ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, let me know what you think.

#44360 07/11/07 07:26 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Whoa! *shiver* That's quite a tale you tell. Especially this discussion between Lois and Clark at the end, about killing people, really sent shivers up and down my spine. thumbsup

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#44361 07/11/07 09:39 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
What a superb part, Shayne! The conversation between Lois and Clark cut like the scalpels of surgeons and laid bare the throbbing tumours of pain underneath the skin:

“I can't believe you're giving up,” Lois scowled. “So you just want to walk away?”

“I killed someone tonight,” Clark said. He was silent for a long moment. “How am I supposed to live with that?”

The question hung in the air between them. It was the same question Lois had been asking herself for days.

How did you go on after you have done the unthinkable?
Yes, how? What do you do when you have to look at the blood on your hands and know that you can't wash it away? Lady MacBeth killed herself.

“You killed something tonight.” Lois said finally. Her throat constricted. This wasn't a conversation she wanted to be having with Clark. “It wasn't human.”

“That makes it all right?” Clark said. “I'm not human. Clem isn't human. We've seen a lot of people tonight who didn't look human. Is that enough to make it ok to kill them?”
The bleakness of Clark's reply to Lois puts the question of anybody's right to life in stark relief. Clark is not human, and Clem the demon is not human. Does that make it all right to kill them? And who has the right to be judge, jury and executioner?

“You were protecting Jimmy,” Lois said quietly. “You had no choice.”

“There's always another choice. I just didn't want to take it.” Clark scowled. “Part of me has been waiting for this since I was ten years old. I've dreaded it all my life.”
When I first read this, I read "Part of me has been waiting for this" as "Part of me has been wanting this", and I thought there was a horrible, unspeakable truth in that. We are not all good, and I can't believe that even Clark is all good. I can imagine that a part of him, a small part of him, has sometimes wanted to just let go, to use his strength without holding back on those who deserved it... and if only a small part of him wanted it, it would be even more imperative for him never to give in to his darkest wishes. And now that he has, it would be like seeing himself defeated by his own inner demons.

And like Lady MacBeth, he knows that the blood will never come off.

“Clark…” Lois wasn't sure what to say. Communicating her emotions had always been difficult. She'd learned early on that what she said would be used against her later. It had always been easier just to go on the offensive.

People were less likely to find the hurtful things to say if they were off balance.
Lois has so rarely tried to comfort other people with words. But now she has to find the right things to say to Clark.

“It all happened so fast,” Clark said. “I should have blown him out. It's just…when I saw the fire, I froze.”

He'd probably been frozen, horrified. He hadn't seen how terribly flammable the things had been at the Cortez ranch. It must have flabbergasted him to realize what was happening.
Yes, he didn't want to kill that vampire. The large, overwhelming part of him, the part of him that was in command (as usual), didn't want to kill the vampire. But he was so shocked at the sight of the absolutely unexpected roaring flames that he couldn't react adequately.

“I forgot tonight just how fragile people are. That's something I can never afford to forget. You just don't understand.”

“I understand,” Lois said softly. “You think I don't understand how easy it is? They're so fragile.

Lois closed her eyes as an image of flying teeth and cracking bones came to mind. She shuddered.

“It's so easy to break bones.” Lois continued. The feeling of Olaf's wrist under her fingers, snapping like a stick made her fingers twitch.
Lois understands, Clark. She does.

At least Clark was looking at her now. “I'm supposed to be better than that.”

“Better than me, you mean.” Lois closed her eyes.

Clark touched her arm and said, “No…I didn't mean…”
Clark has been telling himself that all his life: he is supposed to be better than that. Better than people who choose to kill. Clark is supposed to choose to save lives, not to take them. But those people who have chosen to take lives... were they always absolutely wrong? Were they evil?

“You killed something accidentally tonight, Clark.” Lois shook her head. “Something that would have killed Jimmy and would have gone on and on, killing until it was killed.”

Deep in her stomach she knew she was right. Not killing the thing would have been the greater crime, because it would have meant being responsible for the deaths of everyone the thing killed after it was released.
Killing that vampire was the right thing to do. There can be no question about it. And yet Clark wasn't going to kill it, and he only did so accidentally. And if he hadn't killed it, the vampire would have gone on and on, killing more and more people.

“I killed people, Clark.” Lois looked up at him finally. ”I've killed people, and I knew what I was doing.”

The words hung in the air between them like a death knell.
And Lois finds it in herself, finally, to tell Clark something about what she did in the Congo. And now she expects Clark to reject her, to look at her with horror and condemnation in his eyes. But he won't do that, Lois. And now you really need to tell him the full story of what happened to you in the Congo. Because the two of you need to save each other.

Ann

#44362 07/11/07 11:08 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow...excellent part, Shayne. smile I really like the way your words flow so effortlessly.

My favourite line?

The thought of Clark in even another living woman’s arms was bad enough.
I like to think it's alluding to a possible future romance... Is it? Hmm? laugh

Well done!

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
#44363 07/12/07 12:42 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great part. I keep forgetting that they really don't know that much about vampires. Heat vision seemed like a wonderful tool to take them out to me--then I remembered that they don't know that there are few things that can hurt the vamps. . . eek (BTW--the two of them NEED a teacher here--Faith, Buffy and crew, even Angel and crew would do--before they dig themselves a hole they can't get out of.)

Please let Clark's compassion come out now that Lois has made her confession--she needs it and so does he.

Wonderful story --keep it coming please smile1

Vonceil

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H two O
Was really H two S O four.
--Lab safety limrick--
#44364 07/12/07 07:45 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh great chapter, I love the ending. finally honesty and shared guilt! Loved it. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#44365 07/12/07 08:11 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I've been anxious for them to have this conversation - just hoping they can resolve their guilt without self-destructing.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#44366 07/12/07 12:00 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Interesting as ever. Good take on Clark's guilty feelings.

I'm interested to see where you might go if one of the vamps decide to take a bite out of Clark.

A few years back the comic books did a story where Lois and Clark have a run in with a vampire. The resolution of that story was quite interesting. I wonder if you don't have something similar in mind.

Looking forward to more.

Tank (who is especially interested in seeing where these so-called slayer powers will actually take Lois)

#44367 07/12/07 02:43 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I agree that the conversation they're about to have is more than timely. Clark can see that Lois cares about what happens to the people she hurts, and maybe he can figure out that he's not quite as stained with horror as he imagines he is. And he can also help to comfort Lois, who's now close to thinking that she's only the tiniest bit different from Angelica and her minions.

Oh, Tank, back in chapter 15, when they were in the library, Angelica tried to bite Clark and hurt herself, just as Marcus was about to kill Lois. Angelica's scream distracted the witch holding them still and allowed both Clark and Lois to take action to save themselves and Jimmy (for that moment, anyway).

Which brings up another point. Clark surely didn't put Jimmy in a taxi and give the driver his parents' address in Smallville. He had to have flown Jimmy out there, which means that there is another human who knows about his powers. Wonder how that's going to monkey up the works later on?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#44368 07/14/07 04:56 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
my fave line..

Lois suspected that she’d make a horrific vampire.
wink

lookng fwd to what Clark has to say to Lois' admission smile

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard