The Wall that Divides Us – A Wendy and Tank Challenge - part two
By Tank

Previously...

He released Lois and clicked a button on his device. Immediately, a ferocious wind came out of nowhere.

“You wanna be careful -”

The rest of his words were lost to the sound of the wind. “What did you say?” Clark shouted back.

But his counterpart was already flying through the gap, which Clark realized was a lot closer than he’d imagined. In moving near his counterpart so Lois could hug him, he’d taken the two of them right up close to the gap.

The other Clark was through and already out of sight. And Lois was screaming, and somehow she was pulling away from him, or being pulled...

“Clark...!” He grabbed at her, or tried to, but he was being sucked towards the gap too and she was slipping from his arms and the force was way, way too powerful...

He made one last lunge, reaching out for her hand. But just as his fingers were about to close around hers there was a brilliant, blinding flash.

When he was able to see again, the shimmering that had been all around him was gone. And so was Lois.

AND NOW Part Two....

Clark hovered in shock as the bright flash that stole his wife faded, and he stared incomprehensibly at the seemingly endless blue of the sky. It was like some horrific nightmare. It couldn't have been real. His wife, his lover, his reason for living hadn't just been torn away from him forever. It hadn't happened.

Slowly, he became aware of pain in one of his fingers. He glanced down at the middle finger of his right hand and noticed that it was bleeding. How could his finger be bleeding? He didn't bleed.

Bringing the hand up closer to his face he noticed that the very tip of the finger had been neatly sliced off. It was the hand that had reached for Lois when she had been ripped away from him. Their fingertips had briefly touched, and then she was gone. The very end of his finger must have been on the wrong side of breach when it closed. Apparently he wasn't invulnerable to interdimensional walls. A quick flash of his heat vision cauterized the wound as he drifted wherever the wind decided to push him.

What was he going to do? The Clark from the other dimension had said that once he pressed the switch on the device that his Doctor Klein had come up with, the barrier between the alternate universes would be sealed forever. Never again would any of them be able to travel back and forth between the different worlds. Not even H.G. Wells would be able to make the trip.

No, he wouldn't accept that Lois was lost to him. He would never accept that. There had to be a way. If a Doctor Klein could make an impenetrable barrier between the universes, then a Doctor Klein could unmake it. A look of resolute determination came over his face as he sped off in the direction of Star Labs.

Lois found herself freefalling from high in the sky. Her eyes had cleared from the bright flash and now she was being buffeted by winds hundreds of feet in the air. Her mind instantly realized her plight. Somehow they had strayed to close to the dimensional barrier and she had been literally sucked out of Clark's arms.

Apparently she had been dragged into the other dimension when the other Clark had passed through and closed the gap with his remote thingy. She could see the bright blue of Clark's suit off in the distance as he flew away with the cage of creatures. The problem was... Clark could fly, she couldn't.

There was only one solution to her current predicament. She screamed.

In true heroic form, in mere moments, Lois found herself cradled in this Clark's arms. The confusion on his face was clear.

"Lois? What?"

"I think Clark and I must have been too close to the gap when you activated the device. There was this tremendous wind, then I was torn out of Clark's arms and sucked through into your dimension. I didn't have the advantage of being able to fly so I realized I'd need some help getting back to the ground... alive."

"Lois, you're bleeding."

"What?" Lois let her gaze be directed to where Clark's was looking and noticed the blood on her finger.

She could see that the tip of the middle finger on her left had seemed to have been neatly sliced through. It wasn't much of an injury, but now that her mind had acknowledged the wound, it began to throb. It was the fingertip that had barely touched Clark's just before the wall between the dimensions had closed. She stuck the finger in her mouth.

Clark quickly flew Lois to the docks at Hobbs Bay, or at least, the Hobbs Bay counterpart on his world. He set her down and looked around. Night was coming on and it would be dark pretty soon. Lois noted that this dockyard didn't look anymore inviting than the one in her Metropolis.

He looked worried. "Lois, I've got to retrieve that cage and get those beasts back where they belong, and where they won't be able to do any harm; but I don't want to leave you alone."

Lois rolled her eyes. "I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself. If this place is anything like the one in my world, things won't get too interesting until well after dark. I'll find a dark corner to hang out in until you get back."

He didn't seem convinced. "I don't know."

"Look, I promise I won't get distracted and wander off if I see something that looks like it might make a good story." She gave him a smile. "After all, I don't work here and the only thing on my mind right now is how fast you can get back here and we can get working on getting me back home."

She was startled by the look of pain that seemed to flash across his face. "Lois, as I told you and Clark back on your world; once I activated the closure of the breach it would become impermeable. There isn't any way to cross back and forth anymore." She felt an icy hand suddenly squeeze her heart. "Lois you can't go home... ever."

It had been a frustrating hour before Clark as Superman had been able to get Bernie Klein focused enough to actually talk to him about his problem. At first, the absent-minded doctor had been continually distracted by the experiment that he had going. Then Clark had to wait while Klein completed a few highly critical procedures and taking the necessary measurements, noting them in a dog-eared journal. Now that he finally had the good doctor's attention Clark wasn't sure how to broach the subject.

"Sorry, that particular experiment was at a highly crucial stage." Klein sat on a stool, and offered a similar one to Clark. He refused. "So, Superman, how can I help you?"

"Ah, Dr. Klein, what are you views on parallel dimensions?"

"I've always found those stories to quite entertaining." Klein cocked his head to one side. "Why I remember this particular book I read as a child. It was really quite fascinating. You see the hero was caught in this interdimensional whirlpool..."

"Doctor Klein!"

"What? Oh, you were serious?" Klein seemed confused. "But, Superman, that sort of thing is the stuff of science fiction and fantasy."

"So is a man who flies."

Klein frowned. "I see your point. Why the interest?"

"Because I happen to know that such alternate universes exist. I've met my counterpart from one. Lois has actually been there."

"Ms. Lane?" Klein looked toward the ceiling while shaking his head. "Of course she has. That woman just seems to attract weirdness." Klein looked back toward the door. "Where exactly is she? I would have thought that she'd be right here with you if it concerned something this unusual."

Clark ran his hand through his hair. "That's the problem, Doctor Klein. Lois is trapped in that other dimension."

"Oh my. So what exactly do you want me to do?"

Clark allowed himself to sigh, and then launched into a retelling of what had happened to them earlier. All during the telling he paced in a small circle and constantly wrung his hands. To Klein's credit, he didn't interrupt though Clark was sure he had many questions.

After Clark finished, Doctor Klein stood up and began pacing himself. "So, if I heard you correctly, the Bernard Klein of this alternate world was able to produce a device that would, in effect, seal off the dimensions from each other." Bernie shook his head in wonder. "Wow, would I like to meet him. Can you imagine the kind of man who could come up with a device like that?"

"Doctor Klein, you are the kind of man who can come up with a device like that. The other you did it. Now I need you to come up with some way to breach that barrier once again so we can get Lois back."

Klein nodded, but his face betrayed his concern. "I'll do what I can. I am aware of some of the theories concerning parallel worlds, but I've never really paid them much heed. I'm going to have to do some research before I can even begin to formulate some way to reopen that interdimensional portal." Klein placed his hand on Clark's shoulder. "If you could give me a few days to do some serious research I would have a better handle on this whole thing."

Clark frowned, and ran his hand through his hair again.

Klein suddenly looked alarmed. "Ms. Lane is not in any particular danger while she's in that other world is she? You did say she had been there before."

Another sigh escaped from Clark's mouth. Thoughts of his Lois with the other Clark made him a little nervous. He knew that the other Superman was attracted to Lois. How could he not be? Still, he trusted Lois, and that Superman would definitely not allow any harm to come her."

"No, she isn't in any danger. You can contact me through the Daily Planet when you have something."

Normally, Superman would leave by a convenient window, just for the effect; but Clark just didn't feel like showing off. He slouched as he shuffled his way out of Dr. Klein's lab.

It was going to be tough to just sit around and wait.

"I can't just stay here, hiding away in your apartment. I'm going to go crazy. We've got to find a way to get me home!" Lois paced angrily around the living room of the other Clark's apartment. It had been nearly three days since she fell into his dimension and she was ready to claw the walls.

Clark couldn't meet her fierce gaze. "I don't know what to say, Lois. We've talked to Doctor Klein and we both heard him say that the interdimensional breach has been sealed. You're stuck here. I'm sorry, but I don't know what else to do?"

"Okay, so we haven't figured a way around this wall between the worlds thing yet, but I can't just stay tucked away in your apartment. I have to get out, breathe the fresh air, and feel the sun on my face. If I can't go out and see something besides these four walls soon I'm going to go crazy."

Clark shrugged helplessly. "What do you want me to do? It's not as if Lois Lane can suddenly reappear again. People are still talking about the mystery woman who masqueraded as Lois Lane the last time you were here."

Lois frowned. "Well, I have to do something. I, for one, am not ready to give up just because your Doctor Klein isn't willing to try to help me."

Clark sighed. "Lois, it's not that he isn't willing to help you, it's just that he doesn't see any way for you to get back."

"I just wish you'd feel a bit more urgency for my predicament. I wonder if you aren't happy that I'm stuck in your world. Now you finally have your own Lois Lane." She saw the look of pain flash across his face. "I'm... I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I'm just going stir crazy." Lois flopped down onto Clark's large, overstuffed couch.

He got up from his chair and walked over to the sofa and sat down beside her. "No, I'm sorry. There's more than just a grain of truth to your accusation. While I do feel for your situation, and know how much you miss your husband, I'd be lying if didn't say that a small part of me is glad that you are stranded here. I've missed you." He ran his hand through his hair; a gesture that was so familiar to Lois. "I know you keep telling me that my feelings for you are just the misdirected ones that I'll feel for the Lois of my world. But my world doesn't have a Lois Lane anymore. She's dead. She died years ago and I never got to meet her. I met you instead. It's you that I have feelings for."

Lois turned to face him. A tear rolled down her cheek. "I can imagine how lonely you must have been this past year, since you and Lana broke up, but I can't be your Lois. I do have feelings for you. I consider you a good friend. You are kind and compassionate, and all the things that make up the hero, and the man that you are. How can I not love someone like that? But I'm not in love with you; I never can be. You are not my Superman, not *my* Clark Kent." Lois got up and paced around the room for a few moments.

"Even if I'm stuck here the rest of my life, I can only offer you my friendship. That's the way it has to be. Can you accept that?"

Clark stared at his hands for several heartbeats, then he looked up and met her gaze. "Yes, yes I can accept that. And I promise you that I will do everything within my power to find a way to get you back where you belong." He rose and came over to her. "But what do we do about getting you out of here. The media frenzy has died down a lot since I was first outed as Superman, but there are still always some paparazzi hanging around."

Lois wandered over to the hall mirror. She sighed. "Yeah, it was dark when we came in, but I'm sure that they know you have a woman up here. You're right. Lois Lane can't suddenly reappear without an explanation." She looked over at him and gave him a tired smile. "I don't suppose the truth will work too well."

Clark shrugged. "Probably not. At least not for time being. I suppose we can re-evaluate the situation later as conditions change."

Lois stared at herself in the mirror. "Ordinarily, I'd just chop off some hair and disguise myself." She fingered her short layered locks. "But my hair is already short and I had short hair when I was here last. I don't think cutting it any shorter will have any effect as a disguise." She turned to him. "How about you go out and get me a wig. A red one, long and flowing. One that will draw people's attention to the hair and away from my face."

"Okay." He spun into his suit. Lois knew that her face betrayed her awe. She never got tired of seeing that spin change. He grinned at her. "It took a while but I finally figured out how to do it."

Suddenly a heavy gust of wind blew her hair into her eyes and papers flew everywhere. That was something she definitely had gotten tired of. She turned back toward the mirror and tried to straighten the mess his departure had made of her hair.

It had been a frustrating three days, but Clark had waited, not always too patiently, for the call from Doctor Klein. Now he stood in an empty lab, waiting for the good doctor to come in and tell him what he had learned.

The door opened and Klein entered. He bumped into two tables, and a chair before he looked up and noticed that Superman was there waiting. "Oh, hello Superman, what are you doing here?"

Clark rolled his eyes. "Dr. Klein, you called me, remember?"

"I did? Oh, yes, I did." Klein walked over to one of the benches and pick up a sheaf of papers. "I'm afraid that there hasn't been a lot of research done in the realm of parallel dimensions. But there have been a lot of speculative essays and papers done. Most agree on major points. Since you have met someone from one of these other dimensions, and you say Ms. Lane has actually visited one, and is trapped in one now, we will have to assume that they do indeed exist."

"Dr. Klein... Bernie, can we get to the point here?"

"Ah, right. Okay, from my research and the information you were able to give me I've worked up a theoretical model of this alternative universe. Most likely this other dimension exits in the same space as our dimension but the two are separated by a difference in vibrational frequency. In effect, the two dimensions are out of phase with each other."

Klein stopped and checked his stack of notes before continuing. "You claim that there are counterpoints to most of the people in this world over there, but they are not necessarily exactly the same."

Clark nodded. "That's right. There was no Superman on that world until Lois first visited and helped create him." Klein looked like he was about to ask a question but Clark hurried on, not allowing him to interrupt. "And the Lois Lane of that world was lost on an assignment in the Congo several years ago." Clark shrugged. "There are several differences in the people, but it's mostly a situation of life experiences and circumstances that have made them somewhat different people."

Klein nodded. "That only makes sense, but I think there must be deeper differences. Differences on a cellular level. You see, if this whole vibratory hypothesis is true, then everyone living in a particular universe needs to be attuned to that universe. So, even though you and the Superman from that world may seem exactly alike you really aren't. There must be differences at the molecular level."

"Hmmm, that could explain why we couldn't communicate telepathically."

"What?"

"Kryptonians can communicate telepathically, but I couldn't with the Superman of that other dimension."

"Yes, that would make sense. His brain and yours would be operating on different frequencies."

"But how does this information help us breach the barrier between the worlds and get Lois back where she belongs."

Klein reached over and waved several sheets of paper under Clark's face. "As you can see by my math, the interface between the universes...."

"Doctor Klein!"

"Huh, what?"

"Dimensional mechanics for dummies, please."

Klein blushed. "If I have guessed correctly, what the Bernie Klein of the other dimension did was realign the barrier to keep out any being or object that is not originally from that dimension."

"Why do you think that?"

"Because that's what I would have done."

"So we can no longer enter the alternate world, and anyone from there, like their Superman, can never come back here."

"Correct."

"So how can that help us get Lois back?"

"Lois is not of that other dimension, therefore, if I surmise correctly, the barrier should allow Lois to enter the dimension she actually belongs in."

"So if she had one of the devices that Wells use to use to travel between the alternate worlds, the newly realigned barrier should allow her to pass back into the universe she actually belongs in." Clark saw Klein nod. "So if we can't get into that other Superman's world, how can we effect Lois' rescue?"

"We can't. Any escape for Ms. Lane will have to come from that side of the barrier."

Clark flopped down onto one of the stools near him. His hands kept clenching and unclenching. "But how long are we going to have to wait until they figure this out? Obviously they haven't come up with the answer yet. It could be days, weeks, months, even years before it occurs to them that Lois can return?"

Klein placed his hand on Clark's shoulder. "I'm afraid there's a complication." That got Clark's attention. "Because she is not native to that universe, over time, the difference in the make up of that universe will have a negative effect on Ms. Lane's health. I'm can't accurately predict any sort of time table, but I do know that eventually she will start to feel ill, and continue to grow sicker each day."

"Are you saying that Lois' life may be in danger?"

Klein sighed, then nodded. "That's exactly what I'm saying. If Ms. Lane is there too long, that alternate universe will kill her."

"Clark, are you here?" Lois allowed the door to close behind her as she entered the apartment.

She tossed her bag onto a chair near the door. Walking into the living room she sat down on the couch and pulled the long red wig off her head, tossing it into the far corner.

"God, how do women put up with that much hair?"

She began to rub her temples. She had woken up with a headache and it had only gotten worse as the day had progressed. Her joints ached also. She wondered if she wasn't coming down with the flu. Wouldn't that be just great? She'd been stuck in this dimension for nearly a week now, and on top of her frustration, she was getting sick.

A mournful sigh escaped as she laid down, propping her head up on one of the throw pillows. She missed her husband so much. It was like a physical pain that surrounded her heart. And what about him? What must he be going through? He was alone, rattling around in their brownstone. Did he miss her as much as she missed him? A sad smile crossed her face. Of course he did... probably a bit more. She, at least, had company; a friend to help her in her quest for an answer.

She let her gaze sweep around the apartment. It was bigger than the one Clark had back before they'd been married. It had two full bedrooms, one of which she had made her own for the time being. But could she continue to stay here? Was it fair to either of them?

She knew that this Clark would protest and tell her that she was welcome to stay as long as she wished if she brought the subject up. But she also knew that it was hard on both of them to spend so much time together, in such close proximity. He was a constant reminder of what she was missing back home, and it was hard. She had to keep reminding herself where she was and who she was with.

On the other hand, his feelings for her were painfully transparent. He'd been a perfect gentleman since this whole thing started, but she could tell that there was an underlying spark of hope within him. Could she, would she, ever accept her fate and allow herself to 'settle' for a life with him.

The wig, and some judicious use of make-up, had done the trick. She'd been introduced around as Joanne Kent, Clark's cousin from Wichita. No one had made the connection to the mystery woman who had been here all those months ago purporting to be Lois Lane. It had allowed her a degree of freedom, but she still chafed under her dependency on him.

Not that she would ever entertain giving up trying to get back home, but she had no idea how long it was going to take to work things out. Maybe she should think about getting some sort of job, and moving into a temporary place of her own. It might make things easier between her and Clark.

Suddenly, her eyes flew open and she launched herself off the couch toward the bathroom at a dead run. She barely made it the bowl before she emptied the contents of her stomach into the porcelain receptacle. She noted that the water had turned a pinkish color. That meant that she had coughed up some blood along with her lunch. That couldn't be good.

She was still leaning over the bowl when Clark entered the apartment.

"Lois, are you home?"

"In here."

Clark entered the bathroom and spying Lois bent over the bowl immediately knelt down beside her. "Are you all right? What's wrong?"

She gave him weak smile. "I think I'm sick."

He reached over and pulled a washcloth from the sink and wiped her mouth as he helped her to her feet. "Lois, I think I should take you to a doctor."

She waved her hand in dismissal. "No, no doctor. I'm fine. It's just a touch of the flu. I'll be all right with a little rest."

"You are not fine. Even if it is just the flu, a doctor can prescribe something to make you feel better. I..."

The ringing of the phone interrupted any further conversation. Clark picked it up and Lois tried to listen to the one sided conversation. Her head pounded too much for her to be able to concentrate on what was being said.

After he hung up Clark looked over at Lois. He had a worried look on his face. "That was Doctor Klein. He wants to see us right away. When I mentioned that you weren't feeling well he became quite agitated and said there was no time to lose."

"That sounds more ominous than promising." Lois frowned. "Did he give you any clue as to why he wants to see us?"

"No; just that we should get there as soon as possible."

"Well, let's go then."

"Do you want to put on your wig first?"

Lois glanced over to where she had tossed her hairpiece. It looked like a small animal had crawled into the corner and died. "Screw it, let's go. Maybe his news will mean that I don't have to wear the stupid thing anymore."

Clark spun into his suit and held his hand out to Lois. By the time the paparazzi outside heard the sonic boom, the pair were long gone.

Clark came out of Perry's office with a grim look on his face. He didn't know how much longer he could keep up the ruse. He was sure that Perry didn't believe that Lois was away nursing a sick aunt. Honestly, he didn't blame the Chief. It was a pretty lame excuse, but then he'd never been real good at making up excuses even after all the years of doing it. That had become Lois' expertise since she'd been in on the secret.

Still, what could he say? 'Sorry, Chief, Lois was swept into an alternate dimension and I don't know when she'll be coming back, if ever.' He shook his head in disgust as he forced himself to pay attention to his computer screen and work on the story that he'd been staring at all morning. Lois or no, he couldn't afford to get fired for not doing his work. He had to cover for Lois as well. It hadn't been a pleasant week, and he didn't expect things to get any better until she returned.

She had better return soon, or everything was going to fall apart. He didn't know how much longer he could hold out against Perry's interrogations. More importantly, he didn't know how much longer he could hold out. If Lois didn't come back soon, she'd probably die in that other dimension and then he didn't know what he would do. Lois Lane had become integral to his existence. If she was no longer a part of his life would there be any point in even getting up in the morning.

Clark ruthlessly banished his dark musings and returned his attention to the story he'd been assigned. First things first. He could spend the evening wallowing in his misery, but for now he had a deadline.

Lois' head was pounding but she didn't dwell on the pain. For the first time in the week she had been stuck in this dimension she had some hope. Hope that she would soon be going home.

They had arrived at Doctor Klein's lab and he had immediately launched into a torrent of scientific mumbo-jumbo that had made her head swim. She didn't understand what he was saying by half, but the part she did understand was both sobering and exciting.

He explained the reason that Lois was feeling so sick was because some basic difference between this dimension and her own was affecting her, making her ill. In time it would surely cause her death. Not a happy prospect considering they thought it was impossible for her to breach the barrier and get back to her own world.

Then the skies brightened and Dr. Klein dropped the bombshell. He thought that it was possible for Lois to cross over and return home. She didn't understand his explanation. It was all about different vibratory frequencies, and dimensional alignments. It was all very confusing. The only facet she grabbed onto was Klein thought that because she wasn't where she was supposed to be the barrier should allow her to return to her correct universe. All they needed was a viable means to get her there.

Since H.G.Wells was originally from her world, he wasn't going to be able to make the trip across the barrier in one of his time/dimension machines and ferry her back home. That meant she was dependant on Clark and Doctor Klein.

Luckily Clark had traveled with Wells several times and with his photographic memory was able to give Klein very detailed descriptions of the craft that they had used. He also would tell Klein anything he remembered Wells saying about the machine. Little tidbits like; it was fueled by gold, and something involving a 'flux capacitor'.

They had worked long hours coming up with the plans. Klein continually asking Clark questions about what he could remember. Eventually they were satisfied that they had a reasonable facsimile of the machine that she and Clark had both been taxied in.

At super speed Clark had secured the materials and had built the somewhat gaudy chariot. At least it looked right. But the crucial test was yet to come, and there would be no second chances.

"Ms. Lane I wish I could guarantee that this machine will work the way the one Mr. Wells had, but I can't. This is just Clark and mine's best guess. It might not work; it might leave you stranded in some other time or place. It could be very dangerous. There just is no way to test it first."

Lois frowned. "But how can this get me into my own dimension? I mean, isn't this made from materials of this world and so it won't pass through to my world?"

Klein smiled at her and nodded. "Very good, Ms. Lane, and yes you are absolutely right the vehicle can't pass through the barrier, but we still believe that you will." She looked skeptical. "Perhaps I can explain it best with a simple analogy. Remember when you were a child and you rode your sled down a snowy hill. What would happen if your sled's runners would suddenly hit a rock or half-hidden log?"

"I'd fall off."

"Not exactly. You'd fall forward. The momentum you would have built up would propel your body forward, most likely off the sled completely. This vehicle should work for you in much the same way. While you won't be building up an actual physical momentum, you will have gained a dimensional momentum. When the vehicle hits the barrier it will stop, but it's my belief that your momentum will catapult you into your dimension."

"I'm not sure that sounds like much fun. What kind of *catapulting* are we talking about here?"

"Since you won't actually be physically moving, I assume that you'll just suddenly appear in your own dimension without the vehicle." Klein blushed at her questioning gaze. "I can't really be sure, I'm sorry, but this is the best option I can give you."

Lois shrugged then jumped into the seat. "It's not like I have any alternatives. If I stay here I'll die. I might as well roll the dice. Any chance to get back home is better than the alternative."

Clark, still dressed as Superman, picked up the machine with Lois in it. "Where to, Lois?"

"A nice roomy brownstone on Hyperion Avenue. I just hope that it's dark enough that whoever lives there on this world won't notice this large circus contraption in their backyard until it's too late."

He gave her a weak chuckle. "Let's hope they're not too observant."

Lois reached her hand up and caressed his cheek. "Clark, don't give up on your Lois yet."

He sighed. "Lois, it's been nearly four years. Do you know what the odds are?"

"If there is one thing that I've learned, it's that Lois and Clark are all about beating the odds. We've been doing it for years. It will happen for you too. I know it will."

Clark smiled and flew Lois and the machine out of the lab's skylight.

Clark sat on the sofa in their living room. He hadn't bothered to turn on the lights; he just sat in the dark staring at nothing. His heart was heavy with dread. It had been a full week since Lois had been lost. Had being in that other universe started to affect her yet? Was she even still alive?

He was so wrapped up in his misery that he hadn't heard the noise at the front door until it opened.

"Clark? Why are you sitting in the dark? Is there something wrong with the electricity?"

Clark stood up and stared at the dark silhouette in the front entry. He'd know that voice anywhere, and even though her words were matter of fact, he could hear her heartbeat racing. "Lois?"

Suddenly the tiny figure was across the space between them and had launched herself into his arms. He caught in mid-air and swung her around, laughter of relief bubbled forth.

"You're back!"

"Yep." She pressed her lips against his in a desperation she didn't know she had felt. After several moments they broke the kiss, if only because they had to breathe. It was still dark but he looked deeply into her eyes which he could see reflected in the dim moonlight coming through the windows. "Do you know how long it's been since I have made love to a big, strong, handsome hero-type?" She asked coyly.

Clark couldn't keep a big silly grin off his face. "Hopefully, as long as it's been since I've made love to a beautiful, headstrong, tornado of a woman."

"So, husband, what do you intend to do about that situation?"

"I'll show you." Clark turned, Lois still in his arms, and moved toward the stairs to their bedroom.

"Clark?" Lois traced his lips with her finger. "If you ever have to fly off and chase after some flying dinosaurs again... "

"Yes?"

"Leave me on the ground."

Fin.