Print Thread
#44821 07/27/07 07:31 PM
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
Welcome back smile
She looked at them intently through her red-rimmed eyes. “How can we condemn this? Whatever he was doing—he saved a little girl’s life. Even if it was . . . funded, or supported by some crazy government group . . . Isn’t a little . . . illegal medical research worth that? Isn’t it worth the life of my little girl?”
No it is not. I believe the End can never justify the means because the end is always shaped by the means.

Clark needs to warn Mrs. Logram to never ever tell another person about what her husband did for their daughter. He needs to make it clear that if anyone ever finds out her daughter will be taken from her and become the next subject of a little illegal medical research .

Lois needs to make it clear to Clark that nothing can ever justify what was done. Nothing.

Knowing Clark he will want to help somehow. Fine, go find some ethical researchers. Talk to them, work quietly and carefully with them.

SmirkyRaven have you ever read James Gunn's The Immortals ? The immortal's blood was a cure all for everything.

I think it has been thirty years since I read it but this part brought it back to mind with a bang.

It was made into a TV series once upon a time.
review James Gunn

Framework4
#44822 07/28/07 12:43 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Welcome back, Smirky!!!! smile1 smile1 smile1

I have only a little time, sorry, so you will have to excuse me that this will be short. But I'm amazed at your ability to write dialogue so that every little word counts, and every little gesture and glance and interspersed thought. How long have I been waiting for Clark to tell Lois his secret, Smirky? I bet I started asking you for that around chapter 15 or something, and now we are up to chapter 43. Well, something has certainly happened since I started pestering you, because Lois has figured out Clark's secret on her own, but she hasn't told Clark that she knows, and Clark has not volunteered any information. On the other hand, Lois's way of looking at Clark has changed enormously. She used to be so dismissively contemptuous of him, as if he really didn't matter much at all. But, oh my, how that has changed. This is amazingly beautiful:

Kal-El's dark eyes watched her with some nervousness, perhaps hiding some dark fear lurking behind the shields of his glasses—bracing himself for a torrential outburst from the insensitive Lois Lane, even while that ridiculous farm boy, hopeful crush shone out of his eyes.

How could someone's eyes hold so much?

How could she have looked into them and seen so little?
Kal-El's dark farm boy eyes with their ridiculous, and heartbreaking, hopeful crush on her shining out of them... oh, Smirky, you almost make me sniffle.

And then you had Lois and Clark talking, and dancing around the subject, and sort of preparing to launch themselves into a blurting out of the truth - well, Lois was preparing to launch herself into a blurting out of the truth - and it went on like that for so long, and I was on the edge of my seat all the time, and in the end, nothing happened. But I'm not disappointed. I'm in awe of your writing instead, and how you make me feel that every little move, every little word and every little thought counts for something.

I was moved and fascinated by Lois and Clark's meeting with Mrs Logram and her children. Okay - sorry to have to break the "narrative" of this FDK with this little observation, but I can't tell you how much I loved it:

Though not quite, though Lois had to admit that she did sneak a peek towards his shoes, which were firmly planted on the ground.

How in the world did he fly anyway? Was it like some Peter Pan thing? Did he have some sort of happy thought that carried him into the skies?
Well, they have really never explained how he flies, you know? I haven't seen the episodes, but I firmly believe there is one where Clark has amnesia and can't remember that he is Superman - and what is worse, he can't remember how to fly. I believe Lois keeps pushing him down from the balcony, only to see him crash again and again and land hard on his invulnerable butt... goofy

But Clark doesn't fly here, even though he knows how to. Instead he is being Superman while appearing to be Clark, in order to get a little girl (and a cat) down from a tree:

“It's all right, I'll get you,” Clark said, easy lifting himself up to the branches. It took him only a couple seconds to climb up to the girl and reach her at her precarious perch. “Whew,” he said, feigning tiredness. “You're a good little tree-climber, to get up here all alone,” he said, sitting beside her on the thin branch that Lois was sure should have long since broken beneath his weight, if . . . “Want to come on down with me now?” he gave an easy, comforting smile.

Superman's smile. Lois had seen it a thousand times—seen it coax terrified victims from cliffs, from burning buildings, from shattered vehicles . . . and had never recognized it on her partner's face.

He was in his element. There was no sign of the bumbling, awkward reporter right now.

The girl stared at him out of big black eyes, her two short black braids quivering slightly. Lois was sure that, charm or not, Big Blue was just about to get rejected.

Then, without warning, the little girl let go of the branch and eased herself into Clark's waiting arms, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Lois didn't scowl. Really—she didn't! She'd been wrong before, after all.
I love how confident and confidence-inspiring Clark is here. Like Lois said, there is no sign of the awkward, bumbling reporter now. And I love how Lois does not resent the little girl's confidence in Clark.

This was adorable:

“To your rooms, you two, now,” Mrs. Logram ordered, her tone brooking no nonsense.
Mike hunched towards the house, stomping heavily on the damp ground. Julia, however, hesitated, looking at Clark. Without warning she moved forward, dropping poor Zupie and wrapping her arms around his waist and hugging him with all the strength she could muster. “Thank you, mister . . . ” Her young face reflected confusion. “Wha's your name?”

“I-I'm Clark,” Clark said. “You'd better head up to your room, like your mom says.”

“But I like you.”

Lois put a hand over her mouth to hide her grin.
Clark gave Mrs. Logram an apologetic look, then bent down and ruffled Julia's dark hair. “I like you too.”
It reminds me of something I read somewhere - "dogs and children took to him". That last quote wasn't from a story about Superman, I'm sure, but - well, isn't it a measure of goodness that children and animals trust you, and their trust in you is not misplaced?

Then tere is something about how you describe Mrs Logram:

Clark didn't know. But she felt like a nice person, at least in first impressions, which didn't help him know how to feel about this whole situation. She was a bit on the plump side, seeming almost grandmotherly despite the younger age of her children, with open eyes and her graying hair pulled back into a loose ponytail.
You actually made me think of Martha here, Smirky. Martha could not have any children at all, and Mrs Logram could only have one child. Both adopted and proved themselves to be loving mothers to children who were not their biological offspring. Both Martha and Mrs Logram are a little old to be mothers, and just a tad grandmotherly. And both have been recently widowed.

I was moved by the story of Julia and her leukemia. I agree with Patrick, of course - Logram was involved in some dangerous research, whose consequences he couldn't foresee (and one of those consequences turned out to be that he himself was murdered and ruthlessly ripped away from his family), but for all of that I feel some sympathy for him. And I feel a lot of sympathy for his wife and children. Bottom line, I can't blame Logram for taking dangerous risks in order to save his daughter.

Well! Lovely chapter, and it's great to have you back, Smirky! thumbsup

Ann

#44823 07/28/07 01:26 AM
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Interesting part, Smirky! So Logram is not entirely bad but had a good reason for his researches. But where does this leave us? And moreover, what will Clark do, knowing that something he can give can heal such a catastrophic disease?

I'm curious how this will go on. It's great to have you back!

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#44824 07/28/07 04:46 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Great chapter, Rachel! I like how Lois refused to admit that she was bothered that both mother and daughter opened up to Clark when she couldn't get diddly out of either of them, much less a "But I like you!" from the child. And how Lois kept musing on how little she'd seen when looking directly at Clark for so long. And don't you think that Clark will pick up on Lois's stuttering and wonder what's wrong with her?

But that last bit almost did me in. You've presented us with a terrible moral dilemma. My head agrees with Patrick, who basically said that good results can't come from evil deeds. But my heart agrees with Mrs. Logram, who is so very thankful that her little girl is hale and hearty and runs around the yard and climbs trees and gets into all kinds of trouble. I want to say that I would not consider trading someone else's extreme pain for my child's life. I want to say that it isn't worth it to destroy one life to save another. And from a strictly moral viewpoint, it isn't.

