Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#44195 07/03/07 05:35 PM
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Wow. *is blown away* that was tragically sad. But in one of those good ways. The kind that makes you appreciate things and life. If that makes sense... Anyway, as I said before... I was near tears, that was so well written and thoughtful. I must admit the end confused me a little, however. Tempus? Does she really love Tempus? Or am I missing some really glaring sign?

"What we shared was so beautiful, Clark. You're a very giving and loving man. Find someone who'll make you happy, who can accept everything about your life. Someone who can live tucked away from the rest of the world. She'll have to be happy with just you and nothing else."

Her hands tightened around his neck, drawing them even closer as she tried to comfort him, her lips drawing dangerously close to his, wishing she could only want only him.

"So how do we say goodbye?" Clark asked as his hands moved up her arms to mesh themselves in her hair. "How do I say goodbye to the only woman I've ever loved? Ever will love?"

Tears pooled in her brown eyes as she searched his face for some kind of answer. "It's all still here, the Kent/Lane magic - just like we never left."
whinging It's all so sad!

But really beautiful as well. Wow. Thanks for coming back to L and C!

--Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#44196 07/03/07 06:10 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
terrific... evil

so I'll say again.. a fabulous story laugh (although I'm a pure Lois-AND-Clark supporter)

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#44197 07/03/07 06:44 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
You're kidding, right?

Lois Lane - in any universe - gives up Clark Kent for Tempus? Or was she doing something else, some kind of elaborate double-bait switch to keep Clark safe while she exposes Tempus?

It's very hard to wrap my mind around the concept that Lois could move on while Clark was alive, or that Clark could move on while Lois still lived. And while it was very romantic of her to offer to sleep with him just once more, it seems a bit hard-hearted if she's met someone else.

This is most assuredly not our Lois. This is an alt-world tale for sure. It's beautifully written, capturing the agony of Clark's soul and letting us know just what he's going to miss for the rest of his life. Definitely a two-hankie vignette.

So when's the next part coming? I agree that this could (and probably should) be a longer story, especially if things aren't what they seem where Lois is concerned. Oh, and you should use the little blue arrow, too. I almost missed it, and I would have been sad without knowing why.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#44198 07/03/07 09:20 PM
Columnist
Columnist
wildguy When is the next part coming?!

You can't just throw out Tempus's name and leave it at that!

grovel Please come back and fix this!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#44199 07/04/07 02:48 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Well written, moving story.

This is a concept that I can truly buy into. No matter how much they may love each other, Lois could never live in the fishbowl that would be the life with a public Superman. And that doesn't even consider the danger that she would constantly be exposed to.

The reason given for the secret identity had always been that Clark wouldn't be able to have a 'regular' life if everyone knew. But if would be worse for Lois. She wouldn't be able to have any life. As mentioned, she would have to be shut away some where, never being able to do anything, or go anywhere, without him. She'd have to live her whole life only with and for him. As much as she may love him, this would kill Lois. She would not only lose who she is, but she would have no existence without him. Her spirit would die.

Instead, she had to choose to live with the pain and make the best out of a life where she could still be who she is. In a way, this shows us that Lois is indeed the stronger of the pair. They are in a nearly untenible situation, but she has taken the initiative to make a choice, while Clark merely waited, hoping she'd come up with a miracle solution.

She made the tough choice, and decided that a somewhat less happy life was better than no life at all. Clark is now 'forced' to finally confront what he knew all along was inevitable.

I wouldn't put much stock into the 'John Tempus' thing. I believe that was merely a tongue-in-cheek wink to the gentle readers. But who knows...?

Tank (who thinks that Clark's only choice is to become a hedonistic playboy and have meaningless flings with super models and starlets...the poor bastard wink )

#44200 07/04/07 02:53 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
OMG, that was so sad and touching. I'm in tears. That ending was just cruel though. laugh Tempus?!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#44201 07/04/07 03:38 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I agree with Tank. I can buy into Lois making that decision. You wrote the agony so well. I was enthralled they entire time I was reading it.

But I do have to admit that I was a little confused. At first I thought this was following some other story. I think it might have been too late at night when I was reading it, but I felt like the beginning was missing, like I had missed the part right before this that explained what was going on. But once I got to the end I wasn't quite as confused and I now enjoy the bit of mystery thrown into the story.

For the record though, I did not enjoy the added mystery of Tempus' name thrown in without any explanation! I was sad and moved by the story and then... eek . I can see how the story can end there as a kind of "surprise ending." It would be nice to explore this a little more though. *wink wink*

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
#44202 07/04/07 05:19 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh you are WICKED! There I was reaching for the tissues and you flung that curve ball and got me in the head! Nice throw! thumbsup

Ha! Last goodbye? I think not!

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#44203 07/04/07 05:58 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Missy! I'm so glad you're back. You made a grand entrance as usual and left quite an impression. I have been reading a story that you never finished, What's Love Got to Do With It?, over and over again, and just wishing that you would come back one day and finish it. I've missed your writing!

This story was beautiful yet so sad. I agree that I cannot imagine Lois leaving Clark for Tempus in any universe. But still an excellent story.

Please don't go away again...especially without finishing your other story. Keep us graced with your wonderful writing!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
#44204 07/04/07 07:21 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Missy, count me as another who's glad to see you back.

But have to say, I took this story differently - I thought it was a terrific satire of the soap opish trap that we sometimes fall into. So I had a nice giggle at the ending, as well as a few smiles throughout as I read.

Must be the strange place my head's at these days.

But, tell the truth, didn't you write this tongue-in-cheek? smile

c

#44205 07/04/07 04:41 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh gosh!! To tell the truth I don't know where I was mentally when I wrote this. Part of me was aiming for the tragic ending to love story, another was trying to milk all the emotion I could get out of the situation, and I guess throwing Tempus in there was a way for Lois to justifiy her finally ending the hopeless relationship of a very public life with Alt-Clark.

IMO, this Clark has no choice in his life. He's Superman/Clark with no secrets to the world and desparetely wants to find some kind of normalcy to his life in the midst of all this public exposure.

Lois had been his anchor for a while - until she had been overcome from being held prisoner for Superman. I thought this would be too much for her after the Congo. She's striving to be the hard hitting reporter she once was before that fateful trip, but an incident where she was held captive because of Superman had strongly shaken her.

As for the Tempus injection.... I was hoping to leave it to the imagination of the readers what had happened. Three long years had pasted since they've been separated as a couple.

Finally, Lois finds a seemingly normal guy who's very interested in her. (Fill in between the lines WHY, especially since Tempus has been searching for alt-u's to rule.)

Once again, thanks for all the old and new friends reponses to my atttempt to ease back into L&C. I saw the Superman Returns movie for the first time a week and a half ago and then the magic of all that was L&C tugged at my heart again.

Sheila - God willing, I'm finishing What's Love!

I just need a couple of naggers/BR's for the long haul.

I want to finish it. It's near and dear to my heart.

Thanks again for all of ya'll reports!!!!

MissyG

#44206 07/04/07 06:10 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow! Tempus? What an ending! So does Clark remember that Tempus is evil and let her marry him to destroy Utopia? Does H.G. come to the rescue? No, no this universe is all twisted! Fix it<g>. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#44207 07/04/07 08:41 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I'll volunteer for the nagging job on What's Love. I became absolutely addicted to that story. It's been a while, though, so I'd probably have to re-read it--which I'm very much willing to do if it means you'll finish it! (Hint, hint) wink

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
#44208 07/05/07 05:08 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Oh my freaking God! I'm sitting here thinking, what a nice, sad, little story, written so well, just the thing to read over lunch (and all of this is still true, of course) and then you go and shock the hell out of me! What a way to take several months off my life. smile

Good story, Missy!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#44209 07/05/07 11:20 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
A littel addendum to the story.

Lois didn't know what it was about John Tempus that attracted her. Maybe it was because he was just such a darn nice guy.

Tank (who couldn't resist)

#44210 07/10/07 05:24 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I had very similar thoughts, Tank.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#44211 07/29/07 11:19 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Missy - I'm with the others - 1/1 just doesn't seem right!!!

So glad to see you writing again!!!

Count me in as a nagger!!
Carol

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard