Chapter Six

Another day dawned in Metropolis; the streets were full of people and cars were stuck in traffic. Lois went to the Daily Planet intending to get another exclusive, this year the Pulitzer and Kerth would go to her and she’d have to work hard for that. Although, lately, she hadn’t felt at ease in the newsroom. Clark Kent wouldn’t stop watching her and following her everywhere; she still felt he was trying to ruin her and take her exclusives.

When she came out of the elevator and headed to her desk, her gaze fell, unknowingly on Clark Kent’s desk. When she saw it was empty she was relieved.

“Thankfully, he’s not here yet, I can work peacefully”, she said under her breath. Jimmy, who was passing by, heard her and went to her desk.

“He’s not here and he won’t come today,” he told her while handing over a file with the information she had requested.

“The farmboy decided to take a day off? Incredible,” Lois said, approaching his desk.

“It’s not like that, exactly, he called the chief and asked permission to have the morning free. According to Perry his voice didn’t sound quite right.”

Lois stood up and looked inquiringly at Jimmy. “What’s wrong, is he sick?”,

Jimmy stared at her and laughed. “If I didn’t know you, I would say you’re worried about Clark,” he said.

“Me? Worried about Kent?”, she said, dismayed.

“Yes, but don’t worry, I don’t think he’s sick. It seems that he went to Smallville,” he began walking beside Lois to her desk.

“Since he’s already gone, he should stay there and leave me alone--that way I won’t have to see him anymore,” Lois said, although she wasn’t so sure.

“If you say so...,” Jimmy replied in a low voice as he walked off.

She sat down, looking at a Superman picture. He was someone special, different from the rest of the men. Was he alone in this world? He might not have anyone, he might be in need of someone’s love, someone who could understand him. He might be in need of someone who could understand what he gave to the rest of the world.

And she…she needed someone to love her for who she was, someone who could understand that though she had a tough personality she could be sweet and caring once her trust was earned. She was sick of men playing with her, sick of being treated as if she were worthless. She didn’t want to go through what had happened to her parents.

She wanted to fall in love, to really know what love was, to give her body and soul and feel grateful to be loved, in a word, to be happy.

Lois was thinking about this and Superman when her telephone rang.

“Lois Lane,” she answered.

“Am I talking to the best reporter in the city and the most beautiful woman on the planet?” Luthor asked, seductively .

“Lex, what a nice surprise. Will you grant me the interview I’ve been wanting for so long?” she cut to the chase and so did he.

“I’ll grant you the interview if you give me the pleasure of having dinner with me”.

“Well, I..., ” she said, uncertain.

“Oh, come on, I know you have a lot of admirers but I presume to spend just a few minutes with you,” Lex said, trying to convince her.

“If anything, I am presuming to spend those minutes in the company of one of the world’s most attractive man” she said with conviction-- she was attracted to that man after all.

“Great, then my limousine will pick you up at your place at eight o’clock, you won’t regret it”. Luthor hung up and smiled. “You’ll be mine, Lois Lane,” he thought out loud as he smoked.

Meanwhile at the Planet, Lois thought, <A date with Lex Luthor plus, the exclusive. He’s very handsome and seems interested in me>. She smiled, perhaps if Superman was out of reach, he would be the man of her life. With that in mind she worked until it was time to go home and get dressed to her big date with one of the most admired men in Metropolis.

TBC....

Pisco and Ceviche ->100% PERUVIAN. Never doubt that.