C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
WOOHOO!!!

Nice!!!

Great way to get around that 'permanently' thing!!! Now I just wish AltClark could have found his Lois - you even could have cut her hair...

Great ending, Tank!
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Clark?" Lois traced his lips with her finger. "If you ever have to fly off and chase after some flying dinosaurs again... "

"Yes?"

"Leave me on the ground."
ROFL! thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Whew, what a relief!

When I read the feedback on part one of this story, I was actually too scared to read part one itself. The situation that had been set up seemed too hopeless. What if Tank couldn't fix it? frown
Ahh, but he could!!! clap

Tank, I love your science and science fiction angle, and your use of both Doctor Kleins. This was priceless:

"Dimensional mechanics for dummies, please."
I'm sure that dimensional mechanics is not unknown to Dr. Klein - did you know that a current theory of the universe requires that it must have eleven dimensions? - but it may be harder for the good doctor to serve up the version for dummies! laugh

But whatever version of dimensional mechanics Dr. Klein was able to deliver, the good old mechanics of time travel device building, made possible by alt-Clark's photographic memory, brought Lois back!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Tank! sloppy

Ann

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Oh! Oh! I'm pretty sure I know the author on this one. (Oh, drat! It doesn't count.)

"God, how do women put up with that much hair?"
Some of us like it that way--thank you very much. I've done the hair down to my waist thing before and enjoyed it. /me grumbles, "Some men never learn."

"Where to, Lois?"

"A nice roomy brownstone on Hyperion Avenue. I just hope that it's dark enough that whoever lives there on this world won't notice this large circus contraption in their backyard until it's too late."

He gave her a weak chuckle. "Let's hope they're not too observant."
Good one!

"Clark?" Lois traced his lips with her finger. "If you ever have to fly off and chase after some flying dinosaurs again... "

"Yes?"

"Leave me on the ground."
Great ending--especially since he had wanted to do that all along.

I think your muse is definately back, Tank. (It is you; isn't it, Tank?)

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
<hugs Tank>

You did it! Yay! It was wonderful. I totally geeked out on all the sci-fi. <g>

A couple of favorite lines:

"Dimensional mechanics for dummies, please."

--------------

How did women deal with all that hair?
LOL - too funny. And your Dr. Klein was awesome!

Thanks for the fun story, Tank!

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You totally had in the palm of your hand, until they started building the time machine....

Lois may be on a different frequency than the rest of that universe, but the parts of the machine would definitely be 'in tune' with it's surroundings. So, it shouldn't have been able to make the trip...

Going back and looking it over again, I did notice that you skirted the whole arrival, so maybe you did think about that.

However, allowing my inner-geek to have free reign, I pondered this for a while and I have a possible solution.

The barrier, not able to resist Lois's body and resist the machine at the same time, thinned until couldn't thin any more and the momentum of the machine propelled Lois into our dimension, destroyed the time machine and ejecting it back into the alt-world. Upon seeing this alt-clark is guilt ridden and dies of a broken heart. At that point, he finally finds his Lois, dead these four years and they spend eternity together.

peep James peep

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
James! (I can't take him anywhere.)

Elisabeth
who is a little bit frightened that Tank might like that scenerio

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Thanks to all who commented on this. As I said, anything that gets Wendy back on the boards is good.

Thanks James for pointing out my little faux paus. I think I'll add a little something to 'fix' the problem you described when I get a chance. Nice catch.

Tank (who barely has time to read all the stuff on the boards, let alone write something)

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Upon seeing this alt-clark is guilt ridden and dies of a broken heart. At that point, he finally finds his Lois, dead these four years and they spend eternity together.
James!! What a splendid idea!

Have any of you read the medieval Celtic romantic tragedy of Tristan, a Cornish knight, and Iseult (or Isolde, a name which I prefer), an Irish princess? They fall in love but can't have each other, because Isolde is forced to marry a king. Tristan goes away, marries another woman, takes part in a war and gets seriously wounded. Before he dies, he wants to see the love of his life, Isolde, one more time, so he sends for her, asking her to come. He asks his wife to tell him if Isolde is coming, but the jealous woman informs him that Isolde will not come. So Tristan dies of a broken heart! I love it. Almost immediately afterwards Isolde arrives, finds Tristan dead, and she, too, dies of a broken heart!!! Isn't it, well, adorable?

Tristan and Isolde are not buried together, but their love is so strong that a blackberry bush, which grows between their graves, sends one root down into Tristan's grave and one root down into Isolde's grave, and so the lovers are reunited after death.

I couldn't find any good pictures of them dying together of broken hearts, so this image will have to do.

[Linked Image]

Ann

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Again, I thank James for pointing out a near-fatal flaw in my resolution to Wendy's challage.

In order to correct that I've added a few additional sentences to the scene at altKlein's lab.

I'm sorry, but I didn't take the mythically tragic route that some of you seemed to want. Just some additional dialog which hopefully allows Lois to get back home... safely?

Tank (who isn't above such a tragic senario, but feels it would be just too much work to put it in)

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
And it worked very well!

Lois frowned. "But how can this get me into my own dimension? I mean, isn't this made from materials of this world and so it won't pass through to my world?"

Klein smiled at her and nodded. "Very good, Ms. Lane, and yes you are absolutely right the vehicle can't pass through the barrier, but we still believe that you will." She looked skeptical. "Perhaps I can explain it best with a simple analogy. Remember when you were a child and you rode your sled down a snowy hill. What would happen if your sled's runners would suddenly hit a rock or half-hidden log?"

"I'd fall off."

"Not exactly. You'd fall forward. The momentum you would have built up would propel your body forward, most likely off the sled completely. This vehicle should work for you in much the same way. While you won't be building up an actual physical momentum, you will have gained a dimensional momentum. When the vehicle hits the barrier it will stop, but it's my belief that your momentum will catapult you into your dimension."
Good!

(And as for the dying of a broken heart - hey, I just meant that since Alt-Clark keeps doing all that grieving and grieving, you might relieve him of his grief by breaking his heart and sending him into his own "other dimension", where he will find himself encircled by the ethereal arms of Ghost-Lois... laugh )

But I'm really not complaining about the ending we got! It was great, Tank!

Ann

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard