As stated in the subject this story does come to you in 2 parts. Yes, it is LONG, but lol, I hope you enjoy reading it as I truly did writing my first L and C fan fic. It's for Editor Jax who requested a story in which there was L and C romance, L and C discuss having children and someone else learns the secret. Her preferred season was season 4. This tale would occur in "season 5."

Thank you very much to Laura for all your time and suggestions! smile And thank you, Lab Rat, for your kindness in hopefully not throwing any Kryptonite my way for the couple changes to the story I made after submitting it. Sorry! I also just submitted both parts of this story, with some minor last minute edits to the archive as one piece. I feel on here it made more sense length wise to have them by 2 parts, but it probably reads better and feels better to me as one. There you have it.
Enjoy!

Mona

Prologue

Lois and Clark have been happily married for nearly a year and half and have been invited to Smallville to spend Clark’s 32nd birthday, his second as a married man, with his parents. While touched and appreciative, both L and C were not initially thrilled with the invitation as well…they were (in their minds) still newlyweds, who would have preferred to stay home. However, with insistence from Martha and hints of a special surprise for them both, our favorite younger couple agreed and this story begins with all four Kent’s gathered around the dining room table, having just finished dinner.

One other brief note is that while Lois has not yet fully embraced the idea of becoming a mother, neither she nor Clark would be against the idea, should she actually get pregnant. This story also follows the show’s writing that Dr. Klein has informed Superman he is supposedly incompatible with an Earth woman as well as L and C’s failure to thus far adopt successfully. In terms of the series, this story might fall into the unaired fifth season.

To Clark (and Lois), With Love

As the last sweet notes of “Happy Birthday, dear Clark” ended, Martha and Jonathan exchanged secret smiles while almost simultaneously giving voice to the words “it’s time.”

Clark, who of course, heard his parent’s whisper, looked toward them expectantly, before glancing at Lois for a clue. Lois, however, was still entranced by the double layer, homemade cake with chocolate frosting that Martha had set before Clark just moments ago and was oblivious to everything else around her.

“Earth to Lois!” teased Clark, trying to break the reverie his wife was lost in.

Lois, smiling awkwardly, “Huh? Oh, sorry.” She reddened upon noticing 3 sets of eyes were upon her with amusement. “I zoned out for a moment there, looking at the cake…all of you know how much I love chocolate…” She trailed off finally feeling the impending excitement in the house.

The three Kents laughed and Clark gave his wife a quick kiss. And then with a glint in his eye he said, “If you are good, maybe I’ll let you have some of *my* cake!

“Well if *you’re * good, maybe I’ll will share some of *my* piece with you,” replied Lois seductively.

“You will, will you?” Clark’s lips whispered against Lois’ ear.

“Ahem!”

At once the spell was broken and Clark and Lois snapped to attention, remembering that Jonathan and Martha were present.

Clark did manage to sneak in a quiet “we will continue this later,” before composing himself to face his parents.

“Sorry Mom, Dad, guess we got, uh, carried away….”

The elder Kents burst out laughing, much to the chagrin of both Clark and Lois.

“Mo-om!”

“Oh Clark.” Martha said. She enveloped her son in a hug and then reached out to Lois. “You know your father and I couldn’t be happier for you. For both of you.”

“That’s right, son,” continued Jonathan, giving Clark and Lois quick hugs as well. “We love both of you so much. Even if well…” stopped a red-faced Jonathan midway.

“After a year and a half of marriage, Clark and I still sometimes act like a couple of newlyweds? Lois finished, saving Jonathan a little shred of grace.

“Yeah, that.” Said Jonathan meekly.

“If the three of you are quite finished,” demanded Martha, while trying to maintain a stern face, “can we move into the living room so Jonathan and I can give Clark his gift from us? “

“I’m waiting,” said Clark, who had super-sped himself into the living room and was sitting impatiently on the sofa, eying the packages before him.

“And you better not have x-rayed all the gifts yet, either.” Martha said as she and Jonathan took chairs on the other side of the coffee table, opposite the couch where both Clark and Lois now sat.

“I wouldn’t dare. But I certainly am curious, especially as to the contents of that large packing box sitting in the corner as though it were hiding.”

“Then listen.” Martha requested as all eyes focused on her. “Clark for 32 years, your father and I have been blessed with your presence and love. My dream of becoming a mother came true that beautiful spring day when we found you. Since then, my life gained new meaning and felt complete in a way I never dreamed it could. It is true that you are a hero to millions on a daily basis and for that your father and I could not be prouder…”

“Even if we still worry every time we see a flash of red and blue on television at night.” Jonathan interrupted softly.

Clark reached across the coffee table to squeeze his father’s hand.

“But, you have been and always will be my hero for your innate kindness and desire to see the good in all people even though you are a constant witness to humanity’s darkest side.” Martha was crying now and so the task fell to Jonathan to finish their thoughts.

“I love you, son. It has been and always will be my honor and privilege to have you as my son. Like your mother, I cannot imagine my life without you and am so thankful to have you in it. You are a super man. Even if I still don’t understand why your mother insisted on fashioning your costume out of tights.” Jonathan concluded in an attempt to lighten things up.

In one swift, super movement the three Kents were locked in one another’s embrace. A few seconds later, Lois was enveloped in the hug, completing the circle.

“So, do I get to open my presents now?” asked Clark in a playful, little boy voice.

“Even without *super * senses, I know you two, “ Lois indicated Martha and Jonathan, “Have got something special up your sleeve. And I for one am tired of waiting to know what it is!”

“Then you will be happy to know Lois, that Jonathan and I have you to thank for making Clark’s main gift possible,” Martha responded as she picked up a medium sized box and handed it to Clark.

For once Lois was stopped in her tracks and sat quietly as Clark opened the package to reveal a beautifully hand crafted, collage style picture frame. Tears misted in his eyes as he gazed at and felt the love in the pictures before him. For a few moments he was simply entranced by the memories before him. There was, however, also a mystery. The picture frame was made to hold five pictures; currently, only four resided within it. Clark gave his parents a questioning look, while Lois at last set her eyes upon his gift.

“The first picture is perhaps the most special to us,” Martha said, beginning to share the story of Clark’s gift with Lois. “It was taken a month or so after we found Clark and finally allowed ourselves the gift of moving forward, knowing that somehow Clark was ours forever.”

Lois focused in on the first picture and saw a 4 month old Clark, who appeared to be almost smiling as he gazed wide eyed at the balloons, gifts, food and neighbors around him, while being held by Martha and surrounded by Jonathan.

“It was a hot June with not a cloud in the sky,” Jonathan reminisced, having picked up the story from his wife. “Martha and I had decided the time had come to have a small welcoming for Clark among our neighbors. It was a risk, but in our hearts we knew we had to do this to be able to move on with our lives and also honor our new son by starting to let him live his. So we invited half a dozen other families as well as some townsfolk to an early evening potluck, a belated baby shower/christening ceremony, if you will. We were so proud of our son and even though we never went a moment without fearing for his safety should his unique arrival be discovered, we wanted to show him off and allow him to meet the people he’d be growing up with.”

“I don’t know if under similar circumstances I would have had the courage to do that, but I admire you both even more for it.” Lois admitted.

“Ever since, my Mom and Dad have made sure that I never went without knowing not only their love, but the feeling of being part of our Smallville community.”

The second picture showed an ecstatic 6 year- old Clark, petting the noble head of a black Labrador puppy, his birthday gift.

“I loved Star, so much. I even named him as a thank you to my parents for making my wish upon a star come true.”

“We included his picture in this frame not only as a memory for Clark, but to honor our old friend for what he gave to us. You see, Lois, even at such a young age, Clark’s unique heritage had begun to emerge and he often felt a little out of place and lonely. Martha and I wanted him to have a friend all his own who he could share whatever he wanted or needed to without having to remember to keep his emerging abilities a secret.”

“I think the third picture of you and Clark on your wedding day speaks for itself, Lois. As we told you then and will again, now and forever, Jonathan and I may have given Clark roots and all the love we have, but it was you, Lois, who have allowed him to have a home. A touchstone outside of this house forever.”

Martha and Jonathan gracefully exited for the kitchen, muttering something about it being high time to cut the cake.

With tears in his eyes and a big goofy smile on his face, Clark, captured Lois’ lips and embraced her as tightly as he dared without hurting her. There was no need for words.

Sometime later, over the decadent cake, conversation returned to the pictures and Clark was asked to bring the frame into the kitchen. He did so, and along with the rest of his family, smiled in memory at the 4th picture, which was taken of all of them standing in front of their Christmas tree, just a few months ago courtesy of the new digital camera Lois had bought for her in-laws.

When questioned about the mysterious blank slot in the frame, Jonathan whisked the other three members of his family back into the living room and instructed Clark to bring the until-now nearly hidden huge brown box over to the couch.

“This gift is for both of you, kids, with all our love. Please open it together.”

With Lois’ help, Clark’s crib soon stood proudly before them, having been cleaned up and polished to a sparkling shine by Jonathan and Martha.

“We believe somehow, someway, be it biologically, through adoption, or via your very own Schuster’s Field, the two of you will be blessed with a child of your own. It simply has not happened yet”

“The empty slot in the frame,” whispered Lois, as she and Clark embraced one another and then thanked Jonathan and Martha.

For a few moments thereafter, each of the Kents sat quietly, lost in their thoughts.

“Whenever you’re ready Clark,” Martha broke the silence by saying, “you can open the rest of your gifts.

Clark opened his smaller gifts and discovered: a book he had been wanting for a long time, a couple of CD’s, along with a super soft flannel shirt. While he was busily doing this, Lois whispered in a voice that only his ears could hear “If you’re really good, mister, perhaps in a little while, if Superman is available that is to fly us home, you might just get a very special * private * gift that I happen to have waiting for you.” This time, Clark managed to control his response and simply said a soft “I can’t wait.”

After straightening up the living room and treating themselves to a little more of Martha’s amazing cake, it was time to call the evening a night.

“Clark, “ began Martha giving her husband some silent signal to agree with her, “Why don’t you go fly the crib and your other gifts home and then come back for Lois. I take it you, two were not planning on spending the night here?”

For the umpteenth time that evening an exasperated cry of “MOM!” resounded throughout the kitchen, nearly shattering the windows.

“Oh come give your mother a kiss goodnight and then do what I asked! Martha demanded with a knowing smile at Clark.

Clark obeyed and then without a word, he grabbed the crib and took off into the star filled Kansas night sky.

Lois, meanwhile, was feeling proud of herself for holding back so far in demanding an explanation, while simultaneously feeling nervous as what may be to come.

“Jonathan, weren’t you going to make sure the animals are all bedded down for the night and then lock the house up?” Martha ordered questioningly.

“Yes, Dear,” replied one Jonathan Kent, having learned the hard way a few times over the course of his marriage when it was time to follow his own advice to Clark and simply do as Martha wished.

“Lois, don’t look so worried!” chided Martha giving her daughter-in-law a hug. “I merely wanted us to have a couple minutes alone so that I could talk to you privately.”

Lois, still not quite knowing what to say, merely gave a half smile and nodded to Martha.

“First of all, as you * better * know by now, Jonathan and I are beyond thankful that Clark has you. You enable Clark Kent to have a life and one he honestly never dreamed he’d have. Secondly, I wanted to apologize to you if it seemed like giving you two, Clark’s crib seemed rash or as if we were somehow putting you down or being oblivious to the fact that you and Clark have already had your share of disappointments and frustration fertility and adoption wise. The road to motherhood may not even be one that you even * want * to take, though I daresay, I know you well enough to know that even if your mind is not fully around to the idea of becoming a mother, your heart is. I know how disappointed you sounded a few months ago. ”

Never one to argue the truth, especially against a woman after her own tenacious spirit, Lois replied: “The truth is I still cannot envision myself a mother. Me! The woman, who, as Clark likes to tease, will jump headfirst into anything without thinking twice or looking back. I can be incredibly selfish and domineering, not too mention the fact that as you already know, I wasn’t lucky the way Clark was to have been brought up surrounded by the kindness, love, and support of two amazing parents. Clark was born to be a father. He will be the greatest dad the world has ever seen, that I know without question. I don’t want to take that away from him yet, ” Lois continued to babble as Martha wiped a tear from the younger woman’s face. “Besides, I can’t even cook!”

“I will be happy to give you some cooking lessons, my dear, in fact I happen to have one in mind already.” A strong and familiar voice said.

“Clark! How long…?”

“Have I been standing here?”

Lois nodded

“ Only for a few seconds. I just helped Dad finish up and saw him safely inside before coming in here to get my beautiful wife. That is, if I have my mother’s permission to take you home?”

“And Lois, any child that has you as its mother will be beyond lucky. But let’s continue talking about this at home. It’s getting late. Mom, have a good night and thank you again for everything. You and Dad made this a very special birthday for me.”

Clark started to walk toward the front door, giving Martha a quick second to whisper to Lois. “You have a family now Lois. Jonathan and I love you very much and think of you as a daughter. That’s right. Not the hallmark card saying of “like a daughter” but as a daughter. I hope you know that by now! Whatever you and Clark decide or should happen we are on your side and with love. Never forget that or the fact that anytime you need us we are only a phone call or flight away.”

For one of the few times in her relatively young life, Lois was able to reply with an ‘I love you, Mom” “And thank you.”

Clark graciously had waited outside and smiled when Lois indicated she was ready to go home.

With one last wave to his mom, Clark scooped up his wife and in an instant the two of them had taken off in whirl of red and blue.

“Those two are sure lucky to have another.” Jonathan remarked, having just come into the entryway to lock the front door.”

“As are we, to have them and most of all each other.” Martha responded quietly as she kissed her husband. “Let’s get going to bed. It’s already after 10!”

Back home in Metropolis, after putting away Clark’s gifts and leaving the crib in what both hoped might one day become the nursery, Lois made good on her earlier promise of giving her husband that * private * gift. Afterwards, the couple snuggled together in their bed and Clark was nearly asleep with the hint of happy smile playing at his lips. Lois sighed as she watched her handsome husband sleep peacefully and for the millionth time thanked the stars above for bringing her Clark Kent.

She, however, remained restless, with thoughts of being an unworthy mother haunting her very being. There was no doubt in her mind that she was loved and in return loved Martha Kent as a mother and there were times this reality left her in awe. Yet the concept of Lois Lane becoming a mother still was almost foreign to her. Although as Martha tactfully hinted at earlier, Lois was admittedly devastated a few months ago upon learning she was not pregnant. That must mean her grief lay deeper than simply at knowing Clark would be disappointed, didn’t it? Perhaps in the morning she would be ready to share this thought with Clark.

The next day, thankfully was Sunday and so Lois and Clark did not have to worry about rising early for work. After her fitful night’s sleep, Lois was not that surprised to discover that she had slept until nearly 11!

“My sleeping beauty has arisen!” joked Clark as he kissed his wife good morning in the living room where he had been reading.

“Somehow, though, I still feel tired.” Admitted Lois as she joined her husband on the couch. You, however, were out like a light! I thought Superman did not need much sleep?”

“He doesn’t need as much sleep as human, that is true. But, honey after last night, even the man of steel needed to catch some zzz’s.” responded Clark happily.

“You did seem to enjoy your gift.”

“Always. Can I make you something for breakfast? Or, would you be interested in taking advantage of a * free * cooking lesson? Clark hinted seductively.

“As much as you know I would love another uh * lesson * there’s something we need to talk about first. Or maybe I should have some something to eat first…” Lois continued to babble long enough for Clark to make her some tea and toast without her even noticing he had left.

Hesitantly, Lois took a bite and sip and then gave her concerned husband a shaky smile. “It’s okay, Clark. I’m fine. I just have been thinking….”

“Lois my parents meant well by giving us the crib but if you’d rather I returned it” began Clark being stooped by Lois’ hand on his mouth.

“Not at all. Although I will admit that when I first saw the crib my immediate thought was, how could you? Both your parents, your mother especially, knew how much that, even non maternal me, had hoped a few months ago that I was pregnant.”

Noticing that her husband was about to say something, Lois silenced him and said, “I need to say this Clark so please just let me finish. The reason Martha wanted some private time with me was to explain about the crib. She instinctively knew I’d probably be feeling hurt as well as perhaps a little angry. She just felt it might be easier on us both if she explained her reasoning when it was just the two of us present.”

A brief silence followed and Clark, as always supportive, simply held Lois’ hand as she took another bite of her breakfast before continuing. “You have the greatest mother in the world, Clark.” Lois began.

“And the greatest wife; who is putting off telling me something! Lois, you have to know by now you can tell me anything. You do, don’t you?” finished Clark hopefully but with a trace of worry in his voice.

“I do, which is probably why this is so hard to tell you! Don’t you hear any cries for help? Someone that needs Superman?”

“Lois! Unless there was a major, and I mean major catastrophe or some other form of impending doom, there is no where I need or would rather be than right here with you. Now please just tell me, honey. I can’t take all this tension anymore nor how it’s eating away at you.”

“Well when you put it like that! All right Clark,” said Lois turning serious. A few months ago when it seemed like I was pregnant, only later to discover that I wasn’t, instead if my expected feeling of relief, I honestly felt more depressed than I have had in my whole life save the time I thought you were dead. I felt as if a part of me ….of us…had failed and in that sense died. I know how much you want to be a dad. I also know beyond a shadow of a doubt what an incredible one you will be. What I don’t know, or if I am being honest with myself, am not ready to admit to knowing, is that while the idea of motherhood still scares me and leaves me horrified at thoughts of how I might destroy a child, recently I have slowly started to work past those fears and embrace the possibility. I just wish there was a way to * know * that everything would work out okay. Clark, it would break my heart, no break me, if I hurt any child of ours in anyway especially since I know that kind of pain all too well. That above all else has been what is haunting me…”

“And has been preventing you, not your past, deciding whether you want to give motherhood a shot?” Clark finished in a hushed voice laced with tears, as he gave Lois a huge hug.

