Don’t Go Away
by coolgirl

“Dancer, Prancer, Comet, Blitzen, Dasher, Cupid... Donner...”
“That's seven…One more.”
“Donner...”
“You're stuck.”
“I am not stuck…huh… I'm stuck.”

Part 2 : Where are you?

She was stuck! Her thoughts would move no further from Clark. She had gotten no sleep in the past two hours. She should have known that the most important person in her world was Clark. The only man who could stomach working with her. The only man who teased her, cheered her up, confronted her without fear and held her when she was afraid. Her best friend. The man who loved her. The man whom she had rejected in favor of a master-mind criminal.

She buried her face in her palms and her shoulders jerked. She just couldn’t stop crying. She cried for her aborted wedding. She cried because she had yet again made the wrong choice. She cried for the second chance, that she might not get. She cried that she had been so thick-headed and not believed about Luthor. She cried because she had been inches from being married to a monster. She cried because she had probably lost Clark in the process. Excellent Lois! Ten points for driving Clark away successfully!

A few minutes later, wiping her eyes, she looked at the clock beside Clark’s bed. According to Perry, he should have been home last night. What if he thought that she was shallow and left her for some other woman? Or what if he had left Metropolis like he did during that heat-wave? He always seemed to be leaving her. Never stuck around!

Luthor had succeeded in driving away all the people close to her. Thinking about it, she suddenly saw things in a new light that alarmed her. What if Luthor had thought of Clark as a threat to his relationship with her and driven him out of Metropolis? Would Clark have left her and gone? No, he wouldn’t have! Why then, wasn’t he home yet? Did he fall prey to one of Luthor’s ploys?

On a sudden impulse, or maybe instinct, she snatched the phone beside the bed and dialed Clark’s parents’ number. On the third ring, she heard Martha pick the phone on the other end.

“Hello.”

“Mrs. Kent… um… Martha? This is Lois. Is Clark there?” she said. She knew she sounded weepy and hoarse even through the phone, but didn’t have the strength to mask it.

“Lois? Honey, no, Clark is not here. What happened? Is everything alright? How was the wedding? And where are you calling from?”

“I didn’t marry Lex and… Lex is… dead. Threw himself off the balcony. Turns out Clark was right, had been right as always. I was about to marry a crook. (sniff) God! I always seem to land crooks, criminals and sleaze-balls. No wonder Clark didn’t come to the wedding. (sniff) And I desperately need to talk to him. Say I am sorry. But I can’t find him! It is driving me insane. I’ve been sitting here, in his apartment and he is doing that vanishing act of his. (sniff) Can’t he-”

“Lois!! Lois honey, calm down and tell me what’s wrong. I’m sure Clark will be back from wherever he is. You say you didn’t marry Lex and... he is *dead*?”

“Yes! I was there standing before him in the altar and all I could think was about
Clark. (sniff) Then Perry burst in with the police and chased after Lex. He fell from his balcony. (sniff) Perry wouldn’t let me see his body. I wanted to check if he was really dead. Must have been! That balcony was almost thirty floors high. (sniff) And Clark is missing. Didn’t come to the wedding at all. I was waiting for him. He was supposed to be my best-friend. (sniff)”

“Oh Lois, I’m so sorry, honey! Are you okay now? Who is there with you?” she asked gently. ‘And where the hell is Clark now?’ she muttered to herself.

“Perry and Jimmy are here. My mother is coming over! And I am at Clark’s place. I hope he doesn’t mind. I wanted to see him so badly. (sniff) And he’s still angry with me, or he would have come home. Perry says should have been home last night and he must be getting drunk somewhere. I have never seen him drunk! Oh Martha, I am in such a huge mess! (sniff)”

“Lois, Clark is not here. If he comes here, I’ll ask him to call you. Do you want me to come over? I’m sure Jonathan could manage the farm on his own for a few days.”

“No Martha. I already feel so bad dumping all this on you. It is just that you are so different than my own mother. I’ll just wait for Clark.”

“I’m sure Clark will be there soon. Take care, honey. And call me if you need me. I’m never too busy for my family. And you are family.”

“Thank you, Martha.” She replaced the phone beside the bed and leaned back on the bed. She wrapped Clark’s blanket around her searching for his warmth, but found none.

“Clark, where are you?” she whispered.

TBC

---------------------------

I don't have a beta! sigh!

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time