But others don't feel that way. Our country has been debating the fetal stem cell research question for years without resolving it. Is it acceptable to destroy one life to try to help another? Doesn't that lead to fetus factories and stem cell gleaners picking off the best cells and dropping the remains into a hole in the ground? Or does it give us a better quality of life for those who would otherwise have no chance at life?

It's a hard question, and the way you've posed it here helps us to understand how Logram could be so cold-blooded with Kal-El. He had to be cold-blooded. He couldn't view his experimental subject with compassion. Before he even entered into this hellish experiment, he'd decided that Superman's life was not worth as much as his daughter's life. And he never considered the possibility that Superman might - probably wouldn't, but just might - have agreed to some tests, some experiments, some research, if the result had been the saving of lives.

But we don't know the long-term side effects of Logram's treatment. We don't know if Julia will develop other illnesses or symptoms resulting from her cure. And I can't accept that the theft of a man's freedom (not to mention his physical and mental health) can be justified, even to save a child.

And if you've never lost a child, it's impossible to imagine how it feels. I would wish that pain on no one. But at least you've given us a reason for all the horror, an ethical justification (no matter how slight) for the torture, for the inhuman treatment, for the deliberate injury, for the complete indifference to Kal-El's survival. I think this is the key to the whole story, and if this were the only reason you wrote this, Rachel, it would be worth it.

Keep it coming! I can't wait for the revelation scene. That's bound to be a double mind-blower.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#44825 07/28/07 05:03 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
As the others have pointed out, you've presented a very interesting moral dilemna here to 'justify' the experimentation that Superman was put through.

But, it isn't what everyone else, even Lois, might think about the 'ends vs. the means' on what had been done. It's what Clark is going to think. The knowledge that he has the ability to heal others of catastrophic desease within him will really play havoc with his 'need' to help others. He considers his powers a gift which allows him to help others.

Is this just one more of those gifts? Is his physical comfort and well being worth the lives of those affllicted that he could help?

I think that Clark is going to be doing some heavy thinking, and something tells me that Lois, before it's over, will be involved in the final decision.

Tank (who thinks this has the potential to lead to some debate over the ethics of research)

#44826 07/28/07 06:15 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow...so Logram did all of that to save his daughter. I have to say that I agree for the most part with everyone else, the moral dilemma that Logram faced. However, I cannot say what I would not do to save my own child's life. I cannot imagine what it feels like to lose a child but I do know what it feels like to be given nothing but hopelessness for your child and I don't wish that on anyone. Fortunately my situation what just a matter of further testing and it all ended up minimal.

Now, Lois and Clark have to be sure that no one else ever finds out what happened and I'm afraid that there will be some long term side affects. Will Julia get powers? Will someone test her and find Super DNA? Was Zupie the guinea pig? I'm assuming Logram implanted bone marrow.

Now, Lois has to come clean and tell Clark that she knows so that she can help him with everything she has. Clark need to come clean, too. And the fact that Clark lost Jonathan in the process doesn't make it any easier.

Good work Smirky and I did wonder what happened to your story. Well done and please hurry back.

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#44827 07/28/07 06:40 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
OMG!!!! You're back!!! drool

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#44828 07/28/07 07:57 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Whowhoo!! Goodness, I forgot how much I love the whole stir of reviews. I've missed you all so much!

Framework4, thank you so much for your consistent (and multiple wink ) reviews!

Framework4 wrote:
I believe the End can never justify the means because the end is always shaped by the means.
It's certainly been a long-standing debate. I automatically agree with you, but it definitely doesn't have an easy answer in specific cases, does it?

Framework4 wrote:
SmirkyRaven have you ever read James Gunn's The Immortals? The immortal's blood was a cure all for everything.

I think it has been thirty years since I read it but this part brought it back to mind with a bang.
Nope, never read it. Kind of creepy, though. . . seeing as my last name is the same as that author's . . . I wonder if we're related laugh .