“Yes.”

“Lois, please look at me,” urged Clark wiping a few last tears from his wife’s face.

“I also was and in a small way, still am, afraid that you might hate me.” Lois confessed hastily.

Her admission nearly shot Clark upright and through the ceiling and it was now his turn to try and calm down before responding. Even so, his face was whiter than a ghost.

Without thinking Clark hugged and then kissed his wife with a passion and fire that could have ignited a forest.

“It’s a good thing I am invulnerable or a heart attack might have just taken me! Please don’t ever and I mean EVER think for one millisecond that I could hate you! Lois, I love you with every fiber of my being. I might continue to exist without you but I certainly would not live. “

“I love you so much Clark and as always thank you for putting up with me. I guess it’s time for me to find a way to love myself more.”

“I will do anything that I can to help you work through this. Just please, Lois, promise me you don’t think I hate you?” Clark begged.

“Even if I never become pregnant or ruin or future child’s life?” Lois questioned in a level voice.

“Lois first of all, my love, my eternal love and admiration for you is for you, not based any future children your body might help bring us! Secondly and, in it’s own way even more vital, is the fact, that any child of ours will be beyond lucky to call you his or her mom. You are the most brilliant, dynamic, passionate, tender, person that I am privileged to know and love. It may take you awhile to see love right under your own nose or accept the friendship of others, but once you do, the other person never again has cause to doubt your affection or belief in them. Neither will our future children. That, my dear Lois, is more important, than anything you might cook for them!”

“You sure do always know just what to say, Clark.” Lois replied a little shakily yet with a smile.

“When it comes to my belief in and love for you, it’s as natural to me as breathing.” Clark replied in a heartbeat.

Lois pulled Clark into a long and tender embrace before timidly yet with more conviction than ever before, “Do you really think I’d make a good mother?”

“I know you will. And so do my parents as I, too, finally realized by their gift of my crib. They love and adore you so much, Lois. And didn’t mean to imply anything negative by the crib.”

“Shh, I know that Clark. I knew it just by looking at their faces and seeing their kindness yet concern for my feelings written all over them. You are so lucky to have them Clark.
* I * am so lucky to have them! For the last few years and especially during the time since our marriage, Lois Lane has come to know both the love of a father and a mother. I just hope Perry isn’t jealous!”

“Lois,” laughed Clark, relieved and thankful that the feelings of inadequacy that had apparently haunted his wife to such a degree that she should even fathom he could hate her, had at last vanished, and were replaced by hope and teasing.

Suddenly it was Clark’s turn to look a little forlorn as he really allowed himself to realize the truth that even if Lois should ever want to try and conceive naturally, his alien makeup might not allow her to do so! He awkwardly gave voice to this concern that in truth had been plaguing him ever since he married and possibly ever since he first laid eyes on Lois Lane.

“My God, Lois,” Clark continued, “What if some terrible complication arose and hurt either or you or the baby?”

“Then that’s a chance we take.” Lois responded without a missing a beat. If I heard correctly, someone who sounded awfully confident and a lot like my husband recently said that love is the only thing that matters. Not to mention the fact that our love can conquer anything!”

“Looks like someone else instinctively knows the right thing to say” Clark answered, kissing his wife.

“The true thing. Clark, the only thing is, if we should choose to try and have a child, there might come a time where we would need to confide your secret in the doctor or at least hint at it as a possibility. Dr. Klein?”

Clark nodded affirmatively. “He has proven himself to be trustworthy and loyal to us, so should the time come I would have no qualms about telling him. I also think Perry should know, regardless of our decision, and do so in the not too distant future. I know how much you love him Lois and how, he in turn loves the daughter he has in you. He also has been a wonderful boss and friend to me. I wouldn’t even be too surprised if he even knows my secret already. * Our excuses * aren’t that good after all!

Lois and Clark laughed and then Clark turned serious and asked, “So what should we do now on this beautiful first day of March?”

“Prove to all the doctors in any galaxy that our love for another is powerful enough to create a healthy child!”

“Are you sure? Not that I want to question those beautiful words but I don’t want you to feel rushed or like this is something I am pressuring you to do.”

“It’s something that until this moment * I * did not want to do. Now, however, my lord, the bedroom awaits us.” Teased Lois bowing toward Clark.

Clark could see and even more so feel that the glow radiating from his wife had come at long last from her slaying her own personal demons. Without further hesitation, he swept Lois up and in a flash our favorite young lovers were in their bedroom. Then, not even the end of the world could have stopped them.