This should be called, "Why Mercy is going to fail her exams." But whatever. I took a nap this afternoon and this baby sprung fully formed from my head. No beta. Wrote it 15 minutes ago, so I hope the spelling mistakes aren't too bad. It's one of only two LnC pieces I've had the audacity to call finished.

First season. Post-Nightfall. Hope you all enjoy!

---

His World

Lois stared over the rim of her champagne flute at the tall figure in crimson across the room. She hated that she couldn't seem to look away, couldn't seem to be drawn into the conversations of those around her as easily as he could. She took another sip of champaigne forcing her eyes to swivel across the banquet hall. Metropolis' elite: the very breath this city draws, seething with energy and easily enough juicy scandal to keep an intrepid reporter on the front page for good.

And what was Lois Lane doing? Drowning her sorrows as she watched her Greek God grace his way amongst the mortals. Well, amongst everyone but her. He'd barely offered her a 'hello' an hour earlier before some blonde tart claiming to be with the Metro Children's Camp Fund had pulled him away to meet someone-or-other in charge of the Whatsitz-for-Whoever Charity.

Bah. At least she wasn't alone. Every female eye seemed to be drawn to Superman. And even the most confident male seemed to shrink a little in his presence. Somehow that thought wasn't comforting. She was his friend! Or at least as close to a friend as a man so far removed from the world gets. Shouldn't she be acting at least a little differently in his presence? Shouldn't he?

Speaking of friends, Lois noted with irritation, her awol partner still hadn't shown. At least with Clark around, she would be distracted enough to get some real reporting done. Now there was an uncomfortable thought: since when did Lois Lane's reporting skills need the aid of some farmboy from Nowheresville?

No more! She downed her champagne flute and grabbed another from a server so fast, he almost spilled the rest of the tray. Lois Lane waits for no man. Just beyond a crowd of women whispering and pointing in the direction of... who cares!... Lois spotted her prey.

"Alderman Sanchez, finally we meet." Lois pushed through the women and took her place slightly in front of the Alderman's companion, some pudgy man in an ill-fitting tux. "You really must do something about your secretary. She must not have forwarded any of the inquiries I made to your office last week." The man behind her was forced to take a step backward. He went to tap on Lois' shoulder, but something in her stance warned him away. With a slightly guilty glance at Sanchez, he departed.

"Excuse me?" Sanchez seemed to take an involuntary step back as well.

"Lois Lane, Daily Planet. Let's chat." Lois' smile turned predatory. Something flashed red in the corner of her eye. She didn't dare take her eyes off Sanchez, whose demeanor was fairly begging for escape, so she missed Superman's quick but delighted glance in her direction.

---

An hour later and Lois knew she'd lost whatever spark of energy had carried her this far. Still, she considered it a successful night. Sanchez was a loss. He had quibbled for a bit, but didn't reveal anything as far as his suspected money laundering scheme was concerned. She hadn't expected to do more than shake him up anyway.

It was after that, when she'd overheard one of the new DA's whispering to Judge Markowitz that she knew she'd struck gold. A few days digging and she'd have all she needed to put away the two--and potentially another DA--for being bribed into dismissing the Frank Maloney case. It never sat right with her how blase the DA's Office had handled Superman catching one of the most notorious mob members in Metropolis. Maybe, if he apologized profusely and adorned her with donuts and lunches and copious amounts of coffee, she'd even let Clark help.

Maybe.

Lois grabbed another glass of champagne, idly watching the bubbles as she wondered how many she'd had. Four? Five?

Superman. He was on the other side of her champagne glass again. This time talking to Mayer Seigel. Boy that guy could yak. The mayor, not Superman. Superman seemed as stoic as ever. No, that wasn't true. His eyes were slightly squinted, his mouth drawn. It was the same way Clark looked when she drug him out on all-night stakeouts. The look of a man putting all his mental powers into just keeping his eyelids from slamming shut.

Lois smiled and sauntered over to him. Well, if he wasn't going to come up to her, she'd just have to take matters into her own hands. The mayor noticed her approach and scuttled off. Must have heard great things about my conversation skills this evening, Lois mused. Mad Dog Lane's still got it.

"Good evening, Lois."

"See, now was that so hard?" Lois tapped his arm lightly. A familiar touch she'd be too nervous to employ completely sober. Yay for champagne!

"Excuse me?"

"You always call me 'Ms. Lane' when we meet. That's the first time you've called me 'Lois' instead of 'Ms. Lane' without me insisting first."

Superman seemed surprised. "I suppose you're right. Well, how are you this evening, Lois?" He put a little emphasis into the word. Somehow, it seemed familiar on his lips.

She smiled. "About the same as you, at this point. I can barely keep my eyes open."

This time he was definitely surprised. "Is it so obvious?"

Lois winked. "Only to a well-trained journalist. You're not the only one who can see right through people." She gave a confident smile, swaying only slightly in her trim silver heels.

Superman seemed to consider her for a moment. "Shall we go out to the balcony? It's very warm in here."

How would he know? He could swim in lava if he wanted. But Lois did feel warm--the champagne?--so she followed as he turned to go. His cape did a neat little swish as he went, exposing a bit of his butt and back thighs and Lois' knees almost buckled. Greek God.

Once outside, she took refuge leaning against the railing. They weren't alone out there, she noticed sadly. The balcony was large and a crowd was slowly forming to view the cityscape and escape the heat.

It was dark enough that Lois couldn't quite make out Superman's features, but his eyes seemed to twinkle in the night. "This is nice." It seemed like such an inadequate thing to say, when she wanted to shout "Perfect!"

He nodded. "I agree."

"What are we agreeing to?"

Lois turned to see that Ms. Camp Fund was back, tossing her long blond hair back to expose the plunging neckline of her red dress. The hairs on Lois' neck stood on end--my God, she thought, I'm actually bristling!

"Sorry to interrupt," the blonde tart continued, "but I was hoping to steal Superman away." She turned towards Superman--*my* Superman, Lois wanted to shout--and her cheeks seemed to flush. "Jon Peterson, the one in charge of the backpacking club I mentioned, would just love to meet with you and discuss our plan for next year's camp fundraiser."

"Certainly, in a moment. I was just in the middle of a conversation." Superman smiled warmly.

Ha! Yes, a conversation with me. Shoo! Lois took a triumphant, and completely non-chalant, sip of her champagne.

"About what?"

What part of shoo don't you understand? "We were discussing how very bored we are." Lois' eyes narrowed, ignoring Superman's embarrassed look of surprise.

"We were just reflecting on what a long day it has been," he amended.

The blonde nodded sympathetically, completely ignoring Lois now. "Yes, but aren't they all."

"I imagine there must be plenty of time in the day for those who don't need to fill it working." It was a guess, but it payed off. The tart had blue blood written all over her and her quick look of shock confirmed it. But to her credit, she smoothed it away quickly.

"I assure you, miss, that my work with the Metropolis Children's Camp, as well as the New Troy Soup Kitchen Confederation, keeps me plenty busy." She turned to Superman again. "There just aren't enough hours of the day, are there, when you spend them helping those in need?"

The bitch. Lois nearly choked on her drink at the way the other woman had distorted her words. Superman nodded back, but something in his expression was distinctly amused. Was it at her expense?

"Shall we?" The blonde had the audacity to take Superman's arm.

He laid his hand lightly over hers. "I'll be in in a moment."

She smiled and turned away. "I'll be waiting," she called over her shoulder, giving her hair one last flip for good measure.

Oh, God. Lois stared into the city lights spread before her, one hand gripping the railing, the other her flute. Does he really think I implied he doesn't work for a living? That somehow what I do is more time-consuming or important or, or whatever, than everything *Superman* does for the world. The lights blurred before her.

Then, just inches from her ear, she felt a whispered, "Let's get out of here."

Lois jumped, brushing her cheek against his as she turned her head. Superman had already pulled away by the time she was able to look into his eyes. She let out a slow breath. "Perfect."

He smiled. A slow, delicious smile made all the more sensual by how infrequently he wore it. Just for me, Lois thought hazily.

"Give me five minutes."

She nodded, and he was gone.

---

Exactly ten minutes later, Lois headed back inside the Lexor to check on him. Not that she was worried. Superman wouldn't have forgotten. Something had to have come up. She wasn't sure what was worse: that he had lost track of time, or that he had to cancel their getaway.

The crowd had thinned on the balcony and when Lois reached the banquet hall she realized why. The mayor was in the middle of a droning speech about civic responsibility, and he had pulled up on stage with him Superman and a few other city officials. Superman's eyes were nearly slits. Poor guy must be exhausted.

He noticed her then and shot her an apologetic look. Lois winked back. Soon, she thought. We'll be out of here soon.

When the speech ended, Lois turned and made her way back to the balcony, confident that he would join her. She turned at the railing to see that he was right on her heels.

"Ready?"

In reply, she extended her arms around his neck. Why was it she was so shy to touch him normally, and yet she could easily press her body against his chest without hesitation? He lifted her easily into his arms--the grace of the motion sending a shiver of excitement south.

When she did look down, they were airborn, the Lexor a grey rectangle beneath them. Soon, the whole city lay like a carpet beneath their feet. The buildings like a golden mesh, the roads like strings of pearls winding their way through.

Superman paused, leaning forward a little to give Lois and himself a better view. Neither spoke. Words weren't necessary.

After a moment, Lois stretched one arm out, needing to feel the distance between herself and the city below. It was almost as if it pulsed right beneath her fingertips.

"Ah!" She let out a startled cry, drawing her hand back into her chest. It felt as though her fingertips had been burned.

"Be careful," Superman warned. "Are you alright?"

Lois rubbed her fingertips together, feeling them tingle and return to life. They felt so cold!

"My body gives off an aura of sorts. It what allows me to lift large objects, like cars and ships, without distorting them. It's also what allows me to take you up this high. The aura protects you from the elements. It's forty below up here."

"Oh." Lois' eyes widened and she snuggled tighter against the firm, warm body beside her. She looked up into Superman's eyes, watching the golden light from below make them dance. He was so powerful, yet he carried himself with such ease. Was it natural? To be able to exert the right force to shift asteroids, then to gently take a human in his arms? Or did it come from years of practice? Years of taking doors off hinges and accidently seeing through walls you'd rather have not? A giggle escaped before she could quell it.

"What?" He regarded her warily.

Lois shook her head, returning her focus to the city below. "It's so peaceful up here. I was just thinking that this is the way Metropolis--the world--was meant to be seen. It's so beautiful, magical. You wouldn't think there could be so much strife down there."

Superman shook his head. "Magical yes." He looked at Lois. "Beautiful, definitely. But peaceful, no. I can hear them. All of them." He gestured towards Metropolis. "There cries of joy and pain. No, it's not so peaceful here. But I know what you mean. If you go up higher, the city looks like a golden grain amidst deep black velvet. A tiny jewel in the night. The air is so thin that sound can't travel that far. It gets carried away on the wind below."

Lois tried to picture all of Metropolis--her apartment, the Daily Planet, Clark, the Lexor, all on a grain of rice. "Take me up there."

Again, Superman shook his head. "I would love to show you that world, Lois, but I can't. The air is too thin."

She frowned, but was quickly distracted by Superman dropping one arm, letting her legs slide down his body. "Here, balance on my feet." He turned her so that each heel could find purchase on one shoe, her back against his chest. Using the gentle pressure of his fingertips to keep her balanced, he drew his hands up from her waist, along her sides and out to her fingertips, where he lightly took hold of her.

Lois shivered, first at the warm trail his fingers left on her body, then at the wild sensation of feeling completely free, flying above the world. It was almost as though she were up here under her own power! The gentle breathing against her neck reminded her of her companion, and she turned her head a little towards his cheek to whisper, "Thank you."

She extended her arms, his following protectively along hers. She gestured to one side, and he flew them along that way a bit. She gestured to the other, and they returned. Lois giggled. "I once said that I'd rather be invisible than fly, if given the choice." She gestured up and he flew them a little higher. "I may change my mind."

Superman laughed warmly into her ear. "I'd pick flying with you any day."

Something inside Lois seemed to break free with his words. She darted her arm upward, not questioning the force with which they rose. It was the force of her own heart, beating wildly with a thousand fantasies realized.

"I'll hold my breath."

"What?"

"If you take me up high, where the world is so peaceful. I'll hold my breath."

A deep chuckle reverberated against her back. "You couldn't hold your breath long enough. I'd have to fly slow, to keep from hurting you."

Hurting me? I feel invincible right now. "How much air can you hold?"

Superman raised an eyebrow.

"I've seen you create gusts large enough to put out house fires. You have to have some serious lung capacity to manage that. And when you destroyed Nightfall, the EPRAD scientists said you could hold your breath for twenty minutes. Why don't you hold your breath too? And when I run out of air, I'll borrow some of yours."

His face split into a grin. "You don't give up, do you?"

"Never." Lois smiled confidently, knowing that she had won.

"Okay, but when you start to feel light-headed, nudge me and I'll give you a breath."

Lois nodded eagerly and they began to rise. Soon, breathing hurt and Lois drew in a deep breath. She'd been on the swim team in high school, but her lungs no longer had the capacity they once did. Not even a minute passed before she choked, her lungs forcing the air out of her mouth.

Her mind panicked only for a moment, then warm lips crashed against hers, forcing her mouth open. A current of air pushed into her body, the flavor of champagne and...was that chocolate? Superman withdrew, and Lois barely caught herself before sighing away the air she'd just recieved.

Wow. Remind me to need resuccitation in the near future. She wondered vaguely if there were any homicides near Hobbe's Bay that needed close investigation.

Beneath them, the city lights grew dimmer. Lois brought her hand down and nudged Superman's waist. She released her breath as his lips met hers again. She breathed deeply.

Damn good thing she didn't swim anymore.

The air around them grew cooler. The temperature gradient must be extreme, Lois mused, if even Superman's aura could be permeated. He must have felt her tremble, because he drew his cape around them, closing her into its warmth. He supported her waist as she turned in his arms, laying her cheek against his shoulder. She traced his chin with her fingers, feeling whoozy again, and he dropped his lips to hers for another breath.

Was it her imagination or did he linger, his top lip resting against her bottom for just a moment longer than before? His attention was now below them. He came to a stop, smiling softly at something below.

Lois pulled her cheek away, stairing downward, but all she could see was a dark void. Superman pointed into it, at what must be Metropolis, but Lois shook her head. She couldn't see anything at this distance.

She followed the light against arm, looking up for the first time. God! The curve of the earth could be seen from here. The sun setting against it in the distance. All was black except for the shining sun, just beyond Superman's head, and the crescent it left on the earth.

This time she did choke. Superman's lips were over hers in an instant. Those life-giving lips. She breathed, placing her hand against his neck to hold him in place. How could he focus his attention below, at a speck she couldn't even see, when *this* lay before him. The majesty of creation. All the earth a shining bauble.

He pulled away, smiling into her eyes, and she couldn't help herself. She tugged on his neck, lifting her lips to his cheek. She pressed a kiss there. Then another on his forehead. His nose next.

Then his lips were on hers. She wasn't sure who'd put them there, but it didn't matter. This time they did linger, running her bottom lip between his before taking hold. A gentle tug, followed by a smoothing motion, and soon she was lost, breathless as he plundered her mouth.

Her stomach was in her throat and she knew they must be sinking. He darted his tongue into her mouth and she sucked it gently before sucking in another breath. He must be supporting her, she mused distantly, her feet were no longer on his.

When they finally pulled away from eachother--just far enough to rest their foreheads together--Lois found she could breath again on her own. She took the opportunity to sigh.

All to soon, Superman pulled back, and Lois was shocked to see the worry lining his face. "What's wrong?"

He shook his head. "I'm so sorry, Lois. I never meant... We can't do this. I can't do this." He indicated between them. "With anyone. It isn't right."

God, he was taking it back. Not just the kiss. Everything. His whole world, the secret places he shared with no one, everything he'd shown her, shared with her. She could feel him withdrawing. His hold on her body becoming more distant.

"Not right? I've never felt anything more right!"

But he was shaking his head again. "I'm so sorry." He was looking everywhere but at her. Lois looked down. Metropolis. A carpet so close she could step out onto it.

And he could fly away.

She looked up into his eyes. Stoic. Tired. He was already gone. She shivered, despite the warmth that surrounded her. "Take me home."

He paused, looking at her as though to say something. Whatever it was, he changed his mind, nodding grimly. He set her down on her balcony, the gentle whoosh indicating he'd left without another word. But there would be.

Lois Lane doesn't give up.