Print Thread
#45223 08/06/07 05:44 PM
T
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Wow.

When you kick a puppy, the puppy stays kicked, doesn't it?

This was so heartbreaking, so unexpected, so very - very - ARRGHH! I don't have the vocabulary!

But whatever it is, Catharine, you've nailed it, hit it exactly perfect. You've captured the pain of Clark's death in both of them, and the fact that Lois wants Clark back and not just Superman is so very telling. I thought at first that Supes was pulling a fast one on her - and of course we were supposed to think that - but Lois's anguish at loving Clark and not being able to substitute Superman for him was so - so very - ARRGHH! I did it again!

Heartrendingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#45224 08/06/07 05:54 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I wish to one day write a story where people's hearts are ripped from their chests, puréed and served back to them with a tiny umbrella. Er, emotionally speaking. And then have them come back for mooore!
You did it Catherine. whinging whinging whinging

That was so sad! Ahhh!

I have no coherent thoughts.

But it was wonderful too, curse you and your pureeing. wink

--Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#45225 08/06/07 05:57 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have to admit. It made me cry a little. whinging

Which is pretty rare. Nicely done my dear... nicely done.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#45226 08/06/07 06:35 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Your twist on this challenge was so completely killer. What a powerful scenario -- the one thing she wants so desperately, he just can't give her. And they are BOTH aware of it.

Favorite line: “Lois, I realize I was gone for awhile, but I remembered I had left my stove on back in Kansas, so I hitch-hiked my way back home.”

I know you said in your preface that you went in a different direction than the challenge, but as the person who initially posted it, I found your story completely satisfying.

Great stuff.

#45227 08/06/07 07:17 PM
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Interesting. Rather painful wildguy wildguy

Excerpted from American Heritage Dictionary (Copyright © 1997)
ad-um-brate (adm-brat, -dum-)v. tr. ad-um-brat-ed, ad-um-brat-ing, ad-um-brates.
  • 1 To give a sketchy outline of.
  • 2. To prefigure indistinctly; foreshadow.
  • 3. To disclose partially or guardedly.
    [Latin adumbrare, adumbrat-, to represent in outline: ad-, ad- + umbra,shadow.]
    --ad'um-bra'tion n.
    --ad-um'bra-tive (-dumbr-tiv). adj. --ad-um'bra-tive-ly adv.

Now would be a really really good time for the New Kryptonians to arrive.

He could have something like a normal life and Lois could move on. In five or ten years when they come to their senses and admit they can't move on, then you can worry about
The Return Of Clark Kent

Framework4
#45228 08/06/07 07:34 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! whinging whinging So sad!!! Well written, but heartbreaking!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
#45229 08/06/07 10:11 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
“No, I can't keep doing this. Every time I see you, my heart breaks. I loved you, Clark!”
I loved you, Clark. Hmmmm. Wonder if that is the first time we see that line in LnC fanfic.

“I loved you too, you know. I still do.” Then he was gone, a sonic cracking of sound and air, and Lois closed her eyes in the breeze he left in his wake.
I loved you, too. I still do. And then he was gone.

Hmmm. You take no prisoners, Brucie. Well, at least no one is dead, not exactly. And Lois and - well, whatever his new name is going to be - are free to move on, I suppose.

Ann

#45230 08/07/07 02:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Do I really have to say how much I love this story? You know it made me cry - and you know exactly where, too. *giggles*

I'm always impressed by your genius - evil genius, that is!! You can take a simple little idea and turn it into a heart-wrenching tale in a matter of hours. I could really hate you. wink

This is beautiful, so powerful and so emotional and just so absolutely perfect - it's so like them. I can really feel the pain for both of them. Lois wanting the real man and Clark stuck in his secret identity and desperately wanting to be himself again, but not knowing how.

I loved this line: "Hopefully I've grown on you, partner." It's so sweet and loving. And then you rip our heart out and stomp it with both feet - and an evil smile.

And even now the end still manages to make me cry. Waaaaaaaah!!!!

And as to:
This time she somehow managed to hack out ugly boils and scars and make it a lot betterer than it was.
Bah... I made a few crazy suggestions and gave myself permission to edit your wonderful story more than anyone should have been allowed to. I'm just happy I could help (and that you didn't yell at me to go write my own stuff *lol*)

notworthy notworthy I totally bow to your genius, Cat. Totally.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#45231 08/07/07 03:24 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh wow. Different, definitely different and the writing was so beautiful too. This was my favorite part.

Her fingers suddenly went numb as her breath hitched tightly in her constricted throat. The frame slipped from her grasp and she could only watch as it fell to the ground, knowing that the glass would shatter.

The shatter never came, nor did the dull thud of the frame against the floor. Lois turned to her picture’s savior. “I didn’t hear you come in.” Her tone was almost accusatory as she wondered what gave him the right to be there anymore.
It's really telling on so many levels for me--the fact that he grabs the picture and it really doesn't matter that it never broke. There is no gratitude from Lois for "saving" the picture. In fact, the "picture's savior" at least to me feels a bit disparaging (because at the bottom it's the fact that he didn't "save" Clark that causes all this). It also makes me think that the fact that nothing *seems* to be broken superficially doesn't mean that it isn't. In some ways that can makes things that much harder to fix.

Really lovely *contented sigh*. I enjoyed this thoroughly. Thanks for posting it. smile

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#45232 08/07/07 03:32 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
How sad. whinging This TOGOM business never seems to get old.

(And thanks to Framework for the definition - now I don't have to bother looking it up!)

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#45233 08/07/07 12:08 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Poignant. Descriptive. Mournful.

Suddenly feeling as though he were invading a private moment that he had no right intruding upon, Lois grabbed the picture and made a show of repositioning it just right on the table.
As Superman grieves for what might have been friendship, but for what we all know is a deeper loss.

Lois tried to push him away, but then his hand cradled the back of her head and it was just too damn familiar. She clung to him tightly, wondering if she would ever stop seeing her partner where he was not. Even in the comforting arms of a man she desperately wanted to hate.
Descriptive. Poignant. Mournful.

“I hate you,” she mumbled against his shoulder, voice muffled by the slick spandex.

She was sure he didn’t hear her until he sighed and held her even more firmly against him. “I know. I hate me, too.”
Honest.

“I can’t do this, I’m sorry.” She took another step back, gathering her composure as she stiffened her spine. “I don’t want you to come back.”
Defensive.

she whispered softly as she firmly slid the window shut, latching the lock before allowing the drapes to drift close.
And she closes him out of her life.

Descriptive. Poignant. Mournful. (Did I say that already?) Powerful.

Elisabeth

#45234 08/08/07 02:00 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Not a crappy idea at all, Cat! This was sad and achingly poignant. <sniffle> I loved how you kept the reader from realizing that she knew the truth until the end. I had to read it twice just to see if you were cheating, but you weren't. Love, love, LOVE that she's able to separate the two in her mind and she mourns Clark so much. <more sniffling>

When she dropped the picture and he caught it.... <shivers> That was so perfect. Just the right mix of anger and sorrow and accusation.

Why can't he come up with an excuse? I WANT HIM TO COME UP WITH AN EXCUSE!

And another kiss like there's no tomorrow. That would do nicely for a sequel. Otherwise, like Lois, we're left to mourn and feel all hollow inside. whinging

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
#45235 08/08/07 03:36 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Nicely done. A well written slice of the anguish that Lois and Superman would feel if that situation had arisen.

I've always liked the concept that Lois is forced to accept that Clark is 'dead' even if he was Superman and the body survives. Most takes concentrate on Lois' hurt and anger over making her go through the trauma of his death when he wasn't really dead. But here she has had to accept that Clark isn't coming back and so the loss and despair she had felt wasn't for nothing.

Tank (who says that this will now clear the way for 'call me Daniel' to come into Lois' life and make her forget all about... 'what's his name')

#45236 08/09/07 10:09 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
This was beautiful. I too wonder, what happens next?

P.S. Thanks to Framework for the definition--I had no idea adumbrate was actually a word. Also, your modification to the challenge made it even more interesting.

#45237 08/09/07 10:10 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Tank: does "Call me Daniel" come with a haircut? goofy

#45238 08/10/07 01:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Angie:
Tank: does "Call me Daniel" come with a haircut? goofy
He could come with a pony tail or no hair at all - it ain't gonna make us like him any better. LOL! In fact, if he's against the idea of changing his hairstyle, I say it's all the more reason for someone to give him a haircut!

#45239 08/10/07 02:24 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Oh, Cat. This is beautiful. I echo everything Terry said, way up there at the top. Thank you for sharing it with us!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#45240 09/02/07 04:09 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Yup, you need a sequel. wink

Sara (who wonders if people would be jealous of her being able to read the actual manuscript from the author's notebook wink )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#45241 09/02/07 04:35 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, man... yeah - there needs to be a sequel to this. PLEEEEEEEEASE!!!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard