Previously in part 1

She stared at Lois as if she couldn't believe she'd just said what she had. "Are you serious?" Lois shrugged helplessly. "Geez... I guess amnesia can make you forget who you are, but I never would have thought it could make you forget *what* you are."

Lois held her hands out in front of her in a gesture of surrender. She had no idea what Cat was talking about. Cat frowned at Lois, appearing to study her quite closely. Finally, she shrugged, as if giving up.

"Lois - you're gay."

And NOW...
A Future Rewound (Lois' Story II) part 2
by Tank

Lois sat there, mouth agape. She couldn't speak. To say her mind was in turmoil would be a gross understatement. She was finding simple acts like breathing hard to do as her brain was so conflicted with startling and confusing thoughts that inconsequential things like remembering to breathe were forgotten.

How was she supposed to deal with all this? The Lois Lane of this world was an opportunistic, conscienceless, unfeeling witch with apparently no ethical standards. Lois, personally, never held any bias against homosexuality, but she was pretty sure that this society wasn't any more enlightened than the one she came from, and so it would just prove to be another complication she'd have to deal with. She resolved to kill H. G. Wells the next time she saw him, but considering what he'd dumped her into the middle of, she doubted she'd see him anytime soon. That left her with one major problem. What was she going to do about it?

The idea of moving in with Cat Grant, from a logical standpoint, made good sense. From what little she'd been able to gather so far. No one seemed to know Lois Lane better than Cat. That meant that no one could probably tell her more about who this Lois used to be than Cat. But exactly how far did the relationship go? And how far would Lois be willing to go to continue in the role of this dimension's deceased reporter?

Lois swallowed and forced her vocal chords out of their shocked paralysis. "So, we were roommates - before?" Cat nodded, a wry smile on her lips. "Does that mean - you're gay - also?" Lois' question came out haltingly.

Cat grinned. "No, not really. I take my sexual pleasures where ever I choose. Be they man, woman, or cute, cuddly farm animals."

"What?"

Cat's laughter was rich and playful. "Just kidding. God, Lois, you are still so easy."

Lois frowned. "So, tell me. Did we ever... I mean, were we ever...?"

Cat wiped a tear of laughter from her eye and favored Lois with a look of compassion. "Intimate? Yes, we were." Cat raised a brow at the look of horror on Lois' face. "But were we lovers? No, we weren't." Cat reached out and took Lois' hand in hers. "Lois, it's obvious that you've lost a lot of who you were. Let me try to explain a few things."

Cat shifted in her chair and took another hit off her drink before she continued. "We played around at love a little bit in the beginning but it was clear right from the earliest times that we were never meant to be lovers. We were best friends, and that became much more important than any fleeting physical gratification that we might have experienced. Hell, Lois, you were probably the only real friend that I had. You convinced Taylor to take me off the society beat and give me a shot as a real investigative reporter. For that alone I'll always be indebted to you."

Lois bit at her lip. "So, I actually did do something nice for someone else? I'm not the totally selfish bi - person you've told me about, at least, not all the time?"

Cat shook her head and smiled sadly across the small table at her. "Lois, you are not a bad person. Not really. I'd think that your volunteering to stay and help those missionaries for all those years would tell you that. It's just that..." Cat had to pause and grope for her words. "You have - issues, when it comes to men. Something happened to you a long time ago. Exactly what, I don't know. You never shared that part of your past. Even with me. But it scarred you. It scarred you badly. It became your mantra, to do unto them before they could do it to you." Cat sighed. "I'm just as confused by this seemingly new person in front of me, as you seemed to be confused by the person that I've told you you used to be. All I know is, the past is past, and this is now. It's ten years later, the best friend I ever had is back from the dead, and I just want us to be friends again." Cat's smile was warm, and a tear snuck out of the corner of her eye. "Do you think we could do that?"

Lois found her own eyes beginning to mist. "Yeah, I think I'd like that. Maybe together we can create a whole new Lois that everybody will like."

A short bark of laughter erupted from Cat. "Well, let's not get carried away." She stood and grabbed the check sitting in the middle of their table. Lois didn't remember seeing the waiter drop it off. "We'd better get back, or Perry will be sending out the dogs looking for us."

Lois rose to follow the enigmatic woman. The mention of Perry brought a frown onto her face. That was just another problem that would have to be dealt with, and sooner rather than later.

As the two women exited the elevator, Cat gave Lois' hand a quick squeeze and promised to get back to her before the day was over. Then, Ms. Grant hurried off in the opposite direction, apparently having things of her own to deal with.

"Ah, Lois, good, you're back. Come on down here. There's someone I'd like you to meet." Lois' attention was drawn to the familiar voice, coming from the not quite so familiar editor-in-chief. She smiled at Perry and began to move toward the ramp down into the bullpen. When she saw who was standing next to Perry she stopped in her tracks.

That was Clark? Lois had to blink a couple of times to make sure she was seeing correctly. Yes, she could tell that the man standing next to Perry White was definitely Clark Kent, but he was not like any Clark Kent she'd ever met. Of course, she'd only met two. Still, it was a bit of a shock to see the young man standing next to Perry and think of the two handsome men she'd known. He wasn't wearing any glasses, but she'd recognize those gorgeous features anywhere. His hair was longer than she'd been used to seeing Clark wear it. It was probably just a bit longer than when she first met her own Clark. But the really distracting thing was not the length of his hair, it was the color. This Clark was blonde!

Lois finally made herself move and soon found herself standing next to Perry, being introduced to a man who was supposed to be this world's counterpart to her husband. She purposefully blanked her mind and let the introductions happen. She couldn't afford to prejudge this Clark based on her experiences with her past best friend and lover. Thoughts of her Clark instantly brought on a melancholy that she'd been trying hard to suppress. It took Perry's voice to shake her out of her doleful musings.

"Lois, I'd like you to meet our newest reporter, well, technically you're going to be our newest reporter... again," Perry shook his head. "You know what I mean."

Perry's momentary babble caused Lois to smile. She took Clark's hand and shook it. "You must be Clark Kent. Hi, I'm Lois Lane."

The smile was the same. It was just the friendly 'glad to meet you' smile that Clark used for meeting new people, but it still had the effect of lighting up a room and causing women to breath just a little quicker. Even his blonde surfer look couldn't disguise that smile; it was pure Clark Kent.

"Hello, Ms. Lane. Mr. White was just telling me a little about you. I can't believe I'm actually getting a chance to meet you. You're practically a legend around here. The older reporters are constantly telling stories about 'Mad Dog Lane'."

"Well, you can't believe everything you hear." Suddenly she was struck by what he'd said. The 'older' reporters? She felt an unexpected chill as she abruptly realized something. This Clark was quite a bit younger than she was. Probably by several years. Maybe about the same age as her Clark was when he first came to the Planet. The only difference now was her. She was older. Several years older. Oh yeah, Wells was definitely a dead man if she ever saw him again.

Perry clapped both of them on the shoulders. "So, since you two are going to be partners for a while. Kent, why don't you take Lois into the conference room and get her up to speed on whatever it is you're currently working on."

Lois couldn't be sure, but she thought she detected just a hint of annoyance on Clark's face when Perry mentioned the partner thing. He quickly smoothed his features and plastered a smile back on his face. It wasn't quite the same smile he'd had earlier. He gave her a half bow, and with a sweep of his hand, indicated that Lois should precede him. She rolled her eyes, shrugged, then moved off toward the conference room.

Once they were both in the conference room, Clark closed the door behind them, and sat down in one of the chairs. Lois had already seated herself. "So, what's the problem?" she asked. "Don't want to be tied down by some old fogy reporter who's been gone for a decade?"

Clark's look was instantly surprised, and embarrassed. "I'm sorry. I didn't think you'd noticed that." The young man didn't look at her directly. "It's just that I thought Perry was beginning to trust me, my instincts. Now..."

"Now, Perry trusts your instincts just fine. In fact he has a higher opinion of your writing than I do." Lois figured the best way to proceed was head on.

Clark slumped in his chair. "Gee, thanks a lot."

Lois snorted. "Don't get all sulky on me. Look, I've read your stuff. It's not bad, and it does show a lot of potential. I can definitely see you have the makings of a fine writer. But you're not there yet." Lois leaned back in her chair and studied the young man for a few moments. "You know, I was a pretty good reporter before I... er, left. And both Perry and I think you can learn some things from me."

Clark shrugged, still not mollified. "Sure, maybe, but no offense, Ms. Lane, you haven't written a news story in nearly ten years."

Lois stood up and began to pace. She did her best thinking on her feet. "I think if we *are* going to be partners for a time, we'd best dispense with the formalities. I'm Lois, and I hope you don't mind if I call you Clark."

"Well, most of the people around here call me CK."

Lois smiled. "I think I'll stick with Clark. I've always liked the name." Lois paused and looked him in the eye. "You're right I haven't written a news story in nearly ten years. But I did manage a couple of Kerth awards in my time under the gun, so maybe I might just know some things that you don't?"

"I heard about how you got that first Kerth," Clark muttered under his breath.

Lois heard anyway, and had to fight back some rising anger. "Let's get one thing straight, Clark. I have never... " Lois suddenly remembered Cat's little story about how the Lois of this world had seduced Claude and stolen his story in order to get her job at the Daily Planet. She turned away and shook her head. Taking a moment to get herself back under control she turned back to him. "Okay, maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Maybe you're right. Maybe I should just go and tell Perry that his idea to pair us up wasn't a good one. I certainly don't want to force myself on someone who doesn't want my help."

Clark frowned. "This was Perry's idea?"

Lois bit her lip. "For the most part."

Clark suddenly found his fingers quite fascinating. "Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to be partnered up with someone of your past background." Clark's voice became stronger, and more positive. "Actually, now that I think about it, it will probably do me a lot of good. There are some things I have trouble with. Like interviewing people and recognizing when they are telling me the truth."

Lois was able to put a smile back on her face. "That's good, because I'd really like this to be a benefit to both of us. You were right. I have been away a long time, and I will need time, and help, to get back into the swing of things. Knowing what to do, and still being able to do it are often very different things." Lois patted Clark's hand. "Besides, I've been severely out of touch for too many years. I'm going to need help just becoming familiar with the world again." Lois sat down again. "So, what are you working on now?"

Clark dropped his head, and looked a bit embarrassed. "Well, it's not really all that much. In fact, I'm beginning to think the guy is nothing but a crackpot."

"What guy? What's his story?"

Clark sighed. "Well, okay. I heard out on the street a few days ago about this guy, name of Hamilton, claimed he could raise the dead..."

Lois sucked in a breath. "Hamilton? Professor Emil Hamilton?"

Clark eyed Lois suspiciously. "Yeah, how did you know?"

Lois suddenly felt like a little child caught with her hand in the cookie jar. "Ah, I'm not sure. Maybe I read something about him somewhere." She grinned sheepishly. "Lucky guess?"

She could tell that Clark wasn't buying what she was selling, but he continued. "Anyway, the word is that he's perfected a process in which he can clone the dead. Literally bring the dead back to life."

Lois found herself beginning to slip back into painful memories. Those two days that she'd thought Clark was dead, after being shot by the resurrected Clyde Barrow. One of the gangsters that Emil Hamilton had brought back to life. It had been the worst two days of her life. She couldn't remember when she'd cried that much before - or since. Then her relief when she'd seen Clark walking toward her that night. He told her that Superman had found his body and had used Hamilton's notes to bring him back. Of course, he hadn't really been dead at all. He was Superman.

He - hadn't - been - dead... Lois' brain suddenly seized on something that she hadn't really thought about, all these years. Clark was Superman, so he'd never really been shot. He'd never really been dead. He hadn't even been hurt.

Lois found a strange combination of hurt and anger rising in her. Clark hadn't even suffered a scratch from the bullets from Clyde's gun, yet he had allowed her to think he was dead for two whole days!

Now that she thought of it, how could he have done such a thing? He claimed to love her, yet he'd let her suffer through some of the worst moments she'd ever had to endure. Sure, he had to play dead to protect his secret. But why hadn't he told her? And even stranger, why was she only just realizing this now?

"Lois. Lois?"

She was snapped back to reality by Clark's puzzled call out. "Mmm, what? I'm sorry, did you say something?"

Clark shook his head in wonder. "I said, I think this guy is probably a nut case, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to talk to him." Clark finally grinned, again. "Man, you really zoned out on me. Where were you?"

Lois blushed. "No where, really. I, ah, was just remembering something."

"Really? What?"

Lois tried to dismiss the issue with the wave of her hand, but she could see that Clark was truly interested. Maybe this was a chance for them to connect on a more informal level. It might give her a chance to see how this Clark's mind worked.

"Oh, it was just something that happened a long time ago. Your mention of Hamilton claiming to be able to bring back the dead brought back the memory."

"Of?"

"I guess you'd call it a prank, or something. I was with someone at a club and it appeared that he was shot dead right in front of me. He was never actually hurt, but it was two days before he told me he was alive."

Clark frowned. "That sounds awfully cruel. Who was this guy? Someone you knew well?"

Lois pursed her lips. "You might say that. At the time we considered each other best friends."

Clark's frown was deeper, causing his brow to furrow in concentration. "That doesn't sound like something a best friend would do. Was there some other reason he might have done it? I mean, beyond just playing a cruel joke on you? If you were best friends, I'd think he'd have to have a pretty good excuse for doing it, and for not telling you sooner that it was all a gag."

Lois shrugged. "I'm sure he thought so."

Clark reached out and touched Lois' hand. "Lois? This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that people thought you were dead for the past ten years, would it?"

Lois' head snapped to. She shook it violently. "No!" she said with quiet vehemence. "I never tried to fool anyone, and... now that I think of it, I'm sure my friend did have good reasons for not telling me. I guess I was just too close to it to understand?"

Clark frowned. "I don't know. Did he ever tell you why he did it? Are you still friends?"

Lois sucked in a breath. She shouldn't have said anything. Now Clark's natural inquisitiveness was taking him places where she didn't want to go. Not yet, anyway.

"It's all water under the bridge now. I guess you could say we are still friends though, obviously, we haven't seen each other for quite some time." Even though what Lois said wasn't really a lie, she allowed Clark to make his own assumption based on what he thought had happened to her.

"Do you know where he is now?"

Lois shrugged. "He's... he's with someone else." She waved off the immediate look of compassion on Clark's face. "That doesn't matter now. I should have never brought it up. Let's forget about that and concentrate on this story." Lois put her business face on. "So, when is this interview and what background information do you have on this guy?"

Clark looked sheepishly at Lois. "Well I haven't actually set up the interview yet. I only just heard about him a couple of days ago."

Lois frowned. "A couple of days ago? And you haven't contacted him yet? Where's he work? What's he a professor of? Where does he live? Does he have any partners, or assistants, anyone who can corroborate his findings?"

Clark blushed furiously. "Ah, I haven't gotten around to checking that out yet. I'd hoped to be able to do some of that today."

Lois stared at the young man for several moments. He clearly didn't have the same work habits she was familiar with. That was something that would have to change. She could see that she'd have her work cut out for her with this Clark Kent. She'd have to teach him how to be Clark Kent before she could consider turning him into a Superman. She was no more certain than ever that H.G. Wells had no plans to show his face back here for a long time. Not unless the man had a death wish.

"Well, I think then that we have some work ahead of us. By the end of the day we need to have all the background on this Hamilton that we can possibly find, and have a plan of attack mapped out." She said it all in one breath.

Clark looked slightly stunned. "A plan of attack? Lois, you make this sound like you're planning some military strategy for a war, not merely a news story."

Lois grinned, as the memory came rushing back. "That's your problem, Clark. You think there's a difference."

He chuckled as he rose and the two of them headed for the conference room door. Before they reached it Lois laid a hand on his arm. He stopped and turned to her. She blushed in embarrassment, but she had to know.

A bit hesitantly, she asked. "I'm sorry if I'm being rude here, but I have to know. I never imagined you as a blonde. Is it natural?"

This time Clark blushed in embarrassment. He shook his head. "No, It's not. My normal hair color is a lot like yours. I did this for my girlfriend. She thought it would look sexy."

Girlfriend! Lois, unobtrusively put a hand on the table to steady her. It just kept getting better and better in this dimension. Just what she needed, some clinging girlfriend to get in the way of her teaching Clark what he'd need to know. Visions of the first alternate Clark and his fiancee, Lana, came rushing back. She hoped, for Clark's sake, that this woman, whoever she was, had a better understanding of who, and what Clark was than Lana had.

A sudden knock on the conference room door pulled Lois back. The cute redhead she saw earlier poked her head into the room. Lois was again reminded of Jimmy. Her hair, which was quite long, hanging past her shoulders to the middle of her back, was the same color as Jimmy's. Even her face seemed to remind her of Jimmy. She wondered if she was just getting homesick.

"Hey, lover," she called out as she winked at Clark. "Are we still on for that late lunch?"

Clark pursed his lips, then looked at Lois. She microscopically shook her head. He turned back to the energetic young woman. "I'm afraid not, Jenny. Ms. Lane and I will be working right through lunch. I've got a lot of research to do on this Hamilton guy I told you about."

The young woman affected a girlish pout. "Oh, poo." She reached out and put her arm, somewhat possessively around Clark's waist.

Clark gave her a squeeze. "Jenny, I'd like you to meet my new partner, Lois Lane. Lois, this is my girlfriend, Jenny Olsen."

Lois' eyes widened at the mention of the woman's name. Than a crooked little smile found its way onto her lips. So that was the reason why she reminded her of Jimmy so much. This world's Jimmy Olsen was a woman. Lois reached out her hand.

"We met briefly but were never introduced. Good to finally know you, Jenny."

Lois could see that Jenny was sizing her up. Checking out this 'old' woman who was going to be spending so much time with her boyfriend. After a few moments pause, Jenny finally accepted Lois' extended hand.
"Good to meet you too, Ms. Lane."

"Oh, please, call me Lois."

Jenny just gave Lois a wary smile. She turned to Clark. "I'm not too happy about missing our lunch date." She turned and gave Lois a calculating look. "But as long as it's for work, I guess I'll have to be understanding."

Clark smiled down at the young redhead. "I'm hoping Lois can teach me a lot."

Jenny's look toward Lois became one of warning. "Just so long as she confines her teaching to news reporting."

"Jenny!" Clark admonished.

She continued as if he hadn't spoken. "After all, you have me to teach you everything else you need to know."

With that she pulled his head down and gave him a deep and demanding kiss. One which Lois could see he readily returned. After releasing him, Jenny turned and gave Lois an insincere smile, then left the room. She didn't normally go in for hyperbole, but if she'd ever seen anyone flounce out of a room before, that was what Jenny Olsen had done.

Lois mind turned again to H. G. Wells and what he'd gotten her into. Only now, his death wouldn't satisfy her. Long drawn out torture and suffering were definitely called for.