Enjoy the latest submission. smile I'm really thrilled at how many people are participating in this!

Lois was sitting in front of her computer. But she wasn’t working on her latest story. Instead, she was resting her chin on her hand and had a dreamy smile on her face. It was almost Halloween and she couldn’t wait to see what frippery the children would come up with this year. She sighed happily.

Clark got off the elevator and sauntered towards Lois. He put his arms around her and then kissed her cheek. “Aren’t you supposed to be typing up that story about the mayoral election fraud?”

Lois reached behind her and ran her hand through his hair. She jumped up and twirled towards him. “I had other things on my mind.” She gave him her best pouty lipped grin and kissed him on the cheek. “How’d the interview go?”

Clark nodded agreeably. “It went well. He was pretty shaken up over seeing that murder, but he’ll make a fine witness.”

As Lois sat back down, she said, “I remember watching him on TV when I was little.” She giggled. “I used to have the biggest crush on him.” She brightened a little bit and said, “Did you get to see any of the new musical? I can hardly wait till it opens.”

Clark plopped down on the edge of Lois’ desk. “Nope. Not a thing. Not even a song in the shower. Sorry.” Clark grinned. “I remember that show, too. I bet you were just all gaga.”

“Hmph!” Lois crossed her arms. “I was only eight or nine years old, Clark. Of course, I was gaga.” Then she added smugly, “Bet you were, too. He wasn’t the only one on the show, you know.”

Clark opened his mouth to respond when Perry came booming towards them. “Now, I gotta tell ya’... I don’t like it either, but it came from the big boss upstairs. The Planet is hosting a big Halloween to-do for charity. And he wants his two top reporters to be the hosts.” Lois frowned and started to protest. Perry waved his hands in front of him in a calm down motion. “Now honey, I tried to talk him out of it, but you know how stubborn Mr. D’Nomso is.”

“But Perry! You know how much I’ve been looking forward to this with the kids.”

“Well, now, honey, the party doesn’t start till 9:00 pm, so I’m sure you won’t miss a thing with the little ones.”

Clark rolled his eyes. “I guess we have to go all dressed-up, too, don’t we?”

“Well, uh, yeah... That’s the thing.” Then Perry chuckled and winked at Clark. “You could go as Superman. But that won’t work. You see, the theme has to do with the entertainment industry. And he wants the two of ya’ to match.”

Clark kept his face blank but couldn’t help but wonder if Perry knew about his alter ego. He knew if he asked what Perry meant that he’d just say, ‘What are ya’ talking about?’ Clark sighed and said, “Match?” Then a look of comprehension crossed his face. “Ah. You mean like Lucy and Desi or...”

Jimmy interrupted. “Man, I love Lucy.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Nice pun, Jimmy.”

Jimmy shrugged. “Huh? What pun?”

Perry grinned. “Yeah, like that. But it doesn’t necessarily have to be male and female. How about Laurel and Hardy?”

Jimmy nodded. “Kirk and Spock.”

Clark groaned, “Oh, Jimmy. Hmm... But Kirk and his conquest of the week might be good. How about Elaan of Troyius?” He waggled an eyebrow at Lois.

“In your dreams, Clark. How about Lois of New Troy?”

Jimmy shook his finger in comprehension. “Cute. That was cute, Lois.”

Clark pursed his lips thoughtfully. “Sonny and Cher. Lily and Herman. Carol and M...”

Jimmy spouted, “Hey! You two go as Lily and Herman and Jessica and I can go as Pugsley and Wednesday.”

At the same moment, Lois bemoaned, “Sonny and Cher. You’ve got to be kidding!” Then realizing what Jimmy said, she turned to him. “Munster, Jimmy. The Munsters.”

Jimmy shrugged. “Yeah. Lily and Herman and Pugsley and Wednesday.”

Perry rolled his eyes. “Never mind. I always liked George and Gracie. You’re smart enough to come off like Gracie, Lois.”

Lois patted her foot impatiently. “I’m not an actress, Perry. There is no way that I could act so stupidly innocent or innocently stupid... or... Oh, you know what I mean.”

Jimmy looked incredulous. “You want them to go as whales? I don’t get it.”

Perry, Lois, and Clark just looked at Jimmy steadily. Fortunately for Jimmy, someone yelled at him and he sulked off trying to figure out what he’d said.

Perry sighed, “Well, you two come up with something. Maybe Jimmy would like to see you as Morticia and Gomez.” He was laughing as he walked to his office.

Clark looked at Lois with frustration. “Well...”

“Well, what?”

“You’re good at this kind of thing. What... or who are we going as?”

Lois grumbled, “I a little bit confused at why you think I’d know what to do.”

Clark harrumphed. “And I’m a little bit peeved that we have to do this, but...” He threw up his hands.

~..~..~..~..~..~

One week later...

Lois walked around greeting the guests in a silky, sort of feathery looking “dress” that was purple and pink and blue. Her hair was big and long and if one more person said she looked sweet and innocent, she just might have to kill them. Clark, also in the same colors (fortunately in pants and shirt, though) approached Lois and handed her a glass.

Lois stared at the glass and looked at Clark with a pout. “Oh, that’s cute, Clark. That’s really cute. I cannot
believe that you talked me into this.” Then she pressed the full glass back into his hand. “Here you drink this. It’s more your style, farmboy.”

Clark chuckled. “It is?”

“Well, I’ve never milked a cow!” She giggled, “You really are cute in the get-up.”

“Hmm... And you’re pretty cute yourself. Everyone keeps asking if we’re going to ‘perform’.”

Lois laughed brightly. “Well, why not!”

Clark pointed, “Oh, look. The ‘big boss’ is motioning to us.”

When they approached Mr. D’nomso, he said, “Come on.” He motioned them to the front of the room. He clapped his hands. “Attention everyone! I just wanted to introduce our gracious hosts to you and thank them for this fabulous evening. And here they are... Lois and Clark. And I hear that they are going to perform for us!”

As applause erupted, the famous pair looked as if they wanted to hide. Instead, Lois shrugged and sang, “I’m a little bit country!”

Clark looked at her like she’d lost her mind. She looked back as if to say, ‘You better do your part, buster.’ Clark swallowed hard and warbled, “I’m a little bit rock’n’roll.”

Lois was getting into to this and gave the audience a huge smile. “I’m a little bit of Memphis and Nashville...”

“...with a little bit of Motown in my soul.” Clark was now mortified.

Lois looked at Clark and motioned to him to sing with her. “I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but I know I love it so.”

“I’m a little bit country!”

“And I’m a little bit rock’n’roll!”

They both grinned in embarrassment. Clark swallowed hard. “Say goodnight, Lois.”

“Wrong song for that, Clark.”

Clark sighed and whispered. “Say good night anyway.” Lois nodded in agreement.

They both smiled and waved at the crowd. “Good night everybody!”

~..~..~..~..~..~

May tomorrow be a perfect day.
May it find love and laughter along the way.
May God keep you in His tender care...
...’til he brings us together again.

FADE TO BLACK

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile