From last time:

Lois stared unblinkingly at the spot where he had just been, the tears finally spilling out. The stoic mask had crumbled; her bravado revealed for what it was. She nearly stumbled as she stepped back into the office. Her grief was private, and not something she intended to share with the world's news media. "It's over. Everything's over," she murmured through tears.

Martha and Jonathan stood one on either side of her. For all her newly acquired super strength, she felt as though her legs would buckle underneath her at any moment. She clung to them for support. "I shouldn't have let him go," she sobbed

"You two will find a way," Jonathan said softly. "Dearest Lois, a love that risks nothing is worth nothing." The words sounded hollow and distant to her. How could they find a way? How could she find a way to get through the next hour, the next minute? She couldn't breathe...her chest...it hurt so much...and she couldn't breathe...

Part Nine:

Clark stood on the command bridge of the transport, now wearing a plain black suit like Zara and Ching's. Around him, the sparse crew of the vessel worked quietly, but he ignored them. He couldn't believe it. He couldn't believe he'd left her. He pulled the silver chain out and looked at Lois's ring. 'Lois, I love you,' he thought to himself, secretly willing her to hear it, but knowing that she couldn't.

"Come, Kal El, there is much for us to do," Ching began matter-of-factly as he walked toward him. "Training, language, history, there's much to cover." Clark looked over his shoulder at the other man and regarded him darkly.

"Ching," Zara rebuked. She stood at the entry to the bridge. "Give him a moment."

Ching merely nodded slightly and backed away. Clark resumed gazing out the window at the dark emptiness of space. Stars, scattered all around, twinkled faintly in the distance. It had been a long time since he'd been able to see Earth. The little blue dot had disappeared from view some hours ago, despite his enhanced vision. The sun now just looked like any other star. Ordinary, average. There was nothing special about it. Zara relieved a man from his duty at the helm, taking his place. She seemed to ignore him and he didn't mind.

"I didn't realize you were a pilot," he said to her at last.

"Life on New Krypton is such that even our politicians must have useful skills," she replied.

He grunted in response. If he hadn't known better, he would have thought that she'd just made a joke.

"You should rest, Clark," she said. "Your powers will soon start to fade and you will need your strength. The simulated gravity on the ship will become stronger and stronger to mimic the gravity on New Krypton. And Ching is right; there is work to be done in order to prepare you for life on New Krypton. There is much you will have to learn."

Clark silently left the bridge to return to his Spartan quarters. Maybe he'd be able to sleep. Maybe he'd dream of Lois. He said nothing as he passed Ching on his way to his chambers.

Zara looked up once Clark was gone. "There's a transmission incoming, Ching, retrieve it," she commanded, quickly returning her attention to the task of piloting the ship.

"Of course," he replied.

Ching remained silent for a long while and Zara paused to glance at him. "What is it?" she demanded.

"Shir Om has passed," he replied. "Nor's supporters in the Council are clamoring to proclaim him First Minister. Several jurists have called for your resignation."

"It does not seem that we will be able to return in time to avert war," she reflected.

"Shall I inform Kal El?" Ching asked.

"There is no need now," she replied without emotion. There was no time to grieve their fallen leader or to allow panic to set in. "There is nothing he can do. We must simply concentrate on returning and marshalling our forces to oppose Nor."

"Lois, what are you doing here?" Perry asked gently as he stood over his favorite reporter's desk. She quickly tucked the chain back under her blouse. Apparently superhearing didn't really do a whole lot for people when they were lost in their own thoughts and not paying any attention at all to the world around them.

"I have work to do," she replied unconvincingly. Anyone could have seen through her charade. It was late, the newsroom was deserted, most of the lights were off, and she was sitting at her desk, staring blankly into the distance.

Perry sat on the corner of her desk. "Have you decided how you're going to explain Clark's absence?"

"What?" she asked, pole-axed by his question.

"I know," Perry replied simply. "Figured it out this morning. Suddenly your rush to elope made an awful lot of sense. I haven't told anyone about the wedding, and I won't. If you want, I know a judge, a good friend of mine, I'll file the certificate with him. He can be trusted to be circumspect about it."

She managed a half smile. "Thanks, Perry. I don't imagine I'll be able to keep it secret for too long, but I just don't think I could deal with that right now. As for the explanation of where Clark is, I haven't figured it out quite yet, though I'm leaning toward the idea that he was kidnapped by one of the Kryptonian factions and used as bait for Superman. It'll explain why they both left at the same time and why they'll come back at the same time. That and I don't really like Kryptonians right now. It's nice to blame them for things."

Perry shook his head with a weak laugh. "So Ultrawoman?"

"Is me," Lois replied matter-of-factly.

"Right," Perry agreed with a head nod. "How?"

"Long story," she dismissed. "Tesla coil, electrical transfer of powers... okay, not that long. I tried patrolling today, but there wasn't much to do. Clark was afraid the bad guys would have a field day with Superman's leaving, but I guess they're just as stunned as everyone else."

"How are you holding up?" Perry asked.

Lois merely looked at him. "Sorry, stupid question," he said before she could formulate a reply.

They were both quiet for a long moment. She finally spoke. "You know the expression 'you look like you just lost your best friend?' Yeah, it has new meaning."

"He'll come back," Perry reassured her.

"I know he will," she said.

"I think I told you once that that boy would walk on water for your or...well, given Clark, a couple hundred billion miles or so won't keep him from coming back to you. Anyway, you should try to rest. I'll work out the details of Clark's cover and we'll run something in the evening edition."

"Thanks, Perry," she replied sincerely.

"If, ah, there's anything I can do, anything at all," he began. "Well, you know."

"I do," she said.

"Hey Lois," Jimmy called out to her as he stepped off the elevator and into the newsroom the following morning. He seemed far more subdued than usual, but that was hardly unexpected. "Where's Clark?" he asked almost immediately.

The question cut straight through her and the pain flared up, blossoming in her chest again. "Jimmy, let's go into Perry's office," she suggested. The young man gave her a puzzled look, but she didn't explain further. He followed her into the office.

"What's up, you two?" Perry looked up as the two entered the office.

"Jimmy should know," Lois replied simply, closing the door behind them.

"Know what?" Jimmy and Perry asked simultaneously.

"Everything," Lois replied. "Clark would want him to know."

"Clark? Where is he, by the way?" Jimmy asked.

"Are you sure?" Perry asked.

Lois merely nodded.

"All right," Perry replied. "Jimmy, you might want to sit down for this."

Jimmy's expression belied unmistakable confusion, but he simply sat down as Perry instructed.

"Clark is Superman," Perry said frankly.

"Wha..mphhph..." Jimmy began to yell in surprise but Lois managed to place a hand over his mouth quickly. It wouldn't exactly do for Jimmy to be heard across the newsroom.

"Promise you won't scream?" she asked. Jimmy nodded mutely.

"Heck of a grip, Lois," Jimmy muttered as he rubbed his jaw.

"I'm Ultrawoman," Lois replied.

"You're wha..." Jimmy stopped himself, holding up a hand as if to signal that he promised not to yell if Lois refrained from silencing him again. He remained quiet for a long moment.

"You okay, Jimmy?" Perry asked.

"I think I need to sit down," the younger man managed at last.

"You are sitting down," Lois replied.

Jimmy looked down. "Right, I knew that," he said absently. "You guys lied to me," he added, his voice quiet.

Lois shook her head. "Perry didn't know until yesterday..."

"But you knew," Jimmy replied.

"I found out last year," Lois admitted.

"Why didn't he tell me? I feel like such an idiot, I thought he was two different people and Ultrawoman..." Jimmy blanched. "Oh man," he groaned as his face turned red. He looked down at the ground and covered his face with his hands. "I...I was...man, I made a fool of myself!"

"You're not an idiot, Jimmy," Perry responded gently. "We all thought Clark was two different people."

"I was his partner for two years, I dated him for months without ever knowing," Lois admitted softly. She leaned against the wall, her arms crossed over her chest, her posture defensive as she guarded against an intangible danger - the sharp edge of memories that threatened to cut deep and bleed her dry again. "He proposed without ever telling me."

Jimmy looked up, his eyes narrowed in disbelief. "Really?"

"Really." Lois sighed, the memory festering deep inside, threatening to open old wounds. "Not his brightest move." She managed a weak smile at the thought.

"So why are you telling me now?" Jimmy asked, his words deliberate and slow.

"Clark wanted you to know," she replied.

"And we need your help, keeping his secret," Perry added.

"The only other people who know are his parents," Lois continued. "But Clark and I decided that you should know. I don't think I have to tell you how important and how dangerous this secret is, but we trust you."

"Oh," Jimmy managed inarticulately.

"We need to create a plausible cover for Clark's disappearance," Perry continued.

Lois watched as Jimmy sat dumbly, trying to follow along as Perry detailed their planned explanation. Perry left out the wedding and for it, she was grateful. She didn't want to explain it, or why she didn't plan on telling anyone. It was deeply private and she wanted to keep it that way, or as close as possible, for as long as she could. She was already dreading her parents finding out about Clark's 'abduction.' She was too emotionally exhausted to think about what would happen.

At least, given their cover story, she wouldn't have to pretend that things were okay for another moment longer. News would hit very soon that Clark was gone and that Superman had promised to bring him back as soon as possible. She'd be allowed to fall apart, to play the heartbroken fiancée, without fear of rumors stirring up again about her and Superman. Lois found herself wanting to run away and hide before the outpouring of sympathy began. She wasn't certain she'd be able to bear the sympathetic looks and the condolences of everyone around her, even if they meant well. Maybe Ultrawoman would be needed and she'd be able to stay busy that way. Work was always an escape for her, and now she had two jobs she could escape into; she'd need every moment of both of them.

"So, if Clark's been abducted by aliens," Jimmy began. "Wow, that didn't sound nearly as weird in my head as it did out loud...anyway, if Clark's been taken by the Kryptonians, and we're going to break the story, shouldn't Lois not be at work, acting as if everything's okay?"

"Good point," Perry replied. He looked at Lois. "You should probably go home...or patrol...or just stay under the radar, well as Lois, anyway, I guess."

Lois wasn't sure which surprised her more, Jimmy's sudden level headedness in spite of learning Clark's secret or his suggestion that she leave. "What about the story?" she asked.

"Jimmy and I will take care of the story," Perry replied nonchalantly. Out of the corner of her eye, Lois saw Jimmy try to suppress a look of surprised delight.

"All right," she acquiesced. "I'll go." Lois headed toward the door.

"Wait," Jimmy called after her.

She turned around and was taken by surprise when the young man hugged her tightly. She hugged him back, appreciating the simple gesture of support and caring.

"Take care of yourself," he said quietly.

"So how long will it take to get to New Krypton?" Clark asked Ching as he followed the other man through the corridors and to the command bridge. It was their second day traveling and by all indicators, there were many more ahead.

"Roughly two earth months," Ching replied. "New Krypton is approximately twenty-five light years away from Earth."

"How far away was Krypton?" Clark asked.

"Less than half that distance."

"But how?" Clark was puzzled. "I mean, that's so close, shouldn't we have known it was there?"

Ching opened the door to the command bridge and they stepped through and into the wide-open space at the helm of the ship. "Krypton was a tiny planet, a planetismal, really, that orbited a very small, very weak red sun. Your scientists may have spotted it, they may have even recorded when it was destroyed, but I hardly think they paid it much mind."

"And there was this race of people, us, just like people on Earth, that close by?" The odds were too fantastical to contemplate.

"Well, our people were removed from Earth and marooned there some millennia ago, I doubt that whomever did the marooning really thought much about settling us further from Earth. Why bother?" Ching barely glanced at him as he checked the Ensign's log. Satisfied that all was well, he made his way to the navigator's station.

"Wait a minute, what?"

"Pardon?" Ching replied, not bothering to look up.

"What do you mean the Kryptonians were removed from Earth?" Clark demanded.

"Kryptonians originally come from Earth," Ching explained. "Did your parents not tell you that?"

Clark looked at him stunned. "I guess it's something they left out," he replied drolly.

Ching sighed with apparent exasperation. "Some other race, apparently enamored of Earth and its inhabitants began removing groups of people, entire civilizations even, from Earth some eight thousand years ago. They stranded their subjects on a rather barren little space rock not too far from Earth, but remote enough to never be noticed. They continued to meddle with your civilizations for some time, intervening whenever they felt like it, but they apparently tired of us much more quickly."

The whole thing made no sense as far as Clark was concerned, but it didn't keep him from continuing to ask questions. "So Krypton was some sort of intergalactic ant farm, then?"

"Ant farm?" Ching looked thoroughly confused. "Who would want to farm ants?"

"Never mind," Clark replied. "The whole planet was a science experiment then?"

"Apparently," Ching replied as he checked the ship's diagnostics. "Ensign Parth, what is the capacity of the fuel cells?" he demanded.

"Seventy five percent plus reserves, sir," a young officer whom Clark recognized from previous trips to the bridge replied.

"Very good," Ching replied.

"This can't be!" Clark exclaimed.

"The fuel cells?" Ching asked.

"No, not the fuel cells, Ching, the crazy story you're telling me about Krypton."

"And what is so strange about it? Isn't it stranger to try to imagine two species of beings, separated by unfathomable gaps in time and space evolving to look and move and behave exactly the same? Doesn't it make more sense to accept that the people of Earth and Krypton are of one race?"

"Well, yeah, when you put it that way, but no. What about the powers, the differences? Do you have any idea how isolating it was, growing up? How strange it was to be different? And now you're telling me that I'm not? That I felt that alone, that disconnected from the world for no reason?"

"Kal El, are you honestly that slow-witted?"

Clark was taken aback. "What?" Had he heard Ching properly?

"The alienation you describe, the loneliness, the isolation, that's simply life. Everyone is alone, everyone is isolated. Everyone is a stranger in a strange land, as Earth people say. Being alone is being human. It always has been. You merely assumed that it was because you were different. It was because you were exactly the same. People have their different reasons for it, the things that make their case special, but in the end, they all feel the same thing. The sense that they face the world alone, even in a crowd."

Clark stared at him and couldn't think of a thing to say. Ching apparently didn't notice. Ching finally looked up from his monitor, but not at Clark. "Good work, everyone. Now not another word in English from here to New Krypton."

Ching said something to him that was completely unintelligible, but Clark managed to figure out rather quickly that Ching was ordering him to follow him. They left the bridge, Ching continuing to speak in Kryptonian, and Clark was certain that it was going to be a long day.

Four Weeks Later...

Lois stepped out of the elevator and into the newsroom later than usual that morning. She was surprisingly tired, but blamed it on a night that had her racing from one rescue to the next. Ultrawoman had been needed again this morning thanks to a major pile up on the interstate just outside the city limits. The rescue had gone well; no fatalities and all of the injured were safely and quickly evacuated to nearby hospitals with the judicious use of superpowers. She'd even managed to scribble down some notes for the story before heading in to work.

She stifled a yawn as she made her way to her desk. Was she really that tired? Who are you kidding, Lane? She thought to herself. Of course she was that tired. The nights she didn't spend staring up at the sky, wondering where Clark was and whether he was safe, she spent at one emergency or another. When she slept, she dreamt of him and she'd wake up alone and it would hurt just as badly as it did the morning he left. When she couldn't sleep, she'd patrol, thankful for something to do, but knowing that she wasn't getting enough rest, even for a super-powered being.

Reminders of Clark had begun popping up all around her apartment and her desk at work. At first, the reminders would often just bring her pain, but now, she felt lost without them. A picture here, a silly memento there. Anything that reminded her of better times soon found its way onto the display spaces of her home and her desk at work. And at night, she'd go home and pull on his Midwestern State sweatshirt, many sizes too big, but soft and comfortable and comforting. Clarkie the Bear, the little black and white stuffed animal he'd won for her at the Corn Festival had also found his way out of her closet and onto her bed.

These tangible reminders along with her memories were all that she could cling to in search of her connection to him. Deep down, she was so afraid that time would make the memories fade. In her mind's eye, she could still see him perfectly, every detail, every tiny element was crystal clear, but would it stay that way? She told herself it would, that she could never forget, that the details would never blur with time, never go fuzzy or fade. But how long would it be before she'd no longer be able to hear the sound of his laughter in her mind? Would she always be able to picture the way his eyes lit up when he smiled? Would she always remember the way he smelled, the unique blend of his cologne and the scent of his skin that was so comforting? Would she be able to recreate in her thoughts the way it felt to hold his hand or kiss him, or make love with him? The memories were there, but how long before they dimmed, before the images lost their brightness and looked like old weathered and washed out photographs? The physical things, the ones she could hold on to, literally, she needed them. They couldn't fade, couldn't get distorted with time.

She looked at the picture frame on her desk. It held a picture of them from the Kerth ceremony some time ago. They looked so happy in the photograph. Why hadn't she realized she was in love with him that very night? Why hadn't she admitted it to herself then? If she hadn't been so stubborn, if she hadn't been so afraid, so blind, she could have told him she loved him right then and there and then they wouldn't have wasted so much time...

Had they wasted time? She cherished every minute she'd had with him, as partners, as friends and as lovers. Every moment with him had been a gift, and every moment had shaped her, changed her life, for the better, she knew. If she could have gone back in time and changed things, sped them up, would she have? Or did they need all of that time as friends, getting to know each other, falling in love at their own pace? No, she wouldn't have changed a moment of it. Those memories, the time they'd had, that was what she clung to, she couldn't have jeopardized any part of it.

Lois fought back another yawn and tried to shake herself awake. She was tired. Were super-powered people supposed to get this fatigued? She'd spent plenty of time in the sunlight, so it wasn't a lack of sunshine that was doing this to her. So why was she so sleepy? Coffee would help. She'd gotten lazy about getting her own coffee over the years, she mused with a wry half smile. She stood up and suddenly felt completely lightheaded. Something was entirely wrong. Was there Kryptonite around? The dizziness became nausea and she felt herself beginning to panic. Clark didn't get queasy, she shouldn't, either. She put her hands on her desk to steady herself. What was going on? She tried to X Ray scan the newsroom to see if there was anything making her sick. Her powers were working just fine, but nothing. No evil little glowing green rocks, no tell tale lead anywhere.

She took a deep breath and made her way to the coffee pot, pouring herself a cup. She took another deep breath as she raised the cup, breathing in the scent of the coffee. And that was it. She placed the cup down unceremoniously, harmlessly splashing some of the hot liquid on her hand, as she bolted from the newsroom.

Half an hour later, she stood in front of the sink in her own bathroom. It couldn't be, she said to herself as she ran the cold water. It just couldn't be. She should have known, but she hadn't been paying attention at all. She'd been too distracted. Lois stared unbelieving at the mirror. A stranger seemed to peer back at her. It couldn't be, she told herself again.

But it was.

"Come on, Kal El," Ching commanded in Kryptonian as he readied his quarterstaff.

Clark paced around the padded gymnasium of the transport, balancing the staff in his hands, preparing for another round of it. His entire body was sore. He hated being without his powers. "Would you please call me Clark?" he asked of Ching. His Kryptonian was coming along slowly, but reasonably well. The language was just so different from anything he'd ever studied before - different cases and tenses for situations he'd never even thought of before.

"Your birth name is Kal El, your people will know you as Kal El. If you wish to lead Kryptonians, you must be a Kryptonian." They clashed, quarterstaffs connecting with a satisfying 'crack.'

"Well that's a shame, because I'm not all that Kryptonian," Clark returned as he defended against Ching's attack.

"You will be," Ching responded tersely, focusing on his series of parries and ripostes. He came down hard with an over the top attack that Clark blocked with his staff horizontal. Ching pressed down, causing Clark's knees to buckle. He felt himself begin to sink. Focusing his strength, he managed to stand, causing Ching to lose his balance. Clark swept Ching's legs out from underneath him and the other man was sent tumbling to the mat. Finally, Clark had bested him. He extended a hand to Ching who grudgingly accepted it and allowed Clark to help him up.

"You still have much to learn," Ching said sternly.

"I get that," Clark replied.

"Do you?" Ching asked.

"What exactly do you want from me, Ching?" Clark replied, exasperated with the other man.

"I want to know what kind of man you are, Kal El, whether you will be able to handle the responsibilities you'll have to undertake on New Krypton."

"We already had a really nice series of tests back on Earth, Ching, remember?" Clark asked, glaring at Ching through narrowed eyes. "You tried to kill me and the woman I love, I threatened you, it was a touching moment." Through his venom, he wondered if the other man would understand the sarcasm.

Ching merely ignored it. "There is a saying among our people: the measure of a person is not merely what he believes, but also what he is willing to sacrifice. What are you willing to sacrifice?"

"Were we both there at those tests, Ching?" Clark asked incredulously. "Because one of us seems to have a faulty memory."

"My memories of the event are perfect. Are you willing to make the ultimate sacrifice?"

"My life?"

"The lives of others, Kal El. Can you watch others die for a cause that is just?"

Clark wanted to answer, but honestly, how could he? He knew this was a war, he'd contemplated the fact that he might die many times, but had he really allowed himself to think about leading others into battle, knowing that many would die? Could he do that? Could he live with himself if he did?

"Coming!" Martha shouted as she raced from the den to the front door. She wasn't expecting any visitors, but it was possible Wayne was just stopping by to say hello. She looked through the window and her heart sank. Poor dear, she thought to herself. Being alone in Metropolis was probably making her miserable, though Lois rarely visited in the middle of a weekday. She opened the door to find Lois standing there, looking so small and lost, her brown eyes filled with tears.

The younger woman sobbed as Martha threw her arms around her. Fear gripped Martha's heart as she wondered what could have possibly driven Lois to this state. Was there news about Clark? Had something gone wrong?

Lois hugged her tightly. "Martha," she managed, her body shuddering. She trembled as she wept uncontrollably. "I'm pregnant," Lois whispered through tears.