This part is a bit short, but I will have more up very soon!

PART SIX

Lois Lane was floating. In this case, figuratively as well as physically. What was it about flying with Clark that was so different than flying with Superman? More intimate maybe. When she was with Superman, she had always felt the need to be polite, and dignified; to protect his honor or something. With Clark, she could snuggle as close as she wanted, she could talk about anything without feeling silly, she could nag him about his navigation skills, and best of all she could kiss him whenever she wanted to…

“Whoa! Lois, as much as I love kissing you, you’re making it kind of difficult to keep a straight line here.” His eyes danced at her. Lois gave a long, extended sigh.

“All right Clark, I’ll try to contain myself, but is it my fault you’re so irresistible?”

“Well, I suppose not. Are you saying that you’ve finally caved to my country-boy charm?”

“Charm has got nothing to do with it flyboy!” He pretended to look wounded as they landed on the roof of the Daily Planet. This morning, Clark had appeared by her window offering to take her into work. This way, he explained they could avoid the hoards of reporters who were still staking out the Daily Planet. Lois had quickly agreed. Her experience of wading through the mob of people had been limited to only a couple times, but she was not anxious to go through it again. Clark let Lois down and stepped back, spinning into his ‘Clark’ clothes. Lois froze. What was is about that change, she wondered, that brought back all the lies he had told her? I forgive him, she told herself. I support him, I love him, and that means I forgive him. Maybe if she told herself enough times she would finally remember it.

“So how have the people been taking it at work? I’m sure there’s a lot of gossip…” Clark looked apprehensive.

“There’s been a pool going around for how long it will take for you to quit the Planet and live off the proceeds of the Superman Foundation.” She spoke in an overly jovial tone, as if the vicious gossip didn’t matter. “Also, the current topic of debate is whether you told me you were Superman before or after we slept together. And if it’s considered cheating if I slept with both of you, but didn’t know you were one person.” Clark flushed, looking ashamed, as if it were his fault.

“Oh God Lois, I’m so sorry-”

“It’s not your fault Clark.” And it really wasn’t. “I just wish they were being more professional about the whole thing.”

“Actually, in my case I was kind of hoping that they weren’t going to be professional…” A ghost of a smile flickered across his face.

“Well I don’t mean ambushing you for an interview. Perry’s made it very clear that nobody at the Planet will ever get to publish a personal interview of you, so they’re not even bothering to try. What I was hoping was that they’ll treat you like a colleague, and respect you. I mean it’s not that you’ve stopped being a person now that everyone knows who you are.” For this remark, Lois earned another kiss. As she melted into the kiss she remembered why she was standing beside Clark through this mess, why it was she could put aside all the hurt he had caused her. She loved him. More than anything else. After a brief interlude where the world stopped turning, they broke apart. Clark was first to speak.

“We should probably get to work.” Lois nodded in response. “Did you find anything about that shooter from the other night?” Together, they started down the emergency stairwell.

“Well, the police came to pick him up a few minutes after you left,” Lois began. “But so far, he hasn’t said a word; refuses to give his name, or any other information. All he says is that he did it for ‘The Cause’. It’s like he’s been brainwashed or something.”

“You think it might be some kind of cult group?”

“Well, maybe. Jimmy’s been doing some research into Superman extremists in the past, so hopefully he’s dug something up.”

“I hope so. We need to find out more about these guys before they try to make their next attack,” Clark said grimly.

“You went to see your parents again last night, right? How are they?”

“They’re fine. Hardly anyone has come to bother them. I guess they’re so out of the way that most people haven’t bothered when they can get plenty of material here.” Clark held the door to stairwell open for Lois, and they entered the newsroom together. Almost immediately, Clark came to a dead stop, his face pale.

“Clark? What is it?”

“There’s kryptonite here Lois,” he whispered urgently.

“In the newsroom? Why would it be here?”

“Maybe someone was trying to catch me unawares.” Sweat was beginning to form on his brow, and Lois saw he was growing steadily weaker. He reached into his pocket and brought out a small drawstring bag. Shaking, he brought his glasses down on his nose, and scanned the room. “It’s in my desk. Top right drawer.” He handed Lois the bag. “Put it in here, it’s lead-lined. Try to be discreet.”

Lois took the bag, which was much heavier than she expected, and quickly walked over to his desk, trying to ignore the stares of her coworkers. Although they had not immediately attracted attention when they came in, people were starting to notice Clark hovering by the entrance. Opening the drawer, she saw a flash of sickly green before grabbing it and stuffing it in the bag, pulling the drawstring tight. Clark joined her at his desk, looking better already.

“You okay?” she asked.

“Yeah, that was pretty powerful stuff though, to affect me from that far away.”

“Well it was a good thing you thought to bring this.” She handed the small lead-lined bag to Clark. “Where did you get it? I should see about getting a robe made for me.”

“Lois,” Clark started. He looked embarrassed, a blush rising up his face. “I didn’t mean that comment. I was-”

“Upset.” She exhaled, clearing her head. “I know. Don’t worry about it Clark. We both said enough stupid things that night to cancel each other out.” The words were for her benefit as well as his. Cursing herself for bringing up her hurt feelings, and reminding herself that she vowed to support Clark, she forced the incident from her mind. They both smiled hesitantly, their surroundings momentarily forgotten. The hum of the newsroom faded as they stared into each other’s eyes. Then the spell was broken by the voice of a fellow reporter.

“Hey Clark!” His voice was overly chipper, and immediately, Lois knew he wanted something.

“What do you want Finkelstein?” she asked sharply. No one was going to interrupt her time with Clark and get away with it.

“Relax Lois! I just wanted to talk to Clark here!” Clark put a steadying hand on Lois and turned to Ralph.

“What is it?”

“Well, just so you know, Perry’s told us that anyone who goes against the whole Superman/Clark Kent press coverage deal gets a two week suspension, no pay. But I was thinking that if you want to help a guy out… Maybe you could let me know when you’re heading out to a new crisis of some kind. You know, so I could get a head start on the competition.” At this, Lois nearly blew her top.

“I can’t believe you Ralph! Clark is an employee of the Daily Planet. What makes you think you can use him to get a good story??!!! Do you have any idea how low this is? Dredging in the sewers of reporting tactics to get ahead? I can’t believe you would have the nerve-”

“Whoa there! Easy Lois. I’m going okay? No need to have a fit!” He backed slowly away, in an exaggerated posture of surrender. “By the way, nice article in the Whisperer. I guess you have your hands full, eh Kent?” Lois stood frozen on the spot.

“What article?” she asked.