Okay, so I was sitting here rereading some of the comments on this story and I realized I am too, too addicted to feedback. And also, since I already had this part written and beta'd, that I might as well post it, even though I said I'd wait until I got back! I didn't want people to lose interest in the story with no new parts to read... *rationalizes away.* Anyway, this chapter is a little short, but it's all I have beta'd up to this point. I just sent off a chunk though to Missy and Catherine so hopefully when I get back I'll have more to post. Okay. Well... Enjoy.

Part 3

“Hey so tell me about the Rosettes. Everyone thinks you guys are so cool.”

Jill beamed. “We are so cool. And not just anyone can be a Rosette either. You gotta work at it. You have to really want it.”

“How do you make sure someone really wants it?” Lois prodded.

“Ini—Inita—Initati—Tests.”

“Wow. So how many of you guys are there?”

Lexy answered for Jill, who had been distracted by one of the guys walking past.

“Six. We almost had seven, but…”

“You mean Beth Warner?” Lois held her breath. Beth Warner was the name of the girl who had died last year. She recognized her mistake an instant later as Lexy’s eyes grew startlingly more sober.

“I don’t even know who that is,” Lexy said harshly. She grabbed Jill and tried to stand. “I think it’s time we got another drin—whoa.” Lois was on her feet, keeping both girls steady before they tripped and fell. It was definitely time to go. She had befriended the girls she thought might be involved in Beth Warner’s murder and it was only her first day. As she grabbed the keys from Jill and shuffled them out the door, Lois grinned.

Not too shabby. She definitely wasn’t half bad at this undercover investigation thing.

Part 4

The next day, Clark slept late and cooked himself a leisurely breakfast. Finally, once he was fortified by an omelet and a tall glass of orange juice, he sat down to read and grade. There were a few different assignments shuffled together, but his real interest was in the free write he had assigned yesterday. He had given the class twenty minutes to speak their mind about The Scarlet Letter. The responses to the free writes he spontaneously gave were actually more for his benefit and enjoyment than his students’. In a way, he felt this was a method for them to really let loose, granting him precious insights into the minds of his seventeen and eighteen year old charges. But as Clark read through the thick sheaf of papers in his hand, his excitement dimmed considerably. His class really hadn’t gotten the point of the exercise. About a quarter of the papers were merely reasons why some students thought “that Hester chick” (apparently “free write” translated into “acceptable time to forget all proper English and grammar”) needed to just get out of there. Nearly all of the rest read like term papers. If he had wanted analyses on rhetoric he would have assigned it. Finally Clark flipped over the last page. It was Lois Lane’s paper. If the caliber and type of papers he had read before were any indication, Clark didn’t have high expectations. He pulled out her paper and started reading the wide scrawl.

A few sentences into it, Clark slowed and reread everything. One side of his mouth quirked up. Did she really just say that? He quickly finished her paper and then immediately read it again, this time allowing himself to fully smile and laugh. This was what he wanted! The paper centered around her views on the story, strengthened by references to current events and personal experience. And all through the paper, she’d bring up the most outlandish theories and proceed to explain them in ways that actually gave him pause. Clark gave the paper his full smile, to which it lay immune. He had definitely found his third Ready Writing candidate.

“Lois? Do you have a few minutes to stay after today? You too, Garrett and Kaitlin.” Clark cleared his throat as his class spilled from the room. Lois glanced up, surprised, and nodded. “Thank you.”

“What’s up, Mr. Kent?” Lois grabbed a desk from the front row and sat on top of it, swinging her legs over the side. Kaitlin and Garrett stood next to each other, meticulous about keeping a safe inch and a half from each other.

“Lois, I’ve been reading some of your papers over the last week and your writing is wonderful,” Clark began, staring earnestly at her. Lois shrugged her shoulders slightly and glanced uneasily at Garrett and Kaitlin. Why were they there? Over the past week, Lois had befriended more members of the Rosettes and had gone out with them a few nights. In her classes, Lois had taken to merely composing mental story notes and planning her conversation, actions and questions rather than focusing on any sort of senior schoolwork. Fortunately, senioritis was in full swing at Metropolis High and her glazed look wasn’t so unlike the rest of the class. But in Mr. Kent’s class, she was embarrassed to admit that she actually paid full attention. She tried to tell herself it was because of the subject matter, but in reality she knew she found the man drop dead gorgeous and the way he taught exciting and fresh. Not that she’d ever reveal that little bit of information to Lucy. She’d never hear the end of it. But besides his obvious good looks, Lois was drawn to the way it seemed that he actually cared about his students. It was obvious that his lessons took a lot of careful thought and planning. His comments on their papers were a contradictory blend of soothing and provoking, sometimes leaving Lois so incensed that she’d spill out another hundred words of a rebuff, clarifying her point and falling into the trap Mr. Kent had undoubtedly set up.

It drove her crazy, but she sort of craved the stimulation.

“And so I was wondering if you would join the Ready Writing team. We need a third member to make the team and you’d be a fantastic addition.” Clark finished. Lois blinked slightly. It was obvious that while she was off daydreaming Mr. Kent had been speaking to her.

“What?” Lois cringed at her rather unintelligent sounding response. A writing team? She so did not have time for that.

“Ready Writing. It’d be really fun! Mr. Kent told us we could have pizza study groups and if we do well enough we could make it to state!”

Time nearly alone with her fox of a teacher could almost be worth the pain of being involved in such a geeky activity. Lois brain was spinning in overdrive, weighing the consequences of her actions.

More time to hear that laugh of his that sent those pleasant shivers down her spine… or should she throw that extra time into the case? The case, her *career*, her conscience reminded her fiercely, obviously disgruntled by her baser instincts to ravage the poor man.

“Okay, I’ll do it.”

The lesser half of Lois jumped for joy while the career driven part stalked off to sulk.

Lois’ stomach dropped a little at the wide, sincere smile that Mr. Kent gave her. They were probably close to the same age. It galled her that he thought she was a high school student. Though it was probably for the better, Lois sighed. She didn’t need the distraction of a tall, dark and handsome.

“Okay, so I think we could meet here after school in a few days to get started. I’ll give you a few of last year’s prompts to practice on,” Clark said. He handed out a small stack of papers to each of his students. “Is that okay?”

Garrett nodded and Clark bit his lip to hide a smile as Kaitlin looked up at him from under her lashes. Garrett continued to remain oblivious.

“Kaitlin, why don’t you go grab a bite to eat with Garrett right now?” Clark suggested innocently. Kaitlin turned toward him, her eyes wide and frightened. “You two could look over the prompts.”

“Sure,” Garrett said, shrugging his shoulders. “You can drive with me, Kaitlin. Wanna get some Quiznos?”

The frightened look on Kaitlin’s face gradually shifted into a smile. “Okay!”

Lois and Clark shared a smile before a shadow fell across Kaitlin’s face and she grudgingly turned toward Lois. “Do you need to come too?” she asked.

Lois shook her head and tried not to be too offended at the wide smile that split Kaitlin’s face. Kaitlin hastily followed Garrett out of the door, trying to match his longer strides.

Alone with Mr. Kent. She tried to hide her delight and instead raised her eyebrows at her matchmaking teacher. He gave her an embarrassed smile. “She’s just so shy. It’s really obvious she likes him. And high school boys are real idiots sometimes.”

“That’s the truth,” Lois said. She hesitated. While she had him alone, she should try and pump him for some information. “So Mr. Kent, did you know Beth Warner?”

Clark’s eyes shadowed immediately. “Yes, I did,” he said somberly. “She was a wonderful student.”

“Do you have any idea what could have happened to her?”

“Beth wasn’t the kind of girl to climb in a water tower for kicks, Lois. But unfortunately she had severe confidence issues.” Clarks voice was barely more than a whisper. “I’m afraid she hung out with the wrong crowd.”

It was obvious this topic upset Mr. Kent far more than she had expected. Mindlessly, Lois put a comforting hand on his shoulder. His gaze met her for a moment and she was shocked by the intensity she saw there.

“Lois, please don’t try and join up with Lexy and Jill. I’m afraid they’re very dangerous,” he said hoarsely. “They don’t care what kind of stunts they pull as long as it gives them a laugh.”

Clark stepped back and Lois’ hand fell from his shoulder.

“I can handle things, Mr. Kent,” Lois said. “Thanks for asking me to join the team. I’ll try and write a practice essay for you.” She squinted at his face, but the raw feelings in his eyes were masked again, replaced by the easy smile she recognized.

“Thank you, Lois. Have a good rest of the afternoon.”

Clark turned toward his desk and avoided watching her go. He couldn’t understand why a smart, pretty girl like Lois Lane was hanging out with Jill and Lexy. It was obvious that Lois didn’t lack the confidence to ignore the girls. He couldn’t figure it out and deep down it nagged him. There was something wrong with the entire scenario, but he couldn’t put a finger on it. Sighing, Clark stood up and decided to walk home—anything to delay the inevitable return to his empty apartment.

As Lois jogged down the front steps of Metropolis High, she caught sight of Jill and waved. Jill stopped walking and waited for her to catch up.

“Hi Lois,” she said.

“Jill, hi. What are you doing here so long after school’s been out?”

Jill flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder and rolled her eyes. “Mrs. Krasinski made me stay after school to finish up some problems I missed on my quiz.” She wrinkled her nose in a look of pretty disgust. “What are you doing here?”

“Mr. Kent asked me to join his writing team,” Lois shrugged and chose her next words carefully. She knew that such an “uncool” extracurricular could damage her chances. Time to lie. “I so don’t care about writing, but he’s like, really hot. So I said yeah.”

“Mmm… Hot is right. But don’t mention him around Lexy. She gets a little upset,” Jill lowered her voice conspiratorially. “Don’t tell anyone I told you this, okay?”

Lois nodded enthusiastically and leaned closer.

“But Lexy totally had a thing for Mr. Kent in the beginning of the year. One day she stayed after school and tried to flirt with him a little. He wouldn’t budge at all. He completely ignored her attempts. So she got a little angry and she completely offered to sleep with him.”

Lois’ eyes widened.

“Just like that? She said. “Mr. Kent, I want to sleep with you?”

Jill giggled and slapped her arm. “No, she didn’t sound so stupid. She said in this low voice, oh she would kill me if she knew I was telling you this, but she goes ‘Clark Kent, I can make your wildest fantasies come true.’” Jill burst out into giggles and Lois was hard pressed not to join her as she pictured the scenario.

“Oh my god! Poor Mr. Kent! I bet he flipped.”

“Hell yeah. He firmly told her to go home and the next day he had transferred her out of his class. So the whole Mr. Kent thing is a touchy subject for Lexy.”

Lois shook her head at the sheer brazenness of such an action.

“That’s really crazy. So what’s the plan for tonight?” Lois asked casually, playing on the assumption she was invited. Fortunately, Jill didn’t seem to question her.

“I think we’re going dancing, you up for it?”

“Of course,” Lois smiled and Jill nodded. As they drove off, Clark watched from the window, hating himself for how much he cared.

When Lois pulled up to the slightly dinghy pizza parlor, she had her doubts. The pavement was cracked and rough to drive on, and the paint job could definitely use another coat. She thought back to the immaculate, posh dance club she had attended a few nights ago with Jill. The differences were striking. But before she could fully convince herself that nothing good could come out of such a place, she saw Mr. Kent through the window, already sitting with Garrett and Kaitlin. He gave her a big smile and wave, and she lifted her hand in acknowledgement. Sighing like a martyr at the lengths she’d go to for her story, Lois pushed open the door and took the empty seat by Mr. Kent and Kaitlin.

“Hi guys,” she said, pushing her hair behind her ear. “Nice place.”

“Great! I’m glad you like it,” her teacher said happily, oblivious to her sarcasm. “We waited for you to order. What kind of pizza do you like?”

“Mmm… Pineapple and jalapeno.”

Garrett and Kaitlin blinked at her. She noticed Mr. Kent covered his mouth to hide his smile. “Anything else, Lois?”

“Anchovy. Pineapple, jalapeno, anchovy… oh! And I nearly forgot. Goat cheese. Do you think they have that here?”

Clark had to lean his head into his hand to keep from cracking up at the horrified expressions on Garrett and Kaitlin’s faces.

“That’s perfect, Lois. That’s exactly what I get on my pizza too. Why don’t we get two of those? That should be enough for us four, right?” He innocently raised his eyebrows and after a few more moments of Kaitlin staring at him, she finally cracked a smile.

“Oh you’re joking—good. I thought you were both serious!”

Clark smiled at her and shook his head. “No, I’m not that crazy. How about half cheese, half pepperoni. Does that sound okay to you guys?”

Garrett and Kaitlin nodded and Clark jogged up to the counter to place the order. He had just finished ordering their large pizza when Lois came up beside him at the counter.

“Sir?” she said, stopping the retreating pizza boy. “I’d also like to order a slice of jalapeno, anchovy, pineapple and goat cheese pizza.”

Both the boy and Mr. Kent gaped at her.

“I-I don’t think we have goat cheese,” the boy finally recovered, scrawling down the order. “Jalapeno and anchovy, you’re sure?”

“And pineapple.”

“Your stomach, lady,” he tore off the order and stuck it on a pin to shoot down to the cooks. “Should be ready in like fifteen minutes.”

Lois shot Clark a triumphant smile and sauntered back to their table. Shaking his head in complete admiration, Clark stumbled after her.

“You’re insane.”

“You’re just cowardly. I think it sounds delicious,” she said as she slid into her seat. She pretended not to notice as Garrett and Kaitlin jumped apart guiltily.

“You do not.”

“Yes I do.”

“You can’t. You’d have to have a stomach of steel to digest all of that.” And I’m the only one who can boast *that* claim, he added to himself.

“We’ll just have to see, Mr. Kent. Now let’s get to the point of this whole meeting. Did you grade our papers?”

Feeling like he had just lost a battle he hadn’t been aware he was fighting, it took Clark a moment to refocus.

“Yes. I wrote down some notes and suggestions for you all to follow,” he passed out their respective papers and Lois hid a smile.

“Too much free time, Mr. Kent? You wrote nearly as much as we did.”

Clark blushed, a little thrown by his student’s teasing. He wasn’t used to this. Lana had never teased. And his mom loved to, but he was so use to her good natured jibes he barely registered them anymore. None of his students ever teased him. Except this fascinating contradiction sitting in front of him.

Their conversation eventually switched to their essays. Clark praised Kaitlin on her concise, well thought out points and explained to Garrett how he could improve his. Finally he turned to Lois and his grin widened slightly.

“Lois, yours was wonderful. Now you can see where I marked some points I wish you had clarified slightly, but let me read you this part…” Clark trailed off and picked up Lois’ paper to read aloud the section that had really struck him.

“It was beautifully written, Lois. You’re a natural.”

Though not unaccustomed to effusive praise, Lois couldn’t deny that she flushed a little bit more when Mr. Kent complimented her than when her ancient creative writing teacher had.

“Thank you, Mr. Kent.”

Just then the pizza boy interrupted and set down a large pizza pie in front of Garrett, Kaitlin and Clark. He then returned with a smaller plate for Lois. She warily eyed the unappetizing pizza slice in front of her and her bravado faltered slightly.

Watching her like a hawk, Clark crowed his victory over her. “Aha! You won’t eat it, will you? Admit it. That’s disgusting.”

“That is a very gross looking slice of pizza, Lois,” Kaitlin added supportively as she helped herself to a slice of pepperoni. Garrett grunted slightly and Kaitlin turned back to stare at him.

“I think it looks delicious,” Lois said haughtily. She grabbed the slice and took a big bite, trying not to wrinkle her nose as her mouth was assaulted by the spicy, salty taste.

Clark rested his chin on his hand as he watched Lois struggle to eat her slice. About halfway through, he gently pulled her plate away from her and replaced it with a slice of cheese pizza. After glaring at him warily for a few moments, she accepted the slice and proceeded to eat with a vengeance.

Clark idly glanced at the half eaten pizza and shrugged as he took a big bite. Lois gaped at him as he casually finished the rest of her disgusting pizza and leaned back contentedly.

“Mmm… You’re right, Lois. That was delectable.”

Round two for Clark Kent! He thought victoriously as she stared at him in disbelief. He grinned mischievously and set about polishing off a second slice of the slightly more normal pizza.

I so blame you guys for me posting this. If you didn't just make me feel so wonderful with that gosh darned great feedback... I really truly am leaving today, but I can get on the internet every few days. Please leave me some comments? smile If I can't respond to them fully while I'm gone, I'll definitely do so when I return.

--Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile