Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45486 08/14/07 09:37 AM
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi Sue! Oh my goodness, you sure know how to tug on a reader's heartstrings! I was never a huge NK fan either, but this little vignette made me want to run upstairs and watched Lord of the Flys, just so I could make sure they still ended up together! Even though your story did have a happy ending... But anyway, it was so touching! That poem was simply wonderful. I've never heard it before but I'm so glad you introduced it. Thanks so much for this!

--Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Sue,

What a beautiful poem and a beautiful story. I always thought the series did the viewers a huge disservice by returning Clark so soon.

My favorite image from the poem was this stanza:

If certain, when this life was out,
That yours and mine should be,
I'd toss it yonder like a rind,
And taste eternity.
Thanks for sharing that with us!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just beautiful beautiful. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I shouldn't write feedback now, when I have so impossibly little time, but I just have to agree with everyone that this vignette is heartbreakingly beautiful. Emily Dickinson's poem serves as such an unbelievably poignant counterpoint to Lois's feelings. There is something about the poem, with its polished metre and rhyme which makes it so elegant and controlled, and so harmonious and melodious to listen to. And yet, the story it tells inside its polished stanzas is one of almost bottomless despair. It is about the despair of incurable loss. It is about a woman's loss, when her beloved man is gone. The whole poem is a scream, a silent scream followed by hopeless sobs, all of it dressed in the most elegant poetic clothing.

She was losing her mind - that was the truth. She was beginning to see Clark everywhere. He was every man walking down the street and in every darkened shadow that she passed.
For some reason, this part of your vignette was perhaps what moved me the most. Because it reminded me of the first time when my father was so sick, and the first time I thought he would die. I was so strongly reminded of a time when I had arrived at Malmö Central Station, getting off my commuter train as usual. The train station was full of people milling about, as usual. And suddenly, there he was, emerging out of the crowd and approaching me, smiling at me, my father. Not because we had agreed that he would come and meet me, but because he had come anyway, for no particular reason.

And then, when my father was so sick and I thought that he would die, it just hit me that if he did, then he would never emerge out of a crowd like that again. Never. Because the crowd wouldn't be keeping him for me. And I realized, just like that, how different crowds would be to me if he was gone. The crowds would be different, because they would never be keeping within themselves my father's face. Never again. And I realized how all of humanity would suddenly be different, because my father would no longer be one of those who milled and thronged across the face of the Earth. And I feel so desperately for Lois. How can she go on, when the man who brightened the crowds and all of humanity and the Earth and her life is gone? How can she? And yet, Emily Dickinson's heroine goes on, hoping aginst hope or else just hanging on, because that is what most people do anyway. They hang on, even when they have lost everything. Even when they are all broken inside and the polished and unbroken facade is all that holds them together.

Beautiful, Sue. Extremely beautiful and evocative.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
First frown hyper hyper dance

Phew! Beautifully done Sue.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This is lovely, Sue!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow. Both the poem and the story touched me deeply. Thank you for sharing!

Natascha

Columnist
Columnist
That was wonderful. Sad, but beautiful. Nicely done!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awwwwwwwwww! Sue!!!! You posted it! <waffy sigh> I know it's atrocious that I hadn't read this poem before you shared it with me... but what a deliciously sad poem... and your story was the perfect compliment to it.

Then, as if re-reading the vignette wasn't sad enough, you go and put that adorably sweet author's note in there. <hugs her beta, her friend> <sniffle>

I've sort of lost track but I think this story fulfills the 5 you owed me on our bet. <wink> Darn, and so far I haven't been able to tempt you into another bet... I can't imagine why. :p

I'll still be expecting more stories from you... Don't think I'm letting you off the hook. <g>

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Columnist
Columnist
I always like storys where we read what the characters think.
And this was such a beautiful poem and the story you wrote around it was wonderful but sad.
It's a good thing there was a happy ending smile

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
Kerth
Kerth
I'm a little late, I know, but I still wanted to say thanks to everyone who left me some FDK on this story. dance

Thanks again (and again and again) to everyone who commented. It really does mean a lot.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved this Sue! I don't know how you can capture the exact emotions I imagine the characters felt but you do... and so much better than I can even capture them in my mind. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! hyper I always look forward to reading your stories! laugh

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard