Don’t Go Away
by coolgirl

“You have to prevent it, Clark. Knowing what you know about Luthor”.
“Maybe it's time to do more than that.”
“What is it, son?”
“Remember when you asked me what I wanted, when I first moved to Metropolis?
“Yes, I do.”
“I said I wanted a normal existence, to meet someone, raise a family, settle down. I know now that Lois is the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with.
“And you just figured this out? Dad and I have known from the first time you spoke about her.”
”Maybe I did too, but I couldn't let myself...”
“You love her?”
“Yes.”

Part 3 : I am powerless

“Mom?”

“Clark? What are you doin-”

“Mom” he said feebly as he dropped the single duffel bag he was carrying and sank down to his knees.

“Clark!” she gasped, as Clark dropped down into a faint at the kitchen doorstep. “Jonathan! Get in here, quick!” she screamed, calling her husband, who was at the barn. Rushing over to Clark with a glass of water, she gently turned him around, removed his glasses and sprinkled water on his face. As he slowly came around, she squatted down on the floor, laid his head on her lap and made him sip the water.

“Slowly, honey! Are you okay?”

“Mom, Kryptonite cage. Escaped. Luthor. Can’t speak.” he gasped for breath.

“How did you get here?”

“Flew by plane. Saved just enough strength. Hurts all over.”

“Martha?” Jonathan called out as he entered the house.

“In the kitchen, Jonathan” she called back. Jonathan, who had rushed inside at his wife’s urgent tone, gasped as he saw Clark doubled-over and barely conscious.

“Kryptonite,” Martha said softly to him, combing Clark’s hair back from his face tenderly.

“Shall I put him to bed?” Jonathan asked her, as he bent over to maneuver Clark into sitting position.

“No dad! The sun,” Clark gasped.

“Yes Jonathan, let’s take him out. The sun did heal him faster last time.” Martha said, concerned.

-----------------------

A few hours later, Clark walked back into the house. Martha was preparing his favorite apple-pie with jam. Clark sat down in one of the chairs by the dining table and ran his hands over his hair smoothing them back.

Putting down the newspaper that he was reading, Jonathan asked, “How are you feeling, son?”

“Fine. Just not *super*. I don’t know how long it is going to take for the powers to come back or if they would even come back,” he replied. “Good riddance.” he muttered to himself.

“Son, we have been through this before. Normal for you is being *super*.”

“And a lot of good it has done me!” he said monotonously, picking up the newspaper Jonathan had put down, absent-mindedly. Looking at the date he asked, genuinely surprised, “Dad, you are reading day-before-yesterday’s newspaper!”

“Well… I know I didn’t tell you, but the Smallville Post editor died last month and they closed the paper down. So one of us have to go to Wichita once in two days to buy a couple of newspapers and circulate among ourselves. The storm last week has cut off all the power lines. We have registered a complaint. It is just a miracle that the telephone is still working.”

“Why didn’t you let me know?” Clark asked, still monotonously.

“It didn’t seem umm… important to mention with all that you are going through.”

Jonathan looked at Martha who was standing behind Clark. She rolled her eyes at him and then gently questioned Clark, “What is this Kryptonite cage, honey? Luthor tried to trap you in it?”

“He *trapped* me in it! I had no idea what I was walking into when he called me. I don’t know where he got the Kryptonite from, but he had me in this really effective cage. I almost died.”

Martha gasped and hugged her son, tears threatening to spill over, yet she restrained from crying. She needed to be strong now, for her son. He was still alive, and that was what mattered. And she still needed to know what had happened. Soon the entire story spilled out from Clark in bits and pieces.

“… and all the while I could hear the church orchestra, playing the wedding tunes. I knew I couldn’t be there when she did it, so I flew here. I needed to see you mom, and dad, even if it meant taking a plane.” he said. Then as an after-thought he added, “I even dreamt that she wouldn’t go through with it, actually.”

“She didn’t, Clark.” Martha said quietly. His head snapped up and he turned sharply to see her. Martha nodded.

“Lois called earlier…” she began to tell him about the phone call.

“So Perry did get there in time? They weren’t married? And Luthor is dead?” Clark exclaimed in disbelief, surprised at the turn of events.

“That’s what she said, honey.” Martha clarified.

“Good for her!” Clark snapped, and without another word, got up and left for his room. Martha tried to follow him, but Jonathan stopped her with a hand on her arm and shook his head. Martha gave him an exasperated look and went back to cooking.

“Let him be, Martha. At least he has *started* feeling something. Give him some time alone.”

The door of Clark’s room shut with a loud bang. Jonathan gave Martha a knowing look. Martha rolled her eyes at her husband, then with an amused smile, she said, “Sometimes being *normal* has advantages. You won’t have to replace that door!”

Jonathan chuckled.

------------------------

Clark sat down on his bed, relieved, yet hurt and more than a little angry.

“Perry stopped in time, eh? He shouldn’t have! She should have married that devil! She really should have!” he punched his pillow hard. Even without super-powers, the stitch in the seam gave in a little.

“And a wonderful life they’d have had together! (punch) Would love the *ordinary* man beneath the *Superman*, would she? (punch) Love me, now! (punch) I am just that now! (punch) Just ordinary! (punch)

The pillow burst with a bang and the feathers floated around him. Dejected and exhausted, he sat down.

“Love me, now,” he whispered brokenly.

TBC
(Still no beta!!!)
Let me know if I need one, okay?

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time