Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Gonna start the folder and come back!

I know this is quite a stretch from the Superman mythos, so I'd really appreciate your thoughts on it.
I like's it! drool even if I can be frank.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes!

TEEEEJ

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Beautifully written. Most impressive. This is a splendid portrait of Clark Kent, the non-Kryptonian vampire. He really is a vampire and he really is Clark Kent, with all or most of Clark Kent's good qualities.

Except, of course, he needs blood to survive.

And he has killed three humans, though he vowed that he would never kill again.

But now Lois's scent fills his entire person with a red haze. Wow.

“You care to join the ranks of the living anytime today, Lois?”

Behind Perry White, the stranger cracked an odd, self deprecating smile, his teeth a blinding white.
Gaaaahh. Lois belongs to the ranks of the living. But for how long? When will she have a close encounter of the third kind with those blindingly white teeth?

Lois looked at him oddly, but with her scent so nearby, he had to fight to keep his eyeteeth from lengthening, to keep the bloodlust clear from his mind.
Wow.

Lois was looking at him curiously, blissfully unaware of how close she had come to death—how much she appealed to him. Her beauty hurt him; it was pure and unblemished and good, the opposite of himself. His eyes darkened as he thought of what might have been, or what could still occur. Her high-cut suit obscured her neck, but he knew it would be the same snowy white as the rest of her body. Just the thought of her lifeless body left him ashamed and aching.
<shudders>

He watched her go, a deep longing forming in his heart. She simply embodied life, everything denied to him.
Wow.

He had spent the day totally aware of her, of the way her heart raced when she spoke on the phone to what was obviously a source, the frantic way she'd scribbled notes, and above all, her scent, which called to him as no other human's had. It was a pleasure bordering on pain. It called to mind all the impulses he stifled: his hunger, and both his lust and bloodlust.

It called to mind his demonic nature.
And wow.

Fantastic, Laura! Splendidly written, too. Will your Clark hurt Lois? Will he kill her? I can't really believe that he will. But as for that overwhelming attraction that your Clark feels for Lois, something tells me that just maybe this should have been posted in the nfic folder.

Ann

Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, what can I do other than quote TJ here? This is a great beginning of an interesting story...and it IS October after all, so if that doesn't give you an excuse to wander from the mythos (IMHO) then nothing will wink .

Looking forward to more!

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Kerth
Kerth
2. Try to refrain from tasting Lois Lane
Intense, passionate writing! I'd love it if you strayed into the nfic folder for a section, though! thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
Absolutely love the premise and looking fwd to more parts. CK is *our* Clark.. even if he's a vampire with 3 humans under his belt. wink

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Top Banana
Top Banana
As I have stated before... I love Vampires.
Something about them is sexy as hell. smile eek

I love the premise of this story as well. A very different AU than we are used to. I love things that are different like this so I am excited about this story!

I recently got back into them after reading Twilight as well. If you are looking for something a bit more mature you should try JR Ward's Brotherhood series. It has a different take on Vampires that I love. smile If you are interested I can get you some e-books. laugh

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Ya know, I do this thing, where I streak through a story, a quick soak trying to get a feel for it, see if I like it or not, and then I'll post a quick blurb about liking it.

Then I go back and I read the story...really read it and find all the cool nuance and imagery that just deserves a long slow contemplation.

So far, here's my favorite line...
For a moment he fought against something deep inside him, a primal, instinctive longing to lunge.
Is it weird that I find that line scary and sexy all at once? confused The rest I'll put in order story-wise, but I wanted to highlight that one up there....just drool / eek worthy drool

“I work alone, anyway,” he told Perry, quite firmly.

Lois’ head jerked up at this. The man didn’t want to be mentored by her? Was he insane? Did he even know who she was?
HA!LOL! and then poor Lois, getting SO confused that he doesn't WANT to partner with her, must be something wrong with her goofy

His musings were interrupted by a sudden presence at his desk, and the woman very nearly startled him.

Impressive.
HA! now SHE'S got HIM off balance! Vampy senses hard to employ around the gal of his dreams<snork!>

How she would run if she had any inkling of the dark, dangerous thoughts in his mind
Run, trip, fall, stumble along on high heels, pausing to look behind her when suddenly there he is in front of her <SHRIEK!!!> LOL! too many horror movies as a kid...

And every murder victim recently, unbeknownst to the police, was a vampire.

Clark was not used to feeling hunted.
Wow, turnabout on the premise too. Like I said before...I like's it! clap

Keep it coming please.

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Blogger
Blogger
Oh wow.... that was...I don't think Webster has words for how truly gifted you are. I loved it! Not traditional in any sense of the word but perfect for this time of year. I can't wait to read more!!! smile1

Here…poke that.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Just wanted to let you know that it doesn't really seem like my cup of tea but you'll get no stones thrown here for departing from mythos!

Good luck!
Carol

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
A couple of author's notes that would have ruined the surprise had I posted up there...
Which is WHY there is a Wham warning thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use of this thread is by no means compulsory!
Please play nice with those of us who do not approve of vampires, vampire stories or turning Clark Kent in killer.

And don't bother with the "I had no choice" line, that's the excuse cannibals use.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
True Framework... but I don't think anything in Laura story constituted a WHAM entry. It was just merely her posting at the end to tell us more about what she has planned now that we know it is a vampire story.

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by jojo_da_crow:
but I don't think anything in Laura story constituted a WHAM entry.
'broken toys'
Clark has been turned into the worst sort of scum, and in such a way that it can't be fixed and you don't think that needs a wham warning?

I don't care that the author wants to write a vampire tale, that is her right. all I ask is a warning so I don't read it.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
I could go into a lot more detail but I don't really want to start any arguments and take this off topic. It wasn't my intention with the first comment to start anything.

I will add that I don't think most of us see Clark as the worst sort of scum imaginable in this fic. As is the case with many vampire stories, they are a victim of circumstance who are trying to make up for their sins. A sin they didn't ask for and couldn't control.

I guess it is all how you look on the myth of vampires and how you view them. I suppose I could see how it would be a big shock for people who are afraid or disgusted by them.

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
all I ask is a warning so I don't read it.
I would think that once you get to a part that you know the story isn't for you...you stop reading it. You couldn't have asked a moderator to ask Laura NICELY to put up a warning? You had to post a screaming demand instead? How immature and rude.

Laura, the story rocks and it's perfect for the season. Please don't let rude demands discourage you from continuing.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I apologize for that, but honestly, I didn't see too much that deserved a wham. I guess Clark being a vampire is a bit of a shock, but since he's a *good* vampire, on the straight and narrow (as straight as it could be for a vampire. wink ) It hardly seemed necessary. I guess what I mean to say is that I viewed it simply as a small climax in the story. I apologize again for the inconvience that caused, but that being said, if it's the worst part of your day you're doing a-okay in life.

Clark has been turned into the worst sort of scum
As for that up there... he's still the same Clark Kent. He just has some fangs and a new diet. I'd hardly call him scum.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments! I'll be back a little later to comment when I have more time.

Laura

EDIT: Okay, I added a note at the top to tell everyone that if you're a little wary of fics that diverge completely from regular Superman canon to read the bottom author note. Hopefully that will help those who don't wish to read it.

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I would think that once you get to a part that you know the story isn't for you...you stop reading it.
As soon as I realized it was vampire fic, I hit backspace... no harm, no foul - and I likely won't give it a second thought except to remember whenever a new part is posted that I'm not reading it. huh

Laura - what I read of it was well written and intriguing, but I have no interest whatsoever in vampires so will be sitting this one out [as I mentioned above]!

Best of luck!
Carol

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
An interesting Elseworlds offering.

Being familiar with Buffy, and Angel, (though not a fan); and having seen the old Forever Knight series as well as the new Moonlight one, and the varied assortment of vamps in the Dreseden Files books, I can accept just about any variation you wish to provide.

It seems to me that there is no reason that vampires, like normal people, can be either good guys or bad guys in general.

There is one problem that I saw in your initial story post. You make the claim that vampires were benevolent, then go on to say they only kill a small percentage of humans. Huh? What am I missing here?

I can accept the vampire with a conscience who turns his back on killing people to get his sustenence and tries to make up for a past that he is ashamed off. But when feeding requires that you kill innocent humans, no matter how infrequently, therein lies the contradiction. As a race, such creatures can never be called benevolent.

Even given the attitude that vampires might think of themselves as the 'top of the food chain', it doesn't excuse their actions from a human standpoint. After all, I doubt that cattle would consider us benevolent as their are being led off to the slaughter house.

Hopefully, as this story progresses it will better define for us exactly who and what your vampire race is and how they function in the rest of the world. And more importantly, how Clark fits in with both that world, and the human one he has chosen to live in.

Bottom line, (at least from what you've inferred)vampires are still killers, even if they be reluctant ones. Someone who goes around killing killers isn't necessarily on the side of right, but from a human viewpoint, the guy ain't all bad either.

Tank (who thinks this fic could be very entertaining, but feels that the question of who is and isn't a sympathetic character will be interesting to watch unfold)

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by shimauma:
I would think that once you get to a part that you know the story isn't for you...you stop reading it. You couldn't have asked a moderator to ask Laura NICELY to put up a warning? You had to post a screaming demand instead? How immature and rude.

Laura, the story rocks and it's perfect for the season. Please don't let rude demands discourage you from continuing.
The story is well written. And I never said she should not write it. I was NOT trying to stop her from writing it or you from reading it.

I have some other comment about points that have been raised. But I feel I should not reply in this thread..

So
other comments

Framework4
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I'm a complete sucker for all that stuff. Vampires, werewolves...bring 'em on. laugh And it's nice, too, every now and then, to read something different. A little darker, a little more out there...

Anyway, I was caught by your title, Laura, which sounds very mythical and even, dare I say it, romantic. laugh

I'm just off to bed, (I sat up too long watching Voyager episodes and it's now...ahem...4.36am) but I plan to get to this one first thing in the morning and I'll offer up some serious fdk then. For now, I'm really looking forward to this variation on a theme. wink

LabRat smile

PS - Well, considering I'm off to bed at 4.36 am perhaps not FIRST thing in the morning. Maybe even afternoon. <g> But certainly at some point tomorrow.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I guess this one was written by....Laura! Oh, wait a minute...

Well, I just loved this first segment, Laura! I can't quote lines because I'd be quoting most all of the story, but suffice it to say that I just adore your use of language. Every line is a lyrical treat and your descriptive narrative so evocative that it's easy to visualize events.

I loved Lois defending her right to work without a partner and then immediately becoming insulted that Clark didn't want to partner with her. LOL! Perfectly in character.

And talking of character...Clark may have been captivated by Lois, but I'm captivated by this version of him you're exploring, Laura. I was entranced and fascinated by the whole scene from his pov. The whole internal struggle was beautifully rendered and I see a lot of our Clark here, despite the differences, in that war between his nature and his desire to hold to something higher, more human - and humane.

1. Buy a briefcase
2. Try to refrain from tasting Lois Lane
3. Find whoever it was who was killing off vampires in Metropolis.
rotflol Couldn't resist quoting that one.

He was killing vampires, staking them in the heart and then shooting them in the head.
Oh oh. We're not heading for Vigilante!Lois are we? laugh That could be...unfortunate. wink

Well, I just enjoyed the heck out of this one, Laura, and I'm going to be eagerly awaiting part two. I already love the world you're creating. Obviously, I don't know what the rest of the story is going to be like, but it occurs to me that this part could easily be converted into one of those vampire romance novels that seem popular these days. Have you thought of trying to publish this one professionally?

There is one problem that I saw in your initial story post. You make the claim that vampires were benevolent, then go on to say they only kill a small percentage of humans. Huh? What am I missing here?
That struck me, too, Tank. I don't know what Laura's take on it is - although I'd love to hear it - but I just took it as being Clark in deep denial about how he and his friends live their lives. He has enough disgust and guilt it seems about his nature - I guess he has to cling to some lie to get through the day. <G> Ergo, feeling that the vampires are benevolent to 'just' kill a few humans now and then, rather than doing it wholesale.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard