Print Thread
#45903 09/02/07 03:11 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Great part, Lara, although it left me very hungry for more!

Then, he had gotten on one of the treadmills, just to test out the theory that reading wasn't the only thing he could do at amazing speeds. He had outrun the machine's fastest speed in the blink of an eye, causing its electronic circuits to short out and create fireworks around him.
Gaaaaah! That ought to make old Bats angry!

He had wondered for a moment how many of those he'd broken in the past. And then it had dawned on him that considering he was faster and stronger than any of the exercise equipment in the gym, they might simply be vestiges from a time when he needed them to increase his strength or speed.
Jumping to conclusions - yes, indeed. When I first saw that heading, I thought you were referring to Lois! Nice to see Clark do some conclusion-jumping of his own - hey, aren't we modern and into equal opportunities?

Although for relics these looked like they were quite recent. They weren't even covered in dust. Unless they weren't his to begin with? He'd read about someone named Robin who was supposed to be his partner. Perhaps he was the one who used the gym?
Able to leap tall conclusions in a single bound! laugh

A third room seemed to be a museum of some sort. In a corner of it stood a large, obviously mechanical Tyrannosaurus Rex, but there wasn't anything around it to give him any clues as to what exactly it was or why it was even there. Other items in the room seemed just as eclectic: a very large US penny, a single playing card – the Joker – in a silver frame, oversized bowling pins, an ancient looking sword. Sadly, there wasn't enough information pertaining to any of them to help him piece things together.
I read some Batman comics in the late sixties and the very early seventies, but then Batman became such a very dark and brooding character, and I didn't enjoy the stories about him any more. The sixties Batman stories were fun, though. I remember the Batcave - the Tyrannosaurus Rex, the large penny, the Joker playing card. Can't say I remember the bowling pins.

Further away and set in a display case was a costume much like his, though it appeared to have been made for a woman. Then, another costume, this one red and green – Robin's, he guessed – with a sign next to it that read 'A Good Soldier'. Was Robin dead? That might explain the man's absence... And what about the woman who had worn the other bat costume? Was she dead, too?
Ahh gahhh. I read that book where Jason Todd was killed. It frightened me no end. I started worrying so badly about Lois. I mean, look at Jason Todd: when DC gets tired of a character, DC kills off that character. No, the character of Robin wasn't killed, just the guy who was the current incarnation of Robin. If we translate the offing of Jason Todd into the universe of Superman, where does that leave Lois? I guess DC isn't about to make Superman go through life girlfriend-less, but why must that girlfriend be Lois? Heck, there is a whole world of females out there - Lana, Lori Lemaris, Wonder Woman... What if Lois is next on DC's death list...? smile1

Ann

P.S.
I've sort of sped up some of the events that take place in Bruce's life in the aftermath of the "Broken Bat" story, in the comics. But that's all I did to it unless you count the fact that I axed Jean-Paul Valley, the guy who becomes Batman (with Bruce's blessing) after the real Dark Knight is put out of commission.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. You don't know how grateful I am that you spared us Jean-Paul Valley!

#45904 09/02/07 05:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Half amusing, half angsty! Clark running around as Batman...*snort* I love it. And then there's poor Lois! Running around doing the work of two people, not having a word of info about Clark! Awww. I feel for her!

Great part, looking forward to more!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#45905 09/02/07 05:37 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lara, you already know my thoughts on this one. smile I really am enjoying this story so much. thumbsup I can't wait to see Batman... err Superbat... err Clark in action!

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#45906 09/03/07 04:40 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I'm not letting anyone lay a finger on my Laelia anceps."

"Laelia...?" Gabriel repeated, confused.

"Orchids, Gabe. Do you know how much each of them costs? Let alone how expensive it is to have them flown here from Mexico?"
*snortlaugh*

That poor DoD guy. Bruce is really giving him a hard time. He's really rather Lois-like!

I'm still loving this story, Lara, and looking forward to part four!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#45907 09/04/07 04:37 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for the comments! smile

Ann - I'm glad this left you hungry for more, because there's most certainly more coming. hehe! Two more parts. Heeee!

I mean, look at Jason Todd: when DC gets tired of a character, DC kills off that character.
Oh, Ann, Ann... I wish you hadn't said that. You should really get your facts straight, girl, because that's not the case at all. The fact that Jason Todd became Robin in the first place was not well received by the public at all. I don't know if they disliked the character himself or simply the fact that Batman had a new sidekick who wasn't Dick Grayson, the fact remains that readers did not like him. And DC did not actually decide to kill him off. They didn't know *what* to do with the character and so they asked the readers. There was a poll. Readers asked for him to be killed. DC gave the readers what they wanted. And *that* is what really happened.

Secondly, as of right now, Lois Lane has been the major love interest for Superman/Clark Kent for nearly 70 years now. She's been around as long as he has. Hell, they killed HIM, but never her. She's just as important to Superman as the big red S on his chest - she's part of what makes him Superman. Not to mention, Lois Lane sells comics. She attracts movie-goers and TV audiences.

Besides, I hardly think it's fair for you to compare Lois Lane to Jason Todd! She's been there for decades. He was there for months only. People love her. They hated him.

This said, please - I beg you - stop coming back over and over with this argument that DC is just waiting for the right moment to kill Lois Lane. If only because we are not DC Comics; these are the Lois & Clark fanfic boards - we LOVE Lois, here, Ann. There is no Lois & Clark without Lois. End of story.

Oh, but Lara, I was a little disappointed that Clark didn't see anything at all that referred to himself - to Superman, I mean - in the Batcave. Guess that just goes to show that old Bats considers himself above Superman, so that he doesn't need to concern himself with the Flyboy in Blue. Back in the sixties, when Superman had his Fortress of Solitude, there was a statue of Batman in there.
I didn't say there was nothing about Superman in there. I didn't say there was nothing about other superheroes.

Clark has seen his reflection in a glass, but not a mirror - I'm not sure that he's really able to tell what he looks like. It would stand to reason that he might not recognize his face if he saw himself in a picture.

Besides, at this point, he's convinced he's Batman, he's not trying to figure out if it's possible he might be someone else instead. Not to mention that, as per the show, he doesn't remember Superman at all - even when his parents showed him the costumes he did not believe he was Superman... I have him convinced he's Batman - he's not likely to think he's really another superhero from another city.

So I didn't read Knightfall, because I can't get worked up over a broken back that will heal so splendidly!
I take it you didn't read any of the Death of Superman, either? Or did you read that anyway? ...because, I don't know about you, but resurrecting a character who was *dead* is a lot less logical to me than healing a broken back. BTW, if you'd read the story, you might realize that it was a long journey from injury to recovery and - imho, anyway - the way they healed him made enough sense to me as a reader to be believable.

(Hey, Linné forgot to classify Clark! What would he have called him? Krypto Sapiens? Homo Kryptoniensus?)
LOL! He'd been dead for 160 years by the time Superman showed up. wink But I love the names you came up with for our Kryptonian friends, though. Wonder what a Klingon might be called....

"My" Robin is Dick Grayson - I don't really have a thing for Time Drake....
Same. But I'm going with the timeline and at that point, Tim is Robin... Besides, I need Nightwing for something else. wink

(But imagine having a waterfall in your Batcave - should make the place unpleasantly damp. Ah, but what do I know - maybe bats like dampness?)
LOL! It's not *in* the cave. It's sort of "in front" of it and blocks the way in and out of the cave... It's the way Batman exits when he's in the Batmobile, for instance. It's just one of the many ways to get out of the cave. Clark hasn't found the others yet - they're well hidden.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You don't know how grateful I am that you spared us Jean-Paul Valley!
Who needs him when I can have Clark Kent instead. Besides... Clark will be happy to give Bruce his costume back - unlike Jean-Paul who went off the deep-end with all that Saint-Dumas stuff. *sighs heavily*

Hey JD! Hey JoJo! Thanks for the comments, girls! I'm glad you enjoyed this part. smile You'll see more of Clark running around in a Bat-suit in the next part. And more of Lois trying to find him, too.

Hey Lisa! Thank you! smile I'm so happy that you found the whole orchids conversation amusing! Bruce Wayne is usually portrayed as a rich dolt who cares a lot more about material things - and girls - than anything else and who's pretty clueless as to how "the other half" lives. I'm having a lot of fun with this character!! In a comic I read, he's having a discussion with Lex Luthor and you'd swear that the man has an IQ of barely 70 the way he makes dim-witted comments. It's so freaking hilarious. smile ....and I loved that it annoyed Lex, too. hehehe! But that's another story.

Thanks again for the comments everyone! Most appreciated!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#45908 10/06/07 03:40 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have not read this series, but I am planning on it.

I think I have an answer for the 'bowling' pins. They are actually refered to at 'ten-pins' in nearly every source I could find, but I digress.

I think it is an 'in-house' joke for the artists for the comics. I did a google search on "batman ten-pins" and the third result gave me a hint.

In some bowling games, there is a batman...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#45909 10/07/07 03:42 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A batman in bowling? ROFL!!! smile That makes it worth a story. Really. Seriously.

bwahahahaha!!!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#45910 10/07/07 07:03 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
As sad as this is, I believe in the world we live in the meteorite that took out Superman would fetch a hefty price. Sad, I know!

Elisabeth
patiently waiting for part 6

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard