I did a little assessment of my hard-drive today and found many, many fics in various states of being done. One of my fics wasn't exactly written with the boards in mind--I wrote it for my daughters. My oldest hates to read, but she'll read anything I write--particularly fanfic, of course. This was written to introduce her to -ar words. I'm only posting it now in the hopes that someone else might take up the challenge to write an easy-reader story of their own, or for you to share with your own kids as they begin to read.

~~~

Vocabulary level:
short vowels, sh, wh, ch, -ar

Sight words: the, was, of, for

Words to grow on:
Martha, spotted

The Lad in the Ship
By Elisabeth

Jon and Martha went on a trip in the truck. It was hot, but fun. In the dusk, Jon and Martha spotted an odd star. Bam! It crashed! It lit up the spot at the pond. Jon stopped the truck. Martha went to the spot. Jon saw it was not a star. It was a ship. It had a lad in it. The lad did not have a mom and dad. Martha and Jon helped. Jon and Martha wanted a lad. Martha put the lad on her lap. The lad was not sad. Martha was a swell mom. Jon puts the ship in the back of the truck. Jon was glad the lad was his. Jon and Martha called him Clark.

~*~

Men in town asked Jon, “Spot the star?”

Jon had not met the men in the past. It was odd for the men to ask that.

“No,” Jon fibbed.

If the men got the ship, the men would spot that it fit a lad. Jon had to fix this mess.

When it was dark and Clark napped, Jon went in back of the shed. He dug a pit for the ship. Jon did not mark the spot. It was not on a map. Jon did not want the men to get the ship.

In his bed at the farm, Clark was as snug as a bug in a rug.