ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, what do you think?

#44676 07/22/07 10:07 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Love it!!! For a minute I thought Clark had succumbed to kryptonite (burning up symptoms)... but I guess it's just magic? Looking forward to more thumbsup thumbsup dance dance smile

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#44677 07/22/07 10:17 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Yay!!! Shayne is back!

Good chapter as always, Shayne. Being as Clark-and-Lois-centric as I am, I really, really worry about Clark in this part, though. This was so scary:

He wasn't dead; that much was a blessing. But no matter how hard Lois tried, she couldn't get him to wake up. He was burning up; it was painful to touch him for more than a few moments at a time.

Clark didn't look real like this; his face looked waxen and there was a sheen of sweat on his brow. Lois had never seen him sweat on even the hottest of days while wearing a tie and a jacket. It all seemed wrong.
Horror!!!!

I absolutely loved how you wrote about Lois's musings about Clark, and why she was so attracted to him:

Objectively, Lois knew that was part of what made this hurt so much. Clark was an enigma still, and she was able to fill in the gaps of what she knew with the fantasy of her perfect man.

It was the same thing that allowed cheaters to think that their lover was more perfect than their spouse. It wasn't until they woke up and discovered that their lover had the same flaws and the same morning breath that they realized that they'd made a mistake.
This is so poignant, so true. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... except perhaps it isn't.

I love how Lois try to picture the faults and flaws that Clark must have:

People were imperfect. Just because Clark wasn't human didn't make him any different than any other man. He probably squeezed toothpaste from the middle of the tube, left the toilet seat up and threw his underwear on the floor beside the hamper.
Oh, Shayne. You made me groan and giggle at this.

He couldn't be as perfect for her as Lois was thinking.
Ah, but... that is the beauty and the wonder of an LnC fic. Because you see, Lois, he is just as perfect for you as you imagine that he is.

It kept nagging at her, this feeling that she might have met the perfect person and let him slip away from her.
And that's why you mustn't let him slip away from you! You must protect him, Lois!

Wow! Great chapter, Shayne. I liked the interaction between Lois and Buffy and Lois and Faith, too. But of course, my overriding priority is seeing you (and Lois) save Clark here!

Ann

#44678 07/22/07 05:47 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh WOW!

It embodies completely what both (all 3 if you include Angel) shows were and who Lois is, and what a slayer is... so true to their TV representations...

You should be a script writer Shayne,.. but I guess you can't get this kind of emotion out in a TV show like you can in the written word.

Lois's thoughts and self assessment are excellent..
I love tuning in to see the next installments of this story.

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
#44679 07/23/07 02:52 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Faith is the perfect person to have this conversation with Lois, much better than Buffy. Her take on the situation ought to be interesting.

BTW, did you notice that the bulletin board software censored you a little?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#44680 07/23/07 07:08 AM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
I totally agree with Marcus that Faith is the perfect person to see Lois' guilt and help her deal with it. Another great part!

#44681 07/23/07 01:29 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Actually, I'm glad I was wrong about Clark saving the day. I'm glad Lois had to help him instead. It's a clear indication that he's not invulnerable against these evildoers.

Where's Lex Luthor when you need a villain, anyway?

I'm still with you, Shayne. I'm waiting to see how Lois explains the "look in her eye" to Faith and Buffy. Speaking of that, Buffy seems to be less prominent in this story than Faith so far. Is that by design, or is it just my perception?

Nah, doesn't matter. It's still great. Keep it coming!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#44682 07/23/07 04:25 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Speaking to Terry first, it's by design that we see Faith more than Buffy. First, I've mostly stayed with peripheral characters in an effort to keep the focus of the story on Lois, where it belongs. Secondly, Buffy is a lighter character than Faith, and really, she's a bit judgemental about certain sorts of things, including slayers killing humans. The last thing Lois needs is people being judgemental.

Third, this is a darker fic than the mainstream Buffyverse. Partially this is because it is shown through the lens of a traumatized Lois, but still, Faith is more in keeping with the tone of the story than a lighter character, Buffy is.

Fourth, Faith has been through something very similar to Lois. At this point, that gives them more to talk about.

Fifth, Faith sometimes gets short shrift, so it's nice to mix things up a bit!

Thanks for the feedback Terry.

Anks, I was hoping to get through a whole story without kryptonite showing its ugly head. Maybe I will. smile

As always, your comments are greatly appreciated Ann and Lisamaree.

Marcus, I hadn't noticed. I feel like an *** . evil

Thanks for sticking with me so long on a crossover of all things. I know they aren't all that popular with this fandom.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard