PART TEN

Clark swam into consciousness aware only of the supreme discomfort of the concrete floor he was laying on. Charging into the LexChem plant, he had prepared himself for all sorts of pain. Kryptonite in all it possible manifestations, then after his powers had been robbed, he had thought the Guardians would torture him, breaking bones, electrocution, and stuff. But the cold hard flatness he was currently being subjected to brought about a discomfort he never thought possible. Clearing his throat, he found his voice.

“Live on the edge a bit, eh Lois? Take some chances?”

“Clark, you’re awake!”

“What was it you said? You can’t plan for everything in life?”

“That’s right Mr I-have-rules-for-everything. You needed to taste the freedom of spontaneity for once. Don’t you feel liberated?”

“Lois I can’t move.”

Although inexplicable paralysis would normally frighten him, he felt safe and calm simply because Lois was there.

“They injected you with a paralytic.”

“Oh.” Clark experimentally tried wiggling his toes. No luck. However, he could turn his head around. He craned his neck to see Lois sitting beside him. A much better view than the blank wall he had previously been staring at. “I think it’s wearing off.” She smiled down at him.

“That’s great Clark! Soon we’ll be getting out of here!”

“How?”

“I’ll think of something. And if I don’t, you will.” Lois’ face was set with determination. That look of pig-headed optimism reminded Clark once again of how much he loved her.

“I love you Lois. So much.” She gave him a sad smile.

“Funny how I have to wait for you to be paralyzed to hear it.”

“Lois…?” She sighed with frustration.

“It’s just that you’ve been going nonstop since this whole thing started. And I understand that, I do. But…” She blushed furiously. “I feel so stupid saying this.”

“Saying what? Lois, what’s wrong?”

“We’ve just started something between us Clark. And it seems like we haven’t had any time together to… explore that. You’ve been so busy trying to protect everyone and nab the Guardians which is important, but it’s just that it doesn’t leave much time for the other important stuff.” Her blush increased. “Listen to me! I didn’t know I could be this needy-”

“No Lois, you’re right.” Thinking over the last few days, Clark realized all the times she had been there for him and he hadn’t been there for her. “And I’ll make it up to you Lois, I promise. When this is all over-”

“When what is over Clark? When we nab the Guardians? When the media attention dies down?” Her eyes blazed at him. “Because you know that there’s just going to be another group that could take their place. And the media are never going to leave you completely alone Clark. It’s never going to be all over so you need to say what you want to say now and do what you want to do now.” She was right. He strained to reach her face with his hand, but his arm refused to move. He gave a frustrated grunt.

“I wish I could touch you Lois.”

“You can Clark. With your words.” She looked straight into his eyes, urging him to open up to her. Taking a deep breath, Clark plunged into the depths of his heart.

“I love you Lois Lane. More than I ever could’ve hoped possible.” Drawing strength from her gaze, he continued. “When Diana Stride first aired her program I thought my life was over. I thought that whatever relationship we had would die when you saw that I had lied to you about all those important things. But you were…amazing. You stuck by me. You supported me even when I didn’t support you. I was off trying to be Superman and Clark Kent all at the same time; trying to hold my life together and trying to keep the people I care about safe. You stayed beside me and showed me a love that was more compassionate and understanding and perfect than I could ever think of. I want to show you that love Lois. You deserve that and so much more than I could ever give you.” Slowly, the use of his limbs was returning to him. Clumsily, he stroked the hand that he held in his. Her eyes sparkled with tears. The good kind.

“Clark, you have shown me that love. Every time you get me my coffee in the morning, and every time you smile at me in that special way. Every time you listen to me go off on one of my rants, never criticizing, always accepting. You show me that love in the way that you understand me as no one else does and the way that I can trust you like no one else. It’s all the little things and all the big things you’ve done for me in all the time we’ve known each other that I see your love.” She bent down and kissed him gently. Clark yearned to pull his arms around her, but his sluggish limbs refused to cooperate. Lois snuggled beside him on that cold floor and Clark listened to the sound of her breathing. In. Out. In. Out.

“Has it been that bad?” she asked, breaking the silence. “Having everyone know that you’re Superman?” Adjusting to her train of thought, Clark mulled the question over.

“Parts of it have been good,” he explained. “I didn’t like lying to you, and now that I can be 100% truthful, it’s much better. And that’s the same for my friends too. I don’t have to make stupid excuses, or pretend to run away whenever there’s trouble. Also, it’s nice to not have to hide certain things about myself in public anymore. I don’t have to pretend to need a cab, or to heat up coffee in the microwave. I can be more myself.”

“But?”

“But I lost something when the truth came out. Before, I fitted into society. I was accepted as a person like any other. Now, I’m always being set apart. The world isn’t ready to accept Superman as a person. Everyone with the exception of you, Perry, Jimmy, and my parents treats me with such distance. Like they’re afraid to get close to me or something.” Frustration bubbled up inside him “How am I supposed to function when everyone refuses to look past my ‘oddities’? Will I ever get to at least pretend I have a normal life?” Lois opened her mouth to speak, but Clark cut her off before she could say anything. He didn’t want to talk about it anymore. There was nothing she could do to change the situation and he wasn’t in the mood for empty platitudes. “I think I might be able to stand if you’ll give me a hand.” Understanding Clark’s pain, Lois dropped the previous conversation.

“Okay.” Clark’s limbs moved slowly and awkwardly as he tried to wrestle himself off the ground. Leaning heavily on the wall, and with the support of Lois he was able to rise up on his feet. He took a few shuffling steps and glanced reassuringly at Lois.

“I’m fine,” he said. “I think I just need to walk it off a bit.”

Suddenly, the door banged open. Clark swiveled around, trying to discover the source of the noise. This violent movement was too much for his off-balance body and he fell to the ground as two people rushed in, pointing guns straight at Clark and Lois. Cursing his inability to respond, Clark struggled to stand up.

“I wouldn’t try that Superman,” a voice called from the doorway. Glancing over to the entrance Clark saw a petite female stride into the room, commanding attention. Her rust colored hair surrounded a hardened face that had deep wrinkles etched into it although she was probably only in her late thirties. “The paralytic we injected you with also robbed you of your powers and although we are not to harm Miss Lane, if you risk her life by trying to attack us we will have to kill her.” Clark stilled. Slowly he became aware of a dull ache coursing through his bones. Did she have kryptonite?

“Your voice…” Lois said.

“Yes Miss Lane, I was the one who spoke on that videotape you received. I see that you’re more than just a typical dimwitted female. Which makes it all the more surprising that you and your alien partner here raced down to this plant as soon as your junior spy reported back to you. Did you even consider the possibility that it could be a trap? Did you think that we didn’t know that he had followed me here? I see that legends of you impulsivity have not been exaggerated at all.” The kryptonite wasn’t as painful as his other recent exposures, but it clouded his thoughts, making it difficult to follow the conversation. Had they really been expecting him and Lois? That would explain the well organized ambush they came across. But Lois was speaking again; he forced himself to pay attention.

“…knew we were coming here? What are you planning to do with us?”

“Nothing for the time being Miss Lane. We just needed a clear way as we took our justly revenge on the Planet. With you and Superman out of the picture we can continue with our plan. After that… well I won’t spoil what we have planned for the alien.”

“What about Lois?” Clark asked, forcing the ache from his body. The woman smiled down on him, sending chills through his body.

“Rest assured Superman; as long as you behave yourselves Miss Lane is perfectly safe. I will not give orders for her to be harmed.” The woman nodded to the guards. The one in front of Clark swooped down and cuffed him across the jaw. Pain flared as he saw a flash of green clasped within the man’s hand. Lois cried out and rushed towards him. Taking advantage of the distracted pair, the two guards and the woman left the room, slamming the door closed after them. With the removal of the kryptonite, Clark immediately felt better. He pulled himself into a sitting position and felt the tenderness around his jaw. It wasn’t broken, but it did feel swollen and bruised.

“I’m alright Lois,” he murmured. “One of the guards had kryptonite, but it’s gone now so I’ll be alright.”

“Are you sure Clark?”

“Yeah.” He reached up and stroked her cheek gently. “See? Even the paralytic has worn off.” Lois put her hand over his. They smiled hesitantly at each other, an exchange of emotional support. Then Lois suddenly switched into reporter mode.

“That woman. She was the Leader Jimmy was talking about.” Clark frowned.

“Are you sure Lois? Wouldn’t Jimmy have said something if the woman he was following turned out to be the Leader?”

“But they knew he was watching the whole time Clark. They probably deceived him into thinking the Leader wasn’t actually there.”

“Or it could mean that the Leader really wasn’t actually there.”

“Clark it all fits.” Lois was starting to work herself up as she always did when presenting a theory. “She’s the only woman we’ve seen so far in a primarily male organization, yet she was bossing those two guys around and talking about giving orders. That must mean she’s pretty high up. She’s older than all of the other members we’ve seen so far. Also, she was the one to speak on that tape. It makes perfect sense!” she finished triumphantly.

“Okay let’s say she is the Leader. How does that help us capture them and escape?” Lois deflated.

“It doesn’t really. But maybe if we figure out the hierarchy then we can find a way to manipulate it or something.” Clark looked at her doubtfully. “Okay, maybe not, but there has to be something we can do to get us out of this mess!” Silence descended on the pair as they searched the barren room looking for a way out.

A bang and scuffling noises from the ceiling drew their eyes up to the air vent. Muffled grunts could be heard, and a shower of dust fell as the grill popped out of its place and crashed to the floor. Two feet appeared followed by an entire body falling through the hole and landing awkwardly on the ground. The interloper got up and shakily brushed himself off; then turned to give a victorious smile to Lois and Clark. Clark had never been more surprised or glad to see a person in his life.

“Jimmy?!!”