM
J
JDG Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
J
blush

Perry: Jimmy, do you know what a man needs at a time like this?
Jimmy: A baseball bat and an alibi?
Church of Metropolis
#47876 11/01/07 09:23 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sorry, I saw all this potential story space and I couldn't resist...

Delete - Duplicate Post
by Mercy

Lois let out a faint, high-pitched mewl of frustration and slammed her thumb on the delete key. Some days words flowed like wine in Rome, she thought, and then there were days like today. She glanced up at the clock. Still two hours 'til deadline. Plenty of time.

Mostly, when she couldn't put stories to words, it was because Perry had assigned her the latest 'dog show' level piece and in every other line she wanted to insert some comment about how insipid you'd have to be to read this kind of article during those precious few minutes in the morning when your biggest responsibility is to procure a newspaper and a coffee.

Seriously, how was there a market for such drabble?

But this time. No, this time she had the opposite problem. Her and Clark's latest assignment had been so engrossing, so fascinating and multi-faceted she just didn't know where to begin. Part of her wanted to present the facts in the same order she learned them--tip by tip. But then, didn't it flow better to go in the chronological order of the events themselves?

She had been composing an outline while she thought, but this too faced the wrath of the delete key.

"Something wrong?"

Lois jumped and favored Clark with a glower for sneaking up on her.

He put up his hands in mock surrender. "Hey, I'm sure the keyboard had it coming."

She rolled her eyes, ire forgotten, and turned back to the screen. "I just can't flesh out what I want to convey." In truth, part of her frustration stemmed from the fact that for once, she felt she was the one not keeping up her end of the partnership. Usually Kent was the one to disappear during crunch time, with one lame excuse or another, but he'd had his half of the story in to Perry for at least two hours now.

"I need inspiration." She stood up, grabbing her coat and throwing it on. "Come on, you're taking me out to lunch. There's a new restaurant down the street. A deli called 'The Duplicate Post'. I've been meaning to check it out, but I always skip right past it on my way home."

Clark's eyes had lit up. "So going out with me gives you inspiration?"

Lois grinned. "Nah, you're just a pleasant way to pass the time."

"Then what's your inspiration?" He followed her to the elevators.

"Last minute panic!"

---

Inspired by this Calvin and Hobbes:

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard