I posted a thread about this on the fanfic related board, if you care to go check it out. smile One note on this tale is it might read a bit dark and appear to be a death or injury filled fic. It is not. I am not one who cares much for such tales. This story merely grew from an idea that's been brewing in my mind over the last week. I hope you enjoy and as I said on the other board if anyone would like to help me continue it please let me know.

That Super Son of Mine by Mona

“Darn Jonathan and his love of this ancient truck!” Martha Kent shouted as she struggled to navigate her suddenly brakeless Ford to the side of the road. Over the last few months, the truck’s brakes had hinted a few times that soon they would give out altogether, but each time Jonathan had managed a quick fix and assured his wife that “Blue Betty,” still had some life left in her. Well, at this moment, Martha could only hope that she still had life yet to live for, Betty sure was being uncooperative in slowing down.

Martha had thought she was smart in convincing herself to take a quick detour on the way home to the supermarket to get a few extra groceries should the weather predictions hold out and a storm arrive the next day. The darkness around revealed that her “quick trip” had not been so quick after all. Apparently, nearly 60 years in Smallville had failed to teach Martha that it was impossible to simply run in and out of anywhere! First there was her longtime friend Barbara, then an acquaintance from school, followed by Dan Smith, the market’s longtime owner himself, and just like that time had slipped away, taking all but a few last vestiges of mid November light with it. But one of the many advantages of very rural living was that Smith’s was less than 15 minutes from the farm and she would soon be safely home. That was her plan, anyway, until the truck had decided to change things.

After what felt like an eternity, Martha had succeeded in slowing the truck down enough so that in just another minute when she would approach the small hill that normally would indicate the turnoff form the farm, she’d be able to use it as a brace. Her goal in sight, Martha breathed a quick sigh of relief. At that moment the heavens opened up and Martha saw her life flash before her eyes.

Back in Metropolis, Clark was finishing up a piece on a boatyard scandal when his thoughts suddenly turned to his mother. He and Lois had seen his parents only a few days ago for dinner so he knew they were fine with the exception of needing to prepare for an upcoming storm. He glanced over at the picture of his parents he kept on his desk, smiled, and was about to get back to work when he heard it, or perhaps as her son, more correctly felt that his mother needed his help and NOW.

“Oh Clark,” sobbed Martha, clutching onto her son as if her heart was about to break, “I thought I’d never see you again, let alone Lois or your father.” Clark had flown faster than he ever could remember flying before and it didn’t take very long for his telescopic vision to zoom onto a familiar blue pickup truck that was heading straight toward a large hill. Within seconds he had stopped the runaway truck, carried it over to the shoulder of the road and then pulled out his frenzied mother who had wasted no time in collapsing in his strong arms.

It took Superman a few long moments to calm down himself! This was his mother who he had just saved quite possibly from death and now that she was safe, the reality of what had almost happened, hit him like a ton of kryptonite and now it was his turn to take refuge in the arms of his beloved mother. Mother and son held fast to one another, neither of them realizing that Wayne Irig, who also happened to be on his way home was witnessing the rather unusual sight of Martha being held and apparently comforted by Superman himself.