Thanks for your review, Framework! I'm glad you're still with me!

Ann! Darling, it's so good to hear from you after all this time. I've missed you (and your reviews!) so much, and I don't even think I realized it until I sat down and saw this one waiting to be read. It completely made my day!

TOC wrote:
I have only a little time, sorry, so you will have to excuse me that this will be short.
lol. I love your version of "short". wink

I'm amazed at your ability to write dialogue so that every little word counts, and every little gesture and glance and interspersed thought.
You have no idea how glad I am to hear that. After taking such a long break from writing I'd be lying to say I wasn't very concerned about my style and ability to carry everything I wanted to onto the page. Thank you, Ann!

How long have I been waiting for Clark to tell Lois his secret, Smirky? I bet I started asking you for that around chapter 15 or something, and now we are up to chapter 43. Well, something has certainly happened since I started pestering you, because Lois has figured out Clark's secret on her own, but she hasn't told Clark that she knows, and Clark has not volunteered any information. On the other hand, Lois's way of looking at Clark has changed enormously. She used to be so dismissively contemptuous of him, as if he really didn't matter much at all. But, oh my, how that has changed. This is amazingly beautiful
Thank you! You encouragement has certainly helped a lot; if it hadn't been there then it's very likely even Lois's realization wouldn't have come for a fair few more chapters wink laugh . lol.

I had to reread the whole thing I've written in order to prepare myself to write this last chapter, and I have to say that Lois's development is probably one of my favorite parts of how this story is forming out. She's grown up a ton, her vision and perspective has taken a shock and cleared significantly, but she's still stayed strong and grown even stronger. I've always loved Lois, and I'm glad to see you think I've done her some justice.

TOC wrote:
Kal-El's dark farm boy eyes with their ridiculous, and heartbreaking, hopeful crush on her shining out of them... oh, Smirky, you almost make me sniffle.
I love to play around with Lois's (and our) heads by mixing up how we see Clark, Kal-El, and Superman. Honestly, it surprises me how much I still like to separate Clark's personas, and how shocking it is to sometimes mix up the names and the personas themselves. It certainly gives a new perspective to things.

Darn. I've gotta run, so I'm going to have to stop quoting each line of your review (but know I still love it!)

TOC wrote:
I love how confident and confidence-inspiring Clark is here. Like Lois said, there is no sign of the awkward, bumbling reporter now. And I love how Lois does not resent the little girl's confidence in Clark.
Lois has grown up a lot, and Clark is still pushing through despite anything. As much as he doubts himself sometimes, I think all of us (Lois included) have our trust in the right place.

TOC wrote:
It reminds me of something I read somewhere - "dogs and children took to him". That last quote wasn't from a story about Superman, I'm sure, but - well, isn't it a measure of goodness that children and animals trust you, and their trust in you is not misplaced?
Good thought!

I was moved by the story of Julia and her leukemia. I agree with Patrick, of course - Logram was involved in some dangerous research, whose consequences he couldn't foresee (and one of those consequences turned out to be that he himself was murdered and ruthlessly ripped away from his family), but for all of that I feel some sympathy for him. And I feel a lot of sympathy for his wife and children. Bottom line, I can't blame Logram for taking dangerous risks in order to save his daughter.
It's certainly a dilemma. Who knows (at this point wink ) all of what Logram was going through? While his actions may be inexcusable, at least they are understandable.

One thing I've strived for in writing this story is showing how complicated people are. Lois is not perfect--there are times so far that I think everyone has hated her for how blind, dense and even cruel she could be. Clark has shown true fear and (yes, I can say it) cowardice. Logram seemed like the epitome of typical-evil-scientist dude, and while he certinaly isn't an angel (<snorts>), we can at least sympathize with him. Same with the psychologist, who gave up the information on Lois to save her husband. Ethically right? The obvious answer is no. But I can't condemn her.

But people aren't perfect. What's to say what we would do in their shoes?

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox for that. laugh

TOC wrote:
Well! Lovely chapter, and it's great to have you back, Smirky!
Thank you so much! And thanks for your amazing review!

Bakasi wrote:
Interesting part, Smirky! So Logram is not entirely bad but had a good reason for his researches. But where does this leave us? And moreover, what will Clark do, knowing that something he can give can heal such a catastrophic disease?

I'm curious how this will go on. It's great to have you back!
Certainly a dilemma. Good thing that while I haven't been writing these last few months, that doesn't mean that I haven't put a whole lot of thought into what's going to happen. Hopefully it will rise to your expectations!

Thanks for your review, bakasi!

Terry Leatherwood wrote:
But that last bit almost did me in. You've presented us with a terrible moral dilemma. My head agrees with Patrick, who basically said that good results can't come from evil deeds. But my heart agrees with Mrs. Logram, who is so very thankful that her little girl is hale and hearty and runs around the yard and climbs trees and gets into all kinds of trouble. I want to say that I would not consider trading someone else's extreme pain for my child's life. I want to say that it isn't worth it to destroy one life to save another. And from a strictly moral viewpoint, it isn't.
So true. An interesting viewpoint in this debate is something Tank pointed out:

Tank wrote:
But, it isn't what everyone else, even Lois, might think about the 'ends vs. the means' on what had been done. It's what Clark is going to think. The knowledge that he has the ability to heal others of catastrophic desease within him will really play havoc with his 'need' to help others. He considers his powers a gift which allows him to help others.

Is this just one more of those gifts? Is his physical comfort and well being worth the lives of those affllicted that he could help?
Hm. Very interesting. Along with our own moral dilemmas, Clark was unable to give an answer to this, even though *he* was on the receiving end of all the pain. Doesn't that just show how selfless he really is?

Terry Leatherwood wrote:
And if you've never lost a child, it's impossible to imagine how it feels. I would wish that pain on no one. But at least you've given us a reason for all the horror, an ethical justification (no matter how slight) for the torture, for the inhuman treatment, for the deliberate injury, for the complete indifference to Kal-El's survival. I think this is the key to the whole story, and if this were the only reason you wrote this, Rachel, it would be worth it.
Well, what you've written along with this last chapter has given *me* a lot to think about, at least. Thanks for sharing, Terry and Tank!

Sheila wrote:
Wow...so Logram did all of that to save his daughter. I have to say that I agree for the most part with everyone else, the moral dilemma that Logram faced. However, I cannot say what I would not do to save my own child's life. I cannot imagine what it feels like to lose a child but I do know what it feels like to be given nothing but hopelessness for your child and I don't wish that on anyone. Fortunately my situation what just a matter of further testing and it all ended up minimal.
I'm only 20. I'm young and naive, and I will not even pretend to have the right answer. I've never had children, so like you I can only imagine how it would be . . . and that's horrible. I can't say what's right or wrong--who knows if anyone rightfully can? I guess as a writer all I can do is pose the questions.

Thanks for your review, Sheila!

LadyMirth wrote:
OMG!!!! You're back!!! NOw this is about the only thing that could've yanked me out of my end-of-Deathly-Hallows funk! Yaaaaay!!

Off to read!
I was enough to do that? Golly! wink

Great to hear from you all. I've gotta dash!

Rachel

#44829 07/28/07 09:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wooow, way interesting developments here. I can't even begin to picture how Clark is going to feel with this new information. One major read-and-find-out!

What a mess they made. Two stuttering fools, both hiding, both afraid.
Heh. Probably my favorite lines of the part, although everything is good. It's been a while, but you so haven't lost your touch or style! I'm glad this story is back in action!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#44830 07/28/07 09:30 AM
G
Blogger
Blogger
G
Hi!

Wow!!! The wait was definately worth it! This is a WONDERFUL story! I've really missed it, and I was very concerned about you when all of a sudden the story stopped.

What a moral debate you have started! I'm looking forward to Clark's reaction. Martha's reaction would be interesting too? Will Clark tell his mother?

I can't believe you have written 43 chapters already! The story is so good, I have at times forgotten the time, and read until wee hours of the morning. Makes for a blury day at work, but its worth it. Keep up the great work!

G. Kuhn
#44831 07/29/07 03:55 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
hyper hyper

yea, you're back!! At first read, it was very insightful and beautifully written. I need to go back and read the chapter before to refresh my memory some.

Yea!!
Don't be gone so long now, ok?

doublel

#44832 07/29/07 06:47 AM
Columnist
Columnist
party Yay! Skirky's back and so is Darkest Dreams!

Sorry to come in a little late with fdk. The last couple of days have been crazy!

Was he just staring at the air, like most people did, or was there something deep, deep down under the hard black road that he found so deeply distracting? Molten lava bubbles or something?
lol Molten lava bubbles! I found this deeply amusing.

She wanted Clark to come clean. Today.
I hope someone comes clean soon!

“Clark, I—I have to tell you—” She had to tell him. “I-I broke into your apartment yesterday.”
No, no, no! Lois, you were supose to say "I know you're Superman." Pretty please? lol You've got to love kids! I loved this scene with Clark interacting with the kids. You did a marvelous job of making their character's come to life. And what a name for a cat! Zupie...when I get a cat someday I might just steal that name.

“Six months ago Julia was diagnosed with Leukemia.

We did everything we could. In his work, Mike was among the best, and he had connections. We took her to experts—the best in the field, and in the world of medicine but they all said the same thing: her case was terminal, and there was n-nothing they could do for her.”

“We watched our little daughter waste away. She . . . she was so small . . . so weak. Just a little child, who should have . . . been worrying about nothing but . . . flowers. Rain. Sunshine. But . . . there was nothing we could do but watch her . . . die.” The last word was in a bare whisper.
This is heart breaking.

“Mike . . . he dedicated his life to finding a cure,” Mrs. Logram continued. “Spent less time at home. N-near the end, he said he was working on a project that would heal her. He . . . he seemed so determined I . . . I just prayed he would be right. That it would work. ”

“And it did,” Clark whispered, remembering the active, lively and healthy child he had rescued from the tree only a few minutes before. “It did work.”

Mrs. Logram nodded tearfully. “He . . . he disappeared, three weeks ago. He just didn’t come home from work. It wasn’t too unusual. I just thought he couldn’t bear to watch . . . little Julia. And he was working himself to death trying to save her. And she was so close, then. We were keeping her at home. We both knew the equipment, and . . . we wanted her to . . . be at home, when the time came.”
I just had to quote all of this, because it really packs a punch. You can really feel Mrs. Logram's pain here.

She shifted Kevin on her lap and rubbed his back absently. “He came back on Wednesday—I remember it clearly, because it was the . . . the last time I saw him. He looked so tired . . . so exhausted. Almost . . . cold,” she whispered. “But . . . he slipped something into Julia’s IV before he left again—he said he couldn’t stay. He just . . . left a vial, and told me to give it to her in twelve hours. Whatever it was . . . it hurt my little baby. She was sick with fever, pain . . . but . . . the next morning she woke up and . . . it was over. The doctors could find no sign of cancer, and you can see her now, just two weeks later. It . . . it was a miracle.”
A miracle was born out of Clark's pain and suffering. I wonder if this little bit of information will offer him some form of comfort?

I just loved this part. It was well worth the wait. I'm anxiously waiting for the next.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#44833 07/30/07 05:12 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey, Shadow, G. Khun, doublel, and symbolicangel! It's so great to see/hear from you all again! I'm glad you haven't forgotten me!

Shadow wrote:
It's been a while, but you so haven't lost your touch or style! I'm glad this story is back in action!
Whew! It's great to hear that. It's so hard to keep the tone right in a story like this, especially with such a long break. And then there's the fact that it's summer--and I have to admit, I have a much harder time writing in a "darker" or more serious mode during the summer. I'm glad the little bit of extra effort was worth it.

And I'm certainly glad to be back as well!

G. Khun wrote:
Wow!!! The wait was definately worth it! This is a WONDERFUL story! I've really missed it, and I was very concerned about you when all of a sudden the story stopped.
blush

Wow. What a welcome back!

I *am* sorry you worried, though. That's actually a very common reaction I've come back to, and honestly I feel awful that I disappeared like that and didn't really leave any warning. I'm glad you didn't abandon me out of spite because of it. thumbsup

I can't believe you have written 43 chapters already! The story is so good, I have at times forgotten the time, and read until wee hours of the morning. Makes for a blury day at work, but its worth it. Keep up the great work!
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that has that happen to. I lose track of time while I'm reading and (especially) writing. I guess this is an epidemic causing sleep-loss all around the board, eh? I'm flattered, though, that DD has been good enough to do the job!

Doublel wrote:
yea, you're back!! At first read, it was very insightful and beautifully written. I need to go back and read the chapter before to refresh my memory some.
Yeah; I had to re-read the whole thing from beginning to end to get back into the flow of things. Sorry again for the long wait!

symbolicangel wrote:
Yay! Smirky's back and so is Darkest Dreams!
<bows> thumbsup

Molten lava bubbles! I found this deeply amusing.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. My little sister thought it strange, but it cracked me up for some strange reason.

I hope someone comes clean soon!
Soon, soon. Yes, soon. <cackles>

You've got to love kids! I loved this scene with Clark interacting with the kids. You did a marvelous job of making their character's come to life. And what a name for a cat! Zupie...when I get a cat someday I might just steal that name.
This chapter was shamelessly stolen from my own childhood. Most obvious was that I had a poor cat that was often dyed with food-coloring depending on the season or holiday. Poor thing. But what's one going to do? huh wink

Thank you all for reviewing! It really makes my day!

Smirky

#44834 07/30/07 05:13 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, and I forgot to mention: the next chapter is coming along well, and I expect it to be up Thursday or Friday once again. <crosses fingers>

Wish me luck!

<goes off to write>

Smirky

#44835 08/03/07 07:35 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey, all. Just wanted to tell you that I didn't drop off the Planet mysteriously again. I just barely got home from a very long day and haven't had time to even glance at the next chapter today. I'm shooting for posting it tomorrow or Sunday.

Sorry for the wait!

Smirky

#44836 08/05/07 01:17 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
All right! The next chapter'll be up in the next ten minutes!

thumbsup dance

Smirky

#44837 08/24/07 01:14 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Ok, I'm doing FDK for 43 then 44. What a genius plan 'eh?

Poor Lois was going crazy in the car ride with Clark. I would too, but for different reasons huh

Whatever it was . . . it hurt my little baby. She was sick with fever, pain . . . but . . . the next morning she woke up and . . . it was over. The doctors could find no sign of cancer, and you can see her now, just two weeks later. It . . . it was a miracle.”
eek Poor little girl. I can't imagine having a sick child. I can't imagine what was going through his head wanting to get a cure for her. Wow, what a spin on this tale.

She looked at them intently through her red-rimmed eyes. “How can we condemn this? Whatever he was doing—he saved a little girl’s life. Even if it was . . . funded, or supported by some crazy government group . . . Isn’t a little . . . illegal medical research worth that? Isn’t it worth the life of my little girl?”

Clark looked away, and Lois could see his hands pale and clench. He didn’t—perhaps he couldn’t—answer.
I can't either. Man.

Great job. I'm glad that I was able to read it. It was actually able to grab my interest for more than three seconds. I seemed to have lost all ability to concentrate on reading lately. Well anything for that manner and being able to finally escape into something was releaving.

party

THANK YOU!!!!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#44838 09/11/07 01:49 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I've lost track. Is there a 44 yet?

#44839 09/11/07 02:39 PM
F
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
F
Originally posted by doublel:
I've lost track. Is there a 44 yet?