Normally I would sit down at my computer and tap out several pages before getting sidetracked and abandonning the fic for several years. As it happens, though, I'm stuck in a school library, and I finally came up with a (hopefully) decent beginning...Okay, enough rambling. This is an Idea that Labby left on the curb, and so I just helped myself to it. It is (theoretically...) based on the 7 deadly sins, which are: Pride, Lust, Sloth, Envy, Snoring, Posting Vandalism on Wikipedia, and using double entendre in a story that's presumabely for children. Or something like that.

SIN

Jennifer Gray was on her way to class when she saw the crowd gathered around the library. Hooting, taunting students were surrounding a red-faced man who shouted while waving a bible. Like a moth drawn toward a bright light, Jennifer approached the crowd and found a classmate of hers on the outer fringe of the mob.

"What's going on?" she asked.

Her friend lowered the notebook she'd been using as an impromptu sign which said 'GOD LOVES'. "Preacher Sin McEvil is back," she said.

A boy in the crowd turned around. "I thought we were calling him Evil McSin."

"Whatever," said the friend, waving a hand dismissively.

Jennifer looked into the center of the crowd. The red faced Sin McEvil... or Evil McSin... had just informed everyone that all Jews were Hell-bound, which of course prompted several students in the crowd (Jew and Gentile alike) to begin singing Hava Nagila.

"You're all *Sinners*!" The preacher shouted. "You'll burn in Hell if you don't *Repent*! You, young lady," he thrust his bible towards a young student in a tank-top and shorts. "Put some *clothes* on!"

Jennifer blinked. "What's wrong with her clothes?" she asked aloud.

"Nothing," said another student, holding a sheet of paper on which he'd scrawled 'Tupoc Died For Your Sins'.

A few boys from the fraternities started throwing condoms around. Before the mob could get further out of hand, though, everyone was distracted by a streak of red and blue in the sky.

"Hey! It's Superman!"

The students cheered at the passing blur.

The preacher's frown deepened, and his face became even redder. "You miserable, wretched sinners want to cheer Superman! He won't save you..."

"He saved the plane my Uncle was on!" shouted a curly-haired student.

The preacher frowned and shook his bible. "He won't save your *soul*! Superman is going to burn in Hell with the rest of you---" He raised his voice further to be heard over the chaotic shouting that ensued. "Because he is a false god, and he flies around in those tights, letting women lust after him!"

"My pastor *likes* Superman!" one kid shouted over the booing.

"Your pastor is a lying fool who will lead you straight to Hell!" The preacher shouted. "If he really cared about you, he'd have told you to have nothing to do with that perverted---"

"Leave Superman alone!"

"Yeah!"

"What has he ever done?"

"Repent," the preacher repeated, waving his bible like a weapon. "You all have to stop sinning..."

"What has Superman ever done?"

"He's done nothing wrong!"

"You sinners!" cried the preacher. "You don't want to stop sinning, and you worship this big blue anti-christ as an idol..." He shouted over the booing. "What will it take to make you see the truth and mend your wicked ways?!"

"Superman hasn't done anything wrong!" they chorused again.

The campus police were starting to gather. It was just a casual show of authority to make sure nothing serious happened. Even so, Jenifer did not want to be nearby if something *did* happen. Plus, there was a look on the preacher's face near the end that, frankly, gave her the chills.

---------------

TBC

Except for a few details, this part is based on real events. Well, Labby? How am I doing so far? smile

~